Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Myths We Wish Would Die

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-23, 04:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...do you understand that my comment referenced the "like" it got, and who provided it ?
You appear to be fully involved in this "discussion" now, and considering the fact that you came late to the party, I guess you have nothing else to do.
​​​​​​He liked it because he got the joke. Apparently it went over your head. I'm in the discussion now, so what? I'm having fun with it. Unlike you, I haven't insulted other people for engaging in it.
Old 02-24-23, 04:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I think my AI is smarter than yours.

Q: Is there any case to be made for allowing dogs to vote in the United States?

A:No, there is no case to be made for allowing dogs to vote in the United States.

Voting is a right and responsibility that is reserved for human citizens who are able to understand and make informed decisions about the candidates and issues at hand. Dogs, as much as we love them, lack the cognitive abilities to comprehend and participate in the voting process.

Furthermore, allowing animals to vote would open up a whole host of logistical and ethical issues. For example, how would we determine which dogs are eligible to vote? How would we ensure that their votes are not influenced by their owners or other external factors? It would also raise questions about the value and representation of animal interests in society.

In short, while we cherish our furry companions, they are not eligible to participate in the democratic process. Voting is a privilege reserved for human citizens who are able to understand and make informed decisions.

My point was that AI gives you the answer you want based on how you ask the question. You were the one who actually thought you were proving something by posting AI generated answers, but this post proves my point--AI is an absurd tool to cite as authority.

You do understand that all it's doing is drawing ideas from unspecified sources. It lacks the capacity to determine whether the information is actually reliable or not, or making a judgment like if something is significant or not.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-24-23, 04:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by linda77
I completely agree that there are many bike myths out there that need to be debunked in order to encourage more people to use bikes as a sustainable mode of transportation. One of the biggest myths is that cycling is dangerous, when in fact, studies have shown that the health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks by a factor of 20 to 1.

Another myth is that cycling is only for the fit and athletic, when in reality, there are many different types of bikes and cycling styles that can accommodate people of all fitness levels and abilities. Electric bikes, for example, can make cycling accessible to people who might otherwise be deterred by physical limitations.

It's also important to dispel the myth that cycling is only for short distances. While cycling is certainly a great option for commuting and running errands in the city, it's also possible to take longer rides and use bikes for recreational purposes.

​AI 100%. Was this supposed to be a trap?
Old 02-24-23, 06:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I just noticed that all the posters who say that weight makes no difference are the the very ones who have spend many thousand of dollars on the lightest bikes and wheelsets that they could find. .Some of them are riding $ 4000 ultralight wheelsets without valve stem nuts and caps to save even more weight and now they're arguing that wheel weight makes no difference...LOL
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-24-23, 06:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4425 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 3,019 Posts
I invite your version of the correct math.
Okay, just for fun I made a very simple spreadsheet to calculate average power required to accelerate a bike from a standstill to a given speed.

So my simple bike model:-

Static mass m = 85 kg
Rotating Mass (wheels and tyres) mw = 3 kg

Initial speed u = 0
Final speed v = 11 m/s (40 kph)
Acceleration a = 0.75 m/s/s
Time taken t = 14.7 s

Kinetic Energy of static mass = 0.5 x m x v^2 = 5143J
Kinetic Energy of rotating mass = m x v^2 = 363J (Simplification with 100% of rotating mass at the tyre radius)
Kinetic Energy total = 5506J

Av Power total = KE/t = 375W
Av Power for total rotating mass = 25W (6.67% of total power)

If I saved 1 kg from the rotating mass (i.e. 33% - a very large and likely very expensive saving):-

KE static = 5143J
KE rotating = 242J
KE total = 5385J

Av Power total = 367W - saving of 8.3W (2.2%) over baseline:-

If I saved 1 kg from the static mass (a free trip to the toilet or a couple of weeks not eating junk food):-

KE static = 5082J
KE rotating = 363J
KE total = 5445J

Av Power total = 371 W - saving of 4.1W (1.1%) over baseline

So with my simplified model (worst case rotating mass ENTIRELY at the tyre outer radius), I save an absolute maximum of 4W (1 kg rotating vs 1 kg static mass) over an acceleration from 0-40 kph at 375W. Also consider that this calculation doesn't include additional power required to overcome air resistance or rolling resistance. It is only the power required to accelerate the mass.

Notes:

1. This is all my own working out using the appropriate equations with real world parameter values. So no 13 kg wheels made out of solid aluminium.
2. The simplifications and values are intended to maximise the effect of rotational inertia i.e. high acceleration, large mass saving and maximised wheel MOI.

Last edited by PeteHski; 02-24-23 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 06:31 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I just noticed that all the posters who say that weight makes no difference are the the very ones who have spend many thousand of dollars on the lightest bikes and wheelsets that they could find. .Some of them are riding $ 4000 ultralight wheelsets without valve stem nuts and caps to save even more weight and now they're arguing that wheel weight makes no difference...LOL
We are not arguing that weight makes no difference. We arguing that wheel weight is no more or less important than frame weight. So pay attention.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-24-23, 07:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,929 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I guess if you think feeling every ripple, crack, and pebble under your tire is a great ride, you’re right.
What? My bike is a high-performance racing bike, not a touring bike or hybrid or Lincoln Town car. Why wouldn't I want that kind of road feedback from a racing bike tire?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Yet - if you are right - the mechanics who put together the bikes for the fastest and highest paid racers in the world are choosing to handicap their riders with wider tires at lower pressures. Why would they do that?
Search me. Although I'm pretty certain the mechanics aren't the ones making the choices.

Last edited by smd4; 02-24-23 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 07:34 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I love it when two (or more) people think they are debating when one or both parties is/are deliberately misinterpreting everything the other says in order to "win" the debate.

One cannot "win" a debate if one is not debating the same ideas as the "opponent." And absent honesty, all we have is nonsense.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-24-23, 07:34 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Okay, just for fun I made a very simple spreadsheet to calculate average power required to accelerate a bike from a standstill to a given speed.

So my simple bike model:-

Static mass m = 85 kg
Rotating Mass (wheels and tyres) mw = 3 kg

Initial speed u = 0
Final speed v = 11 m/s (40 kph)
Acceleration a = 0.75 m/s/s
Time taken t = 14.7 s

Kinetic Energy of static mass = 0.5 x m x v^2 = 5143J
Kinetic Energy of rotating mass = m x v^2 = 363J (Simplification with 100% of rotating mass at the tyre radius)
Kinetic Energy total = 5506J

Av Power total = KE/t = 375W
Av Power for total rotating mass = 25W (6.67% of total power)

If I saved 1 kg from the rotating mass (i.e. 33% - a very large and likely very expensive saving):-

KE static = 5143J
KE rotating = 242J
KE total = 5385J

Av Power total = 367W - saving of 8.3W (2.2%) over baseline:-

If I saved 1 kg from the static mass (a free trip to the toilet or a couple of weeks not eating junk food):-

KE static = 5082J
KE rotating = 363J
KE total = 5445J

Av Power total = 371 W - saving of 4.1W (1.1%) over baseline

So with my simplified model (worst case rotating mass ENTIRELY at the tyre outer radius), I save an absolute maximum of 4W (1 kg rotating vs 1 kg static mass) over an acceleration from 0-40 kph at 375W. Also consider that this calculation doesn't include additional power required to overcome air resistance or rolling resistance. It is only the power required to accelerate the mass.

Notes:

1. This is all my own working out using the appropriate equations with real world parameter values. So no 13 kg wheels made out of solid aluminium.
2. The simplifications and values are intended to maximise the effect of rotational inertia i.e. high acceleration, large mass saving and maximised wheel MOI.
Well done. I didn't double-check anything but I'll accept it at face value. Do you take this to mean that the differences that cyclists have experienced since the biginning of time are all due to gyroscopic effects, or that it's all the placebo effect?
Old 02-24-23, 07:43 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I love it when two (or more) people think they are debating when one or both parties is/are deliberately misinterpreting everything the other says in order to "win" the debate.

One cannot "win" a debate if one is not debating the same ideas as the "opponent." And absent honesty, all we have is nonsense.
Oh yeah, this is epic!
Old 02-24-23, 08:17 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
I'm used to apples and oranges arguments on BF.

But this is more like a fruit salad.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-24-23, 08:51 AM
PeteHski

Well done. I didn't double-check anything but I'll accept it at face value. Do you take this to mean that the differences that cyclists have experienced since the biginning of time are all due to gyroscopic effects, or that it's all the placebo effect?
Double check it if you like although, based on your own previous attempt, I seriously doubt you have the skill set required. But it is a very simple model to understand and gives some idea of the parameters involved and their relative importance.

What you mean the "huge" differences in acceleration, braking and handling? The ones that you "feel" and some other people don't?

It sounds like you own several wheel sets that you swap on the same bike. Tell me a bit more about them i.e. make, model, weight, hubs and tyres fitted. Then we can calculate how they may affect your acceleration.

Or you can just keep your head in the sand.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-24-23, 09:15 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Do you take this to mean that the differences that cyclists have experienced since the biginning of time are all due to gyroscopic effects, or that it's all the placebo effect?
If there's a more dishonest way to ask that question, I'll be damned if I know what it is.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-24-23, 09:20 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Double check it if you like although, based on your own previous attempt, I seriously doubt you have the skill set required. But it is a very simple model to understand and gives some idea of the parameters involved and their relative importance.

What you mean the "huge" differences in acceleration, braking and handling? The ones that you "feel" and some other people don't?

It sounds like you own several wheel sets that you swap on the same bike. Tell me a bit more about them i.e. make, model, weight, hubs and tyres fitted. Then we can calculate how they may affect your acceleration.

Or you can just keep your head in the sand.
Sure. I'll keep it simple and we can just compare tires. The rims also have some minimal difference in weight but let's discount that for this discussion.

One set of wheels have Schwalbe Little Big Bens, coming in at 590 grams. Another set has GP5000 25C, which are 220 grams. I can use both sets of wheels on three different bikes. To say the difference is like night and day would be an understatement. Some people in this forum get it and they have already explained similar differences with their own wheels. Those are two of mine.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 02-24-23, 09:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3958 Post(s)
Liked 7,312 Times in 2,951 Posts
Sure. I'll keep it simple and we can just compare tires. The rims also have some minimal difference in weight but let's discount that for this discussion.

One set of wheels have Schwalbe Little Big Bens, coming in at 590 grams. Another set has GP5000 25C, which are 220 grams. I can use both sets of wheels on three different bikes. To say the difference is like night and day would be an understatement. Some people in this forum get it and they have already explained similar differences with their own wheels. Those are two of mine.
Wow, you couldn’t pick two more dissimilar tires. It’s like saying “my 25 lb. full suspension mountain bike feels different than my 20 lb. Road bike - I think it’s because of the weight difference.”
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-24-23, 09:33 AM
Jeff Neese

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Wow, you couldn’t pick two more dissimilar tires. It’s like saying “my 25 lb. full suspension mountain bike feels different than my 20 lb. Road bike - I think it’s because of the weight difference.”
In this case the only thing that is changing are the wheels. Same bike. Night and day difference in the way the bike handles and the dynamics of riding - almost like a completely different bike. Again, only changing the wheels.
Old 02-24-23, 09:40 AM
tomato coupe

In this case the only thing that is changing are the wheels. Same bike. Night and day difference in the way the bike handles and the dynamics of riding - almost like a completely different bike. Again, only changing the wheels.
You’re changing between very different tires. Maybe you haven’t heard, but tires are a huge contributing factor to the “feel” of a bike. Are you really that clueless?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-24-23, 09:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Just FYI, I started a thread in User Suggestions asking for a new rule banning bot-generated posts. https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...ted-posts.html

I linked this thread in my OP as an exhibit. I've been clowning around in this thread with the AI just to make the point as to how worthless it is as a substantive source, but have stumbled on just how easy it would be to overrun any given thread with a bunch of vapid content that sorta kinda is on-topic.

I think the threat of this and other forums degenerating into bot vs. bot debates is a real spam-like possibility. Agree or disagree, I invite others to comment on my thread in the other forum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-24-23, 09:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You’re changing between very different tires. Maybe you haven’t heard, but tires are a huge contributing factor to the “feel” of a bike. Are you really that clueless?

Has he crossed the "he has to be a Poe" line yet?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-24-23, 09:54 AM
Jeff Neese

There are differences, although to a lesser degree, between my 28C Paselas and the 32C Paselas. Not much, but it's definitely there. Are you going to talk about contact patch next?

Adjectives I would use might include "sportier", "more nimble", "quicker", and simply "more fun". The downside is usually ride quality of course, since reducing weight almost always involves skinnier tires. I do feel more stable during fast descents on heavier tires. Others may have their own way to describe the differences, and in fact they have.

Last edited by Jeff Neese; 02-24-23 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-24-23, 10:01 AM
tomato coupe

There are differences, although to a lesser degree, between my 28C Paselas and the 32C. Not much, but it's definitely there. Are you going to talk about contact patch next?
So, you’ve also missed the multitude of threads about how much tire width changes the feel of a bike? At this point, I find it difficult resisting the urge to make a comment that could get me banned.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-24-23, 10:03 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
...And absent honesty, all we have is nonsense.

Old 02-24-23, 10:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

There are differences, although to a lesser degree, between my 28C Paselas and the 32C. Not much, but it's definitely there. Are you going to talk about contact patch next?

So wait, are you suggesting that because you see a smaller difference between the 28mm and 32mm tires than you do between the 25mm and the 38mm tires, that suggests that the reason for the difference is tire weight? What the hell?

Even if you could quantify the "not much" handling differences between the otherwise same 28mm and 32mm tires, you still wouldn't be able to ascribe those differences to weight as you didn't keep the width constant.
Old 02-24-23, 10:07 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
​​​​​​He liked it because he got the joke. Apparently it went over your head.
...yet, of all the AI generated posts you put up, this was the only one he "liked". Curiouser and curiouser.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm in the discussion now, so what? I'm having fun with it. Unlike you, I haven't insulted other people for engaging in it.
Old 02-24-23, 10:15 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...yet, of all the AI generated posts you put up, this was the only one he "liked". Curiouser and curiouser.
You really are a dishonest person. I put a like on 3 of his “AI” posts because I thought they were all humorous.
Likes For tomato coupe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.