Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22, 01:48 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Yesterday I had some time to install a few new items on my Cinelli.

While I don't have a full Dura Ace 25th Anniversary gruppo, I have a few bits and pieces. Last month I got a top race and locknut. Its mirror finish is definitely more noticeable than the milky-silver of the regular parts.

Santa brought me this new Selle San Marco Regal Evo saddle--70 grams lighter than my Ti-railed Regal! I like that the design allows me to see a bit of the clamp head.

Finally, I installed a new set all-around of what I believe to be the nicest cables made--the Alligator Slick 31s. I like to crimp my cable ends with a small diagonal cutter.

Old 12-28-22, 01:59 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4

While I don't have a full Dura Ace 25th Anniversary gruppo, I have a few bits and pieces. Last month I got a top race and locknut. Its mirror finish is definitely more noticeable than the milky-silver of the regular parts.

Santa brought me this new Selle San Marco Regal Evo saddle--70 grams lighter than my Ti-railed Regal! I like that the design allows me to see a bit of the clamp head.

Finally, I installed a new set all-around of what I believe to be the nicest cables made--the Alligator Slick 31s. I like to crimp my cable ends with a small diagonal cutter.

Absolutely stunning bike Thanks for sharing
Old 12-28-22, 04:27 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 253 Posts
My favourite saddle. I use the rubber / recycled version though.
I'm surprised you can use short reach rim brakes on a steel bike. Somehow I never found any dual pivots from Shimano that would have sufficient reach for any of my bikes (other than BR-1055). Eventually went for BR-6400 single pivots for an Ultegra 6400 equipped bicycle I'm working on and no complaints about those (I tested them, now they await their time in a box).
There are some, but I think not in the Ultegra or Dura-Ace gruppos from the late 90's.
Lovely bike, looks stunning.
Old 12-28-22, 04:37 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
My favourite saddle. I use the rubber / recycled version though.
I'm surprised you can use short reach rim brakes on a steel bike. Somehow I never found any dual pivots from Shimano that would have sufficient reach for any of my bikes (other than BR-1055). Eventually went for BR-6400 single pivots for an Ultegra 6400 equipped bicycle I'm working on and no complaints about those (I tested them, now they await their time in a box).
There are some, but I think not in the Ultegra or Dura-Ace gruppos from the late 90's.
Lovely bike, looks stunning.
Thank you.

I don’t think I’ve used anything but short reach brakes on my steel bikes!
Old 12-28-22, 04:40 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Instead of another bike I sorted out my new to me 67 fender dual showman. Cabs had been recovered and they used the wrong logos but that's fixed for 30.00 plus I put neodymium speakers in the cabinet so I can move it.

Sorry bout the shadows.... This thing was rocking hard in my garage!

Last edited by 52telecaster; 12-29-22 at 08:51 AM.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-28-22, 05:59 PM
VintageSteelEU

Thank you.

I don’t think I’ve used anything but short reach brakes on my steel bikes!
I could probably just about get away with 47mm in front (wouldn't bet on that though). I can forget about less than 57mm in the back though. Which is fine, there are good brakes with that reach and at least I have no problem with clearance for mudguards, but certainly it also limits my choice of components. I guess it might have something to do with frame design. Both bicycles are French 70's frames in the same size. I had an Italian frame from the late 80's - early 90's and it had the same requirements. So clearly that Cinelli has been designed differently.
Old 12-28-22, 07:10 PM
smd4

So clearly that Cinelli has been designed differently.
Huh. I don’t know. It’s not designed any differently than any other 1980s road racing frame, to my knowledge.
Old 12-28-22, 08:05 PM
VintageSteelEU

Huh. I don’t know. It’s not designed any differently than any other 1980s road racing frame, to my knowledge.
Fork crown and seat stays bridge might be lower a few milimiters. Also, the seat stays in this Cinelli have steeper angle in relation to the seat tube and the same goes for the angle of the head tube, which makes it more compact and I think also gets the brake bolt mounting hole a tiny bit lower. I mean my frames are perfectly OK with any brakes from the 70's I tried on them, but anything from mid-80's onwards and I need to check the reach. I'm working on another frame now, which came with Weinmann 605's, but might be more compact and sporty, so it will be interesting to see if there is any change there when it comes to brakes.

I like Cinelli, I have two 1A stems and two Giro D'Italia handlebars. Good designs and great quality
Old 12-29-22, 06:34 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
I haven’t been wrenching this week but moving some furniture around. I’m trying to get my desktop out in the living room so hopefully I’ll use it more. I had to put a bike rack where the computer was in the den so now I almost have a “bike cave”

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-29-22, 08:14 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I haven’t been wrenching this week but moving some furniture around. I’m trying to get my desktop out in the living room so hopefully I’ll use it more. I had to put a bike rack where the computer was in the den so now I almost have a “bike cave”

Love the mudguards on the salmon pink one and black one on the right. Very nice indeed.

Last edited by VintageSteelEU; 12-29-22 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-22, 08:54 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Triplizer and barcons! My kinda bike.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 12-29-22, 10:10 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
build up a set of wheels. I do not really like building wheels, but am forcing myself in order to get better.

also need to replace shifter cables.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-29-22, 10:25 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Love the mudguards on the salmon pink one and black one on the right. Very nice indeed.
Thank You The ones on my "Sizzling Peach" '86 Volpe we originally for my Hetchins but when I had to uh pass it along they needed a new home. Likewise with the ones on my '93 Project 3 700c Mountain bike, they were originally for my Motobecane Phantom Uno but ended up here. I really wanted a pair on my Cornelo but they just wouldn't work out.

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Triplizer and barcons! My kinda bike.
Thank You. This originally came with barends but just a 49/36 SR crank but I found that a bit low for my taste. I had this crank around for some reason so I used.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-29-22, 11:14 AM
VintageSteelEU

I thought I should start riding my "fancy" L'Eroica ready Grand Sprint more often, now that I have a properly working Suntour Vx-S at the back, but I'm not that fond of Weinmann 605 single pivot brakes I got on the bike. I mean the brakes work fine, but not as fine as I'd like. They were part of original Motobecane setup, which is why I kept them. But I decided it's time to replace them with something slightly more efficient, so I got the best rim brakes in the world* today (well, the rear one) and found a few minutes to prepare them for an overhaul. These are Weinmann Vainqueur 610, the red label variety. The other one to complete the set is somewhere in the post right now. I have another set, nice and ready to go, but they happen to be the 710 variant and the reach is a bit too much. Well, can be used, but I prefer to use as short calipers as I possibly can to avoid unnecessary flex of the arms.
Took the calipers apart and went over them with detergent and brass wire brush to get rid of the gunk. I really think I should finally invest some dough in an ultrasonic cleaner for this kind of stuff.
The next stage will be clearing off the remaining rust of the bolt heads with a rotary tool and then putting a coat of enamel on them (can't decide if I want to go with black or red this time). Then polishing all the aluminium parts. On these brakes it's very easy to give them a mirror finish.
I think that the space where the label is missing will be filled with red enamel to prevent any gunk accumulating there. And then putting everything back together with a bit of grease inside and on the bushings. Now another hunt for the Weinmann front hanger cable holder...

*Your opinion might be different, these are old, basic brakes which tend to work great for me.

Wainmann Vainqueur "Red Label" 1977
Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 12-29-22, 01:34 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Dura Ace Ex Pedals from my Cuevas custom, that were seized. Was going to get the adapters that allow you to add normal pedals but decided to try and resurrect these first. Grease was chunky and stuck to the cones. Cleaned everything up and discovered one side was missing one bearing. Internals seem to be in good shape, hoping everything spins nicely after I get a replacement bearing re-grease and re-assemble.
I need to source a few new screws that were missing and unfortunately also need to find the missing strap clip (center bottom of lower photo) for the other pedal - Anyone have one in there parts bin?

Likes For SoCaled:
Old 12-29-22, 06:00 PM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
Well, the wheels are built. These cheap rims were quite easy to work with.

Now if I could find my 3-speed parts box with the cogs etc, I might be ready ton install the rear wheel.
Can't wait to try the dyno hub and lights.
When it's all together, this ought to make for good winter commuter.

cheers -mathias

Last edited by steine13; 12-29-22 at 06:06 PM.
Likes For steine13:
Old 12-29-22, 10:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts

BGirll even has a 'funeral bike' with matching tissue dispenser within easy reach on the top tube. But I can't explain the Santa hat. Unless... Oh my god. Oh no. This doesn't mean... He's... He's... What have I stumbled upon? Oh god...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 12-29-22, 11:30 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Dura Ace Ex Pedals from my Cuevas custom, that were seized. Was going to get the adapters that allow you to add normal pedals but decided to try and resurrect these first. Grease was chunky and stuck to the cones. Cleaned everything up and discovered one side was missing one bearing. Internals seem to be in good shape, hoping everything spins nicely after I get a replacement bearing re-grease and re-assemble.
I need to source a few new screws that were missing and unfortunately also need to find the missing strap clip (center bottom of lower photo) for the other pedal - Anyone have one in there parts bin?

Fab a temporary strap clip from scratch and use "real" automotive bearing grease, the thicker the better to make sure they survive.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-30-22, 04:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
BGirll even has a 'funeral bike' with matching tissue dispenser within easy reach on the top tube. But I can't explain the Santa hat. Unless... Oh my god. Oh no. This doesn't mean... He's... He's... What have I stumbled upon? Oh god...
Puffs makes those special for me.

not exactly a Santa hat…

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 12-30-22, 07:38 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

CALLING ALL STATIONS AND ALL THE SHIPS AT SEA……. STANDBY FOR A SPECIAL BROADCAST

The big reveal is coming

Oh RATZ. I forgot I can’t upload a video. It was really cheesy too! LOL.

Oh well the Trash Panda Works will be revealing the mystery project a little later.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-30-22, 08:54 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I thought I should start riding my "fancy" L'Eroica ready Grand Sprint more often, now that I have a properly working Suntour Vx-S at the back, but I'm not that fond of Weinmann 605 single pivot brakes I got on the bike. I mean the brakes work fine, but not as fine as I'd like. They were part of original Motobecane setup, which is why I kept them. But I decided it's time to replace them with something slightly more efficient, so I got the best rim brakes in the world* today (well, the rear one) and found a few minutes to prepare them for an overhaul. These are Weinmann Vainqueur 610, the red label variety. The other one to complete the set is somewhere in the post right now. I have another set, nice and ready to go, but they happen to be the 710 variant and the reach is a bit too much. Well, can be used, but I prefer to use as short calipers as I possibly can to avoid unnecessary flex of the arms.
Took the calipers apart and went over them with detergent and brass wire brush to get rid of the gunk. I really think I should finally invest some dough in an ultrasonic cleaner for this kind of stuff.
The next stage will be clearing off the remaining rust of the bolt heads with a rotary tool and then putting a coat of enamel on them (can't decide if I want to go with black or red this time). Then polishing all the aluminium parts. On these brakes it's very easy to give them a mirror finish.
I think that the space where the label is missing will be filled with red enamel to prevent any gunk accumulating there. And then putting everything back together with a bit of grease inside and on the bushings. Now another hunt for the Weinmann front hanger cable holder...

*Your opinion might be different, these are old, basic brakes which tend to work great for me.

Wainmann Vainqueur "Red Label" 1977
I never had good luck on the total breakdown of these. It seemed to never get to the right point of adjustment, either I was to tight or they were flopping about. Maybe a locktight on the treads of the pivot bolts could have helped. The other thing that would happen is the plastic bushing could also be problematic.

Now a days I just use automotive tire and wheels cleaners on center pull calipers. Just spray on wait a few minutes and hose off and dry. Once dry I'll use some wd on the pivots.

Hopefully your results of tear down are better than mine.
Old 12-30-22, 10:34 AM
VintageSteelEU

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I never had good luck on the total breakdown of these. It seemed to never get to the right point of adjustment, either I was to tight or they were flopping about. Maybe a locktight on the treads of the pivot bolts could have helped. The other thing that would happen is the plastic bushing could also be problematic.

Now a days I just use automotive tire and wheels cleaners on center pull calipers. Just spray on wait a few minutes and hose off and dry. Once dry I'll use some wd on the pivots.

Hopefully your results of tear down are better than mine.
One reason I'm fond of these brakes is that they are very easy to completely take apart and their construction is very simple and nearly bomb proof. Short of some cathastrophic failure and damage (which might happen, nothing lasts forever), they might work just as well and look great for decades to come. Which can't be said about various modern brakes, with many small parts, hard to dismantle and, being anodised, any cosmetic damage is going to be nigh on impossible to address without specialist equipment. These? Just a simple wrench (8mm & 9mm for the yoke bolt) and you're off to the races. Replacement parts, if need be, can be sourced fairly easily and cheaply. If they don't want to come apart and something is seized, you could try soaking them with a bit of oil or WD40 and eventually they will. I can't say I overhauled many of them and there are bound to be some rusted through bolts out there. This is the third set I'm doing, and so far didn't have any issues. The main problem is, from what I could see so far, that the steel parts tend to loose chrome and get some surface rust. Which is why after cleaning them I tend to use a coat of enamel, mostly to protect them from the elements a bit (though I think it actually looks pretty decent). I also like the fact that they just work and I can trust them. With these, I'm 100% sure that when I want to stop, I stop. Sure, dual pivot brakes feel nicer and gentler and tend to be very good as well, but don't always come in a finish or reach, or make, I'd like. These are right at home on any 70's or early 80's bike and cost usually less than 20 bucks. Compare that with twice that price for a single (!) modern Gran Compe for example (which are also heavier) and you have a winner, I think.

Below are photos of 82' copy, black label version of the 750 variety (the ones I'm not going to use). With modern road brake pads (which can be tilted to prevent the brakes from screeching). That's more or less what the set I'm working on now is going to look like when I'm done with it (though on this bike it will be old fashioned pads with plastic dipped wheel guides).

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 12-30-22, 10:58 PM
zookster 

Bikes: 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento, 1965 Schwinn Racer 3-speed, 1987 Schwinn High Sierra, 1990 Specialized Sirrus, 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 2013 Giant Seek 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 199 Posts
Finished up the refresh of my 87 Schwinn High Sierra tonight. It was rather crusty and neglected when I got it a few months ago.
Likes For zookster:
Old 12-30-22, 11:00 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 981 Posts
Revisions to Mrs. ascherer’s Grand Jubile are in flight. The 9-speed Tiagra from a Cannondale Synapse she never enjoyed is entering its third incarnation, having spent some seasons on a Lotus Eclair. Tektro long reach calipers and dynamo lighting round out the major changes. A front bag is in the options list.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 12-31-22, 09:11 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by ascherer
Revisions to Mrs. ascherer’s Grand Jubile are in flight. The 9-speed Tiagra from a Cannondale Synapse she never enjoyed is entering its third incarnation, having spent some seasons on a Lotus Eclair. Tektro long reach calipers and dynamo lighting round out the major changes. A front bag is in the options list.

Those tektros are excellent stoppers. Great looking bike!
Likes For 52telecaster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.