Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXVI

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXVI

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 07:59 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
They're chipsealing the main highway on my commute. It's a 4 lane and they're doing 1 lane on each side at at time. They have the loose gravel side they're still working on coned off except (for some reason) the last few miles. When they opened that side up everyone, except me, decided they wanted to drive in that lane even though it was full of loose gravel and traffic was moving along fine. Even though I was the only one not stupid enough to drive in the loose gravel I still ended up getting a rock kicked up into my windshield and getting a nice chip that is certain to spider out very nicely when the cold weather hits.
Just get a repair kit soon.

This is also on my to-do list.
Old 08-15-17, 08:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest

He should get that chip sealed?
Old 08-15-17, 08:03 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Originally Posted by WhyFi
You're confusing me.
Old 08-15-17, 08:04 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28622 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
They're chipsealing the main highway on my commute.
Why?
Old 08-15-17, 08:04 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Oh wait... I see what you did.
Old 08-15-17, 08:05 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

10 road bikes that are more expensive than a brand new car
Old 08-15-17, 08:06 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Look at another pair of wheels and you will see. Assuming nothing else is wrong, then it is almost purely aesthetic. The valve stem could be anywhere on the wheel, and it would make no difference in the riding. The reason for putting the valve stem where you do is to have more room for the pump head. On your wheel it will be crowded in there when you are trying to pump it up. On 36 spoke wheels that used to make a big difference. On a 20 spoke wheel where there is more separation between the spokes, it won't make as much difference.
That's the thing - it's not necessarily a functional deficiency but it's a sign of someone that didn't take the care that you would want or expect. I mean, we're talking about a sub-2lb wheel that you're placing your trust in.
Agreed, and if the builder didn't know to do that right, did they know how to do all the other things right that you can't see. Proper tension, tension balance, adjusting the unstressed spoke line between the hub and the rim, stress relieving of spokes, etc.
Fair enough. Thing is, what are the options now? Take it back to him? If he didn't know how to do it properly the first time he won't do it properly the second time either. I could also just go to someone else and have them redo it, but then I'd have to pay again. I guess I'm left with binning them or riding them as they are.
Old 08-15-17, 08:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by PepeM
Fair enough. Thing is, what are the options now? Take it back to him? If he didn't know how to do it properly the first time he won't do it properly the second time either. I could also just go to someone else and have them redo it, but then I'd have to pay again. I guess I'm left with binning them or riding them as they are.
Send them to penman, obv.
Old 08-15-17, 08:09 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts

I have glass coverage on my insurance with no deductible.
Old 08-15-17, 08:10 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Poor Pepe was blissfully ignorant and ya'll just ruined his new wheels.
Old 08-15-17, 08:12 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Oh, AAA?
Old 08-15-17, 08:14 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I got a cracked windshield. I was driving on the paved highway like a civilized human being.
Old 08-15-17, 08:16 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Send them to penman, obv.
All kidding aside, I would be happy to fix them for you. Only cost would be the round trip shipping.

But if you can meet with the builder in person, there is no reason you can't show them what's wrong. It isn't that hard to fix. Well you have to take the whole wheel apart and redo it, but it ain't rocket surgery.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-15-17, 08:17 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I got a cracked windshield. I was driving on the paved highway like a civilized human being.
Don't feel bad. It even happens to good folks. No, wait, that isn't exactly what I meant.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-15-17, 08:21 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Whew!! I thought I saw @datlas's sig over in C&V. Turned out to be a case of my poor morning eyesight.
Originally Posted by datlas

BTW when I first restarted cycling about 10 years ago, I was riding my old steel frame from the 1980's and did occasionally post in C&V, but I don't think I have done that for many years.
...I post in C+V all the time. You can both bite me.

Originally Posted by LAJ
The first wheel I built, the logo wasn't lined up with the valve stem. Redo. The wheel on @Pepe bike would eat me alive until it was fixed. I'm far from OCD, but some things must be right. I am the guy you wanted to work on your car.
...I you man.
Old 08-15-17, 08:28 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by LAJ
The first wheel I built, the logo wasn't lined up with the valve stem. Redo. The wheel on @Pepe bike would eat me alive until it was fixed. I'm far from OCD, but some things must be right. I am the guy you wanted to work on your car.
That's why I like those Bitex Taiwanese hubs. No logo. Easy-peasy. Actually if you were doing it every day, you could learn the "formula" for getting the logo line up right, but once or twice a year and it is to hard to remember...when you're old that is.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-15-17, 08:28 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I post in C+V all the time. You can both bite me.

...I you man.
Fireman in da house!

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-15-17, 08:36 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,760 Times in 2,769 Posts
Fireman in da house!

Old 08-15-17, 08:40 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Oh, AAA?
Geico
Old 08-15-17, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Because I have roadside assistance and comprehensive, mine is only $50, which turned out to be a blessing because not long after I bought the Forester last year a man walked through three neighborhoods early one morning randomly smashing car windows before he was caught. He got me. He was either whacked out on drugs or mentally ill. In all he broke more than 2 dozen windows. The SafeLite place closest to the 'hoods where he struck was all booked up so I had to drive to Jersey to get the window replaced.
Old 08-15-17, 08:45 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Because I have roadside assistance and comprehensive, mine is only $50, which turned out to be a blessing because not long after I bought the Forester last year a man walked through three neighborhoods early one morning randomly smashing car windows before he was caught. He got me. He was either whacked out on drugs or mentally ill. In all he broke more than 2 dozen windows. The SafeLite place closest to the 'hoods where he struck was all booked up so I had to drive to Jersey to get the window replaced.
I'm sure Safelite does a good job and is very convenient, but they are never the vendor that my insurance, Amica, chooses. I suspect Amica doesn't want to pay for all that national advertising.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 08-15-17, 08:51 AM
WhyFi

Ugh - when the sweet taste of freedom sours in your mouth.

The wife had put a play date on the calendar for tomorrow, which is why I was figuring that it'd be a good day for a 3-5 hour ride. I have since found out that the play date is at our place - not a huge deal, but it'll probably mean extra prep, including making sure that the dog is someplace where she can't be bothered by the kids, which will likely mean I'll have to carry her upstairs (the hips/legs aren't getting up the stairs well in her old age).

...and now I've heard that the play date has expanded to include the high-maintenance cousins. You all have at least one set of cousins like that, right? The ones that bounce off the walls and get in to stuff? I don't know where he lands on the scale, but one of the kids has Asperger's and has a hard time understanding/accepting being told "no." I once caught him pulling a grille cover off of one of my speakers, and readying a poking finger for one of the tweeters. Time to batten down the hatches
Old 08-15-17, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
that my insurance, Amica,
Don't get me started on them. Back in the 90s, one of their insureds committed fraud in connection with an accident I was involved in. I was at fault and caused minor body damage. I paid for the damage out of pocket and the insured simultaneously submitted a claim to Amica. I had been driving my mom's car so, of course, Amica sent mom a letter telling her she was responsible for the damage. I sent Amica the cancelled check. They got the money back from the insured but refused to report the fraud or take any other action. They told me they didn't care as long as they were not out any money.

The crazy part is that the insured was a neurologist with an exclusive address in the wealthiest county in PA. Why take a risk like that for $800 and change? Not all that longer after the incident the hospital where the guy worked folded. Maybe he was having cash flow problems.
Old 08-15-17, 09:07 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

The crazy part is that the insured was a neurologist with an exclusive address in the wealthiest county in PA. Why take a risk like that for $800 and change? Not all that longer after the incident the hospital where the guy worked folded. Maybe he was having cash flow problems.
Just because he lived there didn't mean he could afford to live there.
Old 08-15-17, 09:10 AM
rpenmanparker 

Don't get me started on them. Back in the 90s, one of their insureds committed fraud in connection with an accident I was involved in. I was at fault and caused minor body damage. I paid for the damage out of pocket and the insured simultaneously submitted a claim to Amica. I had been driving my mom's car so, of course, Amica sent mom a letter telling her she was responsible for the damage. I sent Amica the cancelled check. They got the money back from the insured but refused to report the fraud or take any other action. They told me they didn't care as long as they were not out any money.

That is a nasty story. Hard to explain foolishness like that. Heck, when I first moved into my office with my new employer (at the beginning of a 29 year run), I learned the previous occupant had been walked out the door for cheating the company on travel expenses. He was cashing international business class tickets for coach and pocketing the difference. So go figure.

But they are generally considered a good, service oriented, low cost insurer. We have been with them for years with no complaints.

Originally Posted by LAJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.