Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Restoring A bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cost Of Restoring A bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 10:38 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Colorado Kid - I knew my last build would be more than I have spent on the others in my stable. It started out with what I thought was a great deal on the frame, fork and headset. I don't typically strip and paint as the "Patina" is usually acceptable. There are 3 exceptions hanging around waiting for me to get into gear.
Some of the parts, in addition to the frame/fork, were also good deals, most notably the wheel set and Ergo's. The Ergos did have a rebuild but even then the cost was <= unknown used equivalents on the bay. Since I rebuilt them, I know what condition they are in.

Many of the other parts were on the lower end of the range they sell for on the bay. Some parts were on the shelf. If I were to sell, I should get near break even.

But here is the really important part for me. It is not a business, it is pleasure seeking! I love riding it and the satisfaction that comes with building it, facing challenges, learning and overcoming is worth more than the cost of the build. I don't plan on selling. I will let my beneficiaries take care of it. As long as I can ride, it will be a choice.

I know it is a materialistic, but I am proud that I own it. I am thankful to those who contributed to it being mine on this forum and the advice and council given during the build.

I am suppose to go in every 6 months for Melanoma check. I have had 3 procedures, one on the back one above my eyebrow and one on my ear. When I do go in, I get 10-12 N2 hits on my face every time. It is something I need to take care of. My hope is that you can accept and live with it. Part of being fair skinned and having bad burns early in life.

Last edited by SJX426; 10-05-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-05-21, 10:43 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Thanks for everyone on this list for your support.. Because of staffing shortage, (At the LBS) the rebuild is pushed back a little. I am keeping my fingers cross as it should be done soon. Let the good times roll!
Old 10-05-21, 04:52 PM
systemBuilder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I have a '81 Schwinn 11.8. I am in the process of restoring this barn find. I discovered the hills (mountains) around here beg for a triple. So it was back to the shop, again! To date, I guess I have spent about $1,300 USD on rebuilding this bike. (Bike+ rebuilding cost.) Is that average? What did you spend to get your bike to get it back on the road?
My second most expensive bike restoration : $1200.
It started with a TI Raleigh Team Pro frameset with a cracked & repaired seatlug, like-NOS, for $150.
The rest of the bike was $1000. It's hard to source 1975 Campagnolo Super Record parts.

My most expensive bike restoration : $2000 (a holy grail bicycle)
It started with a $125 1974 Raleigh International Frameset, stripped, chrome-stripped, polished, rechromed, repainted, by Brian Baylis ($1250).
It was repainted as a Carlton Franco-Suisse (I made all the decals myself).
We started out trying to paint it as a chartreuse 1972 international but Brian picked emerald green by mistake so we added white head-tube and seat panels and switched all the decals to look authentic.
The rest of the parts were about $700. I found a beautiful Stronglight 105bis crankset on the right, in like-NOS condition, for only $50, the left is a similar-era Peugeot/Stronglight crank arm for $5 in the bargain bin (NOS) of our local used bike shop - but it doesn't say 105! Both parts were singletons, hence extremely cheap. The big splurge was a $190 Books Professional Ti saddle (wiggle - sale - shipped from UK) and $90 Ti modern cartridge bottom bracket. Campagnolo Record High Flange wheels were $125 (about 10Y ago). I probably pay about 80% of average EBay prices for most of my parts.

My least expensive bike was just one model down - 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport - $75 on ebay (shipped). Did nothing to it so far.
I also got a 1970 Raleigh International + 1970 Raleigh Super Course later ... for $420 on ebay (shipped). Both all-original & ready-to-ride, I changed only the tires ...

Another is a $400 ALAN with Campagnolo-record but gran sport where it's lighter. I did upgrade it to superleggera(mks)/super record (derailleur/chainrings), adding $250 to the cost.

The last time I had something I couldn't fix, the two best shops in the region couldn't fix it, either. It was a clicking Mavic 500 hub. I finally de-laced the wheels and relaced half the spokes and the clicking went away ... for a while. Anyway, I haven't had a problem I couldn't solve but the shop COULD solve, in 40 years ...

You should try not to spend more than $1000 on anything other than a top-of-the-line bike. Obviously, having & recovering from cancer is a whole separate ballgame. Holy grail bicycles are also an exception. I spent $2000 on a bike that would probably sell for $800, but I wanted it for 40+ years, and I got to visit Brian Baylis's workshop 10 separate times at least and he was super-nice to me. Worth it, imho. If you consider $20 of added regret for every year I missed that bike, and $20 per visit to brian's bike shop, that's $1000 in payback right there, so the bike only cost $1000 :-). It took 7 friggin years so not much per year. Also there's that intangible where 25 people on a recent bay area bike ride spend 5 minutes (2+ man-hours) just marveling over my "stupid production bike" - painted by Brian.

- Don Gillies
Palo Alto, CA, USA

Last edited by systemBuilder; 10-05-21 at 05:21 PM.