Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 05:08 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Dry out there, Lime Ridge
Old 08-16-18, 04:31 PM
djkashuba 

Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Colnago Super,Follis, Bianchi Competizione, Brompton M6L, Black Mountain Monstercros

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 151 Posts

Dutch Flat, Ca.
by djk762, on Flickr
Old 08-16-18, 08:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts

The smokey haze in Puget Sound for several days has me riding a usual route very modestly. But I rode with Eddy, so noteworthy enough for a pic.

Our smoke is supposedly coming from BC wilderness fires.

Prayers for all facing natural disasters.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-17-18 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-17-18, 07:30 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Yesterday I was free from all other obligations so I decided to go exploring in an area that I had yet to visit. I took a 6:30 train on the MetroNorth Commuter Line to Southeast Station which is around 50 miles north of NYC. I arrived there before 8AM and from there I just freewheeled it and rode north then east into NW Connecticut. My plan was to ride into Massachusetts and turn around at Great Barrington but I decided against it and turned around just before reaching the state line. I turned back to catch the 2:18 train from Wassaic, the northernmost station, back home. Two hours to relax on a comfortable train after riding through 82 miles of beautiful farmland, communities and a busy Route 22 at some points. A kinds older gentleman even invited me over to his house to refill the water bottles before the ride home which I did happily after being unable to find any open store in the tiny hamlet of Wassaic.

Untitled by irishbx4th, on Flickr

Old 08-18-18, 01:03 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 2,126 Times in 555 Posts
@DQRider, thank you for sharing the poignant and touching memories of your father. I am sorry for your loss. It is clear that you and your father developed a lasting bond that your will cherish and strengthen through your bond with your own son. No need to apologize for the lighting. All the photos in your post are perfect. The photo of your son gazing pensively into the sunset, with the sunset t-shirt and the fallen bike on the roadside, is so evocative. I am fortunate that both my parents and in-laws are all still alive, but I know I won't be able to say that for much longer. Your post inspires me to make the most of what time we have together.
Old 08-18-18, 01:01 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
15 miles to Performance Bicycle for new cleats and lunch at Carl's Jr.

Old 08-18-18, 01:43 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Korax

Cloudy day but nice ride to Hanalei Bay on my 95 Trek
EPIC Photo! Thanks for posting it. You riders who live in these beautiful places need to realize how lucky you are and appreciate what you have. Of course, the best yardstick by which to measure is how many tourists your locale attracts. Hawaii... man. Good for you!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 08-18-18, 01:45 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by nesteel
If there was ever a single photo to define a life lived to its fullest, that first one would be it. My condolences.
Oh man, thanks for writing that. You are absolutely spot-on. Dad did it Right, all the way to the end.

Old 08-18-18, 01:50 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by gaucho777
@DQRider, thank you for sharing the poignant and touching memories of your father. I am sorry for your loss. It is clear that you and your father developed a lasting bond that your will cherish and strengthen through your bond with your own son. No need to apologize for the lighting. All the photos in your post are perfect. The photo of your son gazing pensively into the sunset, with the sunset t-shirt and the fallen bike on the roadside, is so evocative. I am fortunate that both my parents and in-laws are all still alive, but I know I won't be able to say that for much longer. Your post inspires me to make the most of what time we have together.
You're right, gaucho777. That is SO important. Dad and I were on the golf course in May, and he was gone by the end of July - it happened that fast. Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I'll post some more shortly...

Old 08-18-18, 02:22 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 717 Posts
30 mile round trip to Performance Bicycle for some new cleats and lunch.

Old 08-18-18, 02:51 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Crash Day

So Dad's funeral was last Friday, the 10th. Here's a self portrait I took that morning, before I donned my black suit and we headed for the cemetery:

On Saturday, I rode down my favorite local trail to take my mind off my troubles. Still riding the 1984 Peugeot Canyon Express, making those tiny adjustments that yield the perfect ride, or reveal faults that you just can't live with or fix; making the bike a good candidate for sale. I installed a rack on the back to make the bike usable for local grocery runs and errands.

First I pedaled around the trails at Thompson Lake before bombing down Simon's Ravine:

Since I've photographed this trail so many times, with beautiful views of the river, I tried to feature the land-side this time, which is dominated by the railroad:

This can be a sort of guerrilla art gallery sometimes:

But of course I must give The River its due:

After stopping for refreshment at The Mississippi Pub, and staying perhaps a bit too long, I rode home in the dark. That is a Cateye Volt 1600 headlight on the Bullmoose handlebar, so I had plenty of illumination on the trail ahead. At one point, coming around a blind left-hand curve, that pool of light revealed a municipal trash-can thrown down across the trail, with its contents strewn everywhere. I steered to the right, aiming for a gap in the rubbish, but my front tire caught sand on the edge of the trail and then The Rocks... where I landed Hard.

When I regained consciousness, I realized that I hadn't brought my old-school flip phone with me. So I had to pull my right hand back into alignment - the wrist was broken - and ride three grueling miles to the trailhead. There, I laid bleeding on a bench and waited for somebody to come by and dial 9-1-1.

I'm typing this slowly, with a cast on my right arm, a week after this little misadventure. Cuts, contusions, and concussion were added to my "distal radius fracture" in the medical report by the nice doctor at Saint Joseph's hospital. I won't be riding or wrenching on bicycles for a while. This is a time for contemplation. I turn 55 years old tomorrow, yet I find myself in the same sort of predicament I was in twenty-some years ago. Dad must be frowning on me, from his vantage point up in the heavens. I'm sure there's a lesson in this somewhere...

Last edited by DQRider; 08-18-18 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-18-18, 03:52 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
@DQRider, so sorry to read about your mishap. May the perpetrator be cast into irons. Heal quickly. The sooner you can show us more great photos the better.
Old 08-18-18, 05:14 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by jimmuller
@DQRider, so sorry to read about your mishap. May the perpetrator be cast into irons. Heal quickly. The sooner you can show us more great photos the better.
Thanks Jim. Only trouble is: my Leica was between the rocks and my bruised ribs. The nice bamboo hand-hold I bought for it worked to save the camera body; but because the lens is mated to it, any precise calibration is now lost. I think it actually added to my injuries, since I wear it on a diagonal strap across my chest, and that is where the most painful bruises are.

Look, please never mind... I need to keep a broad perspective here and realize that these injuries are the result of my lack of vigilance and self-control. The fact that I was grieving does not alter the laws of physics. Riding through a dark tunnel illuminated by a single bright beam of light is fine if you are only cruising. But if you are trying to exorcise personal demons by veloci-therapy, at the very least you should be wearing some kind of helmet.

Oh crap, did I really just type that? I must be delirious. Concussion will do that to a guy.

Old 08-18-18, 10:48 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Thanks Jim. Only trouble is: my Leica was between the rocks and my bruised ribs. The nice bamboo hand-hold I bought for it worked to save the camera body; but because the lens is mated to it, any precise calibration is now lost. I think it actually added to my injuries, since I wear it on a diagonal strap across my chest, and that is where the most painful bruises are.

Look, please never mind... I need to keep a broad perspective here and realize that these injuries are the result of my lack of vigilance and self-control. The fact that I was grieving does not alter the laws of physics. Riding through a dark tunnel illuminated by a single bright beam of light is fine if you are only cruising. But if you are trying to exorcise personal demons by veloci-therapy, at the very least you should be wearing some kind of helmet.

Oh crap, did I really just type that? I must be delirious. Concussion will do that to a guy.

WOW DQ! Sorry to hear about your Father and the crash. I hope both you and your Leica are on the mend.
Old 08-18-18, 11:32 PM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
What the hell?

​​​​​​Ribs, cameras, head wounds, concussion - who cares!? IS THE BIKE OK? OMG I HOPE YOU HAVEN'T. .. . I can't bare to even think about it.
Old 08-19-18, 02:46 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Johno59
​​​​​​Ribs, cameras, head wounds, concussion - who cares!? IS THE BIKE OK? OMG I HOPE YOU HAVEN'T. .. . I can't bare to even think about it.
Sorry if this has caused you any distress . But I cannot lift the garage door yet to inspect the damage. However, the fact that I was able to ride the bike three miles to the trailhead tells me that the bike is certainly salvageable. Yes, it's definitely a keeper. Once I mend I will most certainly build it into the bike I always knew it could be.

Last edited by DQRider; 08-19-18 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-19-18, 04:50 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Sorry if this has caused you any distress . But I cannot lift the garage door yet to inspect the damage. However, the fact that I was able to ride the bike three miles to the trailhead tells me that the bike is certainly salvageable. Yes, it's definitely a keeper. Once I mend I will most certainly build it into the bike I always knew it could be.

"But I cannot lift the garage door yet to inspect the damage."
WHAT!
PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!!
Get someone else to check it out.
We're all dying here .
I can't breath.
Old 08-19-18, 09:08 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
24.5 miles around Springfield, IL this morning. Mostly MUP mixed with bike friendly city roads.

Bridge overlooking the Sangamon river

Old 08-19-18, 09:27 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

WHAT!
PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!!
We're all dying here .
I can't breath.
Hmmmm... Location: Cambridge UK It's "breathe", isn't it?

Look, I consider myself an "Anglophile" - loving all things British because I've watched a few seasons of "Monty Python" and "Top Gear", and every time I fly anywhere I feel like James Bond (TSA be damned).

The bike is fine, and if it's not, I will make it so. I'm kind of handy that way... But thanks for levering me out of this self-pity gumption trap (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) . I hope we can meet someday...

I owe you a pint, mate!

Old 08-19-18, 10:13 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I managed to get out on the Masi this morning for a quick 37.5 miles spin. Finally we are having weather with temperature plus dew point that doesn't add up to something over 160degF. Lots of bikes out.

Old 08-19-18, 10:38 AM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I managed to get out on the Masi this morning for a quick 37.5 miles spin. Finally we are having weather with temperature plus dew point that doesn't add up to something over 160degF. Lots of bikes out.
Well that’s a beautiful Masi.

Lots of people out here also, there’s a century coming up Sept 9, so lots of people preparing.
Old 08-19-18, 10:46 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Just got home from a nice 29.5 mile ride out to Capital One's big business complex, West Creek Pkwy (2 laps) horseshoe shaped roadway, etc... and eventually back home. 1 hr and 57 min for a nice easy 15 mph speed. Man, I tell you... There were some crazy people inside the quiet business road of West Creek Pkwy - some dudes had those time-trial aerodynamic style bikes and were zooming along at like 40-45 mph! No matter what chainring you were one, those guys would blow by you like you were standing still!

Here is Hockett Rd & Tuckahoe Creek Pkwy (which leads into Capital One huge area, and also down into West Creek Pkwy).

Here is a shot of Virginia Farm Bureau's big building by the twin duck ponds inside West Creek Pkwy. I stopped to sip by other water bottle (thank God I brought two of them!).

Lastly, here is the route from Map My Ride...

Old 08-19-18, 12:39 PM
Johno59

Your Dad Bike

WHAT!
PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!!
We're all dying here .
I can't breath.
Hmmmm... Location: Cambridge UK It's "breathe", isn't it?

Look, I consider myself an "Anglophile" - loving all things British because I've watched a few seasons of "Monty Python" and "Top Gear", and every time I fly anywhere I feel like James Bond (TSA be damned).

The bike is fine, and if it's not, I will make it so. I'm kind of handy that way... But thanks for levering me out of this self-pity gumption trap (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) . I hope we can meet someday...

I owe you a pint, mate!

After all your recent trials and tribulations, do your magic on the bike and it will be your Dad Bike.
Old 08-19-18, 01:11 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Another Ride on the Greenway

Short ride today on the local Greenway in Concord, NC. on the Cannondale today. It just rained last night so Rocky River was on the Muddy side. Threw in a picture of the bike.

Old 08-19-18, 04:00 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Spectacular day here in Western Mass so took the Tempo out for 40 miles through some gorgeous hill country. Stopped for a glamour shot in Whately, Massachusetts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.