Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 09:37 AM
Lady82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hello!
Thank you for such a quick reply.
I have upgraded pads and breaks work fine. But yesterday I rode in rain and the breaks did not perform as well as the disks on my new Liv bike.
I guess I am trying to decide whether I should upgrade my bike now (while I can sell it easily), or wait. But then next year, once situation at bike shops improves, I won't be able to get much for my very well-maintained bike.

Last edited by Lady82; 05-04-21 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 06:11 PM
Ericdg16

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi!

Hello, everyone! I’m new here...have read through about half the thread so far, so forgive me if this has been asked. Does anyone know what cranksets will/won’t work with our bikes? I have been to 3 different bike shops (with my bike) and gotten 3 different answers as to what I can run. It seems there are several different versions of the sirrus. Mine is a sirrus sport with 3x9 gearing. I ordered new wheels to accept an 11speed cassette and would like to keep the triple crankset, but upgrade it and go to a 165mm crank
Old 05-07-21, 10:03 PM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can anyone give me feedback on the 5.0 X 2021?

It got a 3.7 on the Specialized site - people said great frame - ***** components? Hub and wheels especially?

How’s the build quality ?

Would you consider this a gravel bike ?
Old 05-07-21, 11:23 PM
JerseyShore

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LazyMike
Nice, this is the color I want.
How did you find it?
how is it on road v gravel ?
Any component complaints ?
Old 05-08-21, 05:00 PM
bobthebike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I’ve got the ‘19 5.0X. Being the beta tester I am, I’ve crashed the bike multiple times and lets put it this way; it crashes well. The gearing was too short for me, so it easily accepted a 11/32t Ultegra cassette. Not doing tight trails, I actually now use all the rings. The only thing that it does infrequently is derailing the chain. I’d buy this bike again in a New York minute. It fits so well and is a very compliant. I ride more than ever, which I consider the ultimate complement for a bike. Go for it! ,BK
Likes For bobthebike:
Old 05-09-21, 08:34 AM
waxcrazy

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I just got one a couple of weeks ago... Haven't had a lot of time on it due to other things going on right now but it seems like it is going to be a great bike! I struggled on what to get for months and didn't even consider the x...was interested in the regular Sirrus at first but the more I read about it and talked to my LBS I changed direction. It's very comfortable and easy on the eyes..build quality seems great also. I seated in the new disc brakes as instructed and they are amazing.... Shifts are crisp , If there is any one thing , and the verdict isn't out yet, it would be some cross chaining noise when I am in the 3 lowest gears but that's the nature of the 1x front chainring.. Maybe it will quiet as things loosen up but if not, hopefully I will be stronger and not need to dig so low down the road... Just my newbie first impressions for what it is worth.
Likes For waxcrazy:
Old 05-10-21, 08:36 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by waxcrazy
Shifts are crisp , If there is any one thing , and the verdict isn't out yet, it would be some cross chaining noise when I am in the 3 lowest gears but that's the nature of the 1x front chainring.. Maybe it will quiet as things loosen up but if not, hopefully I will be stronger and not need to dig so low down the road... Just my newbie first impressions for what it is worth.
Nothing to do with the 1x chainring. Rotate the barrel adjuster on the shifter cable. That will take care of it.
Old 05-10-21, 10:39 AM
flocons

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the Sirrus family here as I was lucky enough to find a Sirrus 6.0 in my area (Thornhill, ON) this week - I was actually cross shopping between this bike with a Diverge, as I did want to do some graveling at some point, but I came to a realization that if I did want to ride at all this year, I would have to pick up whatever I could get, so the Sirrus came up first.

I was wondering for anyone who has this bike, what is the widest tire/rim set that this bike will take? Seeing that the SX 5.0 comes with 38mm widths, and assuming that the fork is the same, is it safe to assume that 38mm is a good place to start?

Cheers,

L.
Old 05-11-21, 04:55 AM
waxcrazy

Originally Posted by prj71
Nothing to do with the 1x chainring. Rotate the barrel adjuster on the shifter cable. That will take care of it.
Kind of new at this...while sitting on the bike would you recommend spinning it away from me or towards me for starters?
Thanks...that makes me feel much better knowing it's just a adjustment!
Old 05-11-21, 05:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Drivetrain noise can come from a variety of sources. Before I made any adjustments, I'd try to figure out what's making the noise.

When shifted to the largest cassette sprocket, is the upper pulley of the derailleur directly under the sprocket? Does it look like the chain is transitioning cleanly from the upper pulley to the largest sprocket? If so, then I don't think a twist of the barrel adjuster will quiet your drivetrain -- you may instead create shifting problems where there aren't any now. However, if the upper pulley is NOT lined up directly under the sprocket, then an indexing adjustment may help. If the derailleur is too far outboard (needs to move in towards the hub some), then unscrew the barrel adjuster a half turn at a time and ride. If the upper pulley is too far inboard towards the hub (and needs to move out to be lined up perfectly), then screw in the barrel adjuster a half turn at a time and ride. You may find it hard to get it perfect across the entire cassette. Maybe you improve the noise at the large end of the cassette but introduce shifting problems at the small end of the cassette. If this happens, there is likely other misalignment in the system.

Having said all that, depending on your specific setup, cross chaining can absolutely create more drivetrain noise. Some are more sensitive to it than others. Perhaps something as simple as fresh lube on your chain will quiet it down. I have a few 1x bikes and they are noisier at the large end of the cassette if the chain is particularly dry. With a freshly lubed chain, all runs quiet and smooth.
Old 05-11-21, 05:34 AM
waxcrazy

Thank you!
Old 05-11-21, 06:51 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by waxcrazy
Kind of new at this...while sitting on the bike would you recommend spinning it away from me or towards me for starters?
Thanks...that makes me feel much better knowing it's just a adjustment!
You want to get it up on a bike stand or if you don't have one somehow figure out a way to get the bike off the ground and start pedaling the bike and swtich gears and note where the noise starts. Then you will either have to turn the barrel adjuster (at the shifter or rear derailleur) clockwise or counterclockwise to get rid of the noise.

For the Record...I have this this same bike (Sirrus X) and there are no cross chain noises on it.

Last edited by prj71; 05-11-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 12:14 PM
Pallandsen

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shifting chainring

Hi all,

I have just bought a Sirrus x 5 2021, 12 gear. It’s a really nice bike, however I find the gearing too low. I won’t use the three lowest gears and I miss higher gears.
Has anyone changed the chainring from 40t to 42t or 44t? Preferably I would go for the 44 but I am not sure if it can fit.
would be great to learn from your experiences. Thanks
Likes For Pallandsen:
Old 05-12-21, 07:27 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Pallandsen
Hi all,

I have just bought a Sirrus x 5 2021, 12 gear. It’s a really nice bike, however I find the gearing too low. I won’t use the three lowest gears and I miss higher gears.
Has anyone changed the chainring from 40t to 42t or 44t? Preferably I would go for the 44 but I am not sure if it can fit.
would be great to learn from your experiences. Thanks
Go find some hills and pedal up them and see if you feel the same about the three lowest gears.
Old 05-12-21, 10:07 AM
bobthebike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Go find some hills and pedal up them and see if you feel the same about the three lowest gears.
I’d try an Ultegra cassettte. My 11-ring accepted a 11/32t easily and it was only $100 installed. I’m now touching all the rings.
Old 05-12-21, 10:12 AM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthebike
I’d try an Ultegra cassettte. My 11-ring accepted a 11/32t easily and it was only $100 installed. I’m now touching all the rings.
Did you have to remove any chain links?
Old 05-12-21, 12:33 PM
Pallandsen

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Denmark - it’s FLAT here. Highest point in Denmark is 170 meters.
Old 05-13-21, 09:02 AM
bobthebike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Way2Slow
Did you have to remove any chain links?
No, but I’m thinking of entertaining it. I’ve had a couple of derailments on smooth surfaces. That shouldn’t be.
Old 05-13-21, 09:27 AM
Way2Slow

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthebike
No, but I’m thinking of entertaining it. I’ve had a couple of derailments on smooth surfaces. That shouldn’t be.

Hmm, I know I need an adjustment to mine since I've put on the new wheels.
Old 05-14-21, 02:09 PM
waxcrazy

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Drivetrain noise can come from a variety of sources. Before I made any adjustments, I'd try to figure out what's making the noise.

When shifted to the largest cassette sprocket, is the upper pulley of the derailleur directly under the sprocket? Does it look like the chain is transitioning cleanly from the upper pulley to the largest sprocket? If so, then I don't think a twist of the barrel adjuster will quiet your drivetrain -- you may instead create shifting problems where there aren't any now. However, if the upper pulley is NOT lined up directly under the sprocket, then an indexing adjustment may help. If the derailleur is too far outboard (needs to move in towards the hub some), then unscrew the barrel adjuster a half turn at a time and ride. If the upper pulley is too far inboard towards the hub (and needs to move out to be lined up perfectly), then screw in the barrel adjuster a half turn at a time and ride. You may find it hard to get it perfect across the entire cassette. Maybe you improve the noise at the large end of the cassette but introduce shifting problems at the small end of the cassette. If this happens, there is likely other misalignment in the system.

Having said all that, depending on your specific setup, cross chaining can absolutely create more drivetrain noise. Some are more sensitive to it than others. Perhaps something as simple as fresh lube on your chain will quiet it down. I have a few 1x bikes and they are noisier at the large end of the cassette if the chain is particularly dry. With a freshly lubed chain, all runs quiet and smooth.
I took your advice...The new chain factory lube may have been the problem....I wetted down a rag with mineral spirits and rotated the chain several times to remove bulk of factory lube...let it dry good and applied white lightning dry lube and it is much improved!!!! Thinking the only noise I may be hearing now...but at a much lesser scale...is normal cross chain on the 2 lowest gears vs 4 lowest and much more noisy before!
Thank you!
Likes For waxcrazy:
Old 05-16-21, 08:40 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a mid-range Diverge with an expensive seat that was 'wearing' on me. I replaced it with a Brooks C19 made
from vulcanized rubber (no maintenance. no break-in). Loving it.
Old 05-17-21, 02:12 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I had to buy a new saddle for my Sirrus 3.0 after the Selle Royal Respiro cracked half way across the seat. It was a crack in the center that ran from the seat edge to the center channel. I noticed it when I saw a tear on the covering. The tear was the only visible part until I removed the saddle and turned it over and found the structural issue. I looked in several bike shops in the area and they had slim pickings on saddles. So I ordered the Selle SMP TRK Gel - medium - online - as that's the model the Selle site recommended when I ran their "Which Saddle for me?" app. It seems slimmer to me than the Respiro but seems like a keeper after a 20 mile maiden voyage today. I stopped once to move it back a bit and it felt a little better. The SMP has a strange curved down nose on it and I need to figure out the level I need. I "think" I need to tilt the front up a little to stop me from slipping down toward the center too often.
Old 05-19-21, 08:37 PM
IGotId

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Hello guys & gals, newbie here & 1st post. I'm 49 y.o. & looking at purchasing a hybrid bike in order to ride with my 3 kids (15, 11, & 10 y.o.). The older 2 kids just got Trek FX hybrids with rim brakes & the youngest has a Giant XTC. I haven't ridden a bike regularly since I had a Trek hybrid in the late 00s (which I was able to get decent money for several weeks ago).

I'm looking at an X 4.0 vs 5.0. I've read through the last 30 or so pages of this thread over the last couple of days & honestly much of the thread is too technical for me! I have several friends who ride road bikes & I've had them look at the specs on both bikes. All three of them have recommended the 5.0 due to the CF frame & components. I thought I'd check in with people who have first hand knowledge of these bikes!

4.0 or 5.0? My biggest concern is the CF frame on the 5.0. How durable is the frame? Or in other words is it easily damaged? Is the 5.0 overkill for someone like myself? I plan to ride this bike for over a decade hopefully!
Old 05-19-21, 09:22 PM
900ss

Bikes: 1987 Team Allez (Tesch), 2020 Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO, 2023 Turbo Levo S-Works, 2021 Turbo Levo SL Carbon Expert

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by IGotId
Hello guys & gals, newbie here & 1st post. I'm 49 y.o. & looking at purchasing a hybrid bike in order to ride with my 3 kids (15, 11, & 10 y.o.). The older 2 kids just got Trek FX hybrids with rim brakes & the youngest has a Giant XTC. I haven't ridden a bike regularly since I had a Trek hybrid in the late 00s (which I was able to get decent money for several weeks ago).

I'm looking at an X 4.0 vs 5.0. I've read through the last 30 or so pages of this thread over the last couple of days & honestly much of the thread is too technical for me! I have several friends who ride road bikes & I've had them look at the specs on both bikes. All three of them have recommended the 5.0 due to the CF frame & components. I thought I'd check in with people who have first hand knowledge of these bikes!

4.0 or 5.0? My biggest concern is the CF frame on the 5.0. How durable is the frame? Or in other words is it easily damaged? Is the 5.0 overkill for someone like myself? I plan to ride this bike for over a decade hopefully!
I bought my Sirrus X about a year ago, a 2020 11 speed model. It is a fantastic bike that handles, brakes and shifts very well. I since bought a turbo Creo Comp Carbon, which I love, but jumping on the Sirrus and going for a ride is a joy. It is lighter and feels more nimble, but of course the upright flat bar configuration makes for a very different ride. If you lived close to this area I would offer you a test ride. You will not be sorry!
Old 05-19-21, 09:28 PM
IGotId

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 900ss
I bought my Sirrus X about a year ago, a 2020 11 speed model. It is a fantastic bike that handles, brakes and shifts very well. I since bought a turbo Creo Comp Carbon, which I love, but jumping on the Sirrus and going for a ride is a joy. It is lighter and feels more nimble, but of course the upright flat bar configuration makes for a very different ride. If you lived close to this area I would offer you a test ride. You will not be sorry!
Thanks, I see you said 11 speed. Which one is that? The 5.0?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.