Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 07:04 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My recent addition of an aero, flat top carbon bar was mostly for comfort. I underestimated how much more comfortable it is. The way the levers mesh with the bars and the flat area gives much better distribution of forces off the ulnar nerve and the bar is more flexible (sprinters need not apply). I doubt I will ever have an aluminum bar again.
Old 06-15-22, 07:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My recent addition of an aero, flat top carbon bar was mostly for comfort. I underestimated how much more comfortable it is. The way the levers mesh with the bars and the flat area gives much better distribution of forces off the ulnar nerve and the bar is more flexible (sprinters need not apply). I doubt I will ever have an aluminum bar again.
I also underestimated how much more comfortable carbon aero bars can be. Many of our local roads create that irritating road "buzz" and carbon bars damp it out pretty effectively. Especially if specifically designed as endurance bars with a little more compliance than the race version. The split carbon seatpost on my Endurace is a stand-out feature too. Along with wider tyres and more compliant (vertically) wheels, these modern road bikes provide a pretty sublime ride.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-22, 07:38 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Back in the mid-1980s, good-quality bike-shop bikes surpassed everything we had known before that in terms of quality and functionality. I don't think anyone was lamenting the switch from coaster brakes to hand brakes, or bemoaning going from three speeds to 12 speeds, or angry that indexed shifting soon supplanted friction shifting.

I don't mind that things are progressing. However, I have no interest--personally--in the newer offerings and the newer technology. I'm perfectly content with my Cinelli. I enjoy the craftsmanship of a handmade steel bicycle. I like that I know the name of the Italian gentleman who built it. I enjoy the history. These are qualities the newer bikes simply don't have--traded instead for speed, convenience and comfort. I also like that I can experience what an actual top-of-the-line race bike felt like back then--an experience of today that I simply will never be able to afford. Back then, top of the line race equipment--while expensive--was still affordable--even for me, a college kid back then. Top-end racing bikes weren't priced the same as automobiles.

So...I enjoy my bike for what it is. If others find enjoyment in carbon fiber bikes with hydraulic disc brakes, that's fine. I wonder what else the future will bring?
Old 06-15-22, 07:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
All these years I thought "It's not the bike; it's the rider!"
On a level playing field where the bikes are all within a few years old of each other it's definitely the rider. Put two equally fit guys on the MTB trail one with a 1980s vintage mountain bike and the other with a mountain bike made in the last 5 years or so...Guarantee the guy on the newer bike will have the advantage.

Last edited by prj71; 06-15-22 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 07:57 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
What did you get? I’ve been thinking about different, more modern bars, too. I ride mostly on crushed stone so there is a lot of vibration through the bars.

Otto
Old 06-15-22, 08:22 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10441 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Perfect. What was the result again? 4 mins slower over 25 miles. Not a big deal, but enough to make it harder work if riding with a bunch of guys on newer bikes.
Well, like I said, 4 minutes over 25 miles is 10 seconds/mile. 10 seconds per mile is OTB, shelled, whatever you want to call it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-15-22, 08:26 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
What did you get? I’ve been thinking about different, more modern bars, too. I ride mostly on crushed stone so there is a lot of vibration through the bars.

Otto
i got two. one was called a prime primivera from chainreaction in england, about $200 shipped DHL express. i cannot recall the other.
Old 06-15-22, 08:27 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Pootling about in recreational mode, then the differences are much less noticeable, of course.
I'd say this is likely the OP's issue. In my world, everyone is looking for speed, just to "keep up with the Joneses" on club rides. But for a 10 mph MUP rider, it doesn't matter.

Everyone's responses seem to relate the performance aspect of modern bikes. How about a big one in my book - sealed bearings? It's a huge improvement that I no longer have to service wheels, headsets, etc every off-season.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 06-15-22, 08:48 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
How about a big one in my book - sealed bearings? It's a huge improvement that I no longer have to service wheels, headsets, etc every off-season.
I prefer my cup-and-cone bearing for the very reason you dismiss them--I can service them!
Old 06-15-22, 09:03 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
There are a few things that make me a retro grouch.

Carbon fiber wheels being ubiquitous. When I was racing, everyone had two (or more) sets of wheels. Something stiff and easy to repair for cheap. Mine were Mavic Helium’s, that Open Pro they used could be replaced in half an hour for $40. These were crit wheels.

My glue up American Classics would never get raced in a crit. Nowadays, looking at a Cat 4 crit, nearly every rider has carbon rims. In watching these events, they don’t seem to wreck less than I did, it just costs more. I really like a lot of the new wheels, I just can’t believe that people with regular jobs are racing them in crits.

Of course only businessmen and drug dealers had cell phones then too.

The other one that grinds my gears is suspension setup. Dude’s, I’m not that smart!

There were different weights of elastomers or different air pressures. That’s it. The Manitou FS (Palmer) shook things up with its damper, but in reality it just leaked out and the titanium spring did it’s thing.

My current fork is a space shuttle compared to that stuff. Sag? Low Speed? High Speed? Rebound? Negative pressure? Variable travel spacers? Uhh, I just wanna go ride bikes. Of course it works better in the hands of a moron than my old stuff would have with a genius. I can’t say I’m unsatisfied.

I grew up with 50mm of travel, I think we were up to 60 for XC and 80 for DH when the siren song of the road bike pulled me away. My current 160, even if I’m not using it all, is still huge.
Old 06-15-22, 11:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,309 Times in 2,949 Posts
It's funny how often you can predict someone's age, based on the year they think bike design peaked.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-15-22, 11:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's funny how often you can predict someone's age, based on the year they think bike design peaked.
Just like music.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-15-22, 11:43 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

We'll never know if it has peaked, because we don't know what next year will bring.

How old does that make me?

Old 06-15-22, 11:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Just like music.
There hasn't been a listenable piano concerto written since Gershwin's Concerto in F.

Old 06-15-22, 11:51 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by genejockey
We'll never know if it has peaked, because we don't know what next year will bring.

How old does that make me?
Clearly, you haven't been born yet ... or you're about 63-64 years old.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 06-15-22 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 12:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Clearly, you haven't been born yet ... or you're about 63-64 years old.
That seems awfully specific.

Old 06-15-22, 12:20 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by genejockey
That seems awfully specific.
If I knew your preferred tire width and tire pressure, I could probably narrow it down to a 4-5 month window.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-15-22, 01:13 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
Many posters have inadvertently been helping to make the OP's point. Posts referencing "keeping up" violate the "for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge" clause in the OP's post. They are actually arguing about a point that the OP specifically did not make. Rather than arguments saying the new bikes do or don't make one faster, we should be arguing about other aspects of new vs. old. Like durability, part standardization, aesthetics, road feel, etc., but not about speed. That is, if we give a **** about the OP's point, which we don't, I guess.

My sealed bearing Phil Wood bottom bracket is 46 years old. It feels like new, and is ready for another 46 years. Without creaking!
Old 06-15-22, 02:47 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Many posters have inadvertently been helping to make the OP's point. Posts referencing "keeping up" violate the "for anyone not pushing a competitive racing edge" clause in the OP's post. They are actually arguing about a point that the OP specifically did not make. Rather than arguments saying the new bikes do or don't make one faster, we should be arguing about other aspects of new vs. old. Like durability, part standardization, aesthetics, road feel, etc., but not about speed. That is, if we give a **** about the OP's point, which we don't, I guess.

My sealed bearing Phil Wood bottom bracket is 46 years old. It feels like new, and is ready for another 46 years. Without creaking!
It's a good point and I thought it might pop up again even though the conversation has moved on over 17 pages.

But you don't have to be racing competitively to benefit from a faster bike. If you are riding in a group then you might not appreciate being handicapped with an old bike. When riding solo speed obviously doesn't really matter.
Personally I just like new bikes whether I'm riding solo or in a fast group ride. I just find them more refined with better handling, brakes, gears etc. Similar reasons why I prefer modern cars.
While I can appreciate the nostalgia of a vintage race bike from the 70s, I don't particularly want to be riding one anymore. I'd rather sample new bikes every 5 or so years as time passes. For me that's the kind of timescale where you can generally notice some incremental improvement - especially with mountain bikes.
Old 06-15-22, 06:48 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 447 Posts
I sure don't begrudge anyone over whatever bike they like to ride. When I visited Tucson and actually was around other riders, admiring glances were mutual. Sure, I'd like to try an ultra-light bike. I'd be considerably more likely to do so if some were offered with step-through frames. With us baby-boomer/bike-boomer cyclists aging along, I think it's an under-served market. But maybe we're just too hard to please!
Old 06-15-22, 07:52 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I prefer my cup-and-cone bearing for the very reason you dismiss them--I can service them!
this is kind of what i was getting at….. people tout the ability to service something as a benefit, when it’s the very design that requires servicing. what’s better: a sealed bearing that you can’t service but doesn’t require servicing regularly…. or a bearing that you can service, and requires you to do so every year or two?
Old 06-15-22, 08:12 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by mschwett
what’s better: a sealed bearing that you can’t service but doesn’t require servicing regularly…. or a bearing that you can service, and requires you to do so every year or two?
You have to ask?? Obviously the latter.
Old 06-15-22, 08:37 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You have to ask?? Obviously the latter.
that certainly wouldn’t be my choice lol.
Old 06-15-22, 08:56 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by mschwett
this is kind of what i was getting at….. people tout the ability to service something as a benefit, when it’s the very design that requires servicing. what’s better: a sealed bearing that you can’t service but doesn’t require servicing regularly…. or a bearing that you can service, and requires you to do so every year or two?
Yep. I remember the good ol' days when I repacked bottom bracket and hub bearings at least once a year. It was easy to do, and I never complained about it. But, I've never had to service or replace any of my sealed bottom bracket or hub bearings. I prefer the latter.
Old 06-15-22, 09:13 PM
Jtravels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
The guy rides unicycles.

You can always smell someone pimping products. That guy is 100% correct.

So much of this new garbage is this that... garbage. And very poorly made

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.