Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 10:45 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
You insist that others that ride with you wear one also. Absurd.
I guess you don't plan on riding with me, then?
Old 07-02-17, 10:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Do you also require that your bicycling associates share your political and religious beliefs so that your and their souls and ethics are suitably protected from harm?
Old 07-02-17, 01:21 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Well I do wear a helmet so I would qualify. I don't however, dictate what another wants to wear that rides with me. That is his or her business.
Old 07-02-17, 03:22 PM
Papa Tom

Well I do wear a helmet so I would qualify. I don't however, dictate what another wants to wear that rides with me. That is his or her business.
That's because you are a much better person than I am.
Old 07-02-17, 04:01 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
That's because you are a much better person than I am.
Well I wouldn't go that far. It is true I wont ride with anybody that has a kickstand on his bike so not too different.
Old 07-02-17, 04:18 PM
Papa Tom

Well I wouldn't go that far. It is true I wont ride with anybody that has a kickstand on his bike so not too different.
I have a DOUBLE kickstand on my bike. You're DEFINITELY a much better person than I am.
Old 07-02-17, 04:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Add me to the list.

I'm not even allowed anymore on a popular century ride that I founded almost 50 years ago.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-02-17, 06:11 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Add me to the list.

I'm not even allowed anymore on a popular century ride that I founded almost 50 years ago.
Maybe you might want to think about putting on a helmet, if you want to ride in that ride...
Old 07-02-17, 06:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Maybe you might want to think about putting on a helmet, if you want to ride in that ride...
It's a big if. I've ridden that ride enough times since founding it, that I don't need to do it again. In fact the issue wouldn't have come up except that the folks who still run it thought it would be fun to have me join them on 25th anniversary.

It was a good idea and things were going fine until I asked if they'd waive the helmet rule.

So far, I've never wanted to do any particular ride enough to subject myself to what I think is a stupid rule. Meanwhile the 40th anniversary is coming up and I might show up as an unregistered rider.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 07-02-17, 07:17 PM
Papa Tom

Add me to the list.

Just to bring everyone up to speed, this is a pretty old thread, and in my post, I linked to an article that questioned whether bicycle helmets are really the right way to go. So I am open to all ideas, but when I ride, I choose to wear a helmet - if only to protect against hanging branches and falling acorns. Most of the people I ride with are meatballs and they ride like idiots, so I "insist" that they wear helmets, mostly because having to scoop their brains off the road seems like it would ruin a good ride.

If you guys are looking for a fight, count me out.
Old 07-02-17, 07:23 PM
FBinNY 

Just to bring everyone up to speed, this is a pretty old thread, and in my post, I linked to an article that questioned whether bicycle helmets are really the right way to go. So I am open to all ideas, but when I ride, I choose to wear a helmet - if only to protect against hanging branches and falling acorns. Most of the people I ride with are meatballs and they ride like idiots, so I "insist" that they wear helmets, mostly because having to scoop their brains off the road seems like it would ruin a good ride.

If you guys are looking for a fight, count me out.
No fight. I don't care whether you wear a helmet or not. I don't even care that you insist that your riding companions do. That's between you and them.

I simply say that if wearing a helmet is a condition of riding with you, then I won't ride with you.

Old 07-02-17, 07:40 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

No fight. I don't care whether you wear a helmet or not. I don't even care that you insist that your riding companions do. That's between you and them.

I simply say that if wearing a helmet is a condition of riding with you, then I won't ride with you.
That is actually fine, un-fortunately in this thread, personal feelings should not dictate things... JMO. If you want to wear a helmet wear one, if you don't, don't wear one. Over reacting may not be the answer... JMO Even tho, over reacting is/seems to be the answer by some in power, just make your feelings on the subject known to who you ride with, you do not need to follow the example of the ruling class and exclude others, just because they wear a helmet... ,
Old 07-02-17, 07:56 PM
FBinNY 

That is actually fine, un-fortunately in this thread, personal feelings should not dictate things...
There's a degree of asymmetry in the entire helmet debate.

It starts with the choice of words.

We have people who are pro helmet, but the opposite of pro helmet, isn't anti-helmet as seems to be used here too often. Those who don't wear helmets aren't anti helmet, they're simply not pro helmet, and that may be a subtle distinction, but failing to make it taints the debate.

By the same token, those who aren't pro helmet, don't impose any conditions on anybody. But too many (certainly not all) of those who are pro helmet do try to impose conditions, and/or denigrate folks the non-helmeted as ignorant yahoos.

I stay away from the helmet debate as a rule because I don't have a dog in the fight, and won't until/unless it shifts to a mandate. I don't even mind that ride organizers have helmet rules. It's their ride, so they get to make the rules, and I have the choice to not ride.

I added my "then count me out too" post after Papa Tom's post insisting his companions are helmeted. I didn't even say he was out of line, I just said "count me out".

So back to the asymmetry.

Those who don't choose to wear helmets are subjected to a variety of subtle and not so subtle pressures by helmet zealots, but the opposite isn't true.

Old 07-02-17, 08:16 PM
350htrr

There's a degree of asymmetry in the entire helmet debate.

It starts with the choice of words.

We have people who are pro helmet, but the opposite of pro helmet, isn't anti-helmet as seems to be used here too often. Those who don't wear helmets aren't anti helmet, they're simply not pro helmet, and that may be a subtle distinction, but failing to make it taints the debate.

By the same token, those who aren't pro helmet, don't impose any conditions on anybody. But too many (certainly not all) of those who are pro helmet do try to impose conditions, and/or denigrate folks the non-helmeted as ignorant yahoos.

I stay away from the helmet debate as a rule because I don't have a dog in the fight, and won't until/unless it shifts to a mandate. I don't even mind that ride organizers have helmet rules. It's their ride, so they get to make the rules, and I have the choice to not ride.

I added my "then count me out too" post after Papa Tom's post insisting his companions are helmeted. I didn't even say he was out of line, I just said "count me out".

Those who don't choose to wear helmets are subjected to a variety of subtle and not so subtle pressures by helmet zealots, but the opposite isn't true.
Yea, but, try not to sink to their level, I wear a helmet, but don't refuse to ride with people who don't wear a helmet. Official rides are different, then if I didn't want to wear a helmet I may refuse to ride in that official ride if they demanded I wear one and I didn't feel I needed to, but personal rides, who cares... was my point as it sounded like you said you wouldn't ride with anyone wearing a helmet even on a fun ride... ?
Old 07-02-17, 08:22 PM
FBinNY 

... was my point as it sounded like you said you wouldn't ride with anyone wearing a helmet even on a fun ride... ?
That would have been a misreading. It was a direct response to Papa Toms "i insist that my riding companions wear one..." comment (not directly quoted).

That's the kind of asymmetry I was referring to.

Those who don't wear helmets don't care, but many who do wear helmets are comfortable in urging others to do so.

In the summer, I get asked "where's your helmet" on a regular basis. Depending my mood I'll ignore them, or may respond with something like "it's the new invisible model" or "same place as your manners".

Old 07-03-17, 07:23 AM
Papa Tom

I'm gonna say this, then bow out. As "the bike guy" in my neighborhood, I take a lot of beginners and very inexperienced riders out with me on various occasions. Because most of them do not know what they are doing on a bike or on the road, I INSIST that they wear a helmet. I simply do not want the responsibility for a serious accident on my watch.

I guess I should have said that in the beginning, but the comment about "insisting" wasn't even the meat of my post, so I didn't think twice about it. I was simply saying that "this is my opinion, but read this article for another view." I don't think you can get much more open-minded than that, so yeah, I reject any of these replies accusing me of being arrogant or disrespectful or whatever.

For the record, I wear a helmet because helmets have been there for me when obstructions that could have seriously injured me have suddenly come across the road or path and because I've watched people crash to the ground and walk away because they were wearing one. I hate the look and feel of a helmet and I wish I lived in a more bicycle-friendly place where people don't feel the need to wear one. My insistence that those who tag along on my rides wear one is completely selfish, as I explained earlier. However, when I watched a beautiful young woman on one of my rides fall face first off her bike to the ground one day and come up without a scratch because her helmet took the impact, I felt a lot less selfish.

These helmet debates always suck. They make people who otherwise have some semblance of respect for one another start flinging ca-ca at each other for no good reason. Going forward, there are now two things I will not discuss with strangers. One is bike helmets.
Old 07-03-17, 08:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Let me state at the start, I am in 100% in alignment with you on this subject.

The past summer I've been wearing a helmet rarely on my commute, which is 80% on a Greenway where it IS, technically, mandated by park ordinance. It seems like I set an example, or maybe it's coincidence, but I've seen more commuter types sans helmet, while years past pretty much all of them wear one. By commuter types I mean riding with a decent bike with some sort of cargo capacity, a bag of stuff, and who are there often enough that they recognize me. More casual riders split about 50% like always and like you I don't care at all either way.

Anyway for the last week someone, I guess the park department, put up a big warning sign that flashes messages. It shows a bicycle and then "Speed limit 15" and "Wear a helmet". I'm trying not to take those personally, but I'm really tempted to contact whoever owns it and suggest some much more urgently needed advice for their sign. Such as don't block the path. Keep a short leash. Pass when CLEAR. Keep right jogging your baby carriage. LOTs of warnings are more important than "wear a helmet" and most of them don't pertain to cyclists.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-03-17 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 09:12 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
I'm gonna say this, then bow out. As "the bike guy" in my neighborhood, I take a lot of beginners and very inexperienced riders out with me on various occasions. Because most of them do not know what they are doing on a bike or on the road, I INSIST that they wear a helmet. I simply do not want the responsibility for a serious accident on my watch.
Hmmm, had you said "I simply do not want the responsibility for a serious accident where the injury could have been totally mitigated by a helmet on my watch" you may have had a point. As stated, insisting that these unskilled cyclists where a helmet is doing you little good and solely based on your description, it is only a matter of time before you will be responsible for a serious accident on your watch regardless of the presence of a helmet on the head. There are so many more ways, and I'd argue more *likely* ways, that a cyclist can be seriously injured than a head injury of the type preventable by a helmet that you are assuming significant responsibility for riding with cyclists that don't know what they are doing on a bike or on the road. I wish you the best of luck. I would not assume that responsibility with anyone but a very close relative. And then wearing a helmet would be way down my list of things to address before we went out on the road.
Old 07-04-17, 01:41 PM
PanoramicPixel

Bikes: 2017 Trek Crossrip 1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've cracked my skull many times throughout my life off the bike. Doesn't take much force to cause issues. So I don't ride without a helmet. Ever. I've also had enough spills now on the bike where I've smacked my head but was completely fine. One time I was going real slow up a hill but hit a thin sheet of ice. Rear wheel went out from under me and I fell back. First thing to hit was my head. Was ok and went home without a scratch. Without a helmet I would of been in a world of hurt and possibly knocked out. At the least I would of been bleeding and extremely disoriented. Instead I was able to get my wits back in an instant and look for other road users to register my danger. I don't tell others what to wear, but I know and hate the feeling of hard impacts on my skull. My helmet has saved my noggin several times. Not everyone needs to. Hell if you at going 10 mph on a trail out of traffic I completely understand. But for me no matter where, or how fast I wear one.
Old 07-05-17, 09:18 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'm going to derail this a bit.

Some friends of mine are in an MTB group and one of their rules is nobody with a kickstand is allowed to be a member. I'm friends with a couple of guys who wanted to join but were turned down for this very reason. I'm buds with all of them and after I designed a logo for the group, I was invited to join. I told them I put kickstands on all of my bikes, but thanks for offering. After some good-natured ribbing, I sent them a second logo. I've attached both.

Back to your regularly scheduled helmet debate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
coyotes_MTB.jpg (62.9 KB, 282 views)
File Type: jpg
coyotes_KD.jpg (65.5 KB, 280 views)
Old 07-31-17, 08:18 AM
Quator94
Marco Junger eBike Expert

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always worn a helmet while riding my big E fatbike through the world

Last edited by Quator94; 01-24-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 09:07 PM
mtbphoto

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I grew up biking a ton with my family and have always worn a helmet. But not going to lie, when I am just cruising around town running fast errands I do not wear a helmet. I just had my yearly checkup at my doctor and he said the only thing I should change in my lifestyle is to buy a new MIPS helmet, because not wearing a good helmet is my biggest risk. My doctor is pretty cool
Old 08-10-17, 04:00 AM
seagullplayer
Star of the Nursing Home

Bikes: Schwinn, Mirada

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never worn one.

But I don't think they should be outlawed.
Old 08-10-17, 07:14 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by seagullplayer
I have never worn one.

But I don't think they should be outlawed.
Best post in hundreds of pages!
Old 10-09-17, 01:33 PM
tourisme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbphoto
I grew up biking a ton with my family and have always worn a helmet. But not going to lie, when I am just cruising around town running fast errands I do not wear a helmet. I just had my yearly checkup at my doctor and he said the only thing I should change in my lifestyle is to buy a new MIPS helmet, because not wearing a good helmet is my biggest risk. My doctor is pretty cool
he may be pretty cool, but on this subject he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.