Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So ... what are the latest thoughts on carbon clinchers and rim brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So ... what are the latest thoughts on carbon clinchers and rim brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 08:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,522 Times in 1,516 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's worth revisiting this from 5 years ago. As someone who is still using rim brakes, I am sad to say it's probably true that rim-brake carbon fiber wheels are going to become an "orphan" technology soon. I doubt there will be much new investment, as most cyclists that are invested enough in the sport to buy new CF rims are almost always going to be running disc brakes.

I expect the existing technology to be around for many years, but don't think we will see any improvements on what we have.

Comments?
There are plenty of recent Average Joe real world videos comparing the two. I guess it boils down to if you think the advantages/disadvantages both on the bike and at the water cooler are worth it. Seems like you're around 140lbs. It might be worth it to you. The weight difference might matter and the reduced wet braking might not. I on the other hand, am 5'8" and around 200lbs. The advantages/disadvantages would be reverse for me. I don't know how windy it is in PA, either. Deep carbon wheels might turn a tall, wispy/willowy fellow into a kite on a windy day.

Old 01-17-22, 08:58 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3244 Post(s)
Liked 2,522 Times in 1,516 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's worth revisiting this from 5 years ago. As someone who is still using rim brakes, I am sad to say it's probably true that rim-brake carbon fiber wheels are going to become an "orphan" technology soon. I doubt there will be much new investment, as most cyclists that are invested enough in the sport to buy new CF rims are almost always going to be running disc brakes.

I expect the existing technology to be around for many years, but don't think we will see any improvements on what we have.

Comments?
BTW, I've ridden the 75 or 100 route of this ride every year except for the 2020(cancelled) on various vintage steel bikes with their matching brake systems. Even rode MAFAC Racers a couple of time in rain. Hit speeds of 50+ on some of the descents. Never really had a problem. It gets a little hairy in the rain sometimes. I don't know how a carbon wheelset would've done in the same conditions. The heat dissipation might have been a problem.
You should take a look at that ride. It'd be right in your wheelhouse.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29030456

https://www.ymcacva.org/storming-thunder-ridge
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-21-22, 09:55 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I'm light, I race and I live in CA. You'd think I'd be a huge proponent of rim brakes. And I am... for people on a budget. There's still no arguing that a rim brake bike is cheaper for a certain tier of performance than a disc brake one.

But after living with carbon rim brakes for a couple years, I'd never buy another carbon rim brake clincher for general riding again. I see cycling as a very, very slow motorsport and having brakes that just feel like crap (dry, wet, doesn't matter) makes me feel icky. I like having powerful, responsive, consistent brakes. Not because I need them, but because that's something I enjoy. The same way you might enjoy a light bike or supple tires. I think that dimension of disc brakes doesn't get talked about enough.
Likes For smashndash: