Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Much New is Too Much for You?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How Much New is Too Much for You?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It was the topic of the post he was quoting and directly replying to.

But his reply also had little to do with the OP.

I agree that the test in question was problematic for several reasons. I was just pointing out the one that was most obvious to me.

TBH, I think disc vs. rims make so little difference that I don't even see it as a factor in buying a bike. I think that probably relates better to the OP's topic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-14-22, 10:57 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've requested to close the thread; it seems to have run its course. Thank you all for your participation.
Old 04-14-22, 11:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2763 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
TBH, I think disc vs. rims make so little difference that I don't even see it as a factor in buying a bike. I think that probably relates better to the OP's topic.
Yes, that does relate to the OP.

For me, it depends on the type of bike.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-14-22, 07:06 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I think you should repeat that test under wet conditions. I can tell you which brake system would come to a stop first...
You will still have tire adhesion problems.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 04-14-22, 10:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 2,239 Posts
Flapping is not what vintage brake cable/housing does.
Fake news in earlier post needs fact check.
Classics' dignity will not be impugned.

Long flapping chains are truly inefficient.
Old 04-15-22, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Flapping is not what vintage brake cable/housing does.
Fake news in earlier post needs fact check.
Classics' dignity will not be impugned.

Long flapping chains are truly inefficient.

It's not flapping, it's waving!
Old 04-15-22, 12:26 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The bottom line here is that every one need to look at the "new" thing and decide for themselves if it is logical.
Old 04-15-22, 03:42 PM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The bottom line here is that every one need to look at the "new" thing and decide for themselves if it is logical.
Completely agree. Over the past 38 years of cycling, I’ve embraced some new tech, been indifferent to much of it, and found fault with some “improved” components and “standards”.
Likes For Point:
Old 04-25-22, 03:32 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 96 Posts
I am still not sold on electronic shifting. I have tried and and it's great just not "x" amount of $ better IMO and the hassle of charging yet another device. Cycling has massive diminishing returns, I'd rather put the money into wheels, carbon bits, or a power meter
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 04-25-22, 09:27 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
I am still not sold on electronic shifting. I have tried and and it's great just not "x" amount of $ better IMO and the hassle of charging yet another device. Cycling has massive diminishing returns, I'd rather put the money into wheels, carbon bits, or a power meter
Agree…but I’d rather invest the money in….IPA!
Old 04-26-22, 12:10 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I would worry about myself if I needed any new technology or what is fashionable to enjoy cycling. I enjoyed riding my Marin MTB a lot when I bought it 25 years ago, and just as much now, and there is no good reason why I should not. I love riding my road bike too, which is 50 years old, just as I enjoyed riding a similar bike back in the 1970s when I was a teenager. All most technology is for is a marketing strategy, so they have something to advertise as being "new", so they can trick someone into buying something. I had an 1899 Pierce, and aside from being fixed, gear, it did not look or function any differently that something you can buy today. The big secret is that most all enjoyment is going to come from finding new things out about yourself, not new things in a retail setting.
Likes For beng1:
Old 04-26-22, 01:30 PM
Rolla

Originally Posted by beng1
All most technology is for is a marketing strategy, so they have something to advertise as being "new", so they can trick someone into buying something.
Thank goodness you're on to them and their nefarious plot to advance technology. Long live the dandy horse!
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-26-22, 03:53 PM
toto34

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New bikes are just too much. Golf and cycling suck for that
Old 04-26-22, 08:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 766 Posts
I would worry about myself if I needed any new technology or what is fashionable to enjoy cycling.
Nothing to worry about. New stuff can be enjoyable. So is old stuff. I like my AXS ETap as much as my downtube shifting and vice versa. I'll give it more thought, but being worried about myself for enjoying new technology has never occorred to me.

All most technology is for is a marketing strategy, so they have something to advertise as being "new", so they can trick someone into buying something. I had an 1899 Pierce, and aside from being fixed, gear, it did not look or function any differently that something you can buy today. The big secret is that most all enjoyment is going to come from finding new things out about yourself, not new things in a retail setting.
Nah, no trickery involved. Just speaking for myself, as I'm sure you were, I know exactly what I'm buying, exactly what it cost and can make a rational guess at how much I will enjoy it. This is across the board. Maybe some of us are smart enough to discern the information/educational value of marketing and weed out the BS and what new stuff is actually new and valuable vs. just bells and whistles. If you believe all new technology is mostly marketing which is in turn, trickery Maybe your suspicion is based on your own experience being tricked? If so, learn to be more discerning.

How old is the computer you're using? Your TV? Your car? and the big one: your phone? Are all those things progressing just because of marketing? Have you been tricked into buying them? Are you worried that you enjoy them more than the TVs, computers, phones and cars you had 25 years ago? If you don't enjoy, at least, the computers, phones and cars of today vs. 25 years ago, I don't know what to say.

Last edited by Camilo; 04-26-22 at 09:05 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 04-27-22, 04:03 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,903 Times in 3,034 Posts
I would worry about myself if I needed any new technology or what is fashionable to enjoy cycling. I enjoyed riding my Marin MTB a lot when I bought it 25 years ago, and just as much now, and there is no good reason why I should not. I love riding my road bike too, which is 50 years old, just as I enjoyed riding a similar bike back in the 1970s when I was a teenager. All most technology is for is a marketing strategy, so they have something to advertise as being "new", so they can trick someone into buying something. I had an 1899 Pierce, and aside from being fixed, gear, it did not look or function any differently that something you can buy today. The big secret is that most all enjoyment is going to come from finding new things out about yourself, not new things in a retail setting.
That's just your perception, not reality. Technology and engineering generally improves products over time. It's fine to have a personal preference for older technology (people still enjoy steam engines) but that doesn't mean everything new is some kind of trick or conspiracy. I've been riding bikes since the mid 70s as a kid and to me they just keep getting better with every new generation. It's a slow and gradual process, a bit like evolution in the natural world.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-27-22, 05:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
That's just your perception, not reality. Technology and engineering generally improves products over time. It's fine to have a personal preference for older technology (people still enjoy steam engines) but that doesn't mean everything new is some kind of trick or conspiracy. I've been riding bikes since the mid 70s as a kid and to me they just keep getting better with every new generation. It's a slow and gradual process, a bit like evolution in the natural world.

It might not sound like it, but I'm agreeing with you on this post. I think there's a false dichotomy being drawn between marketing and technological innovation. Bicycles are, in essence, a mature technology where innovations are going to be incremental and evolutionary rather than radical. Marketing needs can drive the technological development, but that doesn't make it any kind of con. It's a matter of figuring out how to better meet the desires of some of the consumers who have or might buy bikes. Like all commercial endeavors, some of this will fail and some will be successful. The standard for determining which is which isn't how you or I feel about the particular innovation. That's what I like about this thread, people saying how they feel about particular innovations without being allowed to tell others that they're wrong to feel differently.
Old 04-27-22, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Camilo
Nothing to worry about. New stuff can be enjoyable. So is old stuff. I like my AXS ETap as much as my downtube shifting and vice versa. I'll give it more thought, but being worried about myself for enjoying new technology has never occorred to me.

Nah, no trickery involved. Just speaking for myself, as I'm sure you were, I know exactly what I'm buying, exactly what it cost and can make a rational guess at how much I will enjoy it. This is across the board. Maybe some of us are smart enough to discern the information/educational value of marketing and weed out the BS and what new stuff is actually new and valuable vs. just bells and whistles. If you believe all new technology is mostly marketing which is in turn, trickery Maybe your suspicion is based on your own experience being tricked? If so, learn to be more discerning.

How old is the computer you're using? Your TV? Your car? and the big one: your phone? Are all those things progressing just because of marketing? Have you been tricked into buying them? Are you worried that you enjoy them more than the TVs, computers, phones and cars you had 25 years ago? If you don't enjoy, at least, the computers, phones and cars of today vs. 25 years ago, I don't know what to say.

The big difference is that computers, smart phones, smart TVs, etc. were so revolutionary that a big part of the marketing was explaining what the technology actually was.

Bike development in the last 25 years has been much more incremental than those. It's a finer distinction between the usefulness and uselessness of any particular cycle innovation than the fundamentally different nature of a 25 year old electronic device. Riding my 1995 bike is not as different from riding a 2021 bike of the same caliber as using a Windows 95 computer would be from today's computers. A new bike isn't going to be 20x faster than a 25 year old bike. The comparison really isn't fair.

That said, I agree with you that if you believe these innovations are real and useful, you're not being conned, you're making an informed personal value judgment that I might or might not agree with.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-27-22, 05:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If you had bought the Pierce in 1899, you would've probably paid about $2000-3000 in today's dollars (about $75-100 in 1899). Seems pretty high for a simple fixed gear, huh? Innovation also drops prices.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-22, 04:54 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
...Technology and engineering generally improves products over time. .....
Don't kid yourself. In the consumer space, technology and engineering serves at the direction of marketing, with the purpose of increasing sales and profits. If that involves developing a truly better product, that's what they'll do. But it's often the opposite - figure out ways to make something cheaper and lower the price, or add more marketable features without any real benefit, and just keep pushing product. You couldn't have a full-suspension mountain bike with disk brakes that sells for $149 at Walmart, without some serious technology and engineering effort. Many (most) products are engineered to hit a price point rather than a quality level. That's true for just about everything these days.
Old 04-28-22, 07:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I certainly appreciate today's battery and LED technology compared to bicycle lighting technology back in the 1980's.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 04-28-22, 07:51 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked 1,397 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Don't kid yourself. In the consumer space, technology and engineering serves at the direction of marketing, with the purpose of increasing sales and profits. If that involves developing a truly better product, that's what they'll do. But it's often the opposite - figure out ways to make something cheaper and lower the price, or add more marketable features without any real benefit, and just keep pushing product. You couldn't have a full-suspension mountain bike with disk brakes that sells for $149 at Walmart, without some serious technology and engineering effort. Many (most) products are engineered to hit a price point rather than a quality level. That's true for just about everything these days.
of course things have to sell well to be successful products, so they’re engineered/designed to meet a price point. that doesn’t mean you don’t get more for your dollar, or the same for less dollars, as technology and productivity improve. it’s pretty hard to argue that a $500 phone, TV, camera, etc isn’t massively superior to the same inflation-adjusted price point a decade or two ago. it isn’t even only true of things that take advantage of moore’s law - today’s cars (aesthetics and packaging choices aside!) are incredibly fast and comfortable compared to sports or luxury cars from a few decades ago, with better fuel economy, way less emissions, at much lower relative price points. the relatively affordable bike i got my 10 year old daughter recently blows away the bikes i had as a kid - lighter, more gears, better ergonomics, smoother shifting and more powerful braking, etc.

i’m not denying that market targets drive engineering and design, but that doesn’t mean things aren’t getting better all the time.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 04-28-22, 09:32 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3962 Post(s)
Liked 7,361 Times in 2,965 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
I am still not sold on electronic shifting. I have tried and and it's great just not "x" amount of $ better IMO ...
No, but it is "y" amount of $ better, which exceeds the threshold of "z" for a lot of cyclists.
Old 04-29-22, 01:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Life's too short to sort out all the false dichotomies you've got going on in that post. Suffice it to say that all things being equal, producing the same item cheaper and lowering the price is both serving the marketing and making the better roduct available to a greater number of people.

"Price point" and "quality level" are separate variables, but I don't know of any way not to consider both in creating a viable product. There's better versions (quality) of your hypothetical Walmart bike, they cost more money (price). Where are you going with that?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-29-22, 02:12 PM
Rolla

Ugh. I get weary of the "it's all marketing" gripe that gets raised here whenever innovations are discussed. I've heard it used against everything from disc brakes to 1x drivetrains to tubeless tires. I suspect that those who repeat this sentiment the loudest have the least actual hands-on experience with the products in question.

Yes, manufacturers market their products; welcome to capitalism. But using "it's all marketing" as an excuse for an out-of-hand dismissal is frankly just laziness disguised as savvy discernment. Ride a couple hundred singletrack miles with tubeless tires and a dropper post and see if you still think it's just "marketing."

Last edited by Rolla; 04-29-22 at 02:15 PM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-29-22, 03:21 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4445 Post(s)
Liked 4,903 Times in 3,034 Posts
I'm not kidding myself. I'm a professional engineer. I can tell what tech is worth buying and what isn't. I've owned dozens of bikes and experienced their evolution first hand over the past 4 decades. I'm not in the market for Walmart bikes either and wasn't talking about that kind of cheap crap. I was thinking more about the evolution of high-end road and mtbs. The marketing side doesn't interest me at all (they talk a lot of BS) but the engineering is far more sophisticated than it was even a couple of decades ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.