Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Some parts of SD were, to me, stunning in their emptiness. My favorite spots were the unbroken - not even by a tree - grassland undulations, for as far as you could see.

Not surprisingly, the wind was absolutely ripping through those spots.
A lot of ND was like that. Felt like someone had removed the roof. Great feeling of freedom. You often knew you were getting to a town when you saw a water tower and trees in the distance.

During a supported tour we left the lunch stop and had 18 miles until the next stop. Straight road with constant undulations. After passing by a cowboy on horseback with a collie, a woman with the ride was parked along the side of the road with water and Gatorade. We stopped to fill the bottles. It was really windy. She told us the next stop was in 9 miles. I said “I feel like we’ve been riding for an hour since we left the lunch stop.” My friend looked at her watch and said “We have been.” Going down the undulations I was hitting around 12 mph in a tuck.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-11-22, 11:32 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
If I don't bring my bike (still undecided on that) and take you up on your generous Cervelo loan program, I'll bring tools and grease to hunt any clicks, creaks, or squeaks that should pop up.

Sounds like a plan, bring your mini pump, I don’t have a spare. Should have brand new tires on it when you get here.
Old 12-11-22, 11:37 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
sorry about your son trainsnorter. Hope he heals quickly.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 12-11-22, 12:16 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 308 Posts
There is some stunning scenery here in NoDak. Winter is brutal. Some of us can deal with it. Mrs. Dan booked us an ice fishing trip in January, so we have been there and done that. On the way home we couldn't get the car interior above freezing. It was something like -30F outside.

Other than the interior of Alaska, the northern plains of NoDak and Montana have the most hostile winter weather in the USA. South Dakota just doesn't give you the "Full Dakota Experience."

In the summer it can be windy. We have had to cut short a ride on the tandem because we were only going 8 MPH into the wind. And it is windy almost all year round. Mostly out of the North or Northwest. Then it flips overnight to be out of the South for a day or two.

I haven't spent as much time in the western part of the state as I should, but the Badlands / TR National park are beautiful.

If you find a place where they have planted Canola and Flax in adjacent sections it is a sight when they are in bloom. A square mile of yellow Canola, then a square mile of blue flax. It is as beautiful as the flower seed farms near Lompoc California.

Sunflowers are also delightful to ride through. And I do know a farm where they plant a row of Zinnias along the highway, and they bloom from July until the first freeze, which is normally late September or early October.

The Cheyanne National Grasslands are a fantastic place to do some trail riding. Also the Madahey Trail in the Badlands.

The International Peace Garden is in the rolling hills along the border with Manitoba. Also, the Pembina Gorge.
Old 12-11-22, 12:53 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
My son's orthopedist was able to watch video provided by the weightlifting organization and see the legs collapse in real time and in slow motion. He surmises torn quadricep tendons outer side of the knees. One leg is worse than the other. MRI tomorrow to get the full picture. He prescribed pain killers and a muscle relaxer. You medical guys know more but I understand that the quads are traumatized, spasming and not working and that hopefully with the drugs he may be able to get some motion.

Anyway, MRI tomorrow to determine the next step.

Old 12-11-22, 12:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My son, the power lifter, squats and deadlifts around 625#. At a meet yesterday, he was doing his second lift at 606# and blew both knees out. He was taken by ambulance to an ER and the er doc couldn't understand what happened and just couldn't grasp power lifting. They couldn't produce an MRI operator on a Saturday (Chicago suburb hospital) so they immobilized both legs and discharged him. I drove to Chicago and picked him up. Because both legs are immobilized in a straight position, they laid him semi-flat in the back of my van for the trip.

Taking him to see his orthopedic surgeon this morning, same doc who reattached his bicep after detaching it last winter while doing a 625+ deadlift. Bet his surgeon is going to be real happy.

BTW, I saw the video (which I won't post) as his legs gave out and he fell face down screaming.
Holy ****! Hope they can repair him soon and completely.
Old 12-11-22, 12:54 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
My son's orthopedist was able to watch video provided by the weightlifting organization and see the legs collapse in real time and in slow motion. He surmises torn quadricep tendons outer side of the knees. One leg is worse than the other. MRI tomorrow to get the full picture. He prescribed pain killers and a muscle relaxer. You medical guys know more but I understand that the quads are traumatized, spasming and not working and that hopefully with the drugs he may be able to get some motion.

He’s not juicing is he? That’s a good way to make muscles too strong for their tendons. OTOH, I knew plenty of regular people who have torn tendons doing pretty normal things.
Old 12-11-22, 12:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

Ouch. Fingers crossed for a full and speedy recovery.
Old 12-11-22, 01:05 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts

I shivered when I read that. I'm hoping for a full recovery!
Old 12-11-22, 01:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
He’s not juicing is he? That’s a good way to make muscles too strong for their tendons. OTOH, I knew plenty of regular people who have torn tendons doing pretty normal things.
No, he’s clean. Urine tests regularly. Can’t have had a positive test for several years or he can’t compete.

Old 12-11-22, 01:48 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Oh wow, Trainspotter - I hope your son makes a quick and complete recovery. Just reading that had me reaching for Tylenol.
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 12-11-22, 01:57 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
See! See!! I'm NOT CRAZY!!!!!!
but you've been limited by the availability of Avocet O2 Air 40 saddles !
Likes For t2p:
Old 12-11-22, 02:01 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8845 Post(s)
Liked 2,995 Times in 1,741 Posts
My son, the power lifter, squats and deadlifts around 625#. At a meet yesterday, he was doing his second lift at 606# and blew both knees out. He was taken by ambulance to an ER and the er doc couldn't understand what happened and just couldn't grasp power lifting. They couldn't produce an MRI operator on a Saturday (Chicago suburb hospital) so they immobilized both legs and discharged him. I drove to Chicago and picked him up. Because both legs are immobilized in a straight position, they laid him semi-flat in the back of my van for the trip.

Taking him to see his orthopedic surgeon this morning, same doc who reattached his bicep after detaching it last winter while doing a 625+ deadlift. Bet his surgeon is going to be real happy.

BTW, I saw the video (which I won't post) as his legs gave out and he fell face down screaming.
Dang I hope he has a complete recovery.
Old 12-11-22, 02:13 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts

yikes

quad tendon - one of the largest tendons on your body (if not the largest ?)

wishing him a full recovery
Old 12-11-22, 02:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts

Ugh.
Old 12-11-22, 02:38 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3206 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,165 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Well, you are in luck, the abomination is a 997. He should be punched anyway.

Janis Joplin caught some guff for doing this to a Porshe
Old 12-11-22, 02:41 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,923 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
but you've been limited by the availability of Avocet O2 Air 40 saddles !
Totally.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-11-22, 02:46 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3206 Post(s)
Liked 1,848 Times in 1,165 Posts
Does one go back to power lifting after an injury like that?
Old 12-11-22, 03:02 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
Janis Joplin caught some guff for doing this to a Porshe
Janis got a pass because hippie.

This guy is just an attention wh*re.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-11-22, 03:13 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts

oh noooo. sending positive vibes for a full and (relatively) speedy recovery. injuries are horrible but watching them as a parent is almost worse. 😭
Old 12-11-22, 03:17 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i braved chilly (for us) and wet/debris laden roads to get about 5,000’ of climbing in today and am almost back on track for the year!

still can’t manage to keep my hands warm. new gloves are better but for long stretches i could barely shift due to cold numbness. (and yes, californians are weak. the coldest it got was mid 40s)

Old 12-11-22, 03:37 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by mschwett
i braved chilly (for us) and wet/debris laden roads to get about 5,000’ of climbing in today and am almost back on track for the year!

still can’t manage to keep my hands warm. new gloves are better but for long stretches i could barely shift due to cold numbness. (and yes, californians are weak. the coldest it got was mid 40s)

I had been planning to do an outdoor ride today, but Mrs. GJ woke me up early to tell me The Younger Boy was having an anxiety attack and needed somebody other than her to talk to. Poor boy inherited it from both sides. Anyway, 3 hours later he was feeling much better, but I wanted to stay available. So it was Zwift for me! About half the time and calories I'd normally expend on a Sunday. I did the Innsbruck UCI lap, with the big climb. I decided to stay around 240-260w as much as possible, and not chase anyone.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-11-22, 03:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

That's...
I mean...
Um.... 606#? Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and the wee donkey!
Okay, starting over.
Dude, that's awful! I feel awful for him! And for you! I hope his recovery goes smoothly and successfully, with no longterm effects!

Old 12-11-22, 04:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts

Makes me shiver reading about that injury. Hope he recovers okay.
Old 12-11-22, 04:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I, by the way, would totally be the philistine with an art car. Nothing rare or historic, but a 997? Absolutely

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.