Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rainwear for the legs/feet--what do you use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rainwear for the legs/feet--what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07, 05:21 PM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by okpik
when it comes to riding in the rain, especially a cold hard rain ie temps below 40 F that few people ride in that kind of weather very often

and few people voluntarily ride in the rain period, so waterproof feet doesnt get much attention, why should it? not much demand here for this kind of thing

Yea, I have kinda a "no mans zone" that I don't ride in. A cool rain (down to about low 50's) is tolerable. And mountain biking in the snow is fun. But that in between, where it is almost cold enough to snow but just rains. Well that just plain sucks.

-D
Old 01-09-07, 05:22 PM
John Wilke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wouldn't ride in the rain if it's under 50, hypothermia is too much of a concern if I'd bonk. Above that - rain jacket with temp. appropriate clothing under, sports cream covered by Vaseline on the shaved legs.

jw
Old 01-09-07, 05:26 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by timmhaan
this is about as close as you'll get:

and as an added bonus, they're all the rage with the Hipster chics in NYC.
Old 01-09-07, 06:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I use just regular tights if it is a cool rain ... and either nylon booties if it is fairly warm, or neoprene booties if it is cold.
Old 01-09-07, 06:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by John Wilke
I wouldn't ride in the rain if it's under 50, hypothermia is too much of a concern if I'd bonk. Above that - rain jacket with temp. appropriate clothing under, sports cream covered by Vaseline on the shaved legs.

jw
Why on earth would you bonk???? If you keep eating while you ride, you'll be fine. Oh ..... I get it .... you're worried that your energy bars etc. would get soggy and become unappealing .... and you wouldn't eat them, and then you'd bonk! Well, here's your solution: ziploc baggies!! Put your energy bars in ziploc baggies and they won't get soggy ... then you can keep eating while you ride, and you'll be fine.