Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Where are the MD peoples

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-10, 09:12 PM
atariwhizkid

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn Expensinental, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2011 Mercier Kilo WT5, 2011 Dahon Speed D7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do any of you use studded tires in Baltimore on a regular basis for commuting? I used to have a set when I lived in Ohio but I sold them when I moved here, thinking that the winters here were mild enough not to warrant their use. I didn't commute in the winter last year (but it was pretty terrible), and today's snow was dicey enough to get me thinking about buying another pair.

Thoughts from anyone here that commutes/rides in Baltimore: will they be worth the money? Or is there not enough snow and ice to warrant a purchase?
Old 12-16-10, 10:43 PM
greaterbrown

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atariwhizkid
Thoughts from anyone here who commutes/rides in Baltimore: will they be worth the money? Or is there not enough snow and ice to warrant a purchase?
I think they're worth it. I'm not much for full on snow riding. I'll do the shortest possible route (includes use of Metro) for that. But Baltimore hangs in that 30 degree area where there is a little snow, then a little melting, then a refreeze- this is where you get a lot of wet icy wash outs on the roads. Even when they're infrequent, studded tires give you a MUCH higher level of calm when riding in traffic. And, what little they slow you down from drag, they more than make up for by allowing you to ride faster in mixed conditions.

BTW if the tires are just for commuting, I'd get the thinnest and fastest one's you can find. My recommendations are the Schwalbe Marathon Winters (NR rides them and they look like they're great tires) and I ride on Nokian A10's for a 650B wheeled bike.

Last edited by greaterbrown; 12-16-10 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-17-10, 06:32 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
I think they're worth it. I'm not much for full on snow riding. I'll do the shortest possible route (includes use of Metro) for that. But Baltimore hangs in that 30 degree area where there is a little snow, then a little melting, then a refreeze- this is where you get a lot of wet icy wash outs on the roads. Even when they're infrequent, studded tires give you a MUCH higher level of calm when riding in traffic. And, what little they slow you down from drag, they more than make up for by allowing you to ride faster in mixed conditions.

BTW if the tires are just for commuting, I'd get the thinnest and fastest one's you can find. My recommendations are the Schwalbe Marathon Winters (NR rides them and they look like they're great tires) and I ride on Nokian A10's for a 650B wheeled bike.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!

I'm riding mine pretty much full time now. My commute is 24 miles--Essex to Aberdeen on Pulaski Hwy.

This morning's commute: https://connect.garmin.com/activity/59906156
Old 12-17-10, 08:02 AM
atariwhizkid

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn Expensinental, 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2011 Mercier Kilo WT5, 2011 Dahon Speed D7

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
24 miles on studded tires! You are a beast! I only have a 5 miles to go and I dread the resistance of snow/ice tires.

Going to consider both the Nokians and Schwalbes. Any idea on what is more durable? Reviews on Schwalbes seem to point toward them being a little bit longer lasting, and perhaps a better deal in the long run.
Old 12-17-10, 08:36 AM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Missing my studded bike these days! Hope to be back in the saddle with them by next week. Xmas parties require me to schlep foods (read: drive car)and bike meetings leaving me little time to wrench.

You go Isaias and Bob, I'm with you in spirit.

@Atari: Studs allow you to always be ready for days like yesterday. I think it best to have a dedicated winter bike that is always ready to roll. That being said, mine sits idle so do as I say not as I do. I figure I save about 5 bucks in gas (at least) per day so I can easily justify buying studded tires. I use Nokians, haven't lost a stud, 4 years old and still solid. Some years I have only used them a handful of times. Last year they were on the bike for a month at least. Around here even if it doesn't snow often it does go through a freeze and thaw period. Daytime snow melts then refreezes on the roads at night. I ride very early6-630 so ice is everywhere. I use the mnt bike studded Nokians as iuse to ride some single track for part of my commute. I no longer ride that section. They are noticeably slow but I can handle some snow as well as ice. They are called N. Mount and Guard 160's. Enough studs but not too many. If you stick with city type streets and ice is your main concern check out the Schwalbes as they offer good ice handling and lower resistance. Not certain if Nokians sell a narrow tire. Nobody sold a narrow tire when I bought mine. In fact mine was the least resistant tire back then.

EDIT: I own these 26" Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106, I checked Peter Whites site

Last edited by balto charlie; 12-17-10 at 09:52 AM. Reason: tire mistake
Old 12-17-10, 08:42 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 miles on studded tires! You are a beast! I only have a 5 miles to go and I dread the resistance of snow/ice tires.

Going to consider both the Nokians and Schwalbes. Any idea on what is more durable? Reviews on Schwalbes seem to point toward them being a little bit longer lasting, and perhaps a better deal in the long run.
My set of Schwalbes are on their second season with only 3 studs having fallen out.
Old 12-17-10, 08:43 AM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balto charlie
You go Isaias and Bob, I'm with you in spirit.

Thanks, Charlie!
Old 12-17-10, 09:11 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peter White's page about studded tires is a good explanation of the differences. https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp
The Nokian A10's seem like they have a more squared off shape. They are very stable going straight but the transition into a curve feels a little awkward (but never with loss of traction). The Schwalbe's appear to have a more rounded shape so I bet they transition to the side more smoothly, but I've never ridden them. They are both good all-arounder tires.
Old 12-17-10, 04:19 PM
HC203

Bikes: Madone 08,Trek520,Bianchi Pista,Raleigh Tandem,Cdale SuperV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tires

Just mounted my cyclocross tires on my trek 520. What i had on last winter, won't help much with ice but i feel a tad more stable than riding slicks-and i'm riding down to 5ml race in druid tmrw-why drive? parking will be hell. Looks like biggest problem you may have with schwable is finding them in stock. I see Continental makes a winter tire as well. Ive had good luck with Connies so may go with them. Either way it is an investment. I would just keep them on my 520 as winter bike.
Old 12-17-10, 05:28 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
studs

Did I pay too much? said they were on sale. Thanks for that link GB, very informative. I figure if these work for the 15k man then they're good enough for me.

700 x 35c Marathon Winter

$69.95

$139.90
Old 12-17-10, 10:53 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's seems like the going rate for those tires now. Bike tires direct showed them a little cheaper, but they're out of stock.
Hot damn. Harry's going ice-bikin'
Old 12-18-10, 10:07 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TWO Questions for the Peeps

Hows about a winter get-together y'all? I've got Sunday January 9th free for a brunch at Koopers in Fells Point.

Next Ramble will be the simple, but hilly ride: "To Frederick On Frederick". I'll schedule it for January 2nd unless Isaias (or others) voice dissent.
Old 12-18-10, 12:45 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikes

I'll put down Jan 2 for ramble and try again, was planning on doing something on Jan1, not sure what.

Rode down to the Celtic Solstice 5 miler in Druid Hill today. My cyclocross tires were fine though a bit fat and rubbing on fenders, maybe brake pads. Coming home was kind of grueling, but short of course. I had just run 5 miles, maybe that had something to do with it. My friend John, runs Gertrudes at BMA hosted pancake breakfast after race, huge stack of chocolate sweet potato pancakes-YUMM!!

Would be into the winter get together-except I think I'm doing a hike that weekend-Old Rag.
Old 12-18-10, 04:44 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bob--no dissent here. I have no plans to do the winter CWC this year, especially since 15k seems to be very much in the bag. Looking forward to the winter get-together.

Ok, as of today's ride, I have retired last year's mileage personal best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every ride for the remainder of the year will be a new personal best until midnight January 1.
Old 12-18-10, 06:04 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Bob--no dissent here. I have no plans to do the winter CWC this year,
Phew! My sentiments exactly. (of course if it's a beautiful day... )
Originally Posted by NoRacer
Looking forward to the winter get-together.
Ok, as of today's ride, I have retired last year's mileage personal best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're closing in. I might ride Renee's ride on Monday giving me a quick 60. Taking it easy tomorrow. doing some shopping.
Old 12-19-10, 03:47 PM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hows about a winter get-together y'all? I've got Sunday January 9th free for a brunch at Koopers in Fells Point.
I'm in!
Old 12-20-10, 02:15 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maxine
I'm in!
Nice.
Hope Charlie can make it.

Rode 61 miles today. Tomorrow's commute should do it.
Old 12-20-10, 02:53 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice.

: Good for you!

I still have about 200 miles yet to go.
Old 12-21-10, 07:26 AM
balto charlie

Nice.

I'm in
As I write this you will be riding and cresting the 10K mileage, awesome. Well done GB

As for me: have been off of the bike for almost a week. I think last Wednesday was the last ride. Partys, meetings and shopping have cut into my miles. I just had a great meeting with our new councilman about biking in our 'hood. It went very well!! I think we are finally going to see some bike lane going down in Baltimore County. Winter beater should be back on the road by weeks end as the build is going well. Finally hacked sawed my bar ends to retrieve the shifters and brakes. When buying the new cables, bar and stuff at Bicycle works I ran into none other than GB getting some work done to his new steed.
NR: better get the miles in before Christmas, a major storm expected. I remember last year with you all poised to crest 15K only to be beaten down by mother nature at the finish line.
Hey Max, nice seeing you around.
Old 12-21-10, 09:57 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in
As I write this you will be riding and cresting the 10K mileage, awesome. Well done GB
What he said! GB and NR, you guys rock! (As the kids say .) [[[ applause! ]]]

As for me: have been off of the bike for almost a week. I think last Wednesday was the last ride. Partys, meetings and shopping have cut into my miles. I just had a great meeting with our new councilman about biking in our 'hood. It went very well!! I think we are finally going to see some bike lane going down in Baltimore County.
Charlie, it's really admirable how you have jumped into the city cycling advocacy scene. Well done!

NR: better get the miles in before Christmas, a major storm expected.
Really?? Oh, man. I thought we were just getting some "snow showers." I'll be up in PA, but driving back Sunday, and hoping I won't have to get out and shovel before I can pull into the driveway!

Hey Max, nice seeing you around.
I will likely have to resort to 4 wheels for the Koopers get-together . . . unless I happen to be able to buy some "snow tires" *and* get some practice in using them before then! (In winters past, cold temps have usually not chased me off the bike, but lingering frozen precip on the ground has; I've never tried studded tires. From what you guys say, though, taking into account my ALREADY slow riding pace, I'd probably have to leave at sunup to make Fells Point by brunch! )
Old 12-21-10, 10:36 AM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped at a liquor store on my way in this morning and bought a bottle of Belgian Duvel for a little afterwork celebration.

Gotta get NR over the hump now. I've got some time between xmas and ny and would be up for a century to round out the year. I bet you've got it in the bag with commuting anyway. GO Isaias!

Glad Charlie's in for the brunch. Psyched.
Old 12-21-10, 03:40 PM
NoRacer
Isaias

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped at a liquor store on my way in this morning and bought a bottle of Belgian Duvel for a little afterwork celebration.

Gotta get NR over the hump now. I've got some time between xmas and ny and would be up for a century to round out the year. I bet you've got it in the bag with commuting anyway. GO Isaias!

Glad Charlie's in for the brunch. Psyched.
Yay!!!!! Good job, GB!

I'm not working this week, so it's been a mental battle to get out on the bike.

I did ride about 65 miles today--have about 127 miles left.

The support is appreciated, but it's my own mental fortitude that will make or break me. I think the studded tires are making it harder. There's really no reason to have them on right now, but come Saturday they will probably be required.
Old 12-22-10, 07:18 AM
balto charlie

Gotta get NR over the hump now.
GB

NR: double metric, chump change for you. Swap them tires and fly. I looked at Bikejournal the other day and your mileage ranks in the top 15 of the country You're probably #1 in MD as most of the cyclist are from the south(Tex, Ca etc). GB is probably #2 in the state. Onward!
Old 12-22-10, 12:06 PM
HC203

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys are an inspiration!! Hopefully I can at least commit to a century a month in 2011.

Right now I fear I need to take a break from the bike. Being freaked by high PSA numbers. PSAnxiety!! Apparently lots of biking can bounce the numbers and I have a history of prostatitis-so hoping that's all it is.

Actually right now looking for a saddle that will allow me some relief so I can keep riding-even so, if I do the Ramble in January you can expect to see me standing-lots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Road top & profile blk.jpg (15.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-22-10, 12:31 PM
greaterbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HC203
Being freaked by high PSA numbers. PSAnxiety!! Apparently lots of biking can bounce the numbers and I have a history of prostatitis-so hoping that's all it is.
Public Service Announcements?

Originally Posted by HC203
You guys are an inspiration!! Hopefully I can at least commit to a century a month in 2011.
Love to see you more often. BTW when you get your Schwalbes set up, feel free to drop in on my Saturday commutes or a monday ride.

re: Saddles- I love the feel and construction of these: https://www.koobi.com/koobiprscentury.aspx
(the cut-out goes all way to the nose)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.