Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

DeRosa Stem - Black or Silver?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

DeRosa Stem - Black or Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 11:35 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 549 Posts

The only bike I have with a black anodized stem is my 1984 Gitane Tour de France.
I just happened to bump into it while shopping around eBay for components. I was also not sure wheter I really like black anodized stems, but this one has a cool pantograph on it that says "Cycles Gitane", so I really had to get it for the bike. In the end it worked out because my headset on the bike is a black anodized Stronglight A9 (Not the original B10) my Stronglight 107 big chainring is also black anodized and my Chain is a Sedis/Sachs black and silver linked chain. The bubble font Gitane graphics is also black with yellow bordering and my RD is a silver and black Simplex LJ 4000 so there's certainly enough black stuff on the bike to match the stem.
one thing I had noticed though, when shopping around for stems is, generally, black anodized stems are cheaper than silver clear anodized ones.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 01-10-24, 01:26 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryBSky
I need to replace the stem that came on this DeRosa. I was looking at a black Cinelli or should I go with silver? Should the stem and seatpost match?
To each their own but I don’t think the seatpost and stem need match. However, I think it’s important that when using a black stem the handlebar tape does _not_ match…