Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Sugar doesn't hurt you - as long as you eat it in moderation

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Sugar doesn't hurt you - as long as you eat it in moderation

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 02:14 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Pretty much every time a food has been portrayed as a "super villain" it has turned out to be not so bad in hindsight.
MSG was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.
Salt was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.
Fat was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.
Saturated fat was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.
HFCS was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.
Sugar was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.
Gluten was terrible and the root of all nutritional evil.

Be wary any time a single food is blamed for all of our problems. It's never that simple. The people doing this are usually looking to sell books or seminars and offer up a "quick fix" to get people's interest.

Sugar isn't awful. It just is empty calories and is easy to over-consume because it tastes so good. A small amount won't impact your health in any way. It isn't an "all or nothing" situation. Sadly, many people consume far to much and that is when the problems arise.

Last edited by OBoile; 07-26-16 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added in gluten after reading kbarb's post
Old 07-25-16, 04:01 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
funny how people will whitewash any kind of bad eating and diet habits in the name of gluttony.
Old 07-26-16, 09:26 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by FXjohn
funny how people will whitewash any kind of bad eating and diet habits in the name of gluttony.
Who said anything about "gluttony"?
Old 07-26-16, 09:53 AM
kbarb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Who said anything about "gluttony"?
Yes, exactly. I believe you said "many people consume far too much and that is when the problems arise."

Also I would add to your list, it seems like many people look to one evil villain in the food department to explain some generalized physical discomfort, or some general overall feeling of malaise, dystopia, whatever.
The number of people, even within my larger family of relatives, now claiming that all their health problems are caused by (for example) gluten really amuses me, when the "The percentage of people with clinically diagnosed disease (symptoms prompting diagnostic testing) is 0.05–0.27% in various studies." (wikipedia)

I once had a housemate of the same outlook who read some pamphlet, some websites, then ordered a whole enema kit which she used daily for a couple of weeks. Of course, it made no difference.
Old 07-26-16, 12:13 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by kbarb
Yes, exactly. I believe you said "many people consume far too much and that is when the problems arise."

Also I would add to your list, it seems like many people look to one evil villain in the food department to explain some generalized physical discomfort, or some general overall feeling of malaise, dystopia, whatever.
The number of people, even within my larger family of relatives, now claiming that all their health problems are caused by (for example) gluten really amuses me, when the "The percentage of people with clinically diagnosed disease (symptoms prompting diagnostic testing) is 0.05–0.27% in various studies." (wikipedia)

I once had a housemate of the same outlook who read some pamphlet, some websites, then ordered a whole enema kit which she used daily for a couple of weeks. Of course, it made no difference.
Yes. I can't believe I forgot gluten. I'm going to add it to my list now.

A great book to read is called the "The Gluten Lie" by Alan Levinovitz. It's pretty crazy just now little we actually know about nutrition and how much of this stuff is really not based on any true science.
Old 07-26-16, 01:45 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
eat more MSG, folks
Old 07-26-16, 02:51 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by FXjohn
eat more MSG, folks
Is this an attempt at humour, or just a bad straw-man argument?
Old 07-26-16, 03:50 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Just a lazy strawman. From the guy who can't understand the difference between gluttony and moderation.
Old 07-26-16, 04:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I stay away from sucrose for the simple reasons that it acts as a stimulant drug in my system, leading to a short term high then deeper crash. Also, for me, quite addicting.

Sucrose was never consumed in large quantities by man until recent years. (A half millennium being a short time in the big picture.) The primary sources for humans are from very dilute sap (maple, beet and cane). My little hummingbirds eat large amounts of I suspect nearly pure sucrose (flower nectar) and suffer no ill effects from drinking the sucrose water I put out from them. But if I took all the nectar from my honeysuckle vine, I might get a cup. In one year.

It seems logical to me that humans are not designed to eat more than very small amounts of sucrose. It certainly feels that way for me. And this observation is not because of all the news, etc. I've read in the past few years. This is based on observation of my body 40 years ago when I raced, ate a very clean diet of whole foods and was very in tune with all aspects of my body and diet.

Ben
Old 07-26-16, 06:26 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I stay away from sucrose for the simple reasons that it acts as a stimulant drug in my system, leading to a short term high then deeper crash. Also, for me, quite addicting.

Sucrose was never consumed in large quantities by man until recent years. (A half millennium being a short time in the big picture.) The primary sources for humans are from very dilute sap (maple, beet and cane). My little hummingbirds eat large amounts of I suspect nearly pure sucrose (flower nectar) and suffer no ill effects from drinking the sucrose water I put out from them. But if I took all the nectar from my honeysuckle vine, I might get a cup. In one year.

It seems logical to me that humans are not designed to eat more than very small amounts of sucrose. It certainly feels that way for me. And this observation is not because of all the news, etc. I've read in the past few years. This is based on observation of my body 40 years ago when I raced, ate a very clean diet of whole foods and was very in tune with all aspects of my body and diet.

Ben
Curious as to whether you observed this effect from consuming sugar while you were on the bike, riding intensely or racing?

I only ask because the normal thing is for there to be a very blunted insulin response when you are exercising intensely. This is because insulin is released when your body detects excess blood sugar in a scenario where it knows you need to store it (i.e. you are not using it rapidly). So a sugar crash secondary to insulin release would be very unusual while exercising at intensity. Which is why sugar consumed on the bike is (for most people) just so different than sugar off the bike- the insulin responses in those two scenarios (racing vs burning fuel slowly when you're inactive or exercising lightly) are markedly different.

Which is not to say that any given individual might not be an outlier. But I was just curious to know if you are talking about sugar on the bike?
Old 07-26-16, 07:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by Heathpack
Curious as to whether you observed this effect from consuming sugar while you were on the bike, riding intensely or racing?

I only ask because the normal thing is for there to be a very blunted insulin response when you are exercising intensely. This is because insulin is released when your body detects excess blood sugar in a scenario where it knows you need to store it (i.e. you are not using it rapidly). So a sugar crash secondary to insulin release would be very unusual while exercising at intensity. Which is why sugar consumed on the bike is (for most people) just so different than sugar off the bike- the insulin responses in those two scenarios (racing vs burning fuel slowly when you're inactive or exercising lightly) are markedly different.

Which is not to say that any given individual might not be an outlier. But I was just curious to know if you are talking about sugar on the bike?
I'm afraid I can't answer that one. This observation was made in the spring of my best racing year. That summer I stayed away from sucrose and caffeine entirely except as a drug to get me home on very long and hard rides, ie as a pure drug. My tolerance to both was so low that a cup of coffee with 2 packages of sugar was good for 50 miles. I paid for those rides, but whether it was the "drugs" or 175 miles solo including climbing NH's Pack Monadnock on a 42-19, who knows? Two months later was my head injury rendering my RAM (my already random access memory) considerably more random.

At the time of my racing, I knew little of insulin and its/the body's response to sugars. I did no experiments doing the same ride with and without sucrose or sucrose with or without riding hard. The tendency for me to build both tolerance and addiction for sucrose is something that I have seen clearly so I just make it a point to stay away (except I am a sucker for peanut M & Ms when I shop and often buy the little bag at the checkout stand. Gone before I get home.) I do buy 10 pound bags of the pure stuff but it all goes to my little hummers. (In not much over a year.)

Ben
Old 07-26-16, 07:17 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My little hummingbirds eat large amounts of I suspect nearly pure sucrose (flower nectar) and suffer no ill effects from drinking the sucrose water I put out from them. But if I took all the nectar from my honeysuckle vine, I might get a cup. In one year.
A large part of hummingbird's diet is bugs, they couldn't survive on sugar alone and in fact are very good at hunting insects. Humans don't have quite the metabolic rate of a hummingbird, and thus have a much lower threshold for sugar tolerance.
Old 07-26-16, 07:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarb

Yes, and if not salt or sugar or gluten, then it must be dairy or eggs or more specifically egg yolks that are the evil villains.
Old 07-26-16, 09:51 PM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by sprince
A large part of hummingbird's diet is bugs, they couldn't survive on sugar alone and in fact are very good at hunting insects. Humans don't have quite the metabolic rate of a hummingbird, and thus have a much lower threshold for sugar tolerance.
True, but on the winter cold days, they drink their body weight in pure sugar in a day. (Two birds will drain most of my 3 feeders totaling 8 oz of sugar water in about 3 days. They weigh ~3 grams each. The sugar water is mixed up 1 part sugar to 4 parts water by volume. I have to heat it to close to boiling to dissolve that much sugar. I found a dead Anna's hummingbird in the bike lane a couple of springs ago. Picked it up. A beautiful male with a gorgeous burgundy throat, very similar to my wintering male. It weighed nothing.)

I wonder what bugs they find when it is in the 20s and the feeders freeze.

Ben
Old 07-26-16, 10:25 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
There's that tricky catch phrase, "normal levels." What's that mean? ......
Bingo! Nothing wrong with any and probability all the little extras. Sugar, booze, dairy, fatty crap, etc.. But (thank God) so many people now have access to so much food. Unfortunately, they just tend to make many repeated wrong choices.
Old 07-27-16, 08:33 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yes, and if not salt or sugar or gluten, then it must be dairy or eggs or more specifically egg yolks that are the evil villains.
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Bingo! Nothing wrong with any and probability all the little extras. Sugar, booze, dairy, fatty crap, etc.. But (thank God) so many people now have access to so much food. Unfortunately, they just tend to make many repeated wrong choices.

Interesting information regarding poultry and prostate cancer that has some validity and unknown by many men. Just depends on how much or how little one is willing to avail one's self of product consumption along with information acceptance. A little bit CAN be harmful, it's just to what degree.

Choline and Prostate Cancer - Medella Optimal Health
Old 07-27-16, 08:53 AM
OBoile

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Interesting information regarding poultry and prostate cancer that has some validity and unknown by many men. Just depends on how much or how little one is willing to avail one's self of product consumption along with information acceptance. A little bit CAN be harmful, it's just to what degree.

Choline and Prostate Cancer - Medella Optimal Health
Choline also has several health benefits and most people don't get enough. It certainly isn't harmful to the general peopulation.
Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health
Old 07-27-16, 09:25 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Interesting information regarding poultry and prostate cancer that has some validity and unknown by many men...... A little bit CAN be harmful, it's just to what degree.
It's interesting.... that in the agricultural (rural) areas... people often have their own ideas as to what health risks are recognized by the products biggest users.

If your a chicken farmer you may be concerned with Histoplasmosis. If you raise beef, hay lung might be a concern. A pig farmer (I knew) swore a connection with pork consumption and Lupus. A man (I knew) that practiced many old farming and preserving methods died from stomach cancer. Although rare in America... a big killer globally.

Life itself is fatal. I think the big killers are obvious. Smoking, drinking, reckless behavior, war and murder.
Old 07-27-16, 10:20 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Choline also has several health benefits and most people don't get enough. It certainly isn't harmful to the general peopulation.
Choline: An Essential Nutrient for Public Health

Yes, Choline IS needed; however, one must balance if indeed there can be a very negative effect.

p.s.-surviving PCa - prostate cancer - every day for the rest of my life and who knows what else**********?
Old 07-27-16, 10:37 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
I guess the main problem with sugar is that it's seperated from stuff it belongs to and put into stuff it doesn't belong in, because it masks poor flavours and your tastebuds get used to it and want more of it.
Old 07-27-16, 12:52 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
I guess the main problem with sugar is that it's seperated from stuff it belongs to and put into stuff it doesn't belong in, because it masks poor flavours and your tastebuds get used to it and want more of it.
My apple I am currently has sugar injected into it?
Old 07-27-16, 01:02 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This paragraph is taken directly out of Hammer Nutrition:

We believe that fructose, sucrose, glucose, and other simple sugars (mono-and disaccharides) are poor carbohydrate sources for fueling your body during exercise. Also for optimal health you should restrict your intake of these simple sugars

For endurance athletes, the primary problem with fuels containing simple sugars is that they must be mixed in weal 6-8% solutions in order to match body fluid osmolality parameters( 280-303 mOsm) and thus be digested with any efficiency. Unfortunately, solutions mixed and consumed at this concentration only provide, at the most, about 100 calories per hour, inadequate for maintaining energy production on a hourly basis for most athletes. Using 6-8% solution to obtain adequate calories means your fluid intake becomes so high that it causes discomfort and bloating, and you may possibly overhydrate to point of fluid intoxication.

You can't make a double or triple strength mixture from a simple sugar-based carbohydrate fuel in hopes of obtaining adequate calories because the concentration of that mixture, now far beyond the 6-8% mark, will remain in your stomach until sufficiently diluted, which may cause substantial stomach distress. You can drink more fluids in hopes of self diluting the overly concentrated mixture, but remember that you'll increase the risk of overhydration. However, if you don't dilute with more water and electrolytes, your body will recruit these from other areas that critically need them and divert them to digestive system to deal with the concentrated simple sugar mix. This can result in a variety of stomach-related distresses, not to mention increased cramping potential.

The bottom line is that simple sugar-based drinks or gels have to be mixed and consumed at a very dilute and calorically weak concentrations in order to be digested with any efficiency. A simple sugar-based product used at a properly mixed concentrations cannot provide adequate calories to sustain energy production. Any way you look at it, fuels containing simple sugars are inefficient and therefore not recommended during prolonged exercise.

Complex carbohydrates ( polysaccharides) are the best choice for endurance athletes, as they allow your digestive system to rapidly and efficiently process a greater volume of calories, providing steady energy. Unlike simple sugars, which match body osmolality at 6-8% solutions, complex carbohydrates match body fluid osmolality ate substantially more concentrated 15-18% solutions. Even at this seemingly high concentration, complex carbohydrates ( maltodextrins/glucose polymers) will empty the stomach at the same efficient rate as normal body fluids, providing up to three times more calories for energy production then simple sugar mixtures. This means that you can fulfill you caloric requirements without running the risk of overhydration or other stomach-related maladies.
What a crock of ****. The difference between malto and glucose absorption is minor, it only matters when you are consuming them at the maximal quantities(~400cal/hr)
Old 07-27-16, 01:18 PM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5999 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
My apple I am currently has sugar injected into it?
You can never be sure..... But it's not unlikely it has been bred to have more suger by itself to accomodate 'modern' taste.

But the main difference is that if you eat an apple you eat it with it's other contents, I've understood there's a mechanism that mitigates the effects on your body and is also the reason why fruit juice isn't as healthy for people with weight issues as eating whole fruit. If you buy any processed food, it's likely to contain added suger, whatever it is. Why put sugar in foods that traditionally didn't contain any?
Old 07-31-16, 11:26 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This paragraph is taken directly out of Hammer Nutrition:

We believe that fructose, sucrose, glucose, and other simple sugars (mono-and disaccharides) are poor carbohydrate sources for fueling your body during exercise. Also for optimal health you should restrict your intake of these simple sugars
Really? From Nutrition Facts on an unflavored Hammer Gel package:

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Water, Energy Smart® (Grape Juice, Rice Dextrin), Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (as a preservative), Salt, Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Alanine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Potassium Chloride.

Notice the 2nd most plentiful ingredient (disregarding water). I thought grape juice contains simple sugar, in particular, fructose. Silly me..
Old 07-31-16, 05:12 PM
sprince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by on the path
Really? From Nutrition Facts on an unflavored Hammer Gel package:

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Water, Energy Smart® (Grape Juice, Rice Dextrin), Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (as a preservative), Salt, Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Alanine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine), Potassium Chloride.

Notice the 2nd most plentiful ingredient (disregarding water). I thought grape juice contains simple sugar, in particular, fructose. Silly me..
Note the last ingredient, aka "third drug in the 'three drug cocktail' for executions by lethal injection". Nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.