Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Seasucker vaccum mounted Bike rack

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Seasucker vaccum mounted Bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 08:45 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,993 Times in 1,778 Posts
LOL, If you can afford the Porsche then get something more practical to haul the bikes on.

I mean I've got my Bimmer for when I want to "drive" but the F-150 does just fine for hauling the bikes. Can't image every wanting to put bikes on my good car, too many things to go wrong.

I even hate using a trunk rack on my WRX and only do that when I absolutely cannot haul them with the truck for some reason.

Oh, and nice Porsche!
Old 02-27-12, 08:49 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have no first hand experience using them. However, I did have a lengthy discussion with the seller in a bike show about them. After examining the cups, it turns out they are the same cups and hardware used on cups used for lifting glasses and such rated at over 600 Lb each. If you distribute the grip over 3 and account for drag and such, they are actually way overkill for this application. actually, even one is overkill. I almost bought a set for a dual for my Prius (yes, I know it is not a Porsche!), but ended up just using the rack I already had.
Old 02-27-12, 11:48 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
I have no first hand experience using them. However, I did have a lengthy discussion with the seller in a bike show about them. After examining the cups, it turns out they are the same cups and hardware used on cups used for lifting glasses and such rated at over 600 Lb each. If you distribute the grip over 3 and account for drag and such, they are actually way overkill for this application. actually, even one is overkill. I almost bought a set for a dual for my Prius (yes, I know it is not a Porsche!), but ended up just using the rack I already had.
what kind of rack are you using on your prius?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-28-12, 06:15 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Youtube video is interesting. However, not convincing enough to not want to stow the bike inside the car. I rarely take bikes on a rack because I am always fearful that somewhere along the way the bike will come off at highway speed and cause multiple drivers to crash and die. If it's inside a car I know that it cannot crash into someone directly behind me. Additionally, getting a scratch on my luxury sports car would really, really bum me out. Would rather take it in my beater-mobile.
Old 02-28-12, 06:34 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HOT DAMN!!! Beautiful car! Drive it like you stole it and keep it far away from any bike rack......... Seriously. I wouldn' put any rack on that car.
Old 02-28-12, 07:10 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I'd go down to one of those "We tote the note" car places and get a used pickup or minivan for a grand or two. Use it for bike hauling and Sunday morning trash picking runs. It'll pay for itself in peace of mind regarding the Porsche's paint job.
Old 02-28-12, 07:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Drag
You so suck! And, PLEASE DO NOT install a hitch on that. Please.
If I go the hitch route it will be a Willwood hitch, witch mounts behind the license plate, and is essentially hidden when not in use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willwoo...in/photostream

The guy has been designing hitches for Porsches for a number of years for utility trailers to tow wheels to the track, and for bike racks.

Unfortunately, I'd be his prototype for the 991.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-28-12, 07:30 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, If you can afford the Porsche then get something more practical to haul the bikes on.
I've got something practical (and still relatively fun to drive) to haul bikes with.

However, I want to be able to take the 911 on trips where I'm going to ride. For example, North Georgia, where the Six Gap century is held, has some wonderful twisty roads. It would be nice to take advantage of them in the car and on the bike in the same trip.
Old 02-28-12, 07:36 AM
tardman91

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If I go the hitch route it will be a Willwood hitch, witch mounts behind the license plate, and is essentially hidden when not in use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/willwoo...in/photostream

The guy has been designing hitches for Porsches for a number of years for utility trailers to tow wheels to the track, and for bike racks.

Unfortunately, I'd be his prototype for the 991.
I'd do this. Looks pretty slick.
Old 02-28-12, 08:14 AM
Dfarlow
Flintstone In Training

Bikes: 2021 Fuji Track Elite; 2015 Cipollini RB800; 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Ltd; 2013 Firefly Ti

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a McLaren on a new Porsche taken from LBS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Seasucker 2.jpg (97.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 02-28-12, 08:40 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Allez Comp, 2001 Kona Stuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfarlow
Here's a McLaren on a new Porsche taken from LBS.
I think I'm just going to sit here for a few minutes and think about what it would be like to have that much money.
Old 02-28-12, 08:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by antmeeks
I think I'm just going to sit here for a few minutes and think about what it would be like to have that much money.
The brakes on the car ( the yellow calipers = ceramic brake discs) cost close to what the bike does.
Old 02-28-12, 09:01 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The brakes on the car ( the yellow calipers = ceramic brake discs) cost close to what the bike does.
Yeah, rub it in, why don't you?
Old 02-28-12, 09:09 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by antmeeks
Yeah, rub it in, why don't you?
on the GT in the pic, not on my car.
Old 02-28-12, 09:15 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm..Seriously just decided a couple weeks ago not to buy a Viper GTS because I couldn't figure out a way to carry a bike with it. Guess time to search for another one to buy, because this would totally work!
Old 02-28-12, 09:25 AM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
I've got something practical (and still relatively fun to drive) to haul bikes with.

However, I want to be able to take the 911 on trips where I'm going to ride. For example, North Georgia, where the Six Gap century is held, has some wonderful twisty roads. It would be nice to take advantage of them in the car and on the bike in the same trip.
I completely agree with you on this. My toy car is "only" a 2001 Miata that I bought in '06. Last spring, I finally got a Saris Bones rack because I hated having to drive my old Subie wagon on gorgeous blue-sky days just to be able to take the bike along.
Old 02-28-12, 09:32 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
this. Get an old cheap beater for carrying the bikes. It might end up costing less than the rack/hitch for the Porsche.
Old 02-28-12, 09:33 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
I completely agree with you on this. My toy car is "only" a 2001 Miata that I bought in '06. Last spring, I finally got a Saris Bones rack because I hated having to drive my old Subie wagon on gorgeous blue-sky days just to be able to take the bike along.
Ohhh! Hey, you & I need to talk! One of my cars is a '91 Miata BRG SE, and I've been desperate to find a good method of transporting the bike on it... Tell me more about this Saris Bones rack...
Old 02-28-12, 10:24 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
why does everyone seem so anti hitch mount racks? Instead of getting the 2 inch receiver you can get a 1.25, which is pretty low profile.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-28-12, 10:29 AM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Figure out a way to carry bikes on the 991. It really is good to have the option of taking the bikes on road trips with the fun car. On occasion, I've actually had two bikes and two pairs of skis on the 911. Those are good trips :-).

In the end, it's only metal, paint, and glass. Anything damaged can be repaired.

edit: Plus, it's good to have a way to take your track tires/wheels with you on those special weekends!
Old 02-28-12, 10:43 AM
antmeeks
Maud Magnet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I'm changin' my mind... After researching & scrutinizing the SeaSucker posted by the OP, I'm thinking that's the best option.
Old 02-28-12, 10:59 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would trust the technology having no first-hand experience, but sheet metal is getting so thin these days that I think you would have to be careful where the cups were mounted. The skin on my Chevy truck is like eggshells. I wouldn't want the skin under/around the cup flexing, not because it will loosen, but due to the potential for eventual cracking of the paint. Of course a single doesn't weigh very much and I doubt that the downward aero-induced force on the rear wheel at 80 mph is all that great.
Old 02-28-12, 11:13 AM
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast

Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those sexy curves of the 991 take care of the thin metal concern... That skin is very strong.
Old 02-28-12, 12:46 PM
ttusomeone

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
sheet metal is getting so thin these days that I think you would have to be careful where the cups were mounted.
My wife drives a Honda Fit and the roof metal is pretty flexible on it as well. Whenever I mount the Seasuckers on her car, I put the section where the fork mounts on the front of the car where two of the cups are on her windshield and the other is on the roof close to the seam. For the rear wheel, I mount that cup close to the seam also to limit flex. I haven't seen any problems doing it this way.
Old 02-28-12, 01:40 PM
Rob13

Bikes: 2013 Specialized S Works SL4 Keyline Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I rather have something that is theft proof. Seems so easy to take off, I wouldnt feel safe, going to the bathroom at a gas station on a long trip, or eating at a restaurant without worrying about my bike. Get something like this...at least you have the ability to lock it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.