Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Catch all Professional Cycling Chat (Possible Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 12:46 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Lol I've been holding off coming in here since I was late catching up on Amstel Gold & Fleche Wallone - didn't want the heated discussion of those results to spoil it for me.

Instead, it's all gravel "races" and & Lance up in here... does anyone watch that pro bike racing anymore?
Harsh...to be fair the cobbles of Paris Roubaix are just as gimmicky as BWR; both are about 70% road with another element (cobbles / dirt) mixed in.

Of course I watch pro cycling; the problem is I usually get a 'copy' a few days later so by then its already old news.

I watch a ton of amateur videos as well, I never thought it would come to this point but I probably watch more youtube than actual TV these days.
Old 04-20-18, 01:15 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I read Armstrong settled his lawsuit with the federal government for $5M, plus he has to pay Floyd Landis's $1.65M in legal fees.

Couple of thoughts:
1. Armstrong was a prick, but this lawsuit was BS. USPS got more than it's money's worth out of him. They may have technically been "defrauded" because he doped to win his titles, but it brought them a ton of exposure, which they might not have gotten had he not been doping.
2. Floyd is as bad as Armstrong. I wonder if he is going to use that $1.65M to repay all the people who kicked in for his defense fund before he admitted to doping?
Landis gets like 25% of the 5M. The 1.65M just goes to the lawyers.
Old 04-20-18, 01:43 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol I've been holding off coming in here since I was late catching up on Amstel Gold & Fleche Wallone - didn't want the heated discussion of those results to spoil it for me.

Instead, it's all gravel "races" and & Lance up in here... does anyone watch that pro bike racing anymore?
I've enjoyed the recent classics, although it's hard to stay spoiler free with all the cycling-related stuff that shows up in my social media feeds.

I thought Amstel Gold was an exciting race, lots of attacks and counter attacks, peloton was blown apart sooner than I would have expected. Would have like to see Sagan pull off the win there, but gotta give it to Astana for a well executed race.

FLeche Wallone didn't deliver much excitement. Lots of teams trying to make something happen before the finishing climb, without success.. So it still came down to that last climb, but I was at least glad to see somebody other than Valverde win.
Old 04-20-18, 03:07 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
I thought Amstel Gold was an exciting race, lots of attacks and counter attacks, peloton was blown apart sooner than I would have expected. Would have like to see Sagan pull off the win there, but gotta give it to Astana for a well executed race.

FLeche Wallone didn't deliver much excitement. Lots of teams trying to make something happen before the finishing climb, without success.. So it still came down to that last climb, but I was at least glad to see somebody other than Valverde win.
Agreed on both counts - except for some reason I like to see Sagan actually lose now and then. Makes him seem a little more human, and less of a doper.

my race videos
Old 05-01-18, 12:54 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I have a hard time understanding the relative strengths of cyclists on the domestic scene. For example, why couldn't Daniel Holloway be a pro world tour team? Is he just not at that level? Not built for longer races? What about someone like Corey Williams? What is the difference between his level and someone like Caleb Ewan?
Old 05-01-18, 01:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Corey's brother (Justin) is more talented and has raced in Europe
Old 05-01-18, 01:42 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Radish_legs
I have a hard time understanding the relative strengths of cyclists on the domestic scene. For example, why couldn't Daniel Holloway be a pro world tour team? Is he just not at that level? Not built for longer races? What about someone like Corey Williams? What is the difference between his level and someone like Caleb Ewan?
This country has very few advocates so unless you are a world beater like Brandon McNulty its just hard to get signed. Crit racing is different and doesn't impress World Tour Teams so those guys have to get on teams like Hincapie, Rally, or UHC and win.

The big thing is since this is a European sport, If you're young and good, no ones going to fly out here to sign you when there are 20 dudes that can do the same thing. We do the same thing with Euro baseball players; if you want to be a pro go to where the pros are.
Old 05-01-18, 10:25 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I can't find the comment now, but Chris Tolley ( Real good sprinter for the Elbowz team and races for the Aventon fixed gear team) got asked this once. His response was that he has the watts to sprint against the world tour (seriously, he has some crazy numbers), but there is no way in hell he could do it after 6 hours in the saddle.
Old 05-02-18, 12:15 PM
furiousferret

One of the biggest stage races is the world is about to start and we get this:

Still up in the air if its going to go.
Old 05-02-18, 12:17 PM
furiousferret

...and its cancelled.
Old 05-02-18, 12:37 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
If only Andy had signed up for it...

Demain, on roule!
Old 05-02-18, 12:49 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
wow, that's a big deal
Old 05-02-18, 02:52 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
...and its cancelled.
"just" the TT stage though, right?
Old 05-02-18, 03:55 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by hack
"just" the TT stage though, right?
Yeah, that's up at 8,000 feet, it drops back down the hill for Stages 2--5 we're its going to be in the 90's.
Old 05-04-18, 08:55 AM
mattm
**** that

Holloway was in Europe as a jr - with Taylor Phinney in fact.

I can only assume he just doesn’t do well at or doesn’t like the style of racing they do on Europe - stage races. Going Pro Tour is all about being a GC rider or domestique to support a GC rider.
Old 05-04-18, 09:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Holloway has won at the world level on the track. He is the current Omnium World Champion.
Old 05-04-18, 04:33 PM
Philitup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone. I couldn't seem to find a forum for TT bike questions... so here I am. Here is the dilemma: I bought a 2011 S Works Shiv TT frame for a steal. The catch? It was missing the original fork. Didn't think it would be a major problem, but I was wrong. This particular Shiv uses a tapered headtube 1" to 1 1/8". As best I can tell, it is the only bike in existence with that exact taper size. I have spoken with Specialized on the phone multiple times, and conferred with my local Specialized dealer. They don't provide that fork through warranty anymore, and don't seem to have any left in their warehouses. I've been unsuccessful trying to find that fork online anywhere. My most recent attempt was to try and convert a 1" straight steerer fork to fit the frame, but I'm not sure yet if that is going to work out. So I'm here to ask if anyone somehow magically has that fork available somewhere, or if any of you have a better idea where to find one? Or is there another solution to this problem? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-04-18, 07:34 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Philitup
Hi everyone. I couldn't seem to find a forum for TT bike questions... so here I am. Here is the dilemma: I bought a 2011 S Works Shiv TT frame for a steal. The catch? It was missing the original fork. Didn't think it would be a major problem, but I was wrong. This particular Shiv uses a tapered headtube 1" to 1 1/8". As best I can tell, it is the only bike in existence with that exact taper size. I have spoken with Specialized on the phone multiple times, and conferred with my local Specialized dealer. They don't provide that fork through warranty anymore, and don't seem to have any left in their warehouses. I've been unsuccessful trying to find that fork online anywhere. My most recent attempt was to try and convert a 1" straight steerer fork to fit the frame, but I'm not sure yet if that is going to work out. So I'm here to ask if anyone somehow magically has that fork available somewhere, or if any of you have a better idea where to find one? Or is there another solution to this problem? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-Specia...ty!95630!US!-1
Old 05-04-18, 08:28 PM
Philitup

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've actually looked at that exact fork multiple times. The shape of the fork crown is a completely different design from the 2011 model. It wouldn't fit. I was going to post a picture of the 2011 frame for reference, but BF won't let me yet because I'm a new user.
Old 05-04-18, 08:53 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Holloway raced in Europe for Gamin, I think? And he's won a world cup on the track, so he's certainly got some pedigree.

But he does mostly crits in the U.S.

And crits have very little to do with professional Euro road racing.
Old 05-05-18, 06:16 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Holloway raced in Europe for Gamin, I think? And he's won a world cup on the track, so he's certainly got some pedigree.

But he does mostly crits in the U.S.

And crits have very little to do with professional Euro road racing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Holloway_(cyclist)

I think he was on the Garmin development team, but he mainly did track stuff.
Old 05-06-18, 08:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Woooo that Giro finish today!!

Don't try to shut the door on Viviani. Ever.

my race videos
Old 05-07-18, 08:22 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holloway was in Europe as a jr - with Taylor Phinney in fact.

I can only assume he just doesn’t do well at or doesn’t like the style of racing they do on Europe - stage races. Going Pro Tour is all about being a GC rider or domestique to support a GC rider.
Quick Step disagrees!
Old 05-07-18, 06:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by MDcatV
Quick Step disagrees!
Ha ha true.

my race videos
Old 05-20-18, 09:29 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Most GTs are pretty rad, but this Giro is excellent in particular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.