Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Covered Bridge Metric - Lancaster, PA

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Covered Bridge Metric - Lancaster, PA

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-06, 08:09 PM
TrekDen
Double Naught Spy

Bikes: 2010 Scott CR1 Comp, 2013 Scott Scale 960 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just booked a room at The Quality Inn & Suites, so it seems some of us may meet the night before the event.
Old 07-09-06, 07:50 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bibi
Mirona -- I'm working on my hills in all this awful heat. Save your bungie cord for someone else.
Alright then, no walking hills!

Or else!
Old 07-10-06, 09:42 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excuse me, grasshopper. But when did you ever see me walk a hill?

Don't get my speed confused with walking -- walkers pass me all the time and might be insulted by your comment.

You bringing that camera? You working on your quick-draw?
Old 07-10-06, 11:49 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Are you suggesting we won't be lally-gagging around and playing with dogs this year?
Old 07-11-06, 03:57 AM
RacerMike
Huge Member

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got their mailer for the event and there was a Turkey Hill logo on it, although no mention of ice cream at the finish. We can still hope....

Mike
Old 07-11-06, 07:03 AM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course we will be doing some lolly-gagging. . . wouldn't be nearly as much fun if we didn't. At this point there will be a group of 6 or so riding buddies joining us this year, and they're good for some great roadside chatting.

Bibi, I can absolutely attest to the fact that there was NO hill-walking last year. None at all. We didn't even slow down for the hose lady. But we did stop for the lemonade . . . at the TOP of the hill

Can I share with you guys?. . . last night I bumped up to the B ride. . . 17 avg for 35 miles. I'm feeling kinda proud, kinda sore, and kinda tired, yet pretty great. It was a nice increase for me, and a goal I've been looking at for a while.

And I'm looking forward to our 12-13 avg in Lancaster!

Beth

Last edited by RoadToNowhere; 07-12-06 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 07:06 AM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerMike
I got their mailer for the event and there was a Turkey Hill logo on it, although no mention of ice cream at the finish. We can still hope....

Mike
. . . then there will most certainly be ice cream and iced tea!
Old 07-11-06, 07:08 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Don't get my speed confused with walking -- walkers pass me all the time and might be insulted by your comment.

You bringing that camera? You working on your quick-draw?
Huh? How did I get dragged into this? I do think I saw you walk up the hill to the lunch spot though.
Old 07-11-06, 07:09 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by RoadToNowhere
. . . then there will most certainly be ice cream and iced tea!
God I am totally addicted to their diet iced green tee with honey. MAN that stuff is good.
Old 07-11-06, 07:13 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need to get into some serious indoor training soon. Since Jess now has a job, we usually don't get home in time to ride, and we just had the past week + 2 weekends off (vacation) and NEXT weekend will also be off. I rode yesterday and felt like absolute crap. I think I had more miles in the first week of May than I've had in all of June + July combined.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-11-06, 07:15 AM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
I need to get into some serious indoor training soon. Since Jess now has a job, we usually don't get home in time to ride, and we just had the past week + 2 weekends off (vacation) and NEXT weekend will also be off. I rode yesterday and felt like absolute crap. I think I had more miles in the first week of May than I've had in all of June + July combined.

Same here.

-D
Old 07-11-06, 07:16 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by cydewaze
Tell me about it man...with all of this rain plus the wife starting a new job I have had VERY little riding time. Had the whole week off last week and did a total of 55 miles, between the rian and apointments...man that sucked. Just picked up my Rush 800 and Ana is in CT doing training for 2 weeks so I wont even be able to ride it until she gets back. The only reason I had decent miles in June was my ride from Pitt to DC.
Old 07-11-06, 07:46 AM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Tell me about it man...with all of this rain plus the wife starting a new job I have had VERY little riding time. Had the whole week off last week and did a total of 55 miles, between the rian and apointments...man that sucked. Just picked up my Rush 800 and Ana is in CT doing training for 2 weeks so I wont even be able to ride it until she gets back. The only reason I had decent miles in June was my ride from Pitt to DC.
C&O canal?

I know there is some trail that you can take from Pitt that hooks up with it (or at least I thought I heard that). I have wanted to head up there and ride back someday.

-D
Old 07-11-06, 07:53 AM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey,

Does anyone know how the Jerseys run size wise? I was going to order one with my registration but I am generally a L or XL depending on if they run small or not.

-D
Old 07-11-06, 08:07 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ahem
Old 07-11-06, 08:23 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by derath
C&O canal?

I know there is some trail that you can take from Pitt that hooks up with it (or at least I thought I heard that). I have wanted to head up there and ride back someday.

-D
Yes we took the Allegheny river passage form Pitt to Cumberland where it then turns into the C&O canal tow path trail. A new guy just started here at my work who apparently did the same trip about 2 weeks before I did it. The C&O path is great for the most part...there is a bit between just past great falls out to about mile 43 that gets pretty muddy but once you get past that it is pretty much smooth sailing. The Big Savage Tunnel is worth the trip IMO, you underground for 3/4 of a mile.
Old 07-11-06, 08:23 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by mirona
Ahem
Pfft...owned.
Old 07-11-06, 08:27 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirona
Ahem
I remember that. That hill was so easy to ride up, I assumed she'd had a mechanical.

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 07-11-06, 08:36 AM
derath

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Yes we took the Allegheny river passage form Pitt to Cumberland where it then turns into the C&O canal tow path trail. A new guy just started here at my work who apparently did the same trip about 2 weeks before I did it. The C&O path is great for the most part...there is a bit between just past great falls out to about mile 43 that gets pretty muddy but once you get past that it is pretty much smooth sailing. The Big Savage Tunnel is worth the trip IMO, you underground for 3/4 of a mile.

Yea I have done the C&O from Harpers Ferry down to DC. (actually a loop from Westminster to Harpers ferry, down to DC and back). Someday I will have the time to do the whole thing.

-D
Old 07-11-06, 09:13 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by RoadToNowhere
Of course we will be doing some lolly-gagging. . . wouldn't be nearly as much fun if we didn't. At this point I have a group of 6 or so riding buddies joining us this year, and they're good for some great roadside chatting.
We're gonna have a full on BF peloton! I can already see it now...

[cue Phil Ligget] and there goes Cydewaze and Grasschopper off the front
[Paul Sherwin] They're really riding well today Phil; Cydewaze was in the breakaway yesterday too; he's really found his form
[Phil] well look at this, RoadToNowhere is bridging across. She shot out of the group like a cannonball, now didn't she. We'll take a break....

Can I share with you guys?. . . last night I bumped up to the B ride. . . 17.2 avg for 35 miles. I'm feeling kinda proud, kinda sore, and kinda tired, yet pretty great. It was a nice increase for me, and a goal I've been looking at for a while.
WHOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Old 07-11-06, 09:53 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cydewaze will be in no breakaways. I'm riding like crapola.

Old 07-11-06, 10:31 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I need a nice name like breakaway to describe the inverse... choosing to let the peloton ride into the distance without me. That has been my pattern on my two organized rides so far.

Everyone is talking about a leisurely 12 or 13 mph, and I did the Tour de Cure at about 11... I am hoping that I can pick up a little speed so I can actually ride with a group for once...

If I am there, and I can keep up, I'll let 2 or 3 of you draft behind me on the flats if you tow me on a climb or two.

I have noticed that I don't have to drop into my granny gear quite as easily now, but I still have to for anything much higher than a speed bump.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-11-06, 11:09 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgregory57
I have noticed that I don't have to drop into my granny gear quite as easily now, but I still have to for anything much higher than a speed bump.
You shouldn't have any problem on the Lancaster ride. I don't remember very many actual hills. Maybe one or two.

Old 07-11-06, 11:10 AM
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist

Bikes: 2021 TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Don't leave me out of the mix. lol I intend to ride with a group and have fun. Don't really care how fast or slow we go, but on the hills....you're on your own. ICe cream and lemonade stops??? This trip and ride is sounding better all the time. And my boss just approved my vacation day the Monday after. Woo Whoo!
Old 07-11-06, 11:27 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

there is one hill, right before the lunch stop, but other than that, it's quite a nice ride and everyone is in great spirits. CAN'T WAIT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.