Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 06:22 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Looks great. What wax did you use? Thanks
Lemon Pledge
Old 04-15-24, 06:42 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 406 Posts
Not so much wrenching, but a big day. Rights of spring. Wrenching this winter involved two big projects. Frame up rebuild of my ShopSmith MkV and troubleshooting and fix of a Honda tracked snowblower. Both projects looked pretty intimidating with parts and fasteners all over they place with great uncertainty on success. But both were a success, leaving the shop/machine room a mess. So yesterday was the first day mowing grass for the season, straightening out the machine room then bringing the "good bikes" down from the loft. Oh, what joy to see the line up ready to play in the warm air.

Schwinn Voyageur, Raleigh Professional, Nishiki International, Crescent Pepita, Fuji TSIII and my "Ersatz Gran Prix". And Toro commercial mower. Nice line up. Usually the Gran Prix would go back up into the loft for the summer but I may take that to ride in New Hampshire this year. I could almost hear them arguing: "me first! NO, me first! Scab! Me FIRST"
Likes For Prowler:
Old 04-15-24, 08:55 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1614 Post(s)
Liked 2,599 Times in 1,228 Posts
Reversed another bottom bracket on a garbage save. Always makes me wonder how much trouble the last guy had putting that in.
Old 04-15-24, 09:22 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
Been testing my new "gravel" build. Needs some slight adjustment and it should be good to go for the season. Mostly built from disgarded parts i found at work, with the tires being the most expensive part by far. Friction shifting a 9 speed is suprsingly decent.

Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 04-15-24, 11:46 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
for the last few weeks I have been repairing water damage on my 1965 Shasta Compact travel trailer.

When I bought it 14 years ago it needed substantial work done to it. When I was done I had completely disassembled it down to the trailer frame and completely rebuilt it, this time with a custom interior. I did the wood framing first , followed by re installing the original (repainted) exterior alluminum sheathing, door, and windows, and resealing the roof vent and the molding covering the joint between the rooof and walls.

In a reverse from how it was originally built, I installed the interior paneling last, then the cabinetry. This allowed me to do all the rot repair, consisting reframing a portion of the roof and the wall over the door, from the inside.

I am now iin the final stage of replacing the trim that hides the joints in the plywood paneling.

In order to do all this I had to move most of my tools and "junk" from my 4x8 work table so I could cut paneling and repaint it .

Now that I am about finished I can re junkify my garage and get back to restoring funky old bicycles.

I have enjoyed my trailer for many years now, taking it to Burning Man every year since 2016 and will do so again this year.
I will be working again at the event with the Gate, Perimeter, and Exodus crew at Gate, Apex, and probably Airport, working mostly Build week.

Hopefully some of you will make it to the event. If you do, come on by the Black Hole Bar for a drink. I go by 'Wrecking Ball' at the event.
Likes For capnjonny:
Old 04-15-24, 12:26 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 143 Posts
On the home stretch for one project. So I decided to check a few things for the next bike project. I checked the frame with a string. It’s straight. I swapped out an axle spacer to fit the dropout of this bike. Looks like I get to learn all about wheel dish. I know what it is but I have zero experience.

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 04-15-24, 02:59 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by geeteeiii
Been testing my new "gravel" build. Needs some slight adjustment and it should be good to go for the season. Mostly built from disgarded parts i found at work, with the tires being the most expensive part by far. Friction shifting a 9 speed is suprsingly decent.

Did the Soviets use metric tubing? It looks suspiciously narrow. If I remember correctly, they used weird standards for some threads as well.
That's a very eclectic mix of parts.
Old 04-15-24, 03:19 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 119 Posts
Due to lack of conscious preventative maintenance on my part, it was Carburetor Rebuild Day for my pressure washer.

Carb, itself, was easy. Getting it off and back on the Tecumseh engine was a job.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-15-24, 04:02 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 2,241 Times in 1,052 Posts
A while back, one of my machinist friends made me a press plate which allows me to support the housing of a Phil Wood bottom bracket, while being able to press out the axle and bearing.
I figured it was about time to try it out. I recently picked up a Phil bb that is going to work for what I want it for. I was just going to remove the seals, clean and re-grease, but someone before me had made a mess of the seals, and I just happened to have the correct sized bearings in my parts stash, so I figured why not...

disassembled

reassembled
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 04-15-24, 06:27 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 874 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
On the home stretch for one project. So I decided to check a few things for the next bike project. I checked the frame with a string. It’s straight. I swapped out an axle spacer to fit the dropout of this bike. Looks like I get to learn all about wheel dish. I know what it is but I have zero experience.
I think Sheldon Brown's Wheel building guide is a good place to start. There will probably be a time soon when you will want a spoke tension meter..
Likes For daverup:
Old 04-15-24, 09:52 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Picking up parts tomorrow for a new project. I'm thinking for a 26" BMX style cruiser
Ukai 26 x 2.125 HE Blue anodized rims. Unknown hubs at this time.

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 04-15-24 at 09:58 PM.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 04-15-24, 10:13 PM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by VintageSteelEU
Did the Soviets use metric tubing? It looks suspiciously narrow. If I remember correctly, they used weird standards for some threads as well.
That's a very eclectic mix of parts.
Metric tubing yes, headset is 26mm and bottom bracket is BSA in metric.
Old 04-18-24, 04:11 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
Perhaps the first time that it was a headache to install a race face bottom bracket that I had to use adjustable pliers, lots of grease and a cloth. Not very pretty but I managed to get it done

Old 04-18-24, 06:23 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mistakes were made by getting rid of my old Troy-Bilt garden tractor last year yet keeping the tow behind lawn equipment. The zero turn mower, while the catsass in mowing the lawn in one third the time of the old tractor, has an engine between my arm and the levers to raise, lower, or stop the equipment. I can't reach it. So I threw together an extension handle using metal from my experience pile, hack saws, a drill press and stick welder. Right now, it looks like hell, but functional AND removable. A few more holes to drill to finish it then will post embarrassing pics.
Old 04-18-24, 06:47 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
Mistakes were made by getting rid of my old Troy-Bilt garden tractor last year yet keeping the tow behind lawn equipment. The zero turn mower, while the catsass in mowing the lawn in one third the time of the old tractor, has an engine between my arm and the levers to raise, lower, or stop the equipment. I can't reach it. So I threw together an extension handle using metal from my experience pile, hack saws, a drill press and stick welder. Right now, it looks like hell, but functional AND removable. A few more holes to drill to finish it then will post embarrassing pics.
It was for that reason that I removed the trailer hitch when I got my zero turn mower. I was never going to use it, plus it stuck out about 4 inches. You couldn't see the hitch from the seat, so eventually, I would have hit something with it while operating in tight quarters. I still have the tractor for other duties.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-18-24, 07:41 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Originally Posted by Pompiere
It was for that reason that I removed the trailer hitch when I got my zero turn mower. I was never going to use it, plus it stuck out about 4 inches. You couldn't see the hitch from the seat, so eventually, I would have hit something with it while operating in tight quarters. I still have the tractor for other duties.
I know what you mean about the hitch. I have to hit my ditches at an angle so I don't hang up on it.

Hind sight being 20/20, I should have held on to the tractor but it was 25 years old, came with the house when we bought it, and kept outside. It was a haven for wasps, the seat was always wet, and also doubled as a mosquito fogger. It was a PITA to get out when it would get stuck in a ditch, too. It would get stuck no matter how I approached the ditch.
Old 04-18-24, 11:33 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,851 Times in 836 Posts
This came in on a regular customer's bike yesterday at the co-op. Upon seeing it, I pronounced it "Honorable Mention - Practical Modern Sculpture". He thought it was a perfect description. Helped him replace it, and the front shifts smoothly again.

Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-18-24, 02:34 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Any idea how that happened?
Old 04-18-24, 02:50 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by sbrudno
Any idea how that happened?
Sometimes, it's best not to ask. But knowing the owner's skills as a raconteur, we'd probably get some sort of explanation involving an escaped lion or fending off crazed Taylor Swift fans.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-18-24, 03:04 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
This came in on a regular customer's bike yesterday at the co-op. Upon seeing it, I pronounced it "Honorable Mention - Practical Modern Sculpture". He thought it was a perfect description. Helped him replace it, and the front shifts smoothly again.

Looks like a fairly straightforward fix.The biggest challenge would be finding some spacer of a roughly correct size
Old 04-18-24, 04:03 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

I recently purchased two more Park Y spoke wrenches - the beefier new design seems less prone to failure than earlier versions.

The only minor drawback is the size numbers are very small. So I put durable colored tape (actually beaded retroreflective sheeting) on each size corresponding to the Park color code. I have a couple of these already tagged in such a manner, and it speeds the truing/building process considerably.

Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-18-24, 07:32 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,013 Times in 1,784 Posts
Finally got back to the Miele after work today. Cabled it up and put on a new 9 speed chain and pretty much dialed it in. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the bars wrapped and it will be pretty much ready to ride. Still need to get a couple of bottle cages for it though.

I went more modern with the idea that this will probably be one I ride in the rotation for a year or two and then pass on.

Old 04-18-24, 07:42 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
As supportive as my wife of 50 years is, she would KILL ME if I brought my bike into the living room!
Yours looks in repose in yours.
Old 04-18-24, 09:08 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Started piecing it together. I'm calling this an "economy build" BMX cruiser.
I plans: Remove the multi speed and install a single speed freewheel.
Change stem to 4 bolt BMX stem. Install higher rise BMX handlebars.
Change 3 ring crank to single.

Old 04-19-24, 09:52 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts

Old Schwinn Le Tour a lady friend of mine wanted a more upright posture. Got rid of the chrome wheels because of rust and simplified the shifting, nice ride.
Cleaned a bunch of garage dirt first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.