Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID an Aero frame? Serotta?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help ID an Aero frame? Serotta?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-20, 06:07 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by habes78023
Thanks! I think it's worth the price of admission, if nothing else, I'm learning a lot about Serotta now. I will be putting some miles on it around here, once I can get some shifters for it and some gears, 56/20 is not going to get me up any hills where I live, haha.

The sticker at the bottom looks like the american made decal that serotta used, and the decals do seem to match up to an early 80's bike. The one on the seattube is basically gone, but looks like one that had the yellow border around the Serotta name.
I think this is worth an email to Ben Serotta per the recommendations of the paceline folks. I don't think you are putting anyone out by doing that. He doesn't need to respond if he doesn't want to. If it's a one-off I assume he would be happy to see it and if it's a fake then that's an easy "no, it's not a Serotta" answer for him.
Old 11-02-20, 10:15 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
I think this is worth an email to Ben Serotta per the recommendations of the paceline folks. I don't think you are putting anyone out by doing that. He doesn't need to respond if he doesn't want to. If it's a one-off I assume he would be happy to see it and if it's a fake then that's an easy "no, it's not a Serotta" answer for him.
No reply as of yet. but I did email on a Friday to his benserotta.com contact page. I may try to reach out further to a few others the Paceline forum suggested.

Someone there did have a catalog from Serotta back then that mentions an Aero Pursuit model, but did not have pictures of it. However, there appears to be several of those bikes that come up from time to time, and have a very unique handlebar brazed to the top of the fork crown, way cool!

Otherwise, still no solid clues. I did take the fork out of the frame for a second time, and wiped away the old grease and dirt to check for a serial number more closely, but I don't see anything stamped besides the columbus logo. Larger pictures are in the Google Photo Album I made of the bike. Link here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4t54kri8AdNV4Tf9A

Old 11-02-20, 02:09 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
That is really fascinating. Thanks for the album link.

It looks like the "aero" head tube might be a bit of faring brazed onto a round tube. Is that just glare in the picture, or do you see that in person?
Old 11-02-20, 02:42 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Originally Posted by Andy_K
That is really fascinating. Thanks for the album link.

It looks like the "aero" head tube might be a bit of faring brazed onto a round tube. Is that just glare in the picture, or do you see that in person?
I really like finding frames like this but never quite had one this unique.

You are right about the headtube, it's a normal round headtube, looking down into it, round all the way. And the fairing that is brazed on has a sharper edge at the back than the teardrop down tube and seattubes do. The glare might make it look like there's a distinct change in tubing there but it's pretty smooth feeling in person, To me, it seems the fairing part is flatter than the teardrop oval tubes, which might account for the need for a sharper edge at the rear to make the shape.

Last edited by habes78023; 11-02-20 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 04:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Hard to believe that HT foil was not fully blended into the back of the HT.

Sure hope this is the real deal but find it odd that it is this "odd" in so many areas.
Old 11-02-20, 05:03 PM
habes78023 

Originally Posted by merziac
Hard to believe that HT foil was not fully blended into the back of the HT.

Sure hope this is the real deal but find it odd that it is this "odd" in so many areas.
I'm right with ya, haha. Don't get me wrong, this is a cool bike no matter how you cut it. But if it's a one off no serial number Serotta, I think it's overall coolness is probably higher.

Not sure where else to go with the clues I have without hearing from Ben Serotta or another builder who was in his shop early 80's. Or maybe a previous owner finds the thread and clues us in. I'm also projecting that the frame would have been memorable enough for people to recollect much about it. I know there's been thousands of bikes built by these builders.
Old 11-02-20, 05:36 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

I'm right with ya, haha. Don't get me wrong, this is a cool bike no matter how you cut it. But if it's a one off no serial number Serotta, I think it's overall coolness is probably higher.

Not sure where else to go with the clues I have without hearing from Ben Serotta or another builder who was in his shop early 80's. Or maybe a previous owner finds the thread and clues us in. I'm also projecting that the frame would have been memorable enough for people to recollect much about it. I know there's been thousands of bikes built by these builders.
Agreed,and these with so many "unique" details are usually lucky to survive any hamfisted work that befalls them along the way.

Hopefully Mr. Serotta will chime in.
Old 11-02-20, 06:01 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,182 Times in 1,184 Posts
This is an interesting bike, I would like to see some better close up of the seat post connections as well as the head tube.....is the seat post cracked.damaged?
In any event quite a very nice find
Best, Ben
Old 11-02-20, 06:53 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Thanks for the photos and the link to the album. The rear of the seat cluster looks a little less clunky in these other pictures.

It still looks like a genuine Serotta to me, I am still guessing it was for a trade show. But then again, did Serotta ever have to attend a bicycle trade show. People in the business know them. I don't think Murray, or Huffy found out about Serotta bikes by walking a trade show floor.

I mentioned above that I was at the bike show in NYC in about "82 and I think I would have remembered if Serotta was there, I had a Serotta at the time. So, maybe my trade show idea is not much of an factor. But Aero bikes were a factor at that time.

Perhaps it was built to show to potential clients like Murray, Huffy, 7-11.

Hopefully, you'll hear back soon. I am curious.
Old 11-03-20, 12:26 AM
habes78023 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
This is an interesting bike, I would like to see some better close up of the seat post connections as well as the head tube.....is the seat post cracked.damaged?
In any event quite a very nice find
Best, Ben
I'll try to get some pictures out in the daylight tomorrow of the seat post area and the headtube.

The seatpost, I'll take a picture of it too, I think merziac hit the nail on the head with the hamfisted comment there. There's two bolts that appear to be truly original for set screwing the seatpost in place, and the lower one appears to have really dug it's way into the seatpost in more than one spot.
Old 11-03-20, 12:33 AM
habes78023 

Velo Mule I do think the trade show idea is a strong possibility. You've got more firsthand Serotta knowledge than me! It does make sense to me that the Aero trend was worth at least making a frame to show off.. got to get an edge in business somehow, and you don't want to miss whatever the latest trends might be.

I could also see a customer wanting something specific and commissioning a frame like this. There's no doubt Serotta's shop could handle making a frame like this.

I could even see someone in Serotta's shop just being curious about this Shimano AX stuff and deciding to build one, because why not? They had the skills so might as well see what one is like.
Old 11-03-20, 04:43 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Following this for sure!
Old 11-03-20, 08:43 AM
515Cycling

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda, 1976 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 27 Posts
Subscribed. Looking forward to hearing what you have found!
Old 11-03-20, 01:00 PM
merziac

Velo Mule I do think the trade show idea is a strong possibility. You've got more firsthand Serotta knowledge than me! It does make sense to me that the Aero trend was worth at least making a frame to show off.. got to get an edge in business somehow, and you don't want to miss whatever the latest trends might be.

I could also see a customer wanting something specific and commissioning a frame like this. There's no doubt Serotta's shop could handle making a frame like this.

I could even see someone in Serotta's shop just being curious about this Shimano AX stuff and deciding to build one, because why not? They had the skills so might as well see what one is like.
You're not wrong about this, Shimano commissioned Merz to build a frame just for their components very early on even before there was any drastic aero tubing.

I believe it was for the big NYC show in 81.

He still ran the cables inside and used the shifter perch to great effect and later built a few with the serious tubing as well.

You can find them on his fb page if you dig for them in the big photo gallery.
Old 11-03-20, 04:03 PM
habes78023 

You're not wrong about this, Shimano commissioned Merz to build a frame just for their components very early on even before there was any drastic aero tubing.

I believe it was for the big NYC show in 81.

He still ran the cables inside and used the shifter perch to great effect and later built a few with the serious tubing as well.

You can find them on his fb page if you dig for them in the big photo gallery.
Well you knew I was going to do the digging: https://www. face book .com/merzbicycles/photos/1006912799324949 looks like facebook links are filtered out... so you'll have to copy all that and remove the spaces in facebook.

Very cool! There are several differences in this purple bike and the one he shared. But his comments on that photo do confirm just what you said. Very interesting.

Last edited by habes78023; 11-03-20 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 04:29 PM
merziac

Well you knew I was going to do the digging: https://www. face book .com/merzbicycles/photos/1006912799324949 looks like facebook links are filtered out... so you'll have to copy all that and remove the spaces in facebook.

Very cool! There are several differences in this purple bike and the one he shared. But his comments on that photo do confirm just what you said. Very interesting.
Very good, this was not the first show bike, the studio black and white photos are that one if you saw it.

He had worked with Shimano after Campy blew him off when he tried to help them, great article in BQ 62 about that.

Jim was in the middle of many things aside from mad skills building frames, racks and making some of the nicest most well built bikes of the time.

Assume you spent enough time there to get a feel for what he's about, doesn't take long.

Were you already familiar with him, DiNucci, Newlands/Strawberry?

Last edited by merziac; 11-03-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 04:34 PM
habes78023 

xiaoman1 I added some Seat Cluster photos and Headtube photos to the album, https://photos.app.goo.gl/4t54kri8AdNV4Tf9A

sharing a few here too.

Old 11-03-20, 04:36 PM
habes78023 

Couple more of the seatpost, since I was limited to 10 pics.

Old 11-03-20, 04:42 PM
merziac

This one

Rear brake hiding in the BB slipstream.

Last edited by merziac; 11-03-20 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 04:53 PM
habes78023 

Very good, this was not the first show bike, the studio black and white photos are that one if you saw it.

He had worked with Shimano after Campy blew him off when he tried to help them, great article in BQ 62 about that.

Jim was in the middle of many things aside from mad skills building frames, racks and making some of the nicest most well built bikes of the time.

Assume you spent enough time there to get a feel for what he's about, doesn't take long.

Were you already familiar with him, DiNucci, Newlands/Strawberry?
I hadn't made it back that far in the pictures before finding the pink frame, That black and white bike is even cooler. Those internal routings are nice, reminds me of the Panasonic Team America I had for a little while. Awesome work.

I know the name Merz for sure, hard not to know it (kind of been hoping to get a blue Allez at some point to try plus it would match my Stumpjumper), but I was not as in tune with the full history and associations. But you are right, clicking through that page and the comments was a lot of great info. I've seen some Strawberry frames for sale locally and always thought they looked awesome.
Old 11-03-20, 04:57 PM
habes78023 

Ha, you beat me to it, and I'm clearly blind and it's been awhile since I've been to the forums. Username and Bike list checks out, you're the guy to know when it comes to Merz it would appear .
Old 11-03-20, 05:25 PM
merziac

Ha, you beat me to it, and I'm clearly blind and it's been awhile since I've been to the forums. Username and Bike list checks out, you're the guy to know when it comes to Merz it would appear .
Maybe, really just another nut with a specific strain of this affliction.

I do feel these 3 had a big impact on many things cycling, they are responsible for PDX being the framebuilding/cycling, meca/epicenter that it is, was, etc.

Merz and DiNucci going to Big S was huge IMO and while I'm not a big fan of Sinyard, you cannot argue with his success, these 2 had plenty to do with that.

I should have noticed your local as well but there are many nearby that haven't heard of these guys .

Its funny when I show them, people that know are thrilled and amazed just as those that don't are amazed since they know what they're looking at.

More than once someone has said the trip was worth it just to see a Merz in person with 50 other famous bikes on display.
Old 12-19-20, 02:05 AM
habes78023 

Well, for posterity sake, I'm probably going to be letting this one go. If I ever do hear back from one of the builders I reached out to and find more info, I'll try to come back here and update the post, but for now, I'm gonna let someone else have this project.

In my search for parts and more info, I came across another Aero tubed bike from a local builder here in Olympia and I actually know for sure that's true because I bought it from the original owner. And It has the right seatpost, haha, so I think I'm going to have my fun with that one for a little while. Probably deserves it's own post, but I've also moved to a new house in between time so I'll have to revisit that later.

Thanks for y'all's interest and the discussion! I am fingers crossed that the next owner can find the right seatpost and get to the bottom of this frames origins with more certainty.
Old 03-09-21, 01:03 PM
geeord

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, for posterity sake, I'm probably going to be letting this one go. If I ever do hear back from one of the builders I reached out to and find more info, I'll try to come back here and update the post, but for now, I'm gonna let someone else have this project.

In my search for parts and more info, I came across another Aero tubed bike from a local builder here in Olympia and I actually know for sure that's true because I bought it from the original owner. And It has the right seatpost, haha, so I think I'm going to have my fun with that one for a little while. Probably deserves it's own post, but I've also moved to a new house in between time so I'll have to revisit that later.

Thanks for y'all's interest and the discussion! I am fingers crossed that the next owner can find the right seatpost and get to the bottom of this frames origins with more certainty.
Just curious, have you sold the bike yet? If so did you have any luck with finding the proper seat pillar?
Old 03-14-21, 08:44 PM
habes78023 

Hey geeord Still hanging in the garage at the moment.

The Seatpost seems to be the needle in the haystack for this to be built. From my research and post on the Paceline forum:
"Looking at what the Shimano catalog says for AX, I think this probably does have the wrong post installed, I'd say probably an E Type, SP-7322 at 29mm x 18.5mm, whereas it actually requires a SP-7320 C Type, which has more of a teardrop shape.. measurements supposed to be 34.1mm x 18mm."

I have an ebay search for Shimano AX set, and check the results often, but I'm not super hopeful that I'll find a C-Type AX post before I finally get around to listing the frame for sale myself. Plus, if I find one of those seatposts on eBay, it's going to cost me more than I paid for this bike , and I'm not a big enough Serotta fan yet that I need to keep this one.

I also haven't heard back from my inquiries through the couple frame builders I thought might have clues beyond those already documented here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.