Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava- anybody else find it creepy/intrusive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-21, 11:40 AM
biketom5
Roadie

Bikes: 1996 Basso Gap, 2011 Ritchey BreakAway (steel), 2011 Trek 6.2 Project One, 1990 Paramount PDG (using with my indoor trainer)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No issues here.

I have been using Strava for a few years now and I am not experiencing the same things that you are. I am using an iPhone X and under Settings I have most everything activated/allowed except Location, which is only active while I am using the app.
Old 06-07-21, 11:40 AM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
Does the friend you had to create an account for have the same friends as you? Maybe it's your friend's friends and Strava assumes you know them too.
I've personally have never seen this pop-up on Strava. I also have never joined Facebook.

Old 06-07-21, 01:17 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I didn't read any stories that stated or insinuated that.
I'm super confused by this response, because your previous post literally states "their heat maps were revealing the locations of secret military basis" and links an article from Wired that includes the headline "The end of secrets" and includes the statement "anyone can identify secretive military bases and patrol routes based on public data shared".

It's not until halfway through the Wired article that they state what should have been made obvious: "bases pointed out by researchers and journalists had already been previously revealed through other public sources."

The reality is that no base locations were "revealed" by Strava. You can find all of these military bases on Google Maps already. Their locations are well known, not secret.
Old 06-07-21, 01:36 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'm super confused by this response, because your previous post literally states "their heat maps were revealing the locations of secret military basis" and links an article from Wired that includes the headline "The end of secrets" and includes the statement "anyone can identify secretive military bases and patrol routes based on public data shared".

It's not until halfway through the Wired article that they state what should have been made obvious: "bases pointed out by researchers and journalists had already been previously revealed through other public sources."

The reality is that no base locations were "revealed" by Strava. You can find all of these military bases on Google Maps already. Their locations are well known, not secret.
You stated that the stories ALL claimed the following

Strava was secretly tracking military members without their permission
Show me one example that (a) says that Strava was doing this in secret and (b) that the tracking was contrary to said individuals permission.
Old 06-07-21, 02:06 PM
Steeler_fanatic

Bikes: 2022 Trek Émonda SLR 6 eTap, 2018 Trek Domane ALR 5, 1974 Batavis Tour de l’Europe

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Below is from the Strava website.

How does Strava access my contacts and how do I prevent access to my contacts

• Address Book
    • You can give Strava access to your address book for social connections via the Find Friends page. You have the option to sync your address book on this page during account creation or at any point after your account has been created. After you choose to connect your address book, we continue to sync your contacts regularly to be able to provide you with up to date recommendations.
    • You can remove your address book connections from further syncing and storage by Strava by visiting the Contacts Permission menu from the Settings Page in the mobile app.
  • Facebook Connections
    • You can give Strava access to your Facebook connections via the Find Friends page or by creating a Strava account by using your Facebook account. In either case, you are giving permission for Strava to access your friends list and connect you with your Facebook friends who are on Strava and have also connected their Facebook accounts.
    • If you wish to disconnect your Facebook account, and consequently your connections, you can do so by logging in to https://www.strava.com/settings/profile and clicking disconnect on the right-hand side of the page.
  • Gmail Contacts
    • If you choose to use your gmail.com account via Strava to send invitations to your contacts, Strava will only use that information to send invitations on your behalf and will not use it for other purposes.
Likes For Steeler_fanatic:
Old 06-07-21, 02:14 PM
ridesoldtrek
RidesOldTrek

Bikes: 2018 Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Trek TX-500, 1990 Bridgestone MB-3, 1983 Trek 500

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Full Disclosure: I have not read every reply. Someone may have proposed this.
It could be that someone who has you in their contacts list is a Strava user, and has allowed Strava to use their contacts (unless there's no opt-out), and Strava is using that to connect the two of you.

This happened to me. I have free Strava. A recent business associate (who is not in my contacts, and with whom I have NO electronic record: facebook, linkedin, ANYTHING, etc. except for confidential professional emails between us) recently joined strava. Strava sends me an email: Do you know RJ? Creepy, there is NO way Strava could know that I know RJ from my electronic footprint, unless I am in RJ's contact list. Turns out this is the case, and RJ was even more freaked out by it because RJ is a medical professional, and our business connection is highly confidential.

So BEWARE
Likes For ridesoldtrek:
Old 06-07-21, 02:17 PM
ridesoldtrek
RidesOldTrek

Bikes: 2018 Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Trek TX-500, 1990 Bridgestone MB-3, 1983 Trek 500

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Steeler_fanatic
Below is from the Strava website.

How does Strava access my contacts and how do I prevent access to my contacts

• Address Book
    • You can give Strava access to your address book for social connections via the Find Friends page. You have the option to sync your address book on this page during account creation or at any point after your account has been created. After you choose to connect your address book, we continue to sync your contacts regularly to be able to provide you with up to date recommendations.
Based on my experience, this is the default setting.
Old 06-07-21, 02:35 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
You stated that the stories ALL claimed the following

Show me one example that (a) says that Strava was doing this in secret and (b) that the tracking was contrary to said individuals permission.
Oh, I see. Yes, the claim of secret tracking was an exaggeration on my part, which I assumed was obvious.

I think my overall point is pretty clear: Strava did not reveal the locations of secret military bases which is something you directly stated, and something the Wired story you linked strongly implies. The Wired story is like most others that were written on this topic, with an outlandish headline about secrets being revealed when that isn't actually the case.
Old 06-07-21, 03:26 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I'm not on Strava and plan to stay that way. Other than Facebook, I'm not on any other social network platform including linkedin.
Old 06-07-21, 04:29 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Oh, I see. Yes, the claim of secret tracking was an exaggeration on my part, which I assumed was obvious.

I think my overall point is pretty clear: Strava did not reveal the locations of secret military bases which is something you directly stated, and something the Wired story you linked strongly implies. The Wired story is like most others that were written on this topic, with an outlandish headline about secrets being revealed when that isn't actually the case.
Yup. Your exaggerations and assumptions are benign. Any similarities to the accusations that you level are not material.
Old 06-07-21, 04:44 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Here's a 'real world' analogy:
You go into a bike shop for the first time. You don't know anybody there. When they are getting the invoice ready, they ask for your phone number.
As soon as you give it to them, they start reciting a list of your friends from the past 20 years, and showing you their pictures.

Would that be 'normal'? 'welcome'?

I wouldn't be comfortable in a place where my name and address was displayed on a large roadside screen if I crossed against the amber light, but that happens, too.....

Anyway, I didn't think Strava advertised itself as a 'social media' site.

Would folks here be happy if BikeForum harvested their email contacts (and sold them)?
And how do we know they don't? Advertising and email/contact culling are marketing tools and some of the biggest revenue generators available to sites like this. Not that it's a bad thing if it keeps a a non-profit(?) alive.
Old 06-07-21, 04:56 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."
There is no such thing as bad PR.
Old 06-08-21, 03:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by ridesoldtrek
It could be that someone who has you in their contacts list is a Strava user, and has allowed Strava to use their contacts (unless there's no opt-out), and Strava is using that to connect the two of you.

This happened to me. I have free Strava. A recent business associate (who is not in my contacts, and with whom I have NO electronic record: facebook, linkedin, ANYTHING, etc. except for confidential professional emails between us) recently joined strava. Strava sends me an email: Do you know RJ? Creepy, there is NO way Strava could know that I know RJ from my electronic footprint, unless I am in RJ's contact list. Turns out this is the case, and RJ was even more freaked out by it because RJ is a medical professional, and our business connection is highly confidential.

So BEWARE
We're tracked in many ways. If you and RJ have exchanged emails using Gmail, Outlook (or the older Hotmail, which I still use), etc., those are scanned for data to push ads and other connections. Signing up for Strava may have triggered connections that were already made to push the social networking aspect of Strava.

Some folks set up standalone accounts with Strava, using unique passwords. But I'd bet most of us use our existing Facebook and Google logins for convenience -- and because many of us enjoy the social networking aspect. Signing up for Strava using our Facebook or Google accounts helps data trackers confirm clues to our identities and personal or professional connections.

This is how we pay for all those "free" services -- email, social networks, physical activity tools, etc. Ideally if we paid for subscriptions the services would offer more privacy and protection from intrusive ads. In actual practice, most sites and utilities offer more features to paying subscribers, but don't cut back on data harvesting or ads at all.

Cyclemeter may be the most private activity app for cyclists/runners, etc., but I see from checking their website just now that they're offering more integration with social networking. But as long as it's optional and they aren't forcing it by making sharing the default, that's okay.
Old 06-08-21, 03:40 AM
Pearson100

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 17 Posts
I don't think Strava has necesssarily harvested *your* personal information. If you follow some of your friends, then Strava might list *their* followers as friends/people you might know. And in that list, some of your friends pop up in Strava.
Old 06-08-21, 08:19 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by VicBC_Biker
Just 'signed up' at Strava a couple of weeks ago. I 'had to do it' to see a ride a friend had done.

Does anybody except me find it 'creepy' when Strava announces:

And then they list people I do know......
Exactly how do they know that info?
It's the same reason I don't like FaceBook.
Too old, I guess..still value my privacy and 'have issues' with surveillance capitalism.
Nothing creepy about it.

If you started following your friend to see his ride then Strava will suggest people within his circle of Strava Friends that you may or may not know. Same way Facebook works.

Besides... you are here on this forum. Does that creep you out?
Old 06-08-21, 09:10 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
If you have any facebook or facebook-owned apps on your phone, you have been basically giving out all your data to whoever wants it. I think things have tightened up a little recently, but it was like that for a while.

I am sure FB is not the only one, just among the most effective. If you use anything Google, assume they knew everything about you as well.

It is all the price of free.

And yes, is is very creepy IMO. It being ubiquitous, and largely unavoidable does not make it any less so.

The commentor above who mentionsd Orwell (1984), echos my thoughts. Who would have thought we would happily install the surveillance trackers on ourselves?
It's very creepy and big tech has been getting much better at it. Do a search on Google for anything that can be sold to you (like a product or a service). Then go on Instagram and see what kinds of ads you get - two completely different companies and platforms, but almost instantaneously the ads will uncannily reflect your search. One time, I clicked on an ad on Instagram while scrolling, and a few hours later the company - which I've never heard of before - sent me a promotional email! And Instagram says they don't share details like that with advertisers... yeah, I don't believe it.

Here's the main landing page to manage what Facebook knows about you: https://www.facebook.com/your_inform...and_businesses
Some picks:
See which 3rd-party sites shared your activity with Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/off_facebook_activity/
What Facebook thinks you're interested in: https://www.facebook.com/adpreferenc...tion_about_you
Advertisers who uploaded a contact list with your information: https://www.facebook.com/adpreferenc...tion_about_you
This last one is fantastic. Basically, everyone you ever bought anything from will share all your info with advertisers in order to show ads and sell more stuff to you: Advertisers can upload lists or use lists that other advertisers have uploaded to show you or exclude you from seeing ads. Lists can contain contact information, for example, an email address or phone number, that is hashed so that Facebook does not learn any new identifying information about you. Lists can also contain advertising identifiers instead of contact information. Information from lists is matched against our existing list of users. The identity of matched users is not revealed to the advertiser during the matching process.

Originally Posted by ridesoldtrek

So BEWARE
Yup, all they need is a one-way connection. Facebook is known to have been creating 'ghost' profiles for people before they ever joined. Instagram, at some point, may have based their 'this person is also on instagram' suggestions based on location proximity.