Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Ready to buy my first Fixed Gear.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 03:58 PM
tlu94

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Just joined the forum and am looking to pick up my first fixed gear. I have been doing a lot of research and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Kilo TT Pro(Seems like one of the best bangs for the buck given the components.) or the Raleigh Rush Hour 2013 edition. https://taylorsbikeshop.com/product/1...FQSg4Aod0QIAPQ
Both have a 520 chromoly frame the geometries are a bit different. I plan on city riding and road riding, nothing too long in distance so hopefully a more agressive geometry is no issue. If I get the Kilo TT Pro I will most likely change the saddle immediately as I have heard that they are total crap. I will be changing the drop bars to Soma Urban Pursuits on either bikes. My question is, how much would it cost to build a bike with similar quality to either of these bikes? I really like the concept of building my own bike and making it my "own." However if the cost is much higher when compared to a complete, then I will drop the idea of building my own and hopefully just slowly customize my bike over time. Also if you guys know any other bikes in this price range that are worth looking at let me know!
Old 01-23-13, 04:02 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
If you were buying all parts new, I'd say around $700-$800
Old 01-23-13, 04:12 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm that is quite a bit of money.I guess I most likely will get a complete then and slowly make it my "own" over time. What physical differences will a rider feel when a $400 bike is compared to a $800 bike?
Old 01-23-13, 05:52 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tlu94
Hmm that is quite a bit of money.I guess I most likely will get a complete then and slowly make it my "own" over time. What physical differences will a rider feel when a $400 bike is compared to a $800 bike?
The most notable difference is going to be the wheels.
Old 01-23-13, 06:07 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
And your wallet.
Old 01-23-13, 06:32 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And when he says wheels he means you will feel the weight difference, which will lead to an overall difference in your speed and endurance over time.

I'd go with a used complete, depending on where you live you might find what you're looking for. I see Rush Hours and Kilos on craigslist in my area, but if you're set on those then go for it.
Old 01-23-13, 06:55 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigglyPuff
And when he says wheels he means you will feel the weight difference, which will lead to an overall difference in your speed and endurance over time.

I'd go with a used complete, depending on where you live you might find what you're looking for. I see Rush Hours and Kilos on craigslist in my area, but if you're set on those then go for it.
So the main thing you are paying for when you buy a more expensive bike is less weight? (Of course you would also have better welding,paint,etc., but I would assume that these factors wouldn't impact ride quality)

Hmm, I'm not exactly set on those two bikes, they are just the bikes that, through my research, determined to be the best value in my price range. If there are any bikes that are noteworthy competitors, please let me know.

What are some bike that I should look out for that would fit in this price range when used?
Old 01-23-13, 07:39 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
ride quality is definitely effected

contact points like saddle, pedals and bars are a big factor

frame materials also play a big role in the ride quality
Old 01-23-13, 07:43 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mumonkan
ride quality is definitely effected

contact points like saddle, pedals and bars are a big factor

frame materials also play a big role in the ride quality
But is the improvement worth paying double the price?
Old 01-23-13, 07:55 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
But is the improvement worth paying double the price?
I don't personally think so, not for a stock bike. I'd rather get a $450 Kilo TT, and put the rest of the $350 into it as need be. Saddle/pedals/tires pretty much.
Old 01-23-13, 07:57 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

i agree, ride the bike first and then see what you dont like about it

ive upgraded everything on my bike including the bike but ive still kept the $28 saddle cuz my butt doesnt hate it
Old 01-23-13, 08:01 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Even if you're an experienced cyclist, you won't really know how you'll use this bike until you use it

Whatever you do, make sure the frame is the right size and you have good wheels. These don't have to be expensive, just don't buy cheap rubbish. The rest of the bike is fairly easy to alter and change to suit your needs and desires, which is the true pleasure of building your own bikes. I've got a bike here that's had more changes in style than your average supermodel.
Old 01-23-13, 09:07 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm deducing that I should just buy a complete and upgrade it over time instead of building my own straight out? Kilo TT Pro, any thoughts on the bike?
Old 01-23-13, 09:13 PM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

everybody loves it around these parts. its used as both a form of currency and a scale of measurement
Old 01-23-13, 09:25 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I'm close to being sold on it haha, I however heard that is uses a 1 inch headset which is not the industry standard, is this really going to matter? Do you have any input on the Raleigh Rush Hour, it uses the same 520 Chromoly however I think it has a steeper geometry.
Old 01-23-13, 09:29 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm, I'm close to being sold on it haha, I however heard that is uses a 1 inch headset which is not the industry standard, is this really going to matter? Do you have any input on the Raleigh Rush Hour, it uses the same 520 Chromoly however I think it has a steeper geometry.
The 1" doesn't matter. A shim, and I'm running the bee's knees everything. The Kilo has steeper geometry, better wheels/drivetrain, and a smaller price tag.

I should know, I ride "The World's Nicest Kilo TT Pro", aka "The Most Expensive Kilo TT Pro", aka "The Kilo TT Pro PRO", etc. They're sweet bikes.
Old 01-23-13, 09:40 PM
BigglyPuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm deducing that I should just buy a complete and upgrade it over time instead of building my own straight out? Kilo TT Pro, any thoughts on the bike?
Pretty much summed it up right there, good work.

I have an 09 Rush Hour and what I like about it is the dependability. Everything on it is just set it and forget it (until regular cleaning/maintenance is required), which is how a bike should be. It's not the lightest thing (my Leader is much lighter based on the pick-it-up test), and I still have the stock wheelset on there.

But it's solid and it's a great every day bike. What I don't like is that it is strictly a track bike, in the sense that it's meant to be ridden fast. The widest tire I can fit in the back is a 25c, so keep that in mind for future changes you might want to make. I love my Leader because I can throw wide tires on there, currently riding a 28c with room to spare.
Old 01-23-13, 09:40 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read this on ****** though: "Can't use a shim to fit a 1 1/8" steerer into a 1" head tube. Can't use a shim to make a 31.8mm handlebar fit into a 26.4mm clamp. Can't..."

Nagrom, I took alook at your PedalRoom pics, is the Kilo TT your main bike? I'm assuming your bike has that title due to various upgrades? haha.

How are the Soma Urban Pursuits as bullhorns? If they are good, I plan on buying them unless there better handle bars.
Old 01-23-13, 09:49 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I read this on ****** though: "Can't use a shim to fit a 1 1/8" steerer into a 1" head tube. Can't use a shim to make a 31.8mm handlebar fit into a 26.4mm clamp. Can't..."

Nagrom, I took alook at your PedalRoom pics, is the Kilo TT your main bike? I'm assuming your bike has that title due to various upgrades? haha.

How are the Soma Urban Pursuits as bullhorns? If they are good, I plan on buying them unless there better handle bars.
There's your problem.
Of course you can't shim down. What the hell? How would adding a shim, make the size of the part smaller?

My Kilo has been officiallly retired to the track now that I finished my road bike, but it has gotten plenty of road miles while I didn't have a roadie. They're awesome bikes.
Old 01-23-13, 11:33 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Got my first fixed gear, a Kilo, three months ago. Only change was swapping the bars for Nitto RB-018s with long track grips. Have loved riding that bike so much that I had to investigate what could possibly be better, so a couple weeks ago I got a Big Block. The new bike is transcendent, but that doesn't take anything away from the Kilo which I will gladly keep for a beater.

In other words, don't fret over getting the Kilo. It's a perfect entry level bike and a great value.
Old 01-24-13, 12:47 AM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nagrom_
There's your problem.
Of course you can't shim down. What the hell? How would adding a shim, make the size of the part smaller?

My Kilo has been officiallly retired to the track now that I finished my road bike, but it has gotten plenty of road miles while I didn't have a roadie. They're awesome bikes.
Wait I'm a bit confused, since the Kilo uses a 1" head tube, how is it possible to fit a 1 1/8" part, unless the head tube is the male end.

Originally Posted by jlafitte
Got my first fixed gear, a Kilo, three months ago. Only change was swapping the bars for Nitto RB-018s with long track grips. Have loved riding that bike so much that I had to investigate what could possibly be better, so a couple weeks ago I got a Big Block. The new bike is transcendent, but that doesn't take anything away from the Kilo which I will gladly keep for a beater.

In other words, don't fret over getting the Kilo. It's a perfect entry level bike and a great value.
Yup, I've already made up my mind that I'm getting the Kilo, but just wondering, what physical differences can you actually feel when riding?

Ahhh, just one more thing. This is a bit silly, but I need some opinions on which color to get haha.

White:

Gray

Old 01-24-13, 06:50 AM
thewilson 

Bikes: CAAD10/Wabi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Whichever color is lighter, of course. Or whichever you like more. whatever. Gray.
Old 01-24-13, 12:44 PM
tlu94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know haha, I'm just an indecisive person! Wait what? How is gray lighter than white lol.
Old 01-24-13, 12:47 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wait I'm a bit confused, since the Kilo uses a 1" head tube, how is it possible to fit a 1 1/8" part, unless the head tube is the male end.
I'm using a shim. I am using a 1-1/8 stem on a 1" steerer tube.

Also, that's a bad example of a white one. Here you go:
Old 01-24-13, 01:16 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
unless the head tube is the male end.
Bingo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.