Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclists Hate?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cyclists Hate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-13, 03:57 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
Actually the statistics don't show such a thing. 2008 stats showed 594 accidental deaths by firearms and 716 bicyclists were killed in traffic accidents. Looks like cycling is the more dangerous of the two. "Just sayin'"
Ah, but you're only looking at accidental deaths by firearms--include intentional shootings as well and you get a different story.
Old 01-07-13, 06:59 AM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
Ah, but you're only looking at accidental deaths by firearms--include intentional shootings as well and you get a different story.
True, but then I would be comparing apples to oranges since firearms are designed as weapons while bicycles are not (I'm not even sure how I would use my bicycle as a weapon). Comparing the gun hobbyist to the bicyclist, the figures are quite similar. I used 2008 out of laziness, it was easy to find, but I wouldn't be surprised that if we did a chart of twenty years the top spot for accidents would vary between the two. But both statistics pale if we throw accidental drownings into the mix. They exceed either figure by a factor of five or six times. And, as I often do, I am leading us off topic.
Old 01-07-13, 07:11 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'm really only responding to the first few responses and comments in this thread, as I started to see my interest drift the more I read. In any event, my experience leads me to believe the following. Hate is something, that once you have it, gets spread around in lots of different ways. Those who manifest "cyclist hate" probably hate many other things too.
Old 01-07-13, 07:20 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I'm really only responding to the first few responses and comments in this thread, as I started to see my interest drift the more I read. In any event, my experience leads me to believe the following. Hate is something, that once you have it, gets spread around in lots of different ways. Those who manifest "cyclist hate" probably hate many other things too.
+1
Old 01-07-13, 08:04 AM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I think you are right on the nose.