Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Is it just me or are others embarrassed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 02:32 PM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, exactly! I used to get bent out of shape all the time about that kind of stuff. It still bothers me a little, but, seriously...look at the kinds of people who make comments like that. Are they people whose opinions seem important and relevant? Not really. It's not like I'd ask for their advice on any other topic.

Just don't run me over or throw crap at me!
Likes For wild animals:
Old 08-17-09, 08:00 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Nacho Libre!!!
Well, this took me awhile to figure out but a friend told me it's the name of a new, very funny movie. At first I thought it meant, "free the cheese". I think I like my interpretation so much that I'm adding it to my sig.
Old 08-18-09, 06:24 AM
RobotDoctor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
turtlewoman, thanks for this thread. Your testimonial, as well as all the others, has really showed me the compassion of the cyclist community. It is encouraging to know that there is a community that will support and raise up the spirits of those who are beginning their journey. Thanks to you and everyone for the posts. I will definitely bookmark this thread so that I can get a pick-me-up when I feel down.

I would not consider myself a cyclist as of yet because I have not actually begun my journey, at least physically. I did pick up a used road bike last night (1999 Trek 1200). I took a friend of mine, a serious road biker, to look at it. He went through the bike and noted some minor issues but said that overall the bike was very nice and in pretty good condition. I will take the bike into a LBS to have it tuned up sometime later this month or early next month (due to budget issues). I am really looking towards starting and have already mapped my routes out in my hometown.

I have always admired those who have committed to cycling, especially those who can consider themselves Athenas or Clydesdales because I respected that those people would actually do something about it. As for me, I was usually sitting in my car while others were out riding. How sad is that? So I ask, who should really be feeling bad? It was me. Well, after reaching the top of my personal scale, but having lost a few of those pounds sitting at 275 lbs, I am going to do something about it. Because of threads like this and the encouragement I have read from many, I am ready to commit to road cycling. I am a serious golfer who does not get out as much as in years past. I play once every 4 or 5 weeks (with no practice) but can still score in the 70s or low/mid 80s. I used to play 2 to 4 rounds a week and loved golf because of the peace and solitude the game offered. Well, that is really no longer the case. The two or three blow-up holes really ruin my round and I am not in like with golf. I believe that road cycling will offer me the peace and solitude that I am missing and am eagerly looking forward to riding.

Forget what others think (except remember the supportive posts) and ride. You will be an inspiration to others and your testimonial will be the catalyst for many others to start their own journey, myself included. Again, thanks and happy trails (or roads).

Best regards,

Sam
Old 08-18-09, 06:43 AM
turbo2L

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have the money for tune-ups either. You might want to do research on the internet and learn how to do most of it (if not all of it) yourself. Some tools, and the knowledge to use them, are cheaper in the long-run.

Then, instead of a full tune-up, you can choose the specific services you need. The only thing I can't/won't do myself is wheel truing. Other than that, the rest is pretty easy for me, although it took me a while to get how to adjust the derailleurs correctly. I'm fortunate to have a mechanical background, but the mechanics of a bike are nowhere near as complex as helicopters or cars, so I don't think it's beyond the grasp of most people.

What I like most about doing the work myself is that I can spend all the time I want getting things just right. Mechanics in a shop are usually pressed for time, and cannot afford absolute attention to detail, not to mention the crap shoot involved. They might be good, or they might be bad, and it's hard to know which.
Old 08-18-09, 07:27 AM
RobotDoctor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo2L
I don't have the money for tune-ups either. You might want to do research on the internet and learn how to do most of it (if not all of it) yourself. Some tools, and the knowledge to use them, are cheaper in the long-run.

Then, instead of a full tune-up, you can choose the specific services you need. The only thing I can't/won't do myself is wheel truing. Other than that, the rest is pretty easy for me, although it took me a while to get how to adjust the derailleurs correctly. I'm fortunate to have a mechanical background, but the mechanics of a bike are nowhere near as complex as helicopters or cars, so I don't think it's beyond the grasp of most people.

What I like most about doing the work myself is that I can spend all the time I want getting things just right. Mechanics in a shop are usually pressed for time, and cannot afford absolute attention to detail, not to mention the crap shoot involved. They might be good, or they might be bad, and it's hard to know which.
That is terrific advice. I work in the industrial robotics field so I am somewhat mechanically inclined. The problems with my bike mainly reside with the front derailleur. I will do some research on the adjustment (which seems to be straight forward on initial research). I would like to get my bike out as soon as possible and start riding. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-18-09, 11:36 PM
JoRoFoto
www.jorofoto.com

Bikes: '10 Cannondale Six Carbon 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely agree with a lot of what people have said in this thread..

Simply put, ignore the mean people because their opinions don't matter.. just take the positive comments as ones that help motivate and push you..
Old 08-19-09, 12:45 AM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtlewoman
I am just starting back to bicycling after about 15 years of complete inactivity. I am 5'5" and 236. Kind of a round little person! My problem is that I am very embarrassed to go out on my bike. I really love riding but I am afraid some creep will yell something at me or someone will laugh. And wearing bike shorts---FORGET THAT! Does anybody else feel that way or is it just me?
I'm 5'10" and 380lbs. On my 4th or 5th ride, someone actually did try to make fun of me. they said something in effect of " Hey! are you really that big?"

It bugged me, but I got over it. I have been riding for about a year now, and I am so glad that I didn't quit riding.

If anyone else ever yells at me, it won't bother me next time ( well maybe a little, but I am only human)

best of wishes to you.

Tyler
Old 08-19-09, 12:47 AM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
PS I have the support of everyone that know me. thats what really matters.
Old 08-19-09, 12:20 PM
jooshy
I heart Long Rides

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey 29r, State Bicycles Cosmic SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoRoFoto
Definitely agree with a lot of what people have said in this thread..
Simply put, ignore the mean people because their opinions don't matter.. just take the positive comments as ones that help motivate and push you..

Amen!

Go out and have fun! Welcome to the Bike Forums!
Old 08-19-09, 03:24 PM
turtlewoman

Bikes: Peugeot something 1975

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
SeizeTech,
I haven't so far had anybody say anything to me but on my last evening ride I had a niggling idea that someone might say something like, "Your to fat to ride". And I had my response all ready for them, "Looks like I'm doing it!" But, alas, no one was of a mind to try and humiliate me, rats!!
Old 08-19-09, 09:19 PM
jim10040

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Y'know, you need to put a picture of your bike in the Classic/Vintage thread!
Old 08-19-09, 09:28 PM
urban rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once had someone make nasty remarks about me when I riding. I think I was 270 pounds. I was so embrassed. Today I have women come up to me and stating they are inspired to ride because of me. Men are trying to get my number. Of course I lost quite a few pounds.

Gas, .69 cents the price of a can of beans.
Old 08-19-09, 10:19 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by SeizeTech
PS I have the support of everyone that know me. thats what really matters.
And the support of many people who don't know you.... like me. Ride, ST ride!

Old 08-19-09, 10:57 PM
SeizeTech

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just a lighter side to this topic, I hope you guys can laugh about it like I can:

you know how some peoplle actually have the gall to say things like " You have a nice face, if only you could do something about that ass"

well, my sinister side of me wants to get a tshirt that says " You have a nice ass, if only you could do something about that face"
Old 08-23-09, 03:51 AM
herrbrahms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No shame required

I'm a 310 lb Clyde who bought an eZee Sprint electric bike this month. I've been outfitting it with the necessary handlebar bag, bar ends and cork tape, panniers, etc. I resolved that I would do my grocery shopping by bike. It provides me recreation, exercise, solitude, and replaces a car trip. And I've already gotten my novice endo out of the way. (I braked too hard while signaling a turn...gotta keep those palms ON the grips when decelerating. The worst effect was a pulled deltoid that is healing.)

Today while on the trail to the bike shop, I passed a walker who I think said the word, "chubb." I don't know, and if not for this thread, I wouldn't care. Fact is that I got this fat because of sitting on my butt all day at work on a computer, and I refuse to just wait for an early death because I need my paycheck from the Man.

This bike will prolong my life, and when gasoline goes back over $4 a gallon, I will be spending $.04 on electricity for my hill assist. I'm sure that 'chubb' or whatever his name is isn't capable of doing something fulfilling to himself, and feels it necessary to tear down other people so he doesn't have to face the little man within. I pity 'chubb' because he isn't on the path I am.

'Chubb' was one of probably 200 people I encountered on the trail today, and he was the only one who said something nasty to me. I did speak to others at a traffic light, (asking them if I could lead as I was late for my service appointment, which they agreed to pleasantly) and a few people passed me as I was pulled over futzing in my handlebar bag. Those are pretty good odds.

And don't forget: I don't even know that the man said 'chubb.' He might have been trying to say 'cheater.' I love going at 18 when my legs can only push me to 11 on the flat. Sue me.
Old 08-29-09, 12:51 PM
430HP

Bikes: Nothing yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moved......

Last edited by 430HP; 08-29-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-29-09, 07:47 PM
SmokeDiver
Totally Worth It

Bikes: Trek 1.2 Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I also was embarrassed and to make matters more difficult I started riding a year ago as a commuter.

I remember arriving to work early and walking past a group of smokers who commented on my appearance.

That's when it hit me. Why should I care what people think? Most of these people have no control over their health, and I do.

It's your life, make the most of it.

Michael
I can't get over the irony of a bunch of smokers cracking on you for doing something for your health.
Old 08-29-09, 09:34 PM
effulgent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know of which you speak when you say that you feel odd riding the bike. Being an uberathena at 350 lbs, I got a bike which I thought would be nice and sturdy for my body - a Coppehagen-styled city bike. It's very cute, and allows me to sit up when I ride, which to me is more comfortable than the more bent over road bikes. The gut makes it hard to bend over, to be quite honest.

However, I love my Aerotech biking shorts. The first season I rode, I had Terry cycling short, and the cushion on the Aerotech shorts are light years better. I feel like a bit of a **** riding a tooling-around-the-neighborhood bike in my Sidi Mega cycling shoes and spandex, but dang it, I'm comfortable.

I have a point, I swear. Last night, the hubby and I decided to take a little ride to dinner, and I wore my jeans over my bike shorts for the first time. Now, maybe it was the fact that it was a longer ride than I'm used to, or maybe it's because I was wearing my stiff jeans over my shorts, or maybe it's because I sat there in my sweaty shorts and jeans for an hour eating dinner before I headed home, but oh my GAWD was I chaffed in places I wish I wasn't! I'm going to try another ride tomorrow with some chamois cream and pray that I don't feel like my saddle is made of sandpaper.

That being said, my point that I'm trying to make is that if you're going to wear something over your shorts, make sure it's super soft and big. I've never had a problem with my knit shorts I normally wear over my cycling shorts. Don't be dumb and try a really long ride in jeans. Your "soft tissue" will thank you! Next paycheck, I'm getting one of those skirt wraps, so that if we do decide to stop and have some food on our ride (as we are wont to do these days), I can sit on the patio and not feel like too much of a ****.
Old 08-31-09, 06:39 AM
SmokeDiver
Totally Worth It

Bikes: Trek 1.2 Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UnderArmor gym shorts are great for wearing over bike shorts, you hardly notice they're on.
Old 08-31-09, 08:55 AM
Oidar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SeizeTech
Just a lighter side to this topic, I hope you guys can laugh about it like I can:

you know how some people actually have the gall to say things like " You have a nice face, if only you could do something about that ass"

well, my sinister side of me wants to get a tshirt that says " You have a nice ass, if only you could do something about that face"
I want a T-shirt that says "I Beat Anorexia". (Size 5X of course)
Old 08-31-09, 06:11 PM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, hey, guys, someone (two people) made fun of me the other day.

I had just gone up a hill at 17mph*and was huffing and puffing, and no skinnier than usual, but they didn't care about that--they were laughing at my ANSI orange Alert Shirt

*I used to be miserable going up that hill at 6-7mph--now I'm miserable at 2-3 times the speed!
Old 09-01-09, 05:56 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's probably been mentioned by now (I haven’t read the entire thread ) but when you put this problem into perspective it isn't that bid of a deal.

On a given bike ride you pass several hundred people, more so if you get off the MUPs and into traffic. You get hassled once a week. So out of 1000 people which is probably a very light estimate, one person mouthed off. That one person represented .001% of the total population making 99.999% of your encounters are with people who are pleasant or at the very least able to bite their tongues.

It's all how you take it. Words cannot hurt you unless you let them.
Old 09-02-09, 05:57 AM
wb416

Bikes: 2009 Surly LHT; 2007 Cannondale Synapse 2; 2009 Cannondale CO2 F5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Penny got me a new T-shirt today that was pretty appropriate to how I feel sometimes....

It isn't what people say (even though it can be hurtful), but rather what you can use as motivation, internally or externally, to get on your bike and ride!

Old 09-02-09, 06:32 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Bob - awesome shirt!

Old 09-02-09, 07:40 AM
Smoked

Bikes: trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is an awesome shirt..

on topic: Who care what others say. I guess that I am lucky and have yet to run into anyone giving me hell about my size and being on a bike. I have noticed folks out on the trail that are much bigger than I am and my only thought is good for them!!! at least they are out trying to make a positive change for themselves.

I have often passed, lean fit joggers on the trail who have shouted words of encouragement and it works, I find my self pushing harder after that happens. I will usually pass someone and give them the "keep it up!!" shout as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.