Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-21, 09:01 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Some of the best road riders I have known are able to eat huge quantities of food and then climb hills or hammer the flats. BF member Biker395 is such a rider. We did a ride through the mountains to Wrightwood, the turn around point and lunch stop. It was around 90 miles with 9000+ feet and the steepest climb was after lunch.

He came out of the store with a huge burger and while eating he kept telling us they had a thing called a "Big ass burrito" in the store. After he finished his burger and whatever he had with it he went back in and got the Big ass burrito and promptly inhaled it too. Of course, he was the first up the big climb out of there.
It's very unlikely that he's eating too much - a ride like that is probably going to expend something on the order of 4,000 calories and, when you figure in base metabolic rate, you're looking at ~7000 calories to break even for the day. I find that, on my 80+ mile days, I can't force myself to eat enough to break even. This, though, is a far cry from slow-rollin' 50 miles with pastry breaks every 12 miles or so.
Old 06-04-21, 09:04 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Staying with my sister in Florham Park, NJ. She does not have coffee so I went to DD. I ordered a large and the lady told me they are giving out free donuts today. I chose to be good and said no thank you.

She looked at me in shock.
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-04-21, 09:12 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Staying with my sister in Florham Park, NJ. She does not have coffee so I went to DD. I ordered a large and the lady told me they are giving out free donuts today. I chose to be good and said no thank you.

you didn’t miss much
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 06-04-21, 09:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Hey Velo Vol my musician daughter wants to know if you mean to transpose the entire piece down a note?

She said your question is way too vague. But here is her advice:

yeah i’m just confused if it’s just one note or the whole piece

if they’re playing alone either should be fine

i’d do whichever they are more comfortable with, keeping in mind though that different notes sit differently on trumpet so that could come up if you lower the whole piece by a step

same if they’re talking about just one note, if it fits in the chord it shouldn’t be a problem

if they’re playing with other people then everyone else would also have to change their music which wouldn’t be ideal
Likes For datlas:
Old 06-04-21, 09:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's very unlikely that he's eating too much - a ride like that is probably going to expend something on the order of 4,000 calories and, when you figure in base metabolic rate, you're looking at ~7000 calories to break even for the day. I find that, on my 80+ mile days, I can't force myself to eat enough to break even. This, though, is a far cry from slow-rollin' 50 miles with pastry breaks every 12 miles or so.
Oh I agree but pigging out on those short rides can be fun. I was in Solvang, a tourist town north of here, and 3 of us went into Svenhard's Bakery for coffee and a Danish. They bring a tray with a dozen of the things fresh from the oven and leave a pot of coffee. They were so good I had 2 and my other friend had 2 which left 8 for Mike and he finished all 8. We left there and Mike sought out every steep hill he could find and dropped us on each of them. Of course, he was riding over 20K miles per year then.
Old 06-04-21, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts

I cannot remember the last time I had a donut from anywhere.

When I go to the Reading Terminal I see a good number of people with boxes of Beiler's. Some of them have the lids open and are eating them while they walk around.

Our Doughnut Menu | Beiler's Doughnuts (beilersdoughnuts.com)
Old 06-04-21, 09:31 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28621 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I drove 60 miles on Memorial Day in a storm that dumped 2 to 4 inches in a matter of hours, all the while driving at 55 - 70 mph in the Jeep. If that's not normal speeds, I'm not sure what is.
55 on the interstate is normal?

A few days ago I was mocked for going 55-60. So it goes.
Old 06-04-21, 09:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
The first organized ride I ever did (in 1988) was 50 miles. 50 was the only option but I don't remember how many rest stops there were. My friend who I met on the MUP signed us up and suggested we train for it by climbing some hills. We did and that was a good thing because there was a climb in the first part of the ride. I was shocked to see people walking the hill or sitting on the side of the road.
The first organized ride I ever did was something called the "Tour de Peninsula", where the LONG ride was about 30 miles. It wasn't intended for serious cyclists, but more for those folks who drag a bike out and ride on the pedway on Sunday, or around here drive their bike over to Canada Road on Sundays. There were a couple climbs that to me were SERIOUS hills, and yeah, a lot of folks were walking up those. A year or so later, I was using those climbs for hill intervals.

This was in the first year after I started riding as a grownup, so about 1995 or so. And I had not ridden that far yet. It seemed an enormous distance, partly because the longest ride I'd ever done as a teenager was 30 miles. I was exhausted by the end of the ride! It felt like a major accomplishment!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-04-21, 09:36 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Hey Velo Vol my musician daughter wants to know if you mean to transpose the entire piece down a note?

She said your question is way too vague. But here is her advice:

yeah i’m just confused if it’s just one note or the whole piece

if they’re playing alone either should be fine

i’d do whichever they are more comfortable with, keeping in mind though that different notes sit differently on trumpet so that could come up if you lower the whole piece by a step

same if they’re talking about just one note, if it fits in the chord it shouldn’t be a problem

if they’re playing with other people then everyone else would also have to change their music which wouldn’t be ideal
Playing with the piano, but the music is in a program and I could go down a couple steps with just a few clicks.

It's more than one note. Quite a few times at the top of my comfort range. Toward the end I start to get tired.

Basically boils down to what I said earlier: going big, or playing it safer.

Another Velo Vol dilemma.
Old 06-04-21, 09:37 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Oh I agree but pigging out on those short rides can be fun. I was in Solvang, a tourist town north of here, and 3 of us went into Svenhard's Bakery for coffee and a Danish. They bring a tray with a dozen of the things fresh from the oven and leave a pot of coffee. They were so good I had 2 and my other friend had 2 which left 8 for Mike and he finished all 8. We left there and Mike sought out every steep hill he could find and dropped us on each of them. Of course, he was riding over 20K miles per year then.
I had that exact same experience at Svenhard's! Except, I wasn't on a bike and I might have had three.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 06-04-21, 09:39 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
55 on the interstate is normal?

A few days ago I was mocked for going 55-60. So it goes.
In the situation I was in I would call that normal since the times at 55 mph were due to traffic congestion. When free to roam, we were at 60-70.
Old 06-04-21, 09:47 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Personally, I think the black tape balances the visual. White tape would throw off the balance of the color scheme. If they did white saddle, post, stem and bar tape, then you might be on to something.
Yeah, the original definitely needed a white saddle, and a silver stem.

I concur that if the heritage livery one had white tape, white stem and saddle would also be in order - white hoods and headset spacers too.
Old 06-04-21, 09:48 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I cannot remember the last time I had a donut from anywhere.
Been a while for me too. I might be done with donuts. sad.
Old 06-04-21, 09:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Speaking of which, I haven't posted a picture of my new cockpit, in part due to photo woes, but also due to my reluctance to trigger coveting and ruing.

You're welcome.
Either you don't want us to see the lousy job you did taping, or you don't want us to see that you took our advice and it worked.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-04-21, 09:52 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
If I recall from my days doing the Solvang Metric and a road races in the area, ALL the hills out there are steep.
Old 06-04-21, 09:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Also cannot remember my last slice of pizza. I need to get to change that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-04-21, 09:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Donuts are natures most perfect food, in the sense that it has everything nature tells you to eat as much of as you can possibly get, because our ancestors rarely got so much of any of those. That's my hypothesis anyhow, that humankind never evolved an off switch for cravings for starch, sugar, and fat.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-04-21, 10:03 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
Either you don't want us to see the lousy job you did taping, or you don't want us to see that you took our advice and it worked.
Or took your advice and still did a lousy job. The possibilities are endless.
Old 06-04-21, 10:03 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

In the situation I was in I would call that normal since the times at 55 mph were due to traffic congestion. When free to roam, we were at 60-70.
Maybe you're an unsafe driver? The roads are filled with maniacs.

I might be done with donuts. sad.
Not really, they're overrated.
I did wrap the tops backwards because I don't think it's possible to wrap that kind of tape the proper direction.
Old 06-04-21, 10:04 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8843 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,738 Posts
Playing with the piano, but the music is in a program and I could go down a couple steps with just a few clicks.

It's more than one note. Quite a few times at the top of my comfort range. Toward the end I start to get tired.

Basically boils down to what I said earlier: going big, or playing it safer.

Another Velo Vol dilemma.
it's not easy being Vol.
Old 06-04-21, 10:05 AM
big john

The first organized ride I ever did was something called the "Tour de Peninsula", where the LONG ride was about 30 miles. It wasn't intended for serious cyclists, but more for those folks who drag a bike out and ride on the pedway on Sunday, or around here drive their bike over to Canada Road on Sundays. There were a couple climbs that to me were SERIOUS hills, and yeah, a lot of folks were walking up those. A year or so later, I was using those climbs for hill intervals.

This was in the first year after I started riding as a grownup, so about 1995 or so. And I had not ridden that far yet. It seemed an enormous distance, partly because the longest ride I'd ever done as a teenager was 30 miles. I was exhausted by the end of the ride! It felt like a major accomplishment!
My second organized ride was a century called "Tour de Turkey" because it was around Thanksgiving. I had only done 75 miles once and I was sick during the ride and I was coughing the whole time. I was miserable and didn't think I could finish, it didn't seem humanly possible to me. The ride was flat, about as flat as anything I've done and I eventually finished. At least then I knew it was possible.
My second century was the Solvang Century in 1989. It was freezing at the start and I broke a spoke on Santa Rosa road and when I stopped to look at it I almost fell down because my feet were so numb. I was using clips and straps. I finished without further incident and went back 8 more times for the century.
Old 06-04-21, 10:16 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Eric F
If I recall from my days doing the Solvang Metric and a road races in the area, ALL the hills out there are steep.
All the hills close to town seem to be steep. On the century route, the one people remember is "The Wall" on Foxen Canyon.
Old 06-04-21, 10:40 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by DougRNS
it's not easy being Vol.
DougRNS is starting to get it.

There's hope for all of you.
Old 06-04-21, 10:41 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Time for lawn mowing activities.

Strava not available.
Old 06-04-21, 10:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
All the hills close to town seem to be steep. On the century route, the one people remember is "The Wall" on Foxen Canyon.
It's been a very long time, but I still remember "The Wall" pretty vividly, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.