Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record with a long cage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campagnolo Record with a long cage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-22, 09:42 AM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
That outer parallelogram arm is bent!
Interesting. never noticed that, it works perfectly! This is on a bike that is super original. It just adds character.
Old 09-27-22, 09:58 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Have you priced them?
I wonder if the Record would fetch enough to pay for one. Not that I'd ever part with a Record.

Old 09-27-22, 10:13 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Last time I was in San Francisco’s American Cyclery, they had a couple of the soma long cages for sale in their glass case.
Likes For Robvolz:
Old 10-06-22, 07:59 AM
ToniH. 

Bikes: 66' Rene Herse, 75' Alex Singer, 80' Routens Touring, custom Rivendell, Miyata 600GT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Rally came 10 years after this bike was made. Not a bad choise though. It has the same spirit.
Likes For ToniH.:
Old 10-06-22, 11:23 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by ToniH.
Hello,

I’m converting a racing bike from 66 to a 650b randonneur. It has fully campagnolo parts and I was thinking that it would be nice to keep it as far as possible like that.

I know that campagnolo nuovo record can be converted in to a longcage with a cage from rally. But would the same cage work on earlier record derailleur?

or are there some other longcage derailleurs from 66 or earlier?

I have a huret jubilee as a back up plan, but its bit too new…

thanks!
I'd be wary of building a rando or other bike for dedicated long use (training up for 200 mile rides and then riding them) using Huret Jubilee components. They have a reputation for fragility, and I broke a front mech.

It doesn't sound like you are interested in indexing (and for a traditional build I also would not go there) so I would look at a few old things for wide(r) range. I believe these are all very robust parts. One is a Campagnolo Gran Turismo. They are heavy and not reputed to work well, but Schwinn put them on Paramounts in the early days. Another would be the Huret DuoPar, which is one of my favorites of all time, and most Huret fronts can handle a wide range. Simplex in the day made metal front derailleurs actually intended for triples and wide-range doubles. Among other derailleurs are the Huret (or Schwinn-marked Huret) Allvits, which came in what look like medium cage to short cage. Back in my high school days I tried to get one of two Allvits working well for my buds and failed. But now more than 50 years later I'm a better mechanic, so maybe I could clean one up and get it to work right. You could look for a long-cage Allvit. One thing about Allvits is that it is pretty hard to bend any of its parts, so with clean oiled pivots and spring points without excessive play, it should be possible to restore the function. Frank Berto talks about them and about contemporary metal Simplexes.

If you're looking to get very wide freewheels such as 13/38 to work, you're probably dreaming without modern rear derailleurs and freewheel teeth. But I'm sure a 13/32 5 speed will work well (certainly with a Duopar), and a 48/30 in front might be workable. Late '60s Peugeot UO-8s were pretty commonly in the stores with 52/36 and 14/28. For vintage setups like these, the choice of chain was important for smooth shifting.
Old 10-06-22, 12:52 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
This seems like a really good application for a Suntour Cyclone GT.

The shifting would certainly be a lot better than anything Campagnolo had to offer from that same era. (And for anyone asking - I have a Nuovo Record with a long-cage, and the shift quality is terrible.)

The Record can then be removed and used as a paperweight - or used to restore any vintage race bike with corncob gears in back.