Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 10:49 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
(and now, the thrilling conclusion)

Made it to Yarnell, and a nice lunch at the Ranch House Cafe.

Interesting 4-wheeler parked out on the side...

And now, the descent. We weren't worried about getting too much speed with the headwind, but the ripples in the cliffs meant there was quite a bit of variation in the wind, with a lot of side blast on some corners. Still had fun anyway.

About halfway down the hill is the infamous "Elephant Curve" where nearly 100 years ago someone painted an image of a white elephant at the apex of the tightest hairpin curve, and unknown individuals have been keeping it spiffed-up. Leading up to the elephant are a series of reverse curves ending in the aforementioned hairpin, and several unfortunate motorists, motorcyclists, and bicyclists have ended up "kissing the elephant".

Hurtling toward the heffalump

Imagine how much fun this highway was when it was two-way...

Hello, elephant!

After this, a nice coast downhill almost to the finish, and then a short steep climb to the truck which caused my legs to whine "but I thought we were finished working!"

All in all a good day. And what shape am I in? I'll have to say that I did better than last year and should survive El Tour, but Turkey Day is gonna be a challenge. At least I'm forewarned...

And one more stray photo.

Only if it bounces out of our water bottles...

Last edited by RCMoeur; 11-14-23 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-14-23, 03:25 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I remember Yarnell back in the 1970s . There was nothing there except a new Valley National Bank. New housing was just starting up then. Big sign said “ Cleanest air in US”. I was on business so no bike.
Ed
Likes For EddyR:
Old 11-14-23, 06:44 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Went for an 18-mile ride after work - I was able to knock off a little early since I had a 7am call with Singapore today. 61 degrees and it’s getting dark around 4:30.

Since time is short, I’m having to find new routes through the closer suburbs. Lots of brick streets still exist on the North Shore. Sometimes it changes block by block.

The fountain in Kenilworth is shut down for the season. In the summer, the kids like to put bubble bath in there creating a foamy nightmare.

Detail of the fountain.

No idea what the story is here - nice patina.

The artsy+crafty Kenilworth station.

Detail on the Indian Hill bridge - built in 1940.

Finally, some recognition!

Massive retaining wall for the elevated train line.

Old 11-14-23, 07:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
All ways thankful - to post this thread, too

This zero bike proves the proposition - “It’s not about the bike” .

But the day and the road and out-of-doorsness - made it magnificent.

Palisade has a couple of nice mid-ride stops.

The Colorado River meandering. Continuing drought and praying the little boy brings relief this winter.

The canal system providing many residents with untreated water for lawns is essentially dry.

Small, small town USA. Population growth and ‘super-center’ retail growth zones, often bypass Downtown, financially speaking.

Closer-up of the BookCliff Mts ridge line

Being fully acclimated to 4800 ft. elevation doesn’t make the pedaling any easier than it was at sea level.
Old 11-15-23, 05:12 AM
jPrichard10 

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
All you Portlanders will understand when I say my ride today was Boring.

Took the Springwater Trail out to it's terminus and had a coffee at a garden center/cafe. Mulch and espresso, what a combination!

Thought I would take a new trail and make a loop of it, so I checked out the Cazadero for the first time. I haven't swapped over my tires and just have skinny 28s, but they did fine on the hard packed gravel. I had read this trail goes all the way to Eagle Creek, but Google Maps said otherwise. Guess who was right...

Having dead ended just short of the road, I was left with the sad decision to head all the way back to Boring. Unless I could find some way to get on the road that looked so close on the map...

I have learned the hard way that bike-whacking is never the shortcut that it seems. Well, I take it back, I haven't actually learned that lesson because I tried it yet again. A small break in the ferns by the side of the trail and I decided to schlep my Trek through the brake and up to the road on the ridge.

I hadn't gone far when I found a nice path! It switch backed up the hill, which was a godsend since I underestimated (yet again!) how steep the ascent would be. But who knew where the path would lead?

The higher I got, the more concerned I was getting for bumping into some Y'all Qaeda property owner with a gun and a distrust of young Portlanders on bikes. But I successfully avoided death when I topped out onto a nice road with beautiful views of Mt Hood.

From there it was just a white-knuckler of a ride on the shoulder of busy roads during heavy commuter time. But I got to cross some new paths off the map, and Tillstrom road was quite a pretty pedal if you ignore the honking passerbys trying to run you into a ditch.

All in all, a great day to call in sick.
Old 11-15-23, 05:11 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Nice weather today for fall in the 50's and sunny. Took the SS Nishiki for a ride on the bike trail and back roads.

Plenty of snow in places.

Nice clear dry bike path.

Old 11-15-23, 07:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Always grateful to post this thread

edit: ....meanwhile, at a lower elevation but same State....about 60°ish with mostly sunny. Lovely.

Coulda ridden into Downtown Grand Junction with its’ sculptures and walking friendly streets. Used to be bustling, I expect the same but have yet to travel that way. Bigger reasons to be here than cycling, and tranquilly on a warmish day was the goal.

Down by the river, I steered Miyata.

Start of this trail segment is not many miles from home.

Some smallish lakes near the river. Fishing permitted at a couple of them. Cloud reflection in foreground.

The Colorado River

Trees - Dead or Alive

Down by the River

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-15-23 at 11:36 PM.
Old 11-15-23, 10:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
On my way home today, I saw the sun setting on Green Lake Park. It was so beautiful. But I hesitated and missed capturing the real magic of the light by seconds...

Old 11-16-23, 05:34 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
You fellows are posting some outstanding autumn pictures.

It's fun to see them.

Leaves are finally turning around Dallas / Ft Worth.

I got out today for a short ride on a bike I just finished building up after a powdercoat.

It's a 1988 Schwinn Cimarron mtb.

Likes For cooperryder:
Old 11-17-23, 08:07 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
jPrichard10, good call installing the platform pedals. I would not want to do that boonie route in cleats. Composted mulch is a good business to get into right now, especially organic. Organic gardeners need to constantly refresh and ammend the soil.
Old 11-17-23, 08:21 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Wildwood, peaches? That's a surprise. What latitude and elevation are they at?
Old 11-17-23, 08:30 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Classtime
I caught that famous bug last week so this was my first Fall Back ride of the year. Put some plastic fenders on the Grand Jubile for some expected rain next week — and they are silent.

A moment after this stop, a very large dolphin was racing down the beach in about 5 feet of water spending about 1/2 the time in the air. Crazy.

1/2 way home stop, stretch, eat an apple.
Why is it crazy?
Old 11-17-23, 10:28 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Why is it crazy?
I’ve seen plenty of dolphins playing in the waves—surfing. And I’ve see plenty of dolphins porpoising on the outside with their friends heading somewhere. But I’ve never seen one porpoising and racing parallel to the beach on the inside in such shallow water.
Old 11-17-23, 10:53 AM
bharrisonb
FreedomRider

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Sports, 2008 Specialized Sequoia, 2016 Trek Verve 2, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 53 Posts
On the way to Crane Beach, Ipswich, Mass this morning --- here's the view of the Great Marsh from Old Essex Road on the Ipswich / Essex town line.

The Raleigh Sports along Old Essex Road, on the way to Crane Beach. Overlooking the Great Marsh (November 17, 2023)
Likes For bharrisonb:
Old 11-17-23, 12:30 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 535 Posts
Day off work so just did my usual bimble around town, setting off like an intrepid explorer......(out front of the International Maritime Organization)

I go in search of color, natural or man made....

...and seek out signs of life in the concrete jungle....

Avoiding the main roads with some back street cunning.....

...more wildlife as I pass by Hamish Mackie's horses in Goodman's Fields...

...and continuing the horse theme I find 2 sculptures a few miles along the river in Whittington Gardens, named after former Lord Mayor of London, Dick Whittington, also famous in English folklore for his cat and star of many a pantomime. He is buried in the church next door. The sculptures are copies of Duilio Cambellotti's horsemen called 'Magister Equitum' and were gifted by the Italian President on a state visit in 2005.

I have to say I find them rather ominous looking, and if I was gifted them by an Italian mafia Don for example, I don't think I'd sleep soundly and would expect to be sleeping with the fishes soon.

I then weave up to London Fields for a picture of the flower sellers sculpture, London's famous flower market at Columbia Road is not far away....

I particularly like the pebble sheep at the front right, which are included as sheep were grazed here in London Fields for centuries on the way to Smithfield livestock market, which has been a meat market for over 800 years making it one of the oldest markets in London.

I finish off with a color check on the Admiralty Citadel, my 4th visit in 4 weeks. I think this is peak red, but I'll swing by next week to see if it can muster anything redder.
Old 11-17-23, 12:54 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Sonic with the fam!

Old 11-17-23, 02:44 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,405 Times in 1,206 Posts
Spent the afternoon playing in the woods with my new-to-me Cherubim Sportif

Old 11-17-23, 10:09 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Spent the afternoon playing in the woods with my new-to-me Cherubim Sportif

Hawt!!!!!!!!!!
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 11-17-23, 10:37 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Explored around UW today.

Graced with perfect sweater weather the last couple days. High 40s, still, and clear. Barely breaking a sweat. Now if the sun would stay up there past 4:30pm, we'd be set.
Old 11-18-23, 11:06 AM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
No stress

Nice relaxing 22 miles in the northeast. Windy but nice 62 F allowing to ride with shorts on.Sorry about the non drive side pic.
Old 11-18-23, 01:53 PM
botty kayer

Bit soggy in London today, I decided to go to Holland Park as the Kyoto garden always has great colors at this time of year. On the way I stop for a pic by statue called 'moments contained' by Thomas Price outside the V&A Museum.

And another pic outside the rather nice building of the Royal College of Organists, just opposite the Royal Albert Hall.

Kensington High Street was very busy with Saturday shoppers, with stores already peddling their Christmas wares, so its a welcome contrast and relief moments later to get into Holland Park, where its easy to forget you're in the middle of a city of millions on a Saturday afternoon.

It even has exotic birds of paradise wandering around, though this one looks like his get up and go got up and left....

He's off to write a letter to his agent reminding him he is a bird of paradise, and there's obviously been a huge mistake as London in November does not meet that criteria.

The Kyoto Garden might not be as warm as paradise, but has a color array as impressive as the peacock's.

And on my way home I stop for a pic at a cabbie's tea hut, one of only a dozen or so remaining. They are protected buildings now, and have been going for over 100 years serving cheap food and drinks to London's Black Cab drivers. Uber drivers and members of the public are not allowed, so I've got to head back home to make my own tea.
Old 11-18-23, 03:03 PM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I did not know what a Black Cab driver was. I looked it up and I see that many have gone electric. Very nice pictures.
Ed
Likes For EddyR:
Old 11-18-23, 03:12 PM
botty kayer

Originally Posted by EddyR
I did not know what a Black Cab driver was. I looked it up and I see that many have gone electric. Very nice pictures.
Ed
Thanks Ed.

Yes that's an electric Black Cab in the last pic, the Congestion Charge and the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) tax is forcing the traditional diesel Black Cabs off the road.
Old 11-18-23, 09:43 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Did a little ride with nearly 10,000 of my friends - El Tour de Tucson.

Today, I performed Bike Patrol duties, riding untimed and unplaced while providing mechanical, first aid, and other support to the two-wheel throngs. I was riding my mid-90s Nashbar Flashback cruiser, and a pair of panniers stuffed with medical items, tools, a spare 700C tire, and oodles of tubes. Along with the stereo on the rear rack and the front baskets for dropped bottles and other items. Plus the secret weapon - the Ridekick trailer to help scoot the whole happy mess along.

Old aluminum in front of older aluminum

The clouds made for dramatic scenery amid the rugged mountains- when they weren't drenching us all. But the temps were near 70, so the rain wasn't all bad. The gusting headwinds, though...

Today's tally: helped fix 11 flat tires, cleared 3 water bottles, 5 cones, and a large sign out of the riders' way, replaced a ripped 700C tire, installed a temporary spoke (on a Chicago-forged Varsity), dealt with a dead shifter battery, reinstalled a fancy bottle cage with a zip tie, and cleaned up after a big pack crash where faster and slower riders merged with less-than-optimal results.

Ouch.

And if I'm out there to fix flats, then by golly if I'm going to get a flat myself you bet I'm going big. Went right through the tread, protection layer, cords, Spinskin, both sides of the tube, and partially into the rim tape back out the sidewall near the bead (discovered the second bulge at post-ride inspection).

Meanwhile, my 35-year-old truck was also out on the course as a sag driven by a Rusty Spoke colleague, carrying 3 bikes on the front rack, 5 on the rear rack, and whatever mix of bodies and bikes fits in the middle.

Got in to the finish after a full day with only 55 miles under my wheels, but got a lot done for all those folks riding hard (or not so hard) to raise money for worthy causes.

And then my traditional post-ride celebratory dinner - a big ol' steak and its friends.

Let's do it again next year! After some rest...

Bonus C&V content: I saw several classic bikes mixed in with all the the carbon fiber - the aforementioned Varsity, a couple iridescent Kleins, some first-generation MTBs in near-showroom condition with street tires, and a 60s 3-speed complete with Wald front basket.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 11-19-23 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-18-23, 11:43 PM
bironi
bironi

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
On my way home today, I saw the sun setting on Green Lake Park. It was so beautiful. But I hesitated and missed capturing the real magic of the light by seconds...

I rode by that Green Lake gym/pool for many years. To the left is a public outdoor basketball court where Shawn Kemp would draw a crowd to play a pickup game with the locals when he was a star with the Sonics.
To the right of the same building, I found ninety some dollars cash on the ground that I pocketed.
I spent that money many times over thinking of the free money windfall I found by luck.
Thanks for the memory spark.
Keep that bike locked, by the looks of the bars width it might fit me well.
Is it a DeRosa?

Last edited by bironi; 11-18-23 at 11:45 PM. Reason: stupidity
Likes For bironi:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.