Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Explain to me the mystique of Miyata please

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Explain to me the mystique of Miyata please

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-22, 08:42 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
So the Triple Cross was outfitted with dreadful Shimano 300LX and 400LX componentry. The rear wheel had been replaced with an equivalent level no named hub/Alex Rims double walled job, the tires (WTB) are in pretty good shape, the shifters had been replaced with some newer, low level 7 speed integrated brake/trigger lever units that with some lube and clean came right up to snuff. The headset is in not the greatest condition but since I don't have anything to replace it with, it got a lube and adjustment. The BB was destroyed, a Shimano cup 'n cone unit, so I replaced it with a sealed cartridge piece I had. All the parts that got replaced came from my parts bins, so all these upgrades cost nothing so far.

And now for the stem. I know the color is hideous, and I had considered rattle canning it black, but I'm afraid even if I did a decent job, in time it'll get all scratched up and look worse than it does now. It does put the bars an appropriate distance from the saddle, but they are a bit lower than I'd like. Riser bars can help with that but I'm fresh out. Maybe a trip to the Collective will cough up a decent stem.... I thought the bar ends could give him a different hand position for comfort. Plus I think straight bars look stupid without them.
So I just need to cable and chain it up, tune it in, and he'll be set.

When my brother in law started asking about bikes, he basically said he wanted "the Honda Accord of bikes", one that would be durable, efficient, comfortable, and last him long enough to get into shape enough he could justify buying something a little more flashy. I immediately thought a vintage hybrid fit the description to a tee. Hopefully this old Miyata will rise to the occasion.
Old 09-05-22, 10:26 AM
TeeSquare

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Bridgestone MB-1, Miyata Triple Cross, Surly Pugsley, Miyata 916, C Roberts Touring, Fuji Touring Series IV, Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 8 Posts
I replaced everything on mine except the seatpost.
Old 09-05-22, 11:17 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 1,765 Posts
It's not about mystique, it's about quality control. Miyata has mastered the art (science, really) of building bikes exactly to specifications. All of them.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-05-22, 11:37 AM
Markoshawn

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure what it is.

Quality of finish for sure. Plus my 512 just seems so eager to go! I would ride it a lot more if it fit me better. It's a 60cm and just a bit too big. It has 600 tri color on it.
Old 09-05-22, 01:09 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
If I were restricted to only one bike it would be my somewhat-modified Triplecross:

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-09-22, 08:36 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 261 Posts
A trip to the bicycle collective and we now have a more appropriate stem:

Cabled up; just need a chain. This is starting to become something. Hopefully the brother in law will like it!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 11-20-22, 11:36 PM
ciclistanato

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to reply with a few photos of some fine Miyata products, but I need to write 10 posts before I can upload.
They are all great bikes :

1981 Team Miyata
1982/83 Pro Miyata
1982 Koga Miyata Gentsracer Aeroluxe
1983 Miyata 1200
1985/86 Team Miyata
1987 Miyata 710
1988 Miyata 312
1989 MIyata Triple-cross
1992 Miyata Alumicross

It's a good habit and I have managed to get a dozen other friends to get some steel ones too - a few orange 912s, Pros, team models

some pics on instagram @nonchalantpedaler