Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is standing while biking bad or good?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Is standing while biking bad or good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-21, 12:52 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,814 Times in 3,321 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Not just a good idea. It should be mandatory:
https://road.cc/content/feature/how-...brittle-261478
Cycling is unfortunately a non weight-bearing exercise, and as such could lead to bone loss. So we need to consciously stand up and pedal every chance we get. Jumping is also a good bone loading exercise. So if you can bunny hop while standing- even better!
It's not cycling that leads to bone loss. It's not ever doing anything else that might subject you to some resistance or impact.

But a nice article for reading no matter which way one thinks about it.
Old 09-07-21, 02:55 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's not cycling that leads to bone loss. It's not ever doing anything else that might subject you to some resistance or impact.
Unfortunately that is not true, it does lead to bone loss. From the road.cc article:
Another recent study(link is external) compared recreational riders (training 3-8hrs a week) and trained male road cyclists (training more than 8hrs a week) and found, "Areal bone mineral density (aBMD, the bone mineral content divided by the area) is lower in trained male road cyclists compared with recreational, specifically at the hips. Lumbar aBMD is low in both trained and recreational cyclists."
I know this is not a fun subject to broach, but I think it's pretty important that we get up off the saddle and hammer every now and then. And of course mix in weight training into our regimen also.
Old 09-07-21, 03:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
If your tender bits are being crushed when you ride, you need to evaluate your saddle and position. This should not be happening. Not even a little bit.
Old 09-07-21, 03:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
You need a new saddle. Head to your LBS and test ride or get fit for a new one. If that doesn’t do it, you need to see a physician because what you are describing is far from normal. Do self exams or had a physical lately?

Old 09-07-21, 03:26 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Not just a good idea. It should be mandatory: So if you can bunny hop while standing- even better!
It is pretty much mandatory riding a rigid or hardtail through the woods! I bet I spend at least 50% of my time above or behind my saddle. And I wouldn't know how to bunny hop without standing!
Old 09-07-21, 03:37 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Unfortunately that is not true, it does lead to bone loss. From the road.cc article:

I know this is not a fun subject to broach, but I think it's pretty important that we get up off the saddle and hammer every now and then. And of course mix in weight training into our regimen also.
This bone loss thing just keeps getting blown out of proportion. A bit of resistance training and an active lifestyle should keep your bones from wasting away just fine, whatever you do on your bike.
Old 09-07-21, 03:48 PM
DonkeyShow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
I stand for climbs. Thought that was considered normal but this thread has me confused.
Old 09-07-21, 03:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
In general is standing all the time and pedalling while standing a bad or ok? Thanks.,
Standing up when climbing hills or when accelerating from a stop is perfectly fine and it's something that I do that a lot....When I go mountain biking I spend more time standing up on the pedals than sitting down on the saddle.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-07-21, 04:10 PM
Frank S

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Call me in 100,000 years.

The fact is that humans evolved to walk, run, sit, stand, and lie down. Bicycling is a completely unnatural activity. All that we can do is adapt the bicycle to us, and we to it.

Nonetheless, after more than a century, people have learned to make, in most cases, those adaptations. While I personally don't see anything wrong with what you're doing, you might try to better adapt the bicycle to you.

My suggestion is to ride, seated, in some isolated area that is free from distractions. Then, pay strict attention to where any issues arise. Just keep riding and really try to notice what the pressure points are. It could be as simple as adjusting or replacing the seat, or you might have to get some atypical or custom built seat.

Do you use clipless pedals? Is it possible that your feet are naturally splayed outward, but you ride with them parallel to the bike? That would force your knees inward and limit the space available for pieces/parts.
Old 09-07-21, 06:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
don't "stand", "dance" on the pedals
get more watts out of a pounce though.