Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need some type of padding for drop down bars

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need some type of padding for drop down bars

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 07:30 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 2,197 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Iys a time honored tradition for the less polite among us to question setup on this site. And yes, we all fit on a bike differently.
Even still, how do you brake from the drops? That bar angle and lever placement would render the drops useless to me as they are neither level nor is there access to the brakes.
No worries about questioning my set-up. I know it does not work for most folks. Yes, I can brake from the drops and my fingers tend to be a bit short.

Originally Posted by 1964Supersport
Your SS looks really nice, I noticed the position of your bars and brake levers. I'm experimenting with mine before I wrap them with new bar tape.I'm trying to find the position where I can ride comfortably on the hoods but still be able to reach the brake levers if I'm in the drop position.
I'm just a couple of years younger and have some of the same physical issues you've mentioned earlier. I find that I need the bar tops rotated up towards me in order to have a more comfortable wrist position. Experiment with the angle that best suits you. This will of course make the bottom of the drops less flat.

Also, I move the base of the brake levers to the top of the juncture where the tops begin to curve into the drops. This creates a natural place for my hands to rest and braking is easy in this position. When I need to brake from the drops I can slide my hands up to the curve and still reach the levers.

Excuse my poor photoshop skills

You need to take into consideration that my Super Sport is very modified. The stem is from a late '70s early '80s XL Continental. The bars are from '70s era Continental, Super Sport, or Sports Tourer. They are the GB rando bars and my favorite. The levers are late '70s Campagnolo Gran Sport models. All of my cockpit bits are different from your '64 Super Sport.

However, I do own a '64 Continental which probably runs the same bars, stem, and levers. Here's how I set it up, as a comparison to your '64 SS.

(Yes, the fork is bent)

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 09-13-22, 04:42 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I got my left hand crushed in a freight elevator around 10 years ago. Nothing was actually "broken," but I have nerve damage all throughout the hand and wrist. Riding can be OK, or it can be painful- it's just whatever my hand feels like it's going to do. But vibration and bumps do get it angry.

I have the gel pads under my bar tape- the ones I've used are from Planet Bike.

I use the Brooks "microfiber bar tape." It's padded, but not super puffy paddy like a lot of the cork tapes. (I have similar Ritchey bar tape- but I prefer the Brooks).

I use Planet Bike Taurus biking gloves that has an insert that sort of supports and pads the palm.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.