Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How fer did you ride today?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How fer did you ride today?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-23, 05:22 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,016 Posts
Originally Posted by diphthong
really doesn't seem to matter whether running tubeless or tubed...every so often, you're going to have a "i'm just done" ride. recall blowing through 6 (6?!?!) tubes in one ride (thorns-not goatheads-from hell) a few years ago (had 3 spares, begged for another from a passing rider) and ending up
riding (mostly) uphill for 11 miles in the dark with only rear blinkie lights. at least your wife picked you up. i was a 45 min drive from home, made the call of shame for the first time and the lady said "figure it out yourself." let's just say we didn't go out for dinner that night.
LOL.... yep, been there. In the early 2000's I was riding at night a lot of the time as my wife, a nurse working 12 hr shifts, would go to bed early, generally around the same time, my very young kids did. I generally would take off after they were down for the night, 8 to 9. Well one night I took off a little late, about 10:45, and I was at the farthest point out in my ride, about 9 miles and I got a flat. Grumble a little, walk to the next light, do the tube changing bit, and off I go, about a tenth of a mile, I flat again. Now I am ticked, check my tire better this time, I do not feel anything in it, put my last tube in, and head back..... like maybe 200 yards later, I flat again. I find a roofing tack in my tire. I look at the time on my computer and realize it is after midnight, I start walking, going about 1 mile and think, man, this is going to be a long walk in these road shoes. I contemplate the rath I am going to get if I call her, versus taking off my shoes and just walking home, as I did not have to work the next day. I start walking, but after a mile or so, I make the call, but continue walking. It was a very quiet ride except for the part when my 6 year old asked what I was doing riding so far away from home? I look at him and said, good question son, good question. It was frosty the next couple of days, but was almost 100 degrees out. I changed to just ride a 12 mile loop that was never more than roughly 2.5 miles from my house at any point after that and would do 2 or 3 loops.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-06-23, 11:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

20 on the trainer with 2500 ft of climbing.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-07-23, 12:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
(mostly) uninspiring 33-spot. a few steep pitches here and there.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-07-23, 10:25 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 345 Posts
31 miles and 4500' of gain. I took the new-to-me "climbing bike" that I built out, because I wanted to see how much I would notice the weight difference on a steep climb(1.6 miles at 12%.) It's much livelier than my "daily driver" disc bike...I got surprised with rain though and had fun with non-existent braking abilities. I got soaking wet and had to deal with 40°ish degree temps.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 11-07-23, 10:26 PM
jaxgtr

Legs were not doing well today, felt like I had 50 lbs of additional weight on each leg, but still did 20 miles and 3500ft of climbing, really slow....

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-07-23, 10:55 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
36-spot. hit a few roads/climbs that i hadn't tackled in 15+ years. still very challenging...they were easier than i remembered but not because i was in great shape today.
it's because i was in great shape then and pushing harder than the lcd pedaling squares style/survival mode of today. c'est la vie. part of me is miffy that i was unable
to go faster. the other part of me is grateful that i'm still able to go up some of these grades-at whatever speed.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 11-07-23, 11:39 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Originally Posted by diphthong
36-spot. hit a few roads/climbs that i hadn't tackled in 15+ years. still very challenging...they were easier than i remembered but not because i was in great shape today.
it's because i was in great shape then and pushing harder than the lcd pedaling squares style/survival mode of today. c'est la vie. part of me is miffy that i was unable
to go faster. the other part of me is grateful that i'm still able to go up some of these grades-at whatever speed.
That's partly why I built the bike above. It's light, but it's mainly to have a bike to run dedicated mountain gearing in the summer(while having "normal" gearing on my other bike.) I ran a 11-40 mtb cassette on the back of my Endurace for the Death Ride this year and it was a game changer. I wouldn't want that gearing all the time, but it's handy when spending all day tackling the big Sierra climbs.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 11-08-23, 06:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
52 miles on a sunny cool day (50* in the sun) with 2000’ gain at 16.5 average. Felt thrashed after. Not enough fuel.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-08-23, 06:45 PM
kevinkay

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Cut it short at 7 miles at 6:30am because I wasn't properly dressed for the cold
Likes For kevinkay:
Old 11-08-23, 07:48 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
52 miles on a sunny cool day (50* in the sun) with 2000’ gain at 16.5 average. Felt thrashed after. Not enough fuel.

Is this photo up on Redmond Ridge?
Old 11-08-23, 07:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Is this photo up on Redmond Ridge?
Yup at Trilogy. Good eye. Nothing like it in the whole area.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-08-23, 11:15 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Yup at Trilogy. Good eye. Nothing like it in the whole area.
Did you climb up Novelty Hill Rd. east bound or west bound? I've come up eastbound off of Avondale Rd numerous times but have never gone the other direction.
Old 11-09-23, 10:47 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Did you climb up Novelty Hill Rd. east bound or west bound? I've come up eastbound off of Avondale Rd numerous times but have never gone the other direction.
I live in the Snoqualmie valley so came up past Carnation Farms, up Union Hill, then crossed over to Avondale and back the same way. When I lived in Redmond I would go up Avondale and Union all the time for hill climbs and go down to the valley on both roads too. I used to climb Avondale from the east, but traffic is just too bad these days so I only descend it these days because I can keep up with the cars.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-09-23, 08:13 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

I live in the Snoqualmie valley so came up past Carnation Farms, up Union Hill, then crossed over to Avondale and back the same way. When I lived in Redmond I would go up Avondale and Union all the time for hill climbs and go down to the valley on both roads too. I used to climb Avondale from the east, but traffic is just too bad these days so I only descend it these days because I can keep up with the cars
Nice route! Yes, a lot more traffic in that area now. I really dislike riding on Avondale especially going northbound. Living on Education Hill, you're bound to ride by there sometime but I try to make it southbound if I have to.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 11-09-23, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Nice route! Yes, a lot more traffic in that area now. I really dislike riding on Avondale especially going northbound. Living on Education Hill, you're bound to ride by there sometime but I try to make it southbound if I have to.
Used to live in Cedar Ridge at the corner of 148th and Redmond Way back in my 30s. My nightly ride was up Education Hill, then down past the high school to Avondale and up Novelty or Union Hill through the valley and up and over Tolt Hill, down 202 toward Redmond but cut up to Ames Lake, then Union Hill back to Redmond. It was one heck of a workout.

Couldnt do that nightly now if I had to - unless it was VERY leisurely with no time limit.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-09-23, 09:48 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
No ride today, just a one hour, easy run, but I did get my new Race King rear tire to seat properly by soapy water plus inflating to 80 psi. That’s a lot for a 26x2.20 tire rated to 58 psi, but the rated pressure wasn’t getting the job done.

Anyway, things look good for a ride tomorrow!

Ottk
Likes For ofajen:
Old 11-09-23, 10:34 PM
Sierra_rider

A little shakedown ride on my brand-new XC bike, 2024 Santa Cruz Blur...just 16 miles and 2000' of climbing. This bike is going to be quick. It's longer travel than the typical XC bike and is kinda porky compared to my outgoing XC bike, but it really does a better job of putting the power down to the ground than my old bike.

Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 11-09-23, 11:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
A little shakedown ride on my brand-new XC bike, 2024 Santa Cruz Blur...just 16 miles and 2000' of climbing. This bike is going to be quick. It's longer travel than the typical XC bike and is kinda porky compared to my outgoing XC bike, but it really does a better job of putting the power down to the ground than my old bike.

Congrats. Sweet ride

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-23, 12:30 AM
Sierra_rider

Congrats. Sweet ride
Thanks. I wasn't sure if going with a 120mm XC bike was going to be a mistake, but after today's ride, I have zero regrets about this acquisition. I'm also enjoying the wireless shifting, I think the ability to rapid-fire shifts, will be an advantage in racing scenarios. Now I'm just eagerly waiting for the XC season to start up again.
Old 11-10-23, 06:38 AM
AveCaesarAve

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Titus Roadrunner, Trek Checkpoint, Trek Multitrack 7900s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
One mile exactly - but in the rain and at 5degC, so was not the most pleasant experience
Likes For AveCaesarAve:
Old 11-10-23, 02:58 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by AveCaesarAve
One mile exactly - but in the rain and at 5degC, so was not the most pleasant experience
Ride is a ride.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-10-23, 03:06 PM
jaxgtr

I had a life sucking work based training that I could not get out of for 4 hrs and a 1 hour break in the middle. , So I jump on Rouvy, pulled up Godfather and Godfather II. I got called on once, and someone asked if I had a fan running, I told them my AC was down and it was over 80 outside and the AC people would not be here until this afternoon.

I got in 37 miles and 5.7K feet of altitude gain rode through the break time and once I finished, oh hey, the AC people are here, I will be right back. Took a shower, got some food and then rejoined as they were wrapping up. Then they say, oh this was recorded, so if you want to review it later you can. I was like, yea I will check that out. uh pass.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-10-23, 05:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I had a life sucking work based training that I could not get out of for 4 hrs and a 1 hour break in the middle. , So I jump on Rouvy, pulled up Godfather and Godfather II. I got called on once, and someone asked if I had a fan running, I told them my AC was down and it was over 80 outside and the AC people would not be here until this afternoon.

I got in 37 miles and 5.7K feet of altitude gain rode through the break time and once I finished, oh hey, the AC people are here, I will be right back. Took a shower, got some food and then rejoined as they were wrapping up. Then they say, oh this was recorded, so if you want to review it later you can. I was like, yea I will check that out. uh pass.
Brilliant! Reminds me of my old work from home days.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-23, 06:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Tried to knock off all the Scotland routes on ZWIFT with help of my fascinated 5 YO grandson. He was fascinated by the Ghosts (white pace partners) the animals and catching people. When someone blew by generating unreal watts, he was disappointed I could not ketchup. I told him old people are not quite as fast as young adults, which was a real puzzler.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-10-23, 06:34 PM
Sierra_rider

Originally Posted by jaxgtr

I've been known to skip out on virtual meetings...I usually put opaque tape on my laptop camera and then claim that I'm having tech issues. It's totally believable, at least if I'm at home. I live out in BumF@&%$ Egypt, so everyone assumes that the Hooterville Phone Company is having bandwidth problems.
Likes For Sierra_rider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.