Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 09:23 AM
Brian C.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
more photos of the Humber
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Humber 2 resized.JPG (80.6 KB, 256 views)
humber chainring resized.JPG (72.6 KB, 260 views)
Humber resized.JPG (89.1 KB, 299 views)
Old 06-17-10, 09:37 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian C.
more photos of the Humber
More, please.

What's the date on the hub?
Old 06-17-10, 09:51 AM
Brian C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
More, please.

What's the date on the hub?
It is a '71. The original owner rode it regularly on the boardwalk in Long Beach, NY. It was given to me by his son. BTW those are the original Dunlop white sprite tires, with the original air inside. I did replace the brakes with Kool-Stop Continentals (thanks Via Bicycle in Philly!). I also need to replace the pedal on the drive side, the axle is bent. These pics are from the day I brought it home, I have cleaned it up a little, but I enjoy riding it as is.
Old 06-17-10, 10:18 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
This is a '73 Sports that I just sold. Mostly original, including the "R" cotter nuts and Dunlop tires. My wife rode it a few times but prefers her road bike, so off it went...

Old 06-17-10, 11:41 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
are those clear handgrips??
Old 06-17-10, 03:00 PM
STRAIGHT UP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here are a few more 3 speeds I have, Armstrong, and Raleigh sport,
Attached Images
Picture 543..jpg (96.5 KB, 297 views)
Picture 549..jpg (87.0 KB, 281 views)
Picture 545..jpg (88.8 KB, 278 views)
Picture%20927..jpg (53.6 KB, 283 views)
Picture%20930..jpg (55.7 KB, 286 views)
Picture%20931..jpg (54.7 KB, 280 views)
Old 06-17-10, 07:27 PM
stevegreer
Steel is real

Bikes: 1999 Trek 5500 w/ Campagnolo Record 10

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some beautiful bikes in this thread! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-17-10, 07:48 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Originally Posted by mickey85
are those clear handgrips??
Close, they were translucent gold grips from Hunt-Wilde. I believe they were on this bike when I bought it...

Last edited by Chris_in_Miami; 06-17-10 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 07:54 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Originally Posted by STRAIGHT UP
Here are a few more 3 speeds I have, Armstrong, and Raleigh sport,
That Sports has buckets of character, it looks like a real road warrior!
Old 06-17-10, 08:55 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Speaking of 3 speed love...check out what I caught these guys doing!!!

The Raleigh is definitely slumming it. She's got new shellacked cork grips, a new Pletscher and basket, new Delta Cruiser tires, and has been as buffed and polished as absolutely possible. On top of that, in a month she's getting a new B67s. Meanwhile the Phillips is wearing Wal Mart tires, plastic grips, and a Minnehaha that I bought on sale. craziness.
Old 06-18-10, 07:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Speaking of 3 speed love...check out what I caught these guys doing!!!

"The Lady and the Tramp" eh?
Old 06-21-10, 09:21 PM
warwick.hoy

Bikes: Some old Phillips I'm looking for info on. Hopefully a Marin Hybrid sometime soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of beautiful bikes in this thread.

Sorry for going on a posting spree. The longer I own this bike the more I love it. I think I have a 70's Phillips (Raleigh) with an AW 3 speed hub. It's definitely a fun ride.

I've noticed the same chrome fender ornament on some Raleigh Superbes.

It's certainly not all original. I replaced the hard as a rock cheapie saddle with a new Masi leather saddle. I put a set of inexpensive lights on it just so I don't get hassled by the police should I get caught after dusk. I know there are better and brighter lights out there and I'll upgrade when I get a more modern bike (I'm saving up for a hybrid).

Hopefully you all aren't tired of seeing it,...I love this bike and enjoy sharing.

Last edited by warwick.hoy; 06-21-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 10:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
We love English three speeds and pictures of them. Look at the title of this thread. Feel free to post more any time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-21-10, 10:27 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Still enjoying the old girl... the cork got a few coats of clear shellac as white is only good for pictures and the frame also got a few coats of clear to protect the frame.

Also found some very cool bags...

Old 06-21-10, 10:48 PM
warwick.hoy

Bikes: Some old Phillips I'm looking for info on. Hopefully a Marin Hybrid sometime soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Still enjoying the old girl... the cork got a few coats of clear shellac as white is only good for pictures and the frame also got a few coats of clear to protect the frame.

Also found some very cool bags...

Where can one source those kinds of bags? I'm especially interested in the one hanging from the saddle but I'm not aware of the technical term for googling purposes.

Last edited by warwick.hoy; 06-21-10 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-21-10, 10:51 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The seat bag is a modern one made of Cordura with a Norco tag I plan to remove... would like to make one from the same canvas as the other bags and perhaps make a handle bar bag to boot.
Old 06-21-10, 10:56 PM
warwick.hoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seat bag is a modern one made of Cordura with a Norco tag I plan to remove... would like to make one from the same canvas as the other bags and perhaps make a handle bar bag to boot.
Okay,...seat bag got it. Lastly,...you mention shellacing the cork,...this refers to the grip material on the handlebars? Pardon my noob questions.
Old 06-21-10, 11:07 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by warwick.hoy
Okay,...seat bag got it. Lastly,...you mention shellacing the cork,...this refers to the grip material on the handlebars? Pardon my noob questions.
Shellac is pretty old school and is typically used with cloth tape to prolong it's life and make it waterproof and easy to clean but works quite well on cork too.
Old 06-21-10, 11:12 PM
warwick.hoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shellac is pretty old school and is typically used with cloth tape to prolong it's life and make it waterproof and easy to clean but works quite well on cork too.
Thanks,...I'm learning as I go and I think I want to pull the plastic "Daisy" grips off my bars and wrap them. All these ideas running around my head and I've only had my bike for 24 hours. Cork seems like it's a nice compromise between leather and cloth. I'm wondering if I should try with cloth as a beginner though.

EDIT: I think I realized that bar tape is more appropriate for drop bars. I'm still in the market for replacement grips.

Last edited by warwick.hoy; 06-22-10 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 10:53 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newfound-Elan

Found this one yesterday :-)

'73. Tips the scales at 15.9kg [34.7lb] All I did was put the salmon KoolStops on (qu'el difference THAT made!) Haven't even brought a rag to it yet. All original tyres, cables & everybit. I suspect it may not have met it's first raindrop yet...

Shifts like a dreeem. Just the AW keeps calling out "Ineedapint-Ineedapint-Ineedapint-Ineedapint-Ineedapint-Ineedapint-Ineedapint-Ineedapint..."

Old 06-22-10, 10:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
A fine specimen! How did you find it?

Of course, we don't see CCM's here very often. I don't think they were ever sold here in the states. That's one of the nicest I've seen.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-22-10, 11:16 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by warwick.hoy
Thanks,...I'm learning as I go and I think I want to pull the plastic "Daisy" grips off my bars and wrap them. All these ideas running around my head and I've only had my bike for 24 hours. Cork seems like it's a nice compromise between leather and cloth. I'm wondering if I should try with cloth as a beginner though.

EDIT: I think I realized that bar tape is more appropriate for drop bars. I'm still in the market for replacement grips.
You can use bar wrap on upright bars, it's just thinner and not as padded as grips. If you're looking for upright bar grips, I use Dimension Cork grips on my 3-speed, which have been shellacked by the same method by which you shellack cork tape. Cork grips are fantastic.
Old 06-22-10, 01:13 PM
warwick.hoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider

Of course, we don't see CCM's here very often. I don't think they were ever sold here in the states. That's one of the nicest I've seen.
A hockey jersey bike,...that's awesome.

Originally Posted by Maddox
You can use bar wrap on upright bars, it's just thinner and not as padded as grips. If you're looking for upright bar grips, I use Dimension Cork grips on my 3-speed, which have been shellacked by the same method by which you shellack cork tape. Cork grips are fantastic.
Thanks for the tip,...I'm actually really interested in a set of cork grips.
Old 06-22-10, 01:28 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by noglider

In Canada bikes like this grow like summer wheat and are almost a nuisance...
Old 06-22-10, 01:35 PM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Out and about in breakup

I was staggering along the riverbank around dawntime and suddenly a Nymph arose from the swirling floods, slowly drawing this gleeming machine from beneeth her cloke; she held it aloft just as the sun burst atop the far bank, and intoned: "By divine providence, you have been chosen to ride this macheene for 1st July Parade." Her voice had a certain je-ne-sais-quois, like a North Winnipeg lilt, with overtones of Nottingham and Charlottetown. Well that's what I told the fellows at the pub. The truth may lie somewhat closer to a nice fellow with grey stubble and a Kijiji advert; Craigslists here being mostly a non-entity as far as bykes go. I didn't mention the seller fending off whining hopeful buyers on the 'phone while I made halfhearted pretenses of being non-plussed by the machine's remarkably unaltered state. Then the haggling began.

But is the CCM a shining example of 20th century youthful national pride, or a cobbled-jumble of post imperial bits propped up by protectionist tariffs? I like the domestic chainring, and the way the chainguard kisses the downtube. The AW hub doesn't hurt. What about the joints in the rims? You can feel them under your hands when braking, giving a measure of RPMs. They left grinder marks that show through the chroming. Shoddy work, or a hand-made piece crafted by countrymen that can never be replicated by all the CNC machinery the West Pacific has to offer? At any rate, it's billetted under a roof here, and won't be out and about in breakup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.