Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 09:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Yeah, who knew?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-11, 09:40 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
My neighbor bought us a bunch of shower caps. They fit the seat great and they look way better than the bread bags I've been using.
Likes For sailorbenjamin:
Old 04-16-11, 10:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Good idea. I imagine I can get them at Walgreens.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-16-11, 11:20 PM
nick22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
brake lever up-grade

noglider et al,

Sorry for confusing the issue about the north road bars. They are 22.2 mm and modern mountain bike-type (tektro) levers will work. The ends on my bars are a bit flared, so the typical mountain bike lever does not slide on smoothly; I should have measured before commenting. nick (still learning)
Old 04-16-11, 11:23 PM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are also now "shower caps" made of plastic wrap to cover a bowl of leftover food for the refrigerator, which might double as a rain cover for a saddle.
Old 04-17-11, 12:47 AM
snarkypup

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Sports: The Root Beer Bomber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have something called a BikeCap on the Raleigh. Got it at the Dutch Bike Co. in Seattle for around $15. It's a stretchy cover that hooks around the rails on your bike. You put it on when it rains, and tuck it under the saddle when you're riding. Very cute, and better than forgetting to bring a plastic bag. Picks on rideblog:

https://rideblog.files.wordpress.com/...011ride141.jpg

Tucked in and nearly invisible:
https://rideblog.files.wordpress.com/...92011ride2.jpg

I like it.
Old 04-17-11, 01:05 AM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you leave a plastic bag on too long, the leather will rot.
Old 04-17-11, 12:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Ooh, good stuff. And thanks for the clarification, Nick.

Old 04-17-11, 01:22 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
By bags usually CVS, Walgreens, A&P....they're freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Not to worry Mike, the bag only goes on if I'm away from the bike for a prolonged period of time and there is a chance for rain. The bottom is not secure so it breathes a bit.
Old 04-18-11, 04:28 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Shower caps are good, I get mine free from the hotels I stay in. Target bags are some the best ones out there, heavier than the average fare you get from other stores.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-18-11, 08:56 AM
planetirving

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
First off, Raleigh chrome of that period is WONDERFUL! Second only to Schwinn in quality. An oxalic acid solution will clean up all the chrome completely and easily - just budget 24 hours for each dipping.
Hi, Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the oxalic acid: can I use a heavy duty plastic container to do the soaking?
Thanks!
Old 04-18-11, 09:18 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
A Rubbermaid storage tub works well.

It's nice to get the larger/longer size so that the wheel fits into it without distorting the container and the entire handlebars fit in.

Don't let the hubs get into the dip.

Depending on the size of the container you can get the entire rim in about 3 turns of the wheel. A fender should fit inside as well with one dip if you bring the water level up a bit. The frame, if bad, can be dipped in in chunks as well. Usually the rust in limited to the headset, BB, top of seat tube, and rear triangle and the areas that are hard to dip in the middle are never very rusty and can be de-rusted by hand if there are any nicks or scratches that caused rust. Most of the time you can forgo frame dipping altogether.
Old 04-18-11, 09:30 AM
neocaligatio

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by planetirving
Hi, Thanks for the information. I was wondering about the oxalic acid: can I use a heavy duty plastic container to do the soaking?
Thanks!
I asked the same thing here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...uick-questions

The short answer appears to be: yes

Although I saw a pic today on another thread of a bike frame being soaked in an actual bathtub.... is that safe??!?
Old 04-18-11, 09:34 AM
planetirving

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Amesja,
Thanks so much. Sorry for the stupid questions but I am new at this and do not want to mess it up. Does it have to be a rubbermaid brand or can it be any other brand of heavy duty storage tub? Also, the parts are soaked (24 hours?) or just dipped and then left to dry? Should all the metal parts be done or just those that have rust and corrosion? As for the wheels, that is the rims without the tires and tubes, just the spokes and hub?
Thanks again!
Old 04-18-11, 09:50 AM
planetirving

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the reply. This thread was also enlightening:
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-403522.html
Of course, there are those who say over doing it will destroy or damage the thin platting of chrome and then the bike will be down to the steel and brass. Is this a concern with soaking in Oxalic Acid and using extra fine steel wool? Does the same go for wd 40 and wadded up tin foil? Thanks again to all for patience with my ignorance.
Old 04-18-11, 10:12 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Any plastic tub will be fine. You can usually find them cheap at the department store if you can't garbage pick anything.

Something like this.

If it has a top on it that is great to keep any critters from drinking out out of it or getting into it. As far as what kind of plastic, the ones that are more bendy flexible are good because they are less likely to crack and leak -especially if you are doing this outside in the cold, but inside not leaking is good too although I'd be concerned about large quantities of any liquid inside. 20-30 gallons of pure ordinary tap water is a huge mess on the floor inside. I do most of my soaking out back on the porch in the tubs. I've got an old half-gallon peanut-butter jar that I use for small parts inside and a cheap extra-long needle-nose pliers from Harbor freight that I use to fish them back out with.

Chrome can't be harmed with the OA. The stuff is strong. Some cheaper low-quality zinc coatings on old nuts/bolts/fasteners can be totally dissolved by the OA though if left in the dip for too long. What you end up is blackened metal that will polish right back up again if you use compound and/or a wheel although they won't have any future protection against rust/staining. Aluminum alloys are not a good idea in the dip (and there is no reason to dip them anyhow) But I've had decals and painted bits that are totally untouched by the OA.
Old 04-18-11, 10:22 AM
Onegin

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1979 Raleigh Cameo, 1980's Raleigh Rapide Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neocaligatio
I've just picked up a 1977 Raleigh Cameo for my wife - no pics of the bike yet, but here's one she took from the car on the way back:

I think she will love it. I have a 1979 Cameo and it is a wonderful commuter bike - I rode it daily and also took it on many a jaunt through Derbyshire:

Old 04-18-11, 10:28 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Originally Posted by planetirving
Hi, Thanks for the reply. This thread was also enlightening:
https://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-403522.html
Of course, there are those who say over doing it will destroy or damage the thin platting of chrome and then the bike will be down to the steel and brass. Is this a concern with soaking in Oxalic Acid and using extra fine steel wool? Does the same go for wd 40 and wadded up tin foil? Thanks again to all for patience with my ignorance.
Oh, and with OA you won't even need the steel wool. OA will kill any of the brown rust dead. If it is black rust that is deep and pitted the OA will not get it all out but that is "converted rust" anyhow and isn't as cancerous as the brown rust oxide that holds moisture. The deep pitted stuff isn't going to respond to steel wool. About all you can do with that is grind with a dremel tool or hit with rust converter and fill with glazing putty and repaint over it.
Old 04-18-11, 01:01 PM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amesja
Oh, and with OA you won't even need the steel wool. OA will kill any of the brown rust dead. If it is black rust that is deep and pitted the OA will not get it all out but that is "converted rust" anyhow and isn't as cancerous as the brown rust oxide that holds moisture. The deep pitted stuff isn't going to respond to steel wool. About all you can do with that is grind with a dremel tool or hit with rust converter and fill with glazing putty and repaint over it.
My experience with OA is that it zaps brown rust nicely but you better dry off the parts well right after the OA soak. I made the mistake of letting them air dry, and a layer of superficial "flash rust" formed that then had to be steel wooled off.

This led me to conclude that OA is great for moderate to heavy brown rust, but not worth it for light rust since the post-OA flash rust ended up needing to be steel wooled off anyway.
Old 04-18-11, 01:44 PM
w1gfh

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Sports, 1970 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This should really be in the "Where did you ride today?" thread, but I couldn't resist adding a "Redcoat n' Raleigh" shot here from today's Patriot's Day parade.

Old 04-18-11, 01:44 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Me and my Raleigh DL-1 from this weekend-

Recently replaced the original (44-year-old) Brooks B72 with a brand new one.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-18-11, 01:45 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by w1gfh
This should really be in the "Where did you ride today?" thread, but I couldn't resist adding a "Redcoat n' Raleigh" shot here from today's Patriot's Day parade.

Sometimes you just gotta post them in both threads.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-18-11, 01:48 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Originally Posted by sekaijin
My experience with OA is that it zaps brown rust nicely but you better dry off the parts well right after the OA soak. I made the mistake of letting them air dry, and a layer of superficial "flash rust" formed that then had to be steel wooled off.

This led me to conclude that OA is great for moderate to heavy brown rust, but not worth it for light rust since the post-OA flash rust ended up needing to be steel wooled off anyway.
When I pull something out of OA I rinse it off. The OA will leave a film it it isn't washed and/or neutralized. This film is a strong acid because it is no longer diluted by the water that has evaporated away.

I rinse the part off in the sink or with a hose outside. If in the sink I use HOT water and get the part nice and hot and then towel dry. The warm metal will then cause whatever I miss with the towel to evaporate quickly before it rusts. I've found that polishing with mother's polish does a nice job of protecting a part from future rust as it has waxes in it. Sometimes I'll polish again with a heavy auto wax as well. Short of clear-coating the part there isn't much more one can do to keep a bike part from rusting again.

Pulling a part out of OA to just air-dry without neutralizing or washing off the acid isn't a good idea.
Likes For Amesja:
Old 04-19-11, 12:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

When I pull something out of OA I rinse it off. The OA will leave a film it it isn't washed and/or neutralized. This film is a strong acid because it is no longer diluted by the water that has evaporated away.

I rinse the part off in the sink or with a hose outside. If in the sink I use HOT water and get the part nice and hot and then towel dry. The warm metal will then cause whatever I miss with the towel to evaporate quickly before it rusts. I've found that polishing with mother's polish does a nice job of protecting a part from future rust as it has waxes in it. Sometimes I'll polish again with a heavy auto wax as well. Short of clear-coating the part there isn't much more one can do to keep a bike part from rusting again.

Pulling a part out of OA to just air-dry without neutralizing or washing off the acid isn't a good idea.
This information is outstanding. After all I've read about OA here on bikeforums, I wonder why I haven't read this until now!

Likes For noglider:
Old 04-19-11, 08:08 AM
sekaijin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Classic, 1984 Schwinn LeTour, 1998 Gary Fisher Marlin, 1969 Hercules, 1977 Sekai 5000 Superlite, 1993 Koga-Myata TerraLiner, 2013 Trek Farley.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1 this is great info. I was neutrailizing with baking soda, rinsing with cool water, and air drying. Flash rust.

The key new info is hot water and towel dry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.