Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They are spelled - B R A K E S

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

They are spelled - B R A K E S

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-23, 11:23 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Pedantry? What happens when someone starts typing 'brex' for brakes? After all, 'x'='ks', and 'e' in some languages is pronounced like the 'a' in 'brakes'. What happens when a 'brake' breaks, and a writer misspells both words?

We can communicate in writing because of broad agreement on spelling. Take a look at some of the 17th century documents, written at a time when agreement on spelling was a lot less broad than it is today. See how easy it is to read and understand what the authors mean.

Languages change over time. There's no way to stop it. Right now, the changes I can think of are driven by people who are too lazy to write clearly. Oh, yeah - and kids who are pretty creative.
Old 10-01-23, 12:49 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
And I thought this level of pedantry was relegated to C&V or CR. From now on I will use the speed modulators with my ErgoPower controls and the plebs can use their STI levers.
Irregardless…😵‍💫

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-01-23, 04:21 PM
colnago_zuub

Bikes: Colnago C96, Urban Arrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hate when my breaks brake.
Old 10-01-23, 05:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
pedantry? What happens when someone starts typing 'brex' for brakes? After all, 'x'='ks', and 'e' in some languages is pronounced like the 'a' in 'brakes'. What happens when a 'brake' breaks, and a writer misspells both words?

We can communicate in writing because of broad agreement on spelling. Take a look at some of the 17th century documents, written at a time when agreement on spelling was a lot less broad than it is today. See how easy it is to read and understand what the authors mean.

Languages change over time. There's no way to stop it. Right now, the changes i can think of are driven by people who are too lazy to write clearly. Oh, yeah - and kids who are pretty creative.
htfu! :d
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-01-23, 05:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Pedantry? What happens when someone starts typing 'brex' for brakes? After all, 'x'='ks', and 'e' in some languages is pronounced like the 'a' in 'brakes'.
After I saw a rant about calling a singular fork "forks," I decided that they should be called "forx." Not going to adopt "brex" though, that would be silly.