Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon vs alloy wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon vs alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 09:21 AM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I like the look of Zipps and Enves but the math doesn't work for me. My old Trek Paradigm Comps weigh in at 1600 grams and a nice set of carbon wheels might save 200 grams, thats about $10 per gram. Look at HEDs as they sell lighter alloy rims that potentially make the weight savings worth the cost and their quality is first rate. In all honesty if I skipped a few meals I could shave more weight than buying lighter rims. As stated earlier in a post above carbon rims look great but sometimes alloy rims are the better deal.
Likes For N2deep:
Old 12-09-21, 09:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by N2deep
In all honesty if I skipped a few meals I could shave more weight than buying lighter rims.
Do lighter wheelsets come with a chaperone that makes sure that you don't skip any meals?
Old 12-09-21, 11:17 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do lighter wheelsets come with a chaperone that makes sure that you don't skip any meals?
Did you mean "do" or "don't"? Yes, an upgrade wheelset does come with a chaperone that encourages you to skip meals; the problem is that the chaperone leaves after a few rides.

I upgraded from Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. According to Mavic specifications that was a weight loss of just over 300 g, which I could feel on my first few rides. But after I got used to them, I no longer remembered to keep skipping meals every now and then.

I can buy even lighter alloy wheels but at most those are another 100 g less; so I am with N2deep. I also considered carbon fiber wheels but doubt the aerodynamic advantages outweigh the decreased braking performance on a rim brake bike for me.
Old 12-09-21, 11:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Did you mean "do" or "don't"?
I meant what I wrote. It's exceptionally common for someone on BF to criticize or rebut the purchase of a lighter XYZ by trotting out the ol' standbys like:
  • Lose that weight from your body, instead.
  • Only carry one water bottle instead of two.
  • Just take a dump before your ride - hur hur hur!

It doesn't take difficult mental gymnastics to conclude that these "solutions" aren't mutually exclusive - one can buy lighter stuff and still retain their ability (and need) to poop.

I upgraded from Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. According to Mavic specifications that was a weight loss of just over 300 g, which I could feel on my first few rides. But after I got used to them...
That the sensation was normalized doesn't mean that the effect was no longer there.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-09-21, 12:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I upgraded from Mavic Aksium to Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels. According to Mavic specifications that was a weight loss of just over 300 g, which I could feel on my first few rides. But after I got used to them, I no longer remembered to keep skipping meals every now and then.
​​​​
That the sensation was normalized doesn't mean that the effect was no longer there.
​​​​​​Every now and then I ride a loop on my old mediocre wheels, one of my normal routes, and I fall in love with my god wheels all over again.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-09-21, 02:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
... one can buy lighter stuff and still retain their ability to poop.
Can someone tell me how to make this my signature line?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-09-21, 03:11 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Can someone tell me how to make this my signature line?
You'll find it somewhere in your profile / signature settings.

That's BF gold
Old 12-09-21, 03:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

... one can buy lighter stuff and still retain their ability (and need) to poop.
Not if one is too uptight about other slower, less-deserving folk (like me) also buying lighter stuff!
Old 12-09-21, 03:51 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
The bike is very comfortable but feels a bit sluggish compared to my other older road bikes.
Same experience here. I'm riding a fresh Giant TCR with discs and stock wheels. Tires are Conti 5000 clinchers: 28 up front and a 32 in the rear. Bike rides like a farm tractor compared to some of my old bikes. My 1973 Gitane TdF feels more 'responsive' and faster than the Giant. This should be a common experience to older folks who rode on tubulars. New road bikes, even those priced >$5k, are a serious disappointment.

First problem is the discs - not just the 1-2 pound general weight penalty, but that the weight has to be added to the fork and wheels, due to the braking forces involved. So the fork is considerably heavier and less compliant.

Second problem is the clinchers: at least 200 grams per set extra weight due to the inferior clincher (or tubeless - same thing) rim profile. Tubulars rims are inherently lighter and stronger.

Then there is the tire pressure. Sure, 75psi feels plush, but I'm not a fatty, and bottom line is that 23mm tires pumped above 100psi roll a lot faster, both in terms of rolling resistance and more aero. And the big tires and rims are heavy!

You want a fast and responsive bike for the pavement: the ultimate sweet spot is an team-level road bike from about 5 years ago. Rim brakes, tubular carbon wheels, T1000 carbon frame (before it became almost unobtainable) and 23-25mm tires pumped hard. This bike will sing.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 12-09-21, 10:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​

​​​​​​Every now and then I ride a loop on my old mediocre wheels, one of my normal routes, and I fall in love with my god wheels all over again.

Praise the lord!
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-10-21, 09:38 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Thanks everybody for the useful info you provided. I'm a casual rider of 61 years young, do it mostly for pleasure and health. For this year I have about 7,000 km of distance and 66,000 m of climb. I weight about 87 kg, my current tires are Conti 5000 TL 32mm pumped to max (6 bars) pressure. I think I'll stick with my current wheels for now but will try Conti 5000 TL 28 mm when the current tires wear out. And will take a look at other carbon alternatives to have a better perspective.
I'd try lower tire pressure as recommended by the pressure calculator at zipp.com. If you're running tubeless, running lower pressure without pinch flats is an improvement. Also be sure that your pressure gauge is accurate.

I chose fulcrum racing 3 disc brake wheels for my bikes. They're a great value and require no rim strips for tubeless.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-10-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-11-21, 07:23 AM
Technium92

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD13 105 Disc; Raleigh Technium Comp 531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have Orbea Orca carbon bike with SRAM Force eTap AXS and Fulcrum Race 4 wheels. The bike is very comfortable but feels a bit sluggish compared to my other older road bikes. Maybe this is because of heavier disc brakes vs lighter rim ones on the other bikes. Maybe because of 32mm tires with lower pressure vs 25 with higher. I'm wondering would there be a noticeable difference if I upgrade the wheels to carbon like Fulcrum Race Zero? These wheels are quite more expensive - would they be worth it? I'm looking for more sporty ride.
My initial response is this. I switched a while back from 25s to 28s and noticed the ride quality was surprisingly different, almost sticky. At first what I mistook for sluggishness was just really good contact and a softer feel. I can’t imagine how wildly different a 25 and 32 feel back to back, especially if you’ve been on them for a long time, so maybe try a 30 or 28? Heck of a lot cheaper than wheels. Also, do you have data that you’re slower on the Orbea? May just feel that way. I was about a mph faster on 28s compared to 25s though it did feel a little squidgy at first.

However, my additional response is this: if those new wheels are going to make you happy, then I say do it. Enjoy your passion how you choose!
Likes For Technium92:
Old 12-14-21, 11:05 AM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
One thing not specifically mentioned here. The weight savings between carbon and alloy wheels is (usually) all in the rims, which sits very far outboard on the rotating mass scale. 200g in on the bike probably isn't noticeable, but 200g on the rims? Definitely noticeable.

Same goes for lighter tires.

With carbon wheels, you get both a lighter and more aero rim, so it's a win-win. It probably won't make you any faster, but it sure does feel nice and look cool.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 12-14-21, 05:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000
They look cooler.
Agree...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-14-21, 09:35 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​

God wheels, eh? Good float when you're riding through/over standing water?
Likes For Greiselman:
Old 12-14-21, 11:26 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Greiselman
God wheels, eh? Good float when you're riding through/over standing water?
God wheels do not float but provide much better hydroplaning resistance through the parting of standing water.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-14-21, 11:34 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
This is why I don't proof read. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-15-21, 03:07 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
6 bar on a 32 mm tire?? Way over inflated unless you are on glass smooth roads.

Try 4 bar. Then, try 5 bar.
Old 12-15-21, 05:35 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Find a bike shop that will let you road test some higher end wheels, see if you can tell the difference. Whenever differences are "quantified" by terms like sluggishness, responsiveness, twitchiness, etc I think that is the only way to go.
Old 12-15-21, 10:32 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
One thing not specifically mentioned here. The weight savings between carbon and alloy wheels is (usually) all in the rims, which sits very far outboard on the rotating mass scale. 200g in on the bike probably isn't noticeable, but 200g on the rims? Definitely noticeable.

Same goes for lighter tires.

With carbon wheels, you get both a lighter and more aero rim, so it's a win-win. It probably won't make you any faster, but it sure does feel nice and look cool.
I compared a BTLOS carbon rim to a common DT Swiss alloy rim and found that they weigh about same, around 450g. Deep profile carbon rims weigh 80-90g more, per rim. You're supposed to assume that the aero advantage outweighs the increased rim weight.
Old 12-15-21, 01:15 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I compared a BTLOS carbon rim to a common DT Swiss alloy rim and found that they weigh about same, around 450g. Deep profile carbon rims weigh 80-90g more, per rim. You're supposed to assume that the aero advantage outweighs the increased rim weight.
Surely if you can afford even budget(y) carbon rims you can afford some pretty high end alloy rims too. At the same(ish) price point, can someone quote some weights to compare the real weight benefit of of carbon?

Does the rim itself actually matter all that much? I have to assume lacing, spokes, spoke tension, etc has a lot of influence on the final wheel too.
Old 12-15-21, 01:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Surely if you can afford even budget(y) carbon rims you can afford some pretty high end alloy rims too. At the same(ish) price point, can someone quote some weights to compare the real weight benefit of of carbon?

Does the rim itself actually matter all that much? I have to assume lacing, spokes, spoke tension, etc has a lot of influence on the final wheel too.
I’m not sure I follow what your saying, but take for example:

aluminum HED Emporia GA Pro 700c wheels, 25mm internal, 24mm deep, 1,625g, $950

carbon fiber Lun Grapid 700c wheels, 25mm internal, 38mm deep, 1,413g, $800
Old 12-15-21, 06:00 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
BTLOS rims are available at 385 g. The lightest (?) DT Swiss rim is 435 g.
Old 12-16-21, 11:28 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd hazard a guess that the increased lateral stiffness is a side-benefit that comes from deeper aero rim shape. IOW, carbon fiber wheels aren't made deeper to solve a stiffness issue, but to improve aerodynamics. If (does?) anyone made a 24mm deep CF box shaped rim, would it be any stiffer than a same sized alloy rim?
The thing is deep CF wheels have shorter spokes which equates to a stiffer wheel. If you have a stiff bike you notice it out of the saddle.
Old 12-16-21, 11:48 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by dilbert2000
They look cooler.
and that's all that matters.
Likes For ls01:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.