Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-10, 04:45 PM
Timber_8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Is that your Ride Zipp ?
Old 04-01-10, 06:39 PM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Zipp, a little duct tape and I can attach some nice red fenders in no time...

You know, there is a reason we chat so amicably with a nice safe internet in between.
Seriously, beautiful bike. Did you have a yellow or red frame for winter riding?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
zipps fenders..JPG (31.4 KB, 60 views)
Old 04-01-10, 07:30 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
I was able to get a 26 mile ride in before Maundy Thursday service, need to make a few minor adjustments. SBP the fenders just might work, hey for 17 years old
the Zipp's still stand out. Timber I'm a Zipp2001 fan, you can tell be my name, and i just love riding them. Here's my current stable, the Cannondale was my
winter bike, I'm giving it a tune-up before I give it to my nephew so he can start riding.
Attached Images
bike.jpg (40.6 KB, 33 views)
IMG_1003.jpg (49.5 KB, 33 views)
zipp1.jpg (93.9 KB, 31 views)
IMG_0998.jpg (56.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-01-10, 08:20 PM
sherbornpeddler

Zipp, Blessed Holy Week and Happy Easter.

Yesterday I rode 50 miles in Belgium from Tilff to Bastogne including 10 big hills, narrow roads and nice scenery*

Today, 3D, Cinerama screen with smell-o-vision and a flat so real I actually changed my inner tube.**

OK April Foolishness but

* My longest indoor trainer video ride ever, 19" screen, motor simulated hills and no fenders.
** I did flat; today really was outdoors. Great day riding hills to Grafton, Westborough and back via Ashland and Hopkinton. My real fenders only came into play a few times over the 44 miles.
Old 04-02-10, 12:04 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Those are very sharp, Where do you find those, I don't think I have ever seen one before
Old 04-02-10, 01:24 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Can you say Great ! What a great day out and I was able to get in 51 miles today. Timber_8 the bikes are Zipp2001's made by Zipp in the early 90's
when they went into the wheel and bike business and only produced for a few years before being ban. They did make 100 Zipp3001 which are even
harder to find. I fell in love with it's looks and ride and well as you can see can't have to many.
Old 04-02-10, 07:34 PM
sherbornpeddler

Great it is. I hope everyone got out to celebrate the return of biking Massachusetts roads.
I got in my humdrum, same old, Strawberry Hill 36.5 miler and loved it.

My fenders came into play a bit and would share my iphone video of 5" deep Claybrook Rd. if I knew how.

Other news: I signed up for Bike Boston's 2010 Hub on Wheels tour of Boston. I rode last year and it's a gas. https://hubonwheels.kintera.org/faf/h...?ievent=335715 . A great way (actually, the best way) to see Boston with once-in-a-lifetime traffic control. It's 26 September, supports a good cause and you get to ride with 5000 of your closest friends.
Old 04-02-10, 07:43 PM
sherbornpeddler

Almost forgot:

The Boston Globe has been thinking more about us velo-ists and reports;
"Boston Bike Week begins May 17, and will kick off in Boston with a bike ride and celebration sponsored by City Hall and Mayor Thomas Menino. A map with route information is featured here."

Good for the Globe, good for Boston and good draw for us Metro veloists.
Old 04-03-10, 10:24 AM
sherbornpeddler

Can't wait to hear about the rides this weekend. Beeyoutiful! 29 easy* out and about with a couple of good friends.

*Average heart rate: 108
Old 04-03-10, 06:04 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Got invited to my sisters in Fitchburg for a cookout, so I decided to hit the hills in Fitchburg for 33 miles of up and down.
Old 04-03-10, 06:37 PM
ortcutt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a stupendous ride: 40 miles from Cambridge to Dover (via Newton), a few epicycles, and then back. I was the newcomer to the group, and (I hope and trust) I made some new friends. The organizer of the ride was an inspiration: 60mm balloon tires, the rest of us on 23s, and he still led the pack!
Old 04-03-10, 06:48 PM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I got tied up with stuff today so I didn't get out but will tomorrow. I did receive my package from Carradice though today. I was pretty excited about that.

Old 04-03-10, 09:28 PM
dmann
dmann

Bikes: Trek 7200 modified, 08 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 today out to Sterling back through Clinton twas a glorious late afternoon! After much dethatching and raking I told the better half it be time for me to fly away spandex et al.......back in time to slap some beef onto the grill, enjoy a couple of cocktails with the wife and kid #1. Zipp, did Redstone and Campground in Sterling, looped to Clinton via Chase Hill and South Meadow and popped the flanks of 110 via Winter and the bonsai pipeline Park to School st. descent......wreckless mind numbing silliness....tis the season!
Old 04-04-10, 02:55 PM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Well got a nice ride in today. Went from East Bridgewater to Wampatuck state park in Hingham. Just under 40 miles. It was kinda hot on the way back kicked my ass a bit. Time to bang back a couple of Molson Ice
Old 04-04-10, 03:14 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

I rolled out a 45 mile ride today thru Westminster, Princeton, Sterling, Clinton Lancaster, Leominster, Fitchburg, and back to Westminster. I didn't expect the wind to be
as tough as it was at times, so it made for a harder ride than expected. can't complain the month has started far better than I planned.

Timber_8: You have to weight your bike with all your gear, I would like to know how much it comes out to. I've never been a weight wennie as far as my bike goes, but I do give you props for doing your commute with all that gear.
Old 04-04-10, 04:50 PM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
I rolled out a 45 mile ride today Threw Westminster, Princeton, Sterling, Clinton Lancaster, Leominster, Fitchburg, and back to Westminster. I didn't expect the wind to be
as tough as it was at times, so it made for a harder ride than expected. can't complain the month has started far better than I planned.

Timber_8: You have to weight your bike with all your gear, I would like to know how much it comes out to. I've never been a weight wennie as far as my bike goes, but I do give you props for doing your commute with all that gear.
You are right, The head wind on my way home I could have done without. I wouldn't mind as much if it was a cool wind but it was 80 here. I should weigh the bike loaded, I wasn't thinking I carried to much as a commuter but your not the 1st to ask. My commute is kinda long 35 miles round trip so I do carry a few things in case of break down or a spill to patch me and the bike up. My computer is a 17 inch HP and does have some wt. I have had several 17 inch HPs over the years & I can tell you this is the last one this big. It is 2 years old now so maybe another year & I will retire it to my home office.
Old 04-04-10, 07:26 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cycled from Somerville to a little beyond Concord today, via the Minuteman Trail and then Rt 62 West; 36 mile round trip. Glorious weather, and it was nice to see all the dressed-up people leaving church on Easter Sunday. I really like Rt 62: not too hilly, not too many cars, and plenty of shade.

Old 04-05-10, 10:10 AM
sherbornpeddler

Another nice bike. Great photo.

Veloria, I went clipless pedals and stick my head down. This looks way too comfortable. Sounds like a great ride. We seem to have fans of classic, leather trimmed canvas bags. Looks like good fenders, a Brooks saddle and light set up on your mixte frame Veloria.

Is the water fountain working at the Concord center rotary?
Old 04-06-10, 07:48 PM
sherbornpeddler

Went for a tour of local bridge damage then off to nearly damp, not-so-sunny Milford, Hopedale, Mendon, East Douglas, Douglas, East Thompson, CT, Webster, Sutton, Grafton, Uxbridge, Hokinton, Holliston and home.

Big, long hills.
Beautiful, classic New England Towns, mill towns, canals and railroad history.
Old 04-07-10, 01:30 AM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
It has been great this week commuting, My body has adjusted to my longer commutes this year pretty well. I have been working on my seat adjustments too trying to get everything dialed in just right. I made a lot of changes to the bike this year so it is actually a completely different bike than I rode last year. I have my Boston to P town ride in June so I need to break in these new Bike shoes and try to get everything in order with the bike by then. It will be 130 miles in 1 day. I would like to do it in under 8 hours. I can't move as fast with a Hybrid as you can with a road bike. I am liking this set up though with the bars quite a bit. I'll give the seat 2 more weeks & then move onto something new if my ass & the saddle don't work it out.
Old 04-07-10, 06:41 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Timber_8 I have done alot of ultra marathon cycling events in the past, and if you have a decent base the longer distance is more of a mind thing.
Your commuting is helping to set a foundation, just add a few longer rides when you can on the weekend once and awhile and you'll do great. The
biggest problem I've seen with rider on longer rides is that the never really got there bike dialed in for them, and there complaining about there butt,
back, arms, ect.
Old 04-08-10, 08:36 PM
sherbornpeddler

I was dialed in today! I hit the trifecta.
We rode from JFK Library https://www.jfklibrary.org/ along the Harborwalk to Castle Island and back https://www.bostonharborwalk.com/plac...tion.php?nid=2.

I hadn't toured the library before and will go back again. BTW, the security guard is a "by the book" professional who takes his job seriously. I didn't know the parking rules and treated him with respect. In return he was thoughtful and considerate and made my day. The library refreshed my memories and added humanizing, behind the scenes look at history.

Earlier in the day I rode solo to Burnt Swamp and over Diamond Hill in Rhode Island.

The third ride was a special family ride to C&L Frosties for dinner.

We rode home in the dark with headlights, taillights, blinkies and reflectors and still had a cell phoned car driver almost mindlessly run us over. The driver looked right at us, slowed then went back to his phone and drove right towards us. When my shouting and helmet light eventually caught his attention he stopped and clearly thought I was the crazy. We were on a sidewalk cross walk, all lit up and other cars stopped well in advance of our entering the cross walk.

Whew! Someone said texting drivers are more dangerous than drunk drivers. For the umpteenth time I remembered to look for the car plate number too late. An eight town ride to Rhode Island, a ride in Boston and we almost get clobbered crossing one road in my home town.

Anyway, made it home without further ado and a good time was had by all.
Old 04-08-10, 11:43 PM
Timber_8

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I did pretty good this week, Got in my 1st 5 days in a row at 35 + miles a day. My ass & the saddle are getting along much better. The saddle was new at the end of commuting last year. I put it on just before I stopped riding for the winter. I'll take the next 2 days off on the bike and lift in my gym. The weather has been fantastic this year so far as we all know. My average speed is starting to pick up as well so I am feeling pretty good about my self & my progress.
Old 04-09-10, 04:56 AM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
a "recovery ride" to observe the state of the cherry blossoms along the Charles:

The blossoms seem to be doing well!

sherbornpeddler - When I was last there, I don't think the fountain was working. I've actually changed some things around on that mixte since the photo was taken: switched the bars for upside-down North Roads and installed Atom 700 road pedals. It needed to be a bit sportier for long rides. The new set-up is utter perfection.
Old 04-09-10, 07:57 AM
sherbornpeddler

sherbornpeddler - When I was last there, I don't think the fountain was working. I've actually changed some things around on that mixte since the photo was taken: switched the bars for upside-down North Roads and installed Atom 700 road pedals. It needed to be a bit sportier for long rides. The new set-up is utter perfection.[/QUOTE]

I love the skirt guard fender and chainguard. Are those 35c tires!!? Wow! Either late winter mode or lower North Roads outfit, I imagine you can cruise our Metro roads at a sporty speed and still have a sip of Earl Grey from a cup, on a saucer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.