Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1950s Mercian - Help Needed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1950s Mercian - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 01:48 PM
Big Block

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 78 Posts
It is possible that a number of the braze-on fittings were made by Roy Mitchell as they look similar to the ones on my EA Boult of 1952.
David Orr has described this and the Pennine CO2 pump at https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...may-june-2009/ and scroll halfway down.
Dave also wrote about his bike and the fittings in the thread I did when I became the custodian of his EA Boult.
https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/v...rt=25#p1365638
As it was from the same period as your father's bike purchase, it might help you better appreciate that period.

and like your frame, the braze-on for the CO2 pump needed the Terry pump clip.
So I made some https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/v...rt=50#p1383821
Let me know if you want one posted.
Likes For Big Block:
Old 11-16-23, 03:08 PM
Aintright

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I may get back to you on the clip but I need to have a good root in my dad's loft first to see if they are any other parts up there.
Likes For Aintright:
Old 11-16-23, 03:13 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3824 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 2,201 Posts
Originally Posted by Aintright
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. I may get back to you on the clip but I need to have a good root in my dad's loft first to see if they are any other parts up there.

-----

...sounds much like shopping at a jumble sale...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-16-23, 03:58 PM
Aintright

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
He has another frame up there, a Dawes, and it has some parts on it. Not sure what they are yet. His house is up in the North East and I'm in Lancashire. I'm next up ther in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I'm just giving the frame a good clean and a light wire-wooling for now. Once I know what bits I've got, I'm going to speak to Mercian and come up with a plan.
Old 11-16-23, 04:16 PM
juvela

-----

"light wire wooling" :

-----
Old 11-16-23, 04:25 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Wire wool will strip the old clear coat (and eventually the actual paint and transfers) right off of a frame that old. You may have to barely touch it in some places to damage the finish. Anything that can come off that isn't paint should come off with regular cleaning materials suitable for automotive paint cleaning. Would you ever wire wool your car?

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 11-16-23, 04:46 PM
Aintright

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hi. Honestly, I am being really careful. I'm not going near the decals or badges or anywhere where the paint is in decent nick, which is most of the bike. I'm using 0000 grade really gently and just where there is some corrosion and flaking paint where the inside of the rear forks meet the bottom bracket and on the underside of the bottom bracket itself. A lot of the original clear coat is already missing on the underside of the bike and on the lower half of the down tube so I may get it redone. Not sure yet. Other folk are suggesting I just Owltrol it or get it treated with something similar. I'm going to take it to Mercian as soon as I get a chance and maybe just hand it over to them as it needs a new headset and I don't want to try removing the bit still attached to the frame. It also needs a bottom bracket refurb. The outer faces are in excellent nick but the axle grates in the bearings a bit.
Old 11-16-23, 04:55 PM
juvela

-----

"eetsa you bici"

"finish only original once"

-----