Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 08:08 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Double plus good on the MKS pedals.
I have a couple of bikes with the "bad" pedals on them but the bikes are so complete and original that I've chosen to leave them on.
Any bikes that are ridden on a regular basis have the MKS rubber block pedals.
I'm thinking of using MKS Sylvan pedals for my fiance's '56 Sports. It has the original pedals in great shape, and she will be commuting with the bike. I figure I will put the originals away with those from my '50 Superbe, and use the MKS pedals on it too. My feet are too big for the originals anyway and I suspect the MKS pedals will be more comfy for her as well.
I'm almost finished my Peugeot project, and must get the '56 Sports ready for spring. I have a '72 AW wheel from a donor bike that I am going to clean up and use in place of the SW, which drops out of gear despite being in correct adjustment. I think that is why the bike is in such nice shape - it didn't get ridden all that much. At any rate I don't want her hunting for correct gear engagement in traffic, so once again I am happy to have found a cheap donor. A neat part of this project is that I found a sturmey lightset off of UK eBay which was originally installed on a '49 or '47 Lenton. The paint is rough so I'm going to sand it and paint in a creamy white to match the mudguards on the '56 Sports (which also need a little work at the ends - I will follow Chief's example with his mudguards). I just have to re-wire the light system - I suppose I could use lamp cord. I plan to use the Nicelite LED bulbs. She won't be riding at night, so being seen is the goal with this one and I'm not worried about how the beam pattern is etc. I'm going to find a 32 hole CR18 wheel for the Lenton dynohub (it has the cool bakelite covering too - and I found another locally in a parts bin).

Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-03-20, 08:50 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 288 Posts
I think MKS pedals a slightly bigger than the originals with a
larger footprint.
I've had a pair in regular hard use for the past 6 years (at least).
I've only had to tighten up the connecting bolts once or twice.
They seem to be discantinued in Canada which is a shame as
the were only $25.00/pair...
Those SW hubs seen to have a bad reputation
I found a bare one at the co-op that appears almost new.
Probably swapped out and hardly used.
Old 03-03-20, 10:11 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Still Out There
Ladies Superbe @ $65.00...
The forks look a little off.
Old 03-03-20, 12:25 PM
BigChief

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Ged117
I'm thinking of using MKS Sylvan pedals for my fiance's '56 Sports. It has the original pedals in great shape, and she will be commuting with the bike. I figure I will put the originals away with those from my '50 Superbe, and use the MKS pedals on it too. My feet are too big for the originals anyway and I suspect the MKS pedals will be more comfy for her as well.
I'm almost finished my Peugeot project, and must get the '56 Sports ready for spring. I have a '72 AW wheel from a donor bike that I am going to clean up and use in place of the SW, which drops out of gear despite being in correct adjustment. I think that is why the bike is in such nice shape - it didn't get ridden all that much. At any rate I don't want her hunting for correct gear engagement in traffic, so once again I am happy to have found a cheap donor. A neat part of this project is that I found a sturmey lightset off of UK eBay which was originally installed on a '49 or '47 Lenton. The paint is rough so I'm going to sand it and paint in a creamy white to match the mudguards on the '56 Sports (which also need a little work at the ends - I will follow Chief's example with his mudguards). I just have to re-wire the light system - I suppose I could use lamp cord. I plan to use the Nicelite LED bulbs. She won't be riding at night, so being seen is the goal with this one and I'm not worried about how the beam pattern is etc. I'm going to find a 32 hole CR18 wheel for the Lenton dynohub (it has the cool bakelite covering too - and I found another locally in a parts bin).

That is one nice stepthrough. Love the color. Original silver cable housings. I'm much more comfortable riding with the steel MKS pedals, but it's great to have those super rare original 50s double quills. There's lots of mid 50s 40 hole AW hubs around because people tended to save good hubs from wheels with rusted away rims. It would be nice to lace the original rim to a good 50s AW someday. The newer rims aren't of this quality.
Old 03-03-20, 12:50 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
That is one nice stepthrough. Love the color. Original silver cable housings. I'm much more comfortable riding with the steel MKS pedals, but it's great to have those super rare original 50s double quills. There's lots of mid 50s 40 hole AW hubs around because people tended to save good hubs from wheels with rusted away rims. It would be nice to lace the original rim to a good 50s AW someday. The newer rims aren't of this quality.
I have a '56 AW that I am going to build into a CR18 next winter, to join the dynohub CR18 front wheel to lighten up the bike quite a bit for longer rides. The original front wheel from the '56 Sports will be cleaned up and installed on my '50 Superbe, since as you say it is in nice shape, unlike the replacement '70s flakey one on my Superbe right now.
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-05-20, 03:25 PM
Commando

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Superbe, Abeni Triatlon, 1992 GT Timberline custom "neo-klunker", 1988 Miyata Valley Runner Townie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
I was downtown tonight and caught the scent of derelict three-speed. Sure enough, I looked around and there it was: an old Superbe, complete by the looks of it, abandoned to the elements. It is currently locked to a pole along the sidewalk and visibly abandoned, partially covered with snow. I'm going to bring my adjustable down there tomorrow and grab the wheels and maybe the shifter depending on the age of the bike. The front has a dynohub and the rear has an IGH, probably an AW. I could use the parts and especially that front wheel if it is in decent clean-up shape.
Last time I was home in Toronto (live in Australia now), I was astounded by the number of locked up, clearly abandoned 3-speeds everywhere. When I lived there 15 years ago, commuting and exploring on my Superbe, I don't remember seeing so many laying about, perhaps I wasn't paying attention, however. Here in Oz, English 3-speeds are not nearly as common, so bikes are parts are more expensive, I'm gonna bring tools with me next time I make the trip to the Big Smoke!

Last edited by Commando; 03-05-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 04:49 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Would it be possible to fit fat winter tires on an old Sports in 650B?
Limited to about 41mm on the rear with a 650b wheel. I will have hard numbers on this fairly soon.
Old 03-09-20, 08:27 AM
gster

I often wonder if people do any research before placing an advert.
Here's a rather average Raleigh built Glider for sale here in Toronto.

Seller is asking $300.00.
Selling points:
Tires hold air.....amazing
New vinyl seat worth $40.00 included in purchase price.....wow
The average asking price around here would be $100.00 - $150.00.
If i was interested I'd pay $50.00 - $75.00.
Old 03-10-20, 07:51 AM
Numberfourson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
For the love of English three speeds

I have always admired English three speeds. As a kid I built whatever I rode from parts scavenged here and there. Old 24 " wheels gave way to Sting Ray's and ten speeds. But always three speeds seemed classic. I now have a garage full of bikes and a basement workshop that's running out of room. Amongst my Zeus and Raleigh road bikes a 1958 Royal York English three speeds. I've had it for about twenty five years don't know much about it and don't really care. It's an English three speed and I have as long as I can remember wanted one.
Likes For Numberfourson:
Old 03-10-20, 03:38 PM
gster

Originally Posted by Numberfourson
I have always admired English three speeds. As a kid I built whatever I rode from parts scavenged here and there. Old 24 " wheels gave way to Sting Ray's and ten speeds. But always three speeds seemed classic. I now have a garage full of bikes and a basement workshop that's running out of room. Amongst my Zeus and Raleigh road bikes a 1958 Royal York English three speeds. I've had it for about twenty five years don't know much about it and don't really care. It's an English three speed and I have as long as I can remember wanted one.
I think there was a Royal York posting here a while back.
Old 03-11-20, 01:08 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Selling points:
Tires hold air.....amazing.
I always find the "tires hold air" (or even better, "tires seem to hold air") thing silly. I guess for someone who thinks they need/hope to do zero work to a used, old Craigslist bike, that's a big selling point. But me? The first thing I want to do is replace tires on a 30-50 year old bike. Chances are that the tire is going to fail pretty quickly with any regular use. And while I love the quality of many vintage things, tire technology has definitely improved for the better over the years. The only thing I wish is they made more vintage style "block pattern" tires in 650A. The only one I know of is the Panaracer Col de la Vies.
Old 03-11-20, 04:31 AM
BigChief

Originally Posted by adventurepdx
I always find the "tires hold air" (or even better, "tires seem to hold air") thing silly. I guess for someone who thinks they need/hope to do zero work to a used, old Craigslist bike, that's a big selling point. But me? The first thing I want to do is replace tires on a 30-50 year old bike. Chances are that the tire is going to fail pretty quickly with any regular use. And while I love the quality of many vintage things, tire technology has definitely improved for the better over the years. The only thing I wish is they made more vintage style "block pattern" tires in 650A. The only one I know of is the Panaracer Col de la Vies.
I miss the old Dunlop tires too. Maybe it's just me. Time does seem to pass more quickly as I age, but it seems like I'm topping off my air pressure much more frequently with modern tires and tubes. It used to be that I could...inflate hard...and forget about it for weeks.
Old 03-11-20, 06:21 AM
JIMBO53

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
I was downtown tonight and caught the scent of derelict three-speed. Sure enough, I looked around and there it was: an old Superbe, complete by the looks of it, abandoned to the elements. It is currently locked to a pole along the sidewalk and visibly abandoned, partially covered with snow. I'm going to bring my adjustable down there tomorrow and grab the wheels and maybe the shifter depending on the age of the bike. The front has a dynohub and the rear has an IGH, probably an AW. I could use the parts and especially that front wheel if it is in decent clean-up shape.
Just because it "appears" to be abandoned, it might not be-you could get arrested for theft. I'd be careful parting it out or cutting the chain-surveillance cameras everywhere and this could be a big "uh-oh..." moment you can't take back for an old bike.
Likes For JIMBO53:
Old 03-11-20, 06:28 AM
JIMBO53

Bikes: 71 and 75 Raleigh Tourists

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 17 Posts
I miss the old Dunlop tires too. Maybe it's just me. Time does seem to pass more quickly as I age, but it seems like I'm topping off my air pressure much more frequently with modern tires and tubes. It used to be that I could...inflate hard...and forget about it for weeks.
I have a 71 DL-1 Tourist that has original Dunlop Roadster tires. One of the tubes went down the other day while on a ride. The tires look great-supple, no cracking or splitting, inside the tires are good with no issues I can see. Would it be OK to put new tubes in the existing tires?
Old 03-11-20, 06:50 AM
gster

i always replace the tires on a new project that I intend to ride but I do recycle
old tubes on occasion. You're right, I have Dunlop tubes from the 50's that hold air better
brand new ones,
I like the ones with a threaded valve and lock nut.

Last edited by gster; 03-12-20 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 09:12 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMBO53
I have a 71 DL-1 Tourist that has original Dunlop Roadster tires. One of the tubes went down the other day while on a ride. The tires look great-supple, no cracking or splitting, inside the tires are good with no issues I can see. Would it be OK to put new tubes in the existing tires?
Certainly as long as you are OK with the old tires.
Old 03-11-20, 11:59 AM
adventurepdx

Well, I never said I missed the old Dunlop tires, though I know that on this thread that would be the "correct" thing to say. I don't have experience with those tires. I just like the tread pattern on some of the older tires, and wish we'd see more of that. The Col de la Vies are the only modern tire in 650A that has that vibe.

And I don't feel like I'm topping off more with modern tires and tubes, but since I don't have the experience of "back then", I can't say for sure. I feel like my Conti tubes and Schwalbe Delta Cruisers hold the air quite a while. I went to check pressure on the tires yesterday after a couple weeks of not using the bike, and each tire maybe lost 10 psi.

And it's been years since following the credo of "inflating hard". I used to inflate to the maximum pressure on all my tires, now I'm more likely to go towards the minimum pressure. And I feel like the amount of flats has decreased. And I'm no lightweight rider!
Old 03-11-20, 12:01 PM
adventurepdx

i always replace the tires on a new project that I intend to ride but I do recycle
old tubes on occasion. You right, I have Dunlop tubes from the 50's that hold air better
brand new ones,
I like the ones with a threaded valve and lock nut.
For modern options, both Schwalbe and Continental have threaded valves and lock nuts for their Schrader tubes. (Must be a German thing.) I pretty much just use the Conti tubes and have good luck on air retention. And I can usually find them cheaper than the Schwalbe tubes.
Old 03-11-20, 03:55 PM
BigChief

Apparently, threaded schrader valve stem tubes are still available. It was mentioned on this thread a while back. "Inflate Hard" was what the old Dunlops had molded into the sidewall.
Old 03-11-20, 09:41 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Apparently, threaded schrader valve stem tubes are still available. It was mentioned on this thread a while back. "Inflate Hard" was what the old Dunlops had molded into the sidewall.
I have a set of heavy duty tubes I had put on at a bike shop where I bought them, along with puncture proof street treaded tires on my Diamond Back mountain, now commuter bike. I don't remember the brands of either, but the tubes are threaded outside Schrader stems, and put in place of drilled out rims for presta tubes. They seem to stay inflated way longer than the original presta tubes. I've done this to two bikes now because I don't like Presta. The other has 700c with schraders now as well.
Old 03-12-20, 07:23 PM
adventurepdx

Apparently, threaded schrader valve stem tubes are still available. It was mentioned on this thread a while back.
Yeah, by me about two and a half years ago.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post19894730
Old 03-12-20, 07:57 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
I still ride Dunlops from the 60's after they added the Nylon bead. They don't deteriorate like the all-rubber models previous. I've had a pair on my Canadian Sports for 10 years and although it only sees light use on roads and cinder paths, I've had zero flats. Great block pattern.
Old 03-12-20, 08:39 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
Yeah, by me about two and a half years ago.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post19894730
And by me in the post right above your last one.
Old 03-13-20, 10:01 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
I still ride Dunlops from the 60's after they added the Nylon bead. They don't deteriorate like the all-rubber models previous. I've had a pair on my Canadian Sports for 10 years and although it only sees light use on roads and cinder paths, I've had zero flats. Great block pattern.
Its a durable tire, but IME slow and a harsher ride than most of the new offerings.
Old 03-13-20, 11:53 AM
adventurepdx

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
And by me in the post right above your last one.
Oh yes, I saw that post. But when @BigChief said "a while back", I think they were meaning further than "the last post."
Likes For adventurepdx:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.