Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surprised at disc brake performance

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Surprised at disc brake performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 10:28 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
I don't understand this argument about modulation. I have bikes with disk brakes, rim brakes, and direct mount brakes (and one with only a front brake). Each of them brakes differently than the other, but I've been riding each of them long enough to know how much to grab when I need to brake, or control my speed. On the direct mount bike, you can grab a lot of brake very quickly, but guess what, I've figured out how to modulate the braking. It's just like learning to drive a new car, or a different car. Some cars, you have to really press the accelerator to get it to go, others you barely touch and you feel like you are taking off in a rocket. At first, it's awkward and doesn't feel right, but you quickly learn how to control things. So, I can modulate my brakes just fine, it's all about control and muscle memory. In fact, on my disk bike I really have to grab a lot to slow down quickly, whereas on the direct mount bike, it's a very fine touch, but for each of these, I'm not thinking about it, it's just something I know to do.
Old 04-27-16, 10:31 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't care for discs. Aesthetically I find they are ugly, and the larger brifters being used to accommodate the new system are fugly. They are more expensive. Disc compatible hubs are more expensive and not as widely available. From an amature mechanics standpoint - I find they are a PITA. By the time they are on the shops floor, they have been adjusted - but the person assembling your bike now has to mess with the alignment and truing the rotors. You have to bleed the lines every so often. The only job I take my road bike to the shop for is bottom bracket service - bc I don't have a press.

Discs are better when the wheels are attached with thru axles, but not everyone is using them.
One of the upsides is rims won't need to be replaced because of brake wear - only the rotors, which is a lot easier than lacing new rims up.
As for clearance for wider tires - it's all in the frame design.
Old 04-27-16, 10:34 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I don't understand this argument about modulation. I have bikes with disk brakes, rim brakes, and direct mount brakes (and one with only a front brake). Each of them brakes differently than the other, but I've been riding each of them long enough to know how much to grab when I need to brake, or control my speed. On the direct mount bike, you can grab a lot of brake very quickly, but guess what, I've figured out how to modulate the braking. It's just like learning to drive a new car, or a different car. Some cars, you have to really press the accelerator to get it to go, others you barely touch and you feel like you are taking off in a rocket. At first, it's awkward and doesn't feel right, but you quickly learn how to control things. So, I can modulate my brakes just fine, it's all about control and muscle memory. In fact, on my disk bike I really have to grab a lot to slow down quickly, whereas on the direct mount bike, it's a very fine touch, but for each of these, I'm not thinking about it, it's just something I know to do.
+1 - I thought maybe I was the only one who thought that modulating rim brakes based off of user experience and muscle memory was some advanced exercise that is impossible to accomplish.
Old 04-27-16, 10:39 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Not have to deal with fluid, especially when hanging bikes by the wheels upside down in the garage. I can grab a bike after not riding it a few months and know the brakes are going to work.

I'm just gonna have mineral oil all over the floor with hydraulic/disc brakes.
As a bonus the battery is dead in the 'lectric shifting and the dog has explosive diarrhea from licking up the mineral oil on the floor.

-Bandera
Old 04-27-16, 11:02 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
I've been a disc brake user for almost 15 years because I do several tours per year and it's not uncommon for me to have downhills in the rain. And I've been in the position of not being able to control my speed with rim brakes. So while I believe that many of you don't need them, I really don't like it when someone says they're an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. A problem that some of you don't have, perhaps; but not one that doesn't exist.
Old 04-27-16, 11:35 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I mainly got them for mountain descents and the occasional rain shower you can get caught in here. Well, also the occasional slushy snowy sections on shoulder seasons. After a few rides, they take less effort to stop when going downhill and I can brake later. Mainly though, I got them for when I ride at 8,000-12,000 feet and I like them enough to where I will stick with discs from now on. I still have my rim brake Roubaix and the new pads (I think Kool Stop...the dark green ones) do stop better than Dura Ace pads.
Old 04-27-16, 11:57 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I really don't like it when someone says they're an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. A problem that some of you don't have, perhaps; but not one that doesn't exist.
Old 04-27-16, 12:26 PM
dwing

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
And a Schwinn coaster brake modulates just fine too... no need for a masters degree to understand that.
Old 04-27-16, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18417 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
I know I'm a bit behind the times, but I just installed a pair of Shimano 6800 callipers (stock, new pads) with Campy SR11 levers

I will say that I was immediately surprised at how grippy the brakes were. I had always been happy with my old side-pull brakes, but these new ones really grab.

I did a hill ride last weekend. The guy behind me complained about almost missing a couple of right angle turns at the bottom of steep hills. I assume he had basic center pivot side-pull bakes. Good brakes help!!!

So, back to the discussion. I don't know if the discs are better or worse than modern caliper brakes, but good positive braking is very nice.
Old 04-27-16, 01:49 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 211 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
Not have to deal with fluid, especially when hanging bikes by the wheels upside down in the garage. I can grab a bike after not riding it a few months and know the brakes are going to work.
There is no problem with hanging a hydraulic disc brake bike upside down and they don't just spring leaks left and right. It is actually better for your mtn bike to be stored upside down because it lubricates the seals in the forks.
Old 04-27-16, 03:31 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
So while I believe that many of you don't need them, I really don't like it when someone says they're an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. A problem that some of you don't have, perhaps; but not one that doesn't exist.
No doubt:

Originally Posted by Bandera
Simply put: Disc brakes are an Answer to a Question that I Never Asked.

As always: Suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 04-27-16, 03:38 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure others have said your braking power on a bicycle is not dependent on strong brakes. You can lock up and slide with the simplest and oldest of v-brakes. It may help if they have any type of auto-modulation like abs but you can just feather your brakes or learn how to brake properly. people do say they may help in rain or wet weather.
Old 04-27-16, 04:16 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
I'm sure others have said your braking power on a bicycle is not dependent on strong brakes. You can lock up and slide with the simplest and oldest of v-brakes. It may help if they have any type of auto-modulation like abs but you can just feather your brakes or learn how to brake properly. people do say they may help in rain or wet weather.
Show me anyone who can slide their front wheel on pavement and the limit in braking is when the rear tire is just of the ground.
Old 04-27-16, 04:53 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
I did a test and both the disc brakes and rim brakes on carbon wheels stopped within six feet of each other going 15 mph.
haha that is very opposite of what you just typed. 6ft at 15mph, That is about the width of a car...... Once you lock up the tire, you lose the ability to brake any faster, you are just skidding rubber not stopping.

What about 40mph downhill decent?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 04-27-16, 05:03 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
haha that is very opposite of what you just typed. 6ft at 15mph, That is about the width of a car...... Once you lock up the tire, you lose the ability to brake any faster, you are just skidding rubber not stopping.

What about 40mph downhill decent?
I stopped without locking wheels. In most instances the differences with either zero or 2-3 feet. The one six foot difference was with wet wheels after riding through a big long puddle where a lawn sprinkler system was bring turned on.
Old 04-27-16, 06:16 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 749 Posts
My experience is that disc brakes are more progressive.
Old 04-28-16, 08:02 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
So you're claiming to push close to 40 miles per hour in town with lights and traffic?
Busy day yesterday. If 'town' includes the multilane suburban arterial with a 45mph speed limit that I frequent, then yes, I do. Time things right to keep momentum and throw in a little tailwind and I've hit 45mph heading towards one of the intersections. Stopping at a red light from those speeds is a lot less eventful on my disc brake bike even in bad weather. There are several nearby quite steep (10%+) downhills with stop signs at the bottom, too. I am way more comfortable carrying speed down those hills and confidently stopping at the bottom when using my disc brake bike (front only). For example: https://www.strava.com/segments/1599784