Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

So fellow commuters; what do you do eat for lunch?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

So fellow commuters; what do you do eat for lunch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-15, 05:25 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I bring breakfast & lunch.

Foods:
Egg sandwich
Granola bar
Greek Yogurt
Sandwich
Trail mix
Green apple

What gets eaten for breakfast and what gets eaten for lunch varies a little bit by the day.
Old 03-21-15, 06:36 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2 pieces of fresh fruit. Usually an orange with something else that's in season. Apples in winter, peaches in summer, etc. Sometimes I will substitute a grapefruit for the orange. Anything more makes me sluggish the whole afternoon.
Old 03-21-15, 06:48 PM
john4789

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
2 pieces of fresh fruit.
Please add more details, as this is not believable....
Firstly, how many miles are you riding to work? If a couple fine. That and your weight/effort level. Fine if 3 pieces of fruit would make you feel sluggish - but that little energy would let me pass out. I think I just burned 2 fruits of energy shaking my head at this post.
Old 03-21-15, 07:50 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
A thermos food container is very useful if you bring home-made lunch. It keeps food hot in winter, which is really important before riding home.

Originally Posted by joeyduck
I would usually bring a giant honking salad or a few sandwiches and occasionally leftovers. That with several pieces of fruit.
So good to see joeyduck posting in this thread (no one noticed his name?). Hope you have a complete recovery and get on the bike soon!
Old 03-21-15, 07:58 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it''s great to see @joeyduck here! I'm also a fan of having a big salad for lunch. I work at a college with a fantastic refectory, which includes a great salad bar and very solid vegetarian station. That's where I go most days. At only $3.50 per meal, I can hardly pack a lunch for less.
Old 03-21-15, 08:09 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 hour days = green salad with feta
12 hour days = green salad with feta and fruit salad with yogurt.

I am a horribly heavy packer for bike commuting.
Old 03-21-15, 08:22 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I burn a lot of calories during the day.. I need to eat few meals per day to keep up my energy levels. I choose foods which are dense and have high caloric value.
Funny you mention this....... I find myself eating 4-5 meals a day plus snacks with weight stable. For serious though, chocolate milk helps so very much as a snack, a cool down treat mid-ride, and as a end of trip treat... kind of like a carrot/stick situation.

- Andy
Old 03-21-15, 08:30 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
90% of the time it's leftovers.
Old 03-21-15, 09:24 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john4789
Firstly, how many miles are you riding to work? If a couple fine. That and your weight/effort level. Fine if 3 pieces of fruit would make you feel sluggish - but that little energy would let me pass out. I think I just burned 2 fruits of energy shaking my head at this post.
I typically participate in what is called alternate day fasting. That means I go for 20-24 hours without food. Once you get used to it, it's rather easy. It's easy to do: two days a week don't eat, not consecutive days alternate days. The eating days, eat whatever you want. Studies, in peer reviewed journals, contribute it to increased longevity, fat burning, and several other things I am unable to recall nor do I wish to look up.

As for my mileage it was somewhere between 24 and 36 km per day at high intensity.

So it is wholly plausible on a few pieces of fruit.

Last edited by joeyduck; 03-21-15 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 09:29 PM
john4789

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I typically participate in what is called alternate day fasting. That means I go for 20-24 hours without food. Once you get used to it, it's rather easy.
I typically eat food everyday, works pretty good for me.
Old 03-21-15, 09:35 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I typically eat food everyday, works pretty good for me.
That's works for me too. I find when I do that I need to be more careful how much I eat.

Thanks for noticing me guys.

I'm making progress. In two weeks I've gone from bed rest to walking with a walker. Tuesday I went a few meters, Wednesday fifteen, Thursday fifty and Friday about sixty and today two separate laps around the unit totaling 150 meters or so!

I'm still only partial weight bearing on my left leg and I don't have much range of motion in either my knee or ankle. But I'm doing what I can.

I got to use a toilet for my first time in eight weeks on Thursday. No more bed pan!

It's been 58 days in the hospital so far, so I'm happy with this progress.

Last edited by joeyduck; 03-21-15 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-21-15, 10:15 PM
vol

I'm making progress. In two weeks I've gone from bed rest to walking with a walker. Tuesday I went a few meters, Wednesday fifteen, Thursday fifty and Friday about sixty and today two separate laps around the unit totaling 150 meters or so!

I'm still only partial weight bearing on my left leg and I don't have much range of motion in either my knee or ankle. But I'm doing what I can.

I got to use a toilet for my first time in eight weeks on Thursday. No more bed pan!

It's been 58 days in the hospital so far, so I'm happy with this progress.
Amazing progress! (You typed these with your own hands?) Probably your years of cycling paid off. Too bad the driver was not caught(?).
Now what do you eat these days?
Old 03-21-15, 10:41 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
My commute is very, very short right now so I don't eat anything extra. I make my lunches by preparing an extra portion for dinner the night before work and packing it in a plastic container that I take with me to work, where coffee is available. That means lots of curries and stir fries, or just a simple vegetable side and a hunk of homemade bread. If I haven't made anything the night before I might bring just a hunk of good bread and eat that with my coffee - which always gets a commented upon as odd no matter where I've worked, but I figure that I always eat good, nutritious meals for breakfast and dinner, so it's no problem if my lunch is just a hit of carbohydrates to keep me fueled and functioning for the remainder of the workday.
Old 03-21-15, 11:14 PM
joeyduck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Amazing progress! (You typed these with your own hands?) Probably your years of cycling paid off. Too bad the driver was not caught(?).
Now what do you eat these days?
See the thread below.
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...r-hit-car.html

Now a days I am eating whatever the hospital brings me. I get a menu for the next day every morning; they have been very good about giving extra portions or a juice not on the menu. I occasionally get a "date night" with my wife when she brings in take out. My mother in law broke me out for a coffee in my wheel chair and then some Japanese. At my request a friend visiting brought me a pizza; she is an MD and finds it very interesting as well.
Old 03-21-15, 11:31 PM
vol

See the thread below.
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...r-hit-car.html

Now a days I am eating whatever the hospital brings me. I get a menu for the next day every morning; they have been very good about giving extra portions or a juice not on the menu. I occasionally get a "date night" with my wife when she brings in take out. My mother in law broke me out for a coffee in my wheel chair and then some Japanese. At my request a friend visiting brought me a pizza; she is an MD and finds it very interesting as well.
Sounds like you have a cozy life there--be sure to take full advantage while it lasts

Thanks for the link to your update there.
Old 03-22-15, 07:16 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Everybody is different, I reckon. I ride 12-20 miles round trip depending on what route I take. My route is basically is dependent on weather and how much time I have. I ride at a 13 mph average pace in an urban setting on a 40-45 lb bike (loaded weight). I weigh about 160 (same as I did 40 years ago).

On the few days that I eat a bigger lunch, my trips home are measurably slower and less comfortable. Personally, I think the fixation on fueling and hydrating is more psychological than physical.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-15, 10:04 AM
john4789

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Everybody is different, I reckon.
I guess so. Thanks for the follow up, impressive that you can get by on so little.
Old 03-22-15, 10:37 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I went years eating 5 apples a day for breakfast/lunch combined, riding 13-20 miles/day. Lost a lot of weight. Those years included some heavy work pulling the kids uphill from their preschool/daycare in the trailer. I do remember once or twice getting home and not having energy to make dinner or really do much but get them out of the trailer into the house.
Old 03-22-15, 11:50 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Everybody is different, I reckon. Personally, I think the fixation on fueling and hydrating is more psychological than physical.
How active one is during their work day can make a difference. The needs of someone sitting at a desk will differ from someone doing physical labor.
Old 03-22-15, 12:37 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
I eat before I commute. Usually a sandwich since it is quick and easy.
Old 03-22-15, 12:54 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
On one of the days I drive in, I'll pack in soups, SPAM, Rice-a-roni and other yummies. I try and keep my food drawer stocked.

If nothing in the drawer strikes me as appetizing on any day, there are plenty of restaurants within riding distance. If I'm not in the mood for any of those restaurants, I can usually talk my boss into driving to lunch (the more stressful her morning, the more likely I can convince her that we need a break).
Old 03-22-15, 01:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by TransitBiker
Funny you mention this....... I find myself eating 4-5 meals a day plus snacks with weight stable. For serious though, chocolate milk helps so very much as a snack, a cool down treat mid-ride, and as a end of trip treat... kind of like a carrot/stick situation.

- Andy
Chocolate milk is great stuff and I like it, I use it as my post-workout drink, sometimes I drink it as a snack between my meals.
Old 03-22-15, 01:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

Personally, I think the fixation on fueling and hydrating is more psychological than physical.
Fueling is not some "fixation", it's a necessity for people who are very active physically. Why should I starve myself ??...My daily routine can be very intense...I need a minimum of 2500-3500 calories per day or else I would look and perform like a starved POW...A person who bikes to work, works at a physically demanding job and then does fitness/strength workouts has different needs then somebody who has a sedentary job and sits at a desk all day.
Old 03-22-15, 03:45 PM
Wits_Of_Fury

Bikes: 2011 CAAD10-5, 2014 Soma Saga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I leave for school at 8:30 am and go straight to work after class/studying, which means I don't get home till about 11:30 at night. I was doing really well bringing multiple meals comprised of leftovers (lasagna, other pastas), hearty salads topped with steak or chicken, 2-3 pieces of fruit, granola or mixed nuts, and/or a sandwich. I've gotten a bit lazy this past couple months, and now I'll go to the pho place near campus or hit up the Whole Foods salad bar if I feel like overspending. And like everyone else, I usually drink close to a gallon of water per day.
Old 03-22-15, 03:51 PM
Wits_Of_Fury

Bikes: 2011 CAAD10-5, 2014 Soma Saga

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Fueling is not some "fixation", it's a necessity for people who are very active physically. Why should I starve myself ??...My daily routine can be very intense...I need a minimum of 2500-3500 calories per day or else I would look and perform like a starved POW...A person who bikes to work, works at a physically demanding job and then does fitness/strength workouts has different needs then somebody who has a sedentary job and sits at a desk all day.
+1

I can most certainly tell the difference when I'm eating enough, both in quantity and frequency, as well as the quality of food.

If I skip breakfast or lunch, I'm sluggish on my bike the rest of the day and into the next. I also wait tables at night, so that additional exertion requires more calories than if I had a desk job.

I try to have a salad for lunch these days and reduce excessive carbs in the middle of the day. Even a sandwich will often times cause a food coma for me within 90 minutes. Having tea on hand helps mitigate that for when I don't have as many options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.