Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 10:36 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Is this the stable where the Clydesdales first gather? Let me make my presence known!

https://historian2wheels.blogspot.com/

Old 04-04-07, 10:37 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Is this the stable where the Clydesdales first gather? Let me make my presence known!

https://historian2wheels.blogspot.com/
Yep, this is where the blacksmith and vet check out our shoes and teeth!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-07-07, 09:53 PM
Rumblejohn

Bikes: Raleigh Passage 3.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post

Hello, I'm new here too. I'm 6'4" 285lbs, and have been riding a Sports Authority Huffy MTN bike for about 5 yrs. Just this weekend I bought a Raleigh Passage 3.5 with a 23" frame. It is the frst time a bike fit me since grade school. There is a beautiful paved bike path just 2 tenths of a mile from my door. It makes an approximate ten mile round trip, which takes me 35-40 minutes to complete. The course is fairly flat, wooded and open areas, and turns around at a park on the river. Makes a good start for the day.
If I get my weight down to 260-270 that will be fine by me, but I'm already a pretty solid gym rat.

This seems to be a very helpful and freindly forum.
Thanks for having me,

John
Old 04-07-07, 10:54 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by Rumblejohn
Hello, I'm new here too. I'm 6'4" 285lbs, and have been riding a Sports Authority Huffy MTN bike for about 5 yrs. Just this weekend I bought a Raleigh Passage 3.5 with a 23" frame. It is the frst time a bike fit me since grade school. There is a beautiful paved bike path just 2 tenths of a mile from my door. It makes an approximate ten mile round trip, which takes me 35-40 minutes to complete. The course is fairly flat, wooded and open areas, and turns around at a park on the river. Makes a good start for the day.
If I get my weight down to 260-270 that will be fine by me, but I'm already a pretty solid gym rat.

This seems to be a very helpful and freindly forum.
Thanks for having me,

John
Welcome to Clyde's, John! We'll be looking forward to your participation here!

Old 04-08-07, 02:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Hey, I just saw this cartoon on the Gainesville Cycle Club website, pretty funny.

https://gainesvillecyclingclub.org/TOON/plow.jpg

Old 04-08-07, 04:27 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Hey, I just saw this cartoon on the Gainesville Cycle Club website, pretty funny.

https://gainesvillecyclingclub.org/TOON/plow.jpg
JERSEY GRAPHIC!

Old 04-16-07, 04:14 AM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 04-16-07, 02:06 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't believe I somehow missed an opportunity to post pics of my bikes

I'm 52yo, 6'3" and currently about 205lbs, down from a high of 215 over the winter. In summer, I'll hopefully trim down to about the mid 190s and I think that's about my lower limit without starving myself. Does 195 still qualify me as a Clyde?

Anyway, my baby is my Roubaix pictured below. Easily the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. The Bianchi is a new purchase from late last year, purchased to supplement the Roubaix and for use in bad or sloppy weather (the springs here in MN are sloppy, wet and full of road salt).

Take care,

Steve
Old 04-16-07, 02:18 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Close enough for Union Work, Steve!
Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
Can't believe I somehow missed an opportunity to post pics of my bikes

I'm 52yo, 6'3" and currently about 205lbs, down from a high of 215 over the winter. In summer, I'll hopefully trim down to about the mid 190s and I think that's about my lower limit without starving myself. Does 195 still qualify me as a Clyde?

Anyway, my baby is my Roubaix pictured below. Easily the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. The Bianchi is a new purchase from late last year, purchased to supplement the Roubaix and for use in bad or sloppy weather (the springs here in MN are sloppy, wet and full of road salt).

Take care,

Steve

Old 04-16-07, 02:35 PM
cheeseflavor
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Close enough for Union Work, Steve!
LOL! True. I know that I feel the same going uphill at 195 as I do at 205, so...

Steve
Old 04-17-07, 06:41 PM
Groucho01
Groucho in Altoona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5' 9" (my wife says 5'8") 40 years old 214 pounds. Just started riding this past year and really enjoy it. Hoping to lose some weight and drop out of this exclusive club. I'm new to the sport. Any suggestions for a training schedule. Planning an MS150 ride in July.
Old 04-18-07, 04:29 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by Groucho01
5' 9" (my wife says 5'8") 40 years old 214 pounds. Just started riding this past year and really enjoy it. Hoping to lose some weight and drop out of this exclusive club. I'm new to the sport. Any suggestions for a training schedule. Planning an MS150 ride in July.
Welcome aboard, Groucho!

Old 04-19-07, 08:58 PM
magoolc1
SPOLHUBBY

Bikes: trek 820, and park pre xl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i should have posted in here sooner. But my name is Matt, my wife is on here as well. We both are big. Im 6 foot 2 and about 330 down from 365. Ive always been big and strong and put on a bunch of weight in 2006. I was laid up from a bad car accident caused by a woman on a cell. I have recovered and am back riding again. I should get my settlement in june and with that im going to purchase a new bike even though my trek 820 rides flawless. I want a road bike and dammit i will have one..lol. I was really surprised with myself last weeken. On flat ground going into a head wind i hit and maintained 26 mph with mtb gearing for over 3 miles. My ride was longer then that but could not beleive how i can get these old football player legs moving

Oh yeah i turned 37 this past monday.
Old 04-23-07, 07:02 AM
PEABOB

Bikes: schwin.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ez3-ax

Tom, we also have the ez3 recumbent trikes, ours is the aluminum frame. we just got some decent weather and last thursday and friday did a 10 mile ride. its not much but hey we felt great afterwards. It took us about 1 hour and 14 minutes to complete the 10 mile trip.. I know its not fast but hey we are out there.. lol.. take care sorry it took so long to reply to this post. hope to have pictures soon. Peabob
Old 04-23-07, 09:15 AM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
working out and........

Originally Posted by mars_nerd
new here.......used to ride 300+ miles per week uh.....22 yrs ago. Am 6ft, 280lbs, am sick of thinking that I could body double for Peter Griffin! Just got a Trek Madone 5.0, and am eager to burn off the fat. I work just up from the rose Bowl in Pasadena, so I have no excuses now!
Just be carefull to incrementally increase your efforts and avoid overdoing it or a possible injury. I am finding that food portion control is the hardest thing to practice. Be carefull not to reward yourself with extra food because, "I just rode my @$$ off for two hours" or "ghee whiz honey, I just burned 1000 calories so I can have a little extra"!
Your pal at 48 years 5'11" and 260
Old 04-23-07, 10:53 AM
Tskuller
crooked member

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50 & Giant FCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'8" and currently at 205. Would like to be down to 175 by Sept. for my second MS 150 ride.

https://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...l/IMG_0421.jpg
Old 04-25-07, 09:37 AM
Slothman

Bikes: 2006 Giant OCR 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. I joined a couple months ago, but was waiting until I got a pic of my bike before posting here. '06 Giant OCR 2:

My story: In January of '06, I weighed 327 pounds, my heaviest. My wife was ~8 months pregnant with our first child, and I realized that I needed to lose a lot of weight if I wanted to be around for my child(ren), and if I wanted to participate with them in any outdoor activities. That summer I learned about sprint distance triathlons, and decided that that would be a great goal to train towards to help me get back in shape. So I set that goal to complete a sprint triathlon in the spring or summer of '07. I quickly borrowed a friend's bike, and began swimming and running. In October my work started hosting (and paying for if you don't gain) Weight Watchers meetings. I've lost a total of 55 pounds since WW started, and 64.2 pounds total. I'm currently at 262.8 and losing.

In March I purchased the bike above, and this past weekend (4/21/07) I got it out on the road for the first time. It was great - I can't believe how awesome road biking is. Had I known I think I would have started much earlier!

-Jeff
Old 04-30-07, 01:11 PM
CheesyD

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everyone... I'm 49 years old, 5'9" and currently about 265. My belly looks like I swallowed a basketball. I feel like crap all the time and don't get any exercise other than walking to the fridge. I have hypertension and am basically a walking time bomb.

I bought an '04 Specialized Expedition and at first rode nearly every day. I have since moved from New Mexico to Maine (job related) and just this morning pulled the bike out of storage (the snow is gone and the rainy season is here). The movers dismantled the bike to squeeze it onto the moving van so the bike is in a shambles. I plan on getting it to a local shop to get it all up to snuff again in the next week or two. We now live close to Acadia National Park and there are many trails to ride there. I'd like to get back down to the 190 pound range which I haven't seen in about 12 years. Anyway, I'm a short, chunk of a Clydesdale and will stick with the Expedition until some pounds come off and I can ride a few miles without coughing up a lung. Then maybe I'll graduate to a road bike and do more long distance stuff. I just bought the "Heft on Wheels" book on eBay ($6 shipped) so look forward to reading that and hopefully gaining some inspiration.

Last edited by CheesyD; 04-30-07 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-30-07, 05:34 PM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
losing it!

Originally Posted by CheesyD
Hey everyone... I'm 49 years old, 5'9" and currently about 265. My belly looks like I swallowed a basketball. I feel like crap all the time and don't get any exercise other than walking to the fridge. I have hypertension and am basically a walking time bomb.

I bought an '04 Specialized Expedition and at first rode nearly every day. I have since moved from New Mexico to Maine (job related) and just this morning pulled the bike out of storage (the snow is gone and the rainy season is here). The movers dismantled the bike to squeeze it onto the moving van so the bike is in a shambles. I plan on getting it to a local shop to get it all up to snuff again in the next week or two. We now live close to Acadia National Park and there are many trails to ride there. I'd like to get back down to the 190 pound range which I haven't seen in about 12 years. Anyway, I'm a short, chunk of a Clydesdale and will stick with the Expedition until some pounds come off and I can ride a few miles without coughing up a lung. Then maybe I'll graduate to a road bike and do more long distance stuff. I just bought the "Heft on Wheels" book on eBay ($6 shipped) so look forward to reading that and hopefully gaining some inspiration.
I can relate to everything you are saying! When I started riding again it was after colon cancer surgery and I could barely do 5 miles without feeling like I would pass out. These days, I can ride 40-50 miles without too much discomfort and while my weight hasn't gone down much, I am in better shape than I was a few years ago. Anything that you can do consistantly and that you enjoy, will be a benefit, if you don't regularly overdo it! Eating about 25% less will help get the fat off. Just don't reward yourself with an extra helping, "because I just rode for an hour", and I'm starving! I know, I did this and got no weight loss at all. You will gain some muscle from the excercise but in order to lose the fat you have to cut back just a few hundred calories each day from what you normally eat. Its a tough thing to maintain but you can do it. I'm in the process my self, one day at a time.
Old 05-03-07, 08:42 AM
novielo
DIY everything

Bikes: 197x venture lamans, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi everyone, i'm new here.i wanted to send a message to all of you here, 'cause i can't be in this thread 'cause i'm 175 now.
i'm 5'6 and i was 200 last summer. i bought an el-cheapo donwhill mtn bike to ride it on the road... i'm kinda masochist with myself... but wanted something to train hard so this 40+ pounbs beast, with 2" wide tires was the choice. first time i rode it my belly was that big that i almost throw up after the 10km i did 'cause it was squeezed between my legs and myself... i was pretty angry but didn't throw up (the towel :-) ). i kept go on, even put screws on the front tire this winter (i'm from montreal suburbans in canada). now i'm 175 and to continue in the masochist area, i'm building myself a fixed gear to gain a little distance in my training.

keep on ridding everybody!!! it's always fun to see a toothpick cyclist hauled by clydesdale!!!
Old 05-05-07, 11:03 PM
xxldave

Bikes: 86' RockHopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys! This is my inaugural post here. I want to get back into riding my bike! Tom I realy appreciate your video, what an inspiration! I'm 6'8" and am currently tipping the scales at 394. I lost 70 pounds last year on WW (Started at 425) and have let the weight creep back on. I'm back at WW and am dropping weight again. My goal is 245-255. In my younger years I used to ride a bike to get everywhere - school, baseball, basketball etc. and had a Schwinn Varsity that was huge and weighed a ton. My current bike is an 86' Rockhopper which I have never been that happy with. Even with the longest seat post and stem I could find I still feel cramped riding it. It wasn't that big of deal when I first bought it and weighed 265, but now it's more of an issue. I originally stumbled onto the forum looking for some suggestions on a larger frame...and then found the Clydesdales! I think I may live in the mountain bike capital of the world here in Bend, Oregon and should just go out and visit a few bike shops tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for letting me share!
Old 05-05-07, 11:51 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by xxldave
Hey guys! This is my inaugural post here. I want to get back into riding my bike! Tom I realy appreciate your video, what an inspiration! I'm 6'8" and am currently tipping the scales at 394. I lost 70 pounds last year on WW (Started at 425) and have let the weight creep back on. I'm back at WW and am dropping weight again. My goal is 245-255. In my younger years I used to ride a bike to get everywhere - school, baseball, basketball etc. and had a Schwinn Varsity that was huge and weighed a ton. My current bike is an 86' Rockhopper which I have never been that happy with. Even with the longest seat post and stem I could find I still feel cramped riding it. It wasn't that big of deal when I first bought it and weighed 265, but now it's more of an issue. I originally stumbled onto the forum looking for some suggestions on a larger frame...and then found the Clydesdales! I think I may live in the mountain bike capital of the world here in Bend, Oregon and should just go out and visit a few bike shops tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for letting me share!
Welcome to Clydes, Dave!

I run a weight loss database if you want to participate. Just PM me an email address and I'll send you the invite and add you to the database. That way, you can track your loss with a graph and everything. It's automated self entry now and it's free of course. We'll give you all the support we can to help you achieve your goal!

I also have a Spinner Saturday mileage tracking database as well. See the sticky about it.

Old 05-06-07, 01:04 PM
MarylandDeRosa
Likes Steel and Lugs

Bikes: 1984 Trek 660, Buzz Bike Eliminator,1987 Schwinn Paramount, 1983 Trek 730

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6' 0" and weigh 220 doubt I'll ever be below 200. However most people guess my weight at 185 to 190 so I can't complain about how I look. Was up to about 240 due to the fact I was a manager in the car business and worked 60 hour weeks with 15 hours a week drivetime. Now I'm out of the car biz and working 40 hour weeks I shed the pounds riding my ferrari red De Rosa Neo Primato which replaced my Trek 660 a couple of years ago. My goal is to get down to 205-210.
Old 05-07-07, 09:36 AM
MrXpress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'll toss out an intro post as well. I'm 6'3" and around 240 lbs. and just recently purchased a Kona Lana'i, which replaced a $200 Costco special with FS (eek!) and 24" wheels (double eek! talk about eating my knees). I'm still a complete and utter noob to cycling, but I certainly think it will become a passion of mine, and hopefully as a nice bonus drop my weight to around the clydesdale 'limit'.
Old 05-08-07, 06:43 PM
kuroiarashi

Bikes: 2005 GIANT Cypress LX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello to my fellow Clydesdales,

I wanted to read through all of the posts in this awesome thread before I made my first post, and I finally did it. I'm 6' 1" and 357 lbs. At my heaviest, I was 409 lbs. in November of '06, with a BP of 146/90. My wife and I have been walking for exercise for about 3 years, but I've been inconsistent and lackadaisical towards it for most of the time. That attitude was wiped out once I saw those scales go over 400. Today, I'm down 52 lbs., working hard at leading an active lifestyle (no small feat for a software developer), and my BP is down to 128/78.

We've been wanting to get bikes for some time, both to add another option to the physical activity and because bikes are just plain cool. Frankly, I can't think of a better way to reward myself for 50 lbs of weight loss and my wife for being super supportive. We picked them up yesterday, an '05 Giant Cypress LX for me and an '06 Giant Cypress DX for the Mrs. We're still working out how best to mix cycling in with walking as far as exercise, but I'm just having fun riding again.

The stories on here are so encouraging to me as I head towards my first goal of 300. I hope to learn a great deal, and to be able to add something encouraging for someone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.