Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Cinelli! Lots of pics! :)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Cinelli! Lots of pics! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-23, 10:46 AM
Silver02M5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

The paint appears to not be original, but not sure.

Bottom bracket with serial number.

Dropouts.

Rear brake bridge

Braze-on cable guide. Three dot painted lugs.

Three dot lugs.

Seat post clamp area.

Sticker head tube badge.

Hello, I need some help in identifying my frame. I was originally thinking that it was of unknown origins with a Cinelli bottom bracket, but I recently noticed that it has a Cinelli stamped brake bridge. Can someone help me with identifying the make, model, and approximate year of the frame? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Likes For Silver02M5:
Old 09-28-23, 11:00 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I don't know enough about earlier Cinellis but that second set of water bottle braze-ons seems highly unusual, and the braze-ons themselves look different. Early versions of my 1989 vintage didn't even have them. This might help explain the repaint. The "Flying C" logo is from 1979; New lugs without the holes were designed in 1982, the same year the sloping fork crown got the logo. I'm guessing that the serial number indicates it's from 1983, perhaps using up older lug stock.

Last edited by smd4; 09-28-23 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-28-23, 11:30 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I was referring to painters leaving behind a decal.
paint by Joe Bell was incorporated into the RS graphics, but not fully sure on the very latest version designed by House.
Old 09-28-23, 12:01 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver02M5

The paint appears to not be original, but not sure.

Bottom bracket with serial number.

Dropouts.

Rear brake bridge

Braze-on cable guide. Three dot painted lugs.

Three dot lugs.

Seat post clamp area.

Sticker head tube badge.

Hello, I need some help in identifying my frame. I was originally thinking that it was of unknown origins with a Cinelli bottom bracket, but I recently noticed that it has a Cinelli stamped brake bridge. Can someone help me with identifying the make, model, and approximate year of the frame? Any help is greatly appreciated.
My best guess is it is a 1983 Cinelli SC, repainted. The serial number is consistent with the system Cinelli introduced in 1980, with "83" indicated the year. (Strong people have lost their minds trying to make sense out of the pre-1980 serial numbers - they seem to have been randomly assigned.) In that year, it would have had the new "Flying C" graphics, not the style you have (which I much prefer, FWIW). I have also never seen that shade of green on a Cinelli - a basic, shiny green similar to what Schwinn used to call "Campus Green," but nothing that olive-y.

Here is a prior BF discussion of Cinelli serial numbers, which has a bunch of good info. In post #2, iab lists the two best resources for dating Cinellis, especially the link to Velo Retro's Cinelli timeline. These resources will tell you a lot.

If yours is a 1983 Cinelli, that would be about five years after Cino Cinelli sold the company and about three years after master builder Luigi Valsasina retired. That also appears to be the yeat they went from a 26.2mm seat post diameter to 27.2mm

Here is what Sheldon Brown had to say about this era of Cinellis:
Around 1978 Cinelli was sold to the Columbo family. There are bikes with either the new or old logo's from this period. Until about 1980, while the graphics could go either way, the brake bridges and bottom bracket shells had new Cinelli logs making these bikes recognizable. Headbadge examples are worth more, perhaps $1,600, although modern logo bikes from the same period are just as good. From around 1980 until perhaps 1981 or 1982, Cinelli bikes with the new logo using a 26.2 seatpost and the lugs with 3 holes in each were very nice. Many do not consider these to be "real" Cinelli bikes, but they are at least as good as many of the earlier ones. Apparently either some very good builders from the previous period continued on, or work was contracted to outside builders of considerable talent. These bikes from this period deserve to be classics in their own right. Their geometry is upright, yet the ride is comfortable. These are bikes designed for the fast short distance riding so common in the United States. They, nonetheless, will handle mountain descents with ease as well! These bikes are worth perhaps $1,500 and are worth every penny and then some.
Sometime around 1983 it all ended. The 26.2 sleeved seat lug was replaced wit a different cast model that used a 27.2 post. The familiar 3 hole lugs were gone as well. Quality during the following years took a pretty heavy hit as well. Many examples didn't even have chrome lugs. These examples in S.R. are worth about $800. By the late 80's quality improved and chrome lugs returned. It just, however, isn't the same.
Here's the link to St. Sheldon's Cinelli comments. The article is at least 20 years old, so take the dollar figures with a grain of salt, but the general comments are still valid. Yes, it's one man's opinion, but it is one the most well-informed opinions you will find. Beware - even though he died - what is it? 10 years ago? 15? - his website is still a fantastic reference for all manner of bike info and it is easy to spend an hour or six rummaging through it.

Welcome to the Cinelli club cult.
Old 09-28-23, 12:01 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
it is a Cinelli, built in the Columbo shop, serial number dates it to 1983. Unusual color.

The lack of chrome points to a possible repaint.

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 09-28-23 at 12:25 PM.
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 09-28-23, 02:27 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
It's as pointed out above, a 1983 Cinelli, certainly repainted and second, non matching, water bottle bosses added. Wong decals applied for for 1983, but it's a real Cinelli.
Old 09-29-23, 07:04 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Here is what Sheldon Brown had to say about this era of Cinellis:

Sometime around 1983 it all ended....It just, however, isn't the same.

Yes, it's one man's opinion,
Exactly. One man's opinion. And when he says stuff like this, his credibility diminishes.

Old 09-29-23, 11:57 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Soon to be rephotographed with a fresh painted fork.
Silver rims and Gumwall tires are a hope.
Ask and ye shall receive, at least this time. Don't get too used to it.

Here is the same silver 1965ish 64cm Cinelli from Post #143, with the new Ed Litton fork. I also changed the wheels from Chorus to Record 10sp hubs (still on Mavic Open Pro rims, but all-silver in a nod to repechage's sensibilities and, truth be told, my preference), the cassette and chain, the headset, the brakes (same mismatched Tektros, just newer and shinier), and the left ergo shifter because the old one decided it would shift onto the big chainwheel but not stay there. Except for the left ergos shifter, none of the swaps were strictly necessary and did not effect much if any change to the bike, but since I had to strip it down to frame and fork anyway and I had the parts, what the heck. There isn't a single original part on it with the possible exception of the seat post bolt and precious few period-correct parts. But it rode great on the shake-down cruise, and I have no doubt it is back to being the bike I reach for a significant majority of the time.

Old 09-29-23, 12:29 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
14 years since my last "new" bike. Nemo with Ekar. My apologies for being off topic.

Nemo01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 09-29-23, 01:23 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
^ I REALLY like this one, iab ! Very pleasing to the eye.

What can you tell us about the wheel set?
Old 09-29-23, 03:16 PM
iab

Generic. I use a forum guy, Psimet Wheels. My ask was silver, 32 holes, 3 cross and Ekar compatible. He sources everything. They ain't light like my off-topic carbon wheels, but they ain't bad either. I wanted a silver build and it is not easy. I ditched the Ekar crank for eeWings from Cane Creek. I know a guy there and got them on the cheap. Got an Ekar-compatible ring out of the UK. Had to strip the black anodizing. Ritchey for the rest.

The color is called Sugar Paper. "Semi-custom". I thought it was the prettiest one Cinelli offered.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-29-23, 03:19 PM
iab

It is taking the place of Pinky. I call it New Pinky. Pinky will be at the Madison swap for those interested.

Umberto Dei 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 09-30-23, 06:48 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
So in other words, you're a masochist. Got it.

BTW, I noticed the seller lists the seat post diameter as 26.0mm. I'd bet lunch that it's really 26.2mm. But you probably knew that.
I'm certainly no authority on Cinellis. I measured the seat post again today and got readings ranging from 26.01 to 26.45, which makes sense for 26.2. I may have originally only measured one or two spots, resulting in the 26.0 listed. I should have been more thorough as I know seat posts aren't uniformly their stated diameter. I don't recall seeing a size stamped when the post was removed for cleaning and new grease.

Likes For Rooney: