Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Strava Crushed my Soul

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Strava Crushed my Soul

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-20, 03:34 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
WGScott x 2. I don't care as I'm not competing with anyone but myself. And after the ride if I am happy with it why pay to find out someone else' performance? I guess I'm just lazy but this is a way I'm quite happy in life not dissatisfied with my day. I am hoping to live longer that way. Be Well, Bluesfrog
Old 05-30-20, 05:32 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferCyclist
Yeah well not too many KOMs got into a strong headwind either! People are either drafting and/or have a strong tailwind, certainly on flattish segments.
Naturally, that's just par for the course - hence home advantage means you can go out in all conditions plus know the segment really well.

Locally, going for KOM's is known as 'chasing Pokemon's' and 'Pokémon Season' is the windiest for a reason. True too that it will be hard to collect KOM's on segments with pelotons rolling through them or frequented by Pro's - one near me has names such as Richie Porte, Tejay van Garderen and Thomas de Gendt on it. I live in a place they like to do pre-season training prior to the Volta ao Algarve - won my Remco Evanepoel earlier this year. I train on the same roads.

Mine are all on popular competitive roads but away from the main routes that the larger groups or Pro's tend to go on. Plus, I go for the short sprints, mainly, ideally with inclines of around 4-7%, basically my HIIT training roads. The longest popular segment I have is about 5km but again, no Pro has been on it yet, nor it seems a large group.
Old 06-01-20, 09:27 AM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
I am 58 and decided I need to do something about my ever expanding waistline. I used to ride a bit years ago but lately have ridden the couch a lot more than my bikes. Enougy is enough. I decided I need to do some sort of tracking of my rides if for no other reason than to at least know how far I've gone, how fast I went and how much elevation gain I've climbed. Those are all motivating things for me. I don't care how I compare to others. I just want to see some improvement with each ride. Three weeks into it and I'm definitely seeing progress and improvement, as I should at this early stage. The most important thing for me is to feel stronger on the hills. When I started two weeks ago I couldn't stand to grind out the hills. Last week I began to stand on the final steep climb of the ride. And each time feels stronger. Strava is giving me record of my rides and giving me someting to compare myself against, meaning myself. I won't pay for the extra stuff. All I need is the basic stats.
Likes For MntnMan62:
Old 06-07-20, 05:44 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Strava Crushed My soul

I use Strava and am in the 75+ group; there are several Strava sections I try to be KOM on. There are about 40 of us in Orange county so things can get very competitive. My latest soul crushing incident was a section that felt really good. I was about 50th out of 10,000 riders overall. Had to be a KOM in 75+! Guess what - I was 3rd in 75+.
Likes For fastcarbon: