Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Titanium

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 03:57 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Congrats on the new Ti bike.

I added a made-by-Lynskey Planet X Ti bike this winter and it has exceeded my expectations.

It rides as comfortably as my steel-framed bikes but offers great response to climbing and sprinting input. It really is a worthwhile upgrade.

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-18-10, 05:10 PM
deadly downtube
mountain troll

Bikes: the hummer brand mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yah get a steel touring frame, if it breaks on a tour, any guy who can weld can repair it and get you back on the road!
Old 04-18-10, 08:29 PM
akansaskid
Freddin' it

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice frame, Machka! I'm assuming it's not marketed as a touring frame, as I see no rack and fender eyelets and bosses. I'm wondering if there even are Ti touring-specific frames? Anyone know?

I know your bike meant a lot to you, but think of it as an opportunity for this gorgeous Ti bike! And, yes, pics of the build as it comes along.
Old 04-19-10, 02:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
This titanium bicycle will not be a touring bicycle ... it will be a randonneuring/audax/long-distance bicycle.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the British Racing Green idea.
Old 04-19-10, 05:18 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
This titanium bicycle will not be a touring bicycle ... it will be a randonneuring/audax/long-distance bicycle.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the British Racing Green idea.
care to explain the general difference between a touring bike and a long-distance bike? i thought these terms were used pretty much synonymously?
Old 04-19-10, 05:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by AngryScientist
care to explain the general difference between a touring bike and a long-distance bike? i thought these terms were used pretty much synonymously?
No ... long distance cycling is quite different from touring.

Touring is when you load up panniers full of travel gear onto a rear (and possibly front) rack, and set off on an adventure where you ride, generally, less than 100 km a day over a weekend or several days, weeks, or months. For touring you want a strong, comfortable bicycle with the capability to carry fairly heavy loads.

Long distance cycling (especially the randonneuring type of long distance cycling) is when you try to cover a very long distance in a relatively short period of time. For example, the 300 km brevet has a time limit of 20 hours, including all breaks ... the 600 km brevet has a time limit of 40 hours ... the 1200 km has a time limit of 90 hours. Long distance cycling is more about day events (i.e. a double century, a brevet, or a 24-hour race) or "all-at-once" events (i.e. 1200 km randonnee, Furnace Creeek 508, or RAAM). For long distance cycling you want a comfortable yet relatively light, fast bicycle.

I believe it was coasting who brought up the topic of "sportive" bicycles. "Sportive" bicycles are also known as "sports touring" bicycles, or "audax" bicycles. They have a geometry that is somewhere between that of a touring bicycle and a racing bicycle. They are designed for long distance cycling. And that's what Machak is ... and what I want my new bicycle to be.

I do both long distance cycling and touring ... although I tend to do more long distance cycling than I do touring.

Last edited by Machka; 04-19-10 at 05:49 AM.
Old 04-19-10, 05:47 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

No ... long distance cycling is quite different from touring.

Touring is when you load up panniers full of travel gear onto a rear (and possibly front) rack, and set off on an adventure where you ride, generally, less than 100 km a day over a weekend or several days, weeks, or months. For touring you want a strong, comfortable bicycle with the capability to carry fairly heavy loads.

Long distance cycling (especially the randonneuring type of long distance cycling) is when you try to cover a very long distance in a relatively short period of time. For example, the 300 km brevet has a time limit of 20 hours, including all breaks ... the 600 km brevet has a time limit of 40 hours ... the 1200 km has a time limit of 90 hours. For long distance cycling you want a comfortable yet relatively light, fast bicycle. Long distance cycling is more about day events (i.e. a double century, a brevet, or a 24-hour race) or "all-at-once" events (i.e. 1200 km randonnee, Furnace Creeek 508, or RAAM).

I believe it was coasting who brought up the topic of "sportive" bicycles. "Sportive" bicycles are also known as "sports touring" bicycles, or "audax" bicycles. They have a geometry that is somewhere between that of a touring bicycle and a racing bicycle. They are designed for long distance cycling. And that's what Machak is ... and what I want my new bicycle to be.

I do both long distance cycling and touring ... although I tend to do more long distance cycling than I do touring.
ahh, thanks for the explanation. i get it. from my recent experience with a new Ti bike, it sounds like it is perfectly suited to your needs. cheers!
Old 04-20-10, 04:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I debating between silver and black rims. I took a look at the Post Your Titaniums thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Your-Titaniums), and both look good.
Old 04-20-10, 05:15 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

I debating between silver and black rims. I took a look at the Post Your Titaniums thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Your-Titaniums), and both look good.
what type of wheels are you considering?
Old 04-20-10, 05:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Mavic Open Pro ... most likely.
Old 04-22-10, 10:21 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
When life hands you lemons....

Got a name for this one yet?

Kahcam?
Old 04-22-10, 11:31 AM
Drag
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice to see you're not letting the loss of your bike stop you from riding. All the best to you!
Old 04-23-10, 02:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I can't stop riding just like that ... I've been riding "seriously" (regularly, with purpose ... as opposed to occasionally and casually) for almost 20 years. In fact, I celebrate my 20 year anniversary on April 29th, the day I made the decision to start riding "seriously", and went out on the first of thousands of subsequent rides.

I have wanted a titanium bicycle for years, and it is kind of exciting to have Rowan build one with my input, etc. ....... but I'm having some trouble getting really enthusiastic. My heart isn't in it yet. It is probably a good thing we're building it slowly. So no, I haven't decided on a name, although Kahcam is an idea I will consider.

On the build front ... the brakes arrived today. Ultegra caliper road brakes.

So now I've got:
-- frame
-- bottle cages
-- pedals
-- brakes
-- seat post clamp
-- spacers
Old 04-23-10, 03:41 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I was unaware there was such a thing as 'serious' riding.
Old 04-23-10, 05:11 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
I was unaware there was such a thing as 'serious' riding.
But on the other hand... It's only you who's not riding seriously...
Old 04-23-10, 05:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

One thing we're having a bit of difficulty tracking down is a fork. I would like to go with steel, but steel forks seem to be rather rare. We have tracked some down from St. John Street Cycles.

I have my eye on this one, perhaps ... in dark green ...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-T...Fork-17674.htm

Tomorrow will be a shopping run. We're planning to head into Melbourne and have a look at several shops.
Old 04-23-10, 05:47 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's quite a nice fork. Are the eyelets for mounting front rack and fender?
Old 04-23-10, 05:53 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by FreddyV
That's quite a nice fork. Are the eyelets for mounting front rack and fender?
Yes ... and there are light mounts as well. I'm not sure that I'd run a front rack with this bicycle, but I do like front fenders.
Old 04-23-10, 05:54 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

One thing we're having a bit of difficulty tracking down is a fork. I would like to go with steel, but steel forks seem to be rather rare. We have tracked some down from St. John Street Cycles.

I have my eye on this one, perhaps ... in dark green ...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-T...Fork-17674.htm

Tomorrow will be a shopping run. We're planning to head into Melbourne and have a look at several shops.
kona makes a pretty nice one, we put one on a friends bike, its a well made piece and a great price.

https://store.comcycle-usa.com/Produc...spx?id=5860911
Old 04-23-10, 05:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Well ... on the shopping run tomorrow we'll have a look to see if there are any like that here in Australia. Shipping between NA and Australia is cost prohibitive ... it costs way too much to get anything from a US source.

But, that Kona fork looks pretty straight, not much of a curve (rake?) ... I think I'd want more of a curve.
Old 04-23-10, 06:27 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A curved fork does create a bit more of a comfortable ride due to a little longer wheelbase (as the rake is normally a little longer) and a bit more shock absorbtion. A straight fork with less rake would make it more directly responding to steering and would take a bit of comfort away.

Basically, for a long distance bike I would want a bit more comfort and I would go with a curved fork instead of a straight one. For a short ride I'd go with a little less comfort and a straight fork.
Old 04-24-10, 04:20 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

We took the train into Melbourne today on a shopping expedition where we visited a heap of bicycle shops. We now have a Dura-Ace cables for shifters and brakes, a SON dynohub for the front wheel, a front lamp, rear lights, a mirror, some tools (some of my tools and bits and pieces that I carry with me on long rides were also stolen), a couple pair of shorts (I have three that are wearing out badly just now, so I've now replaced them), and a rain jacket (my rain jacket was also stolen).

I had quite a few extra things stolen, aside from just Machak. My handlebar bag with a bunch of stuff, a stuff bag attached to my rear rack with a bunch of stuff, and an MEC waterproof breathable jacket were all stolen. Since we've got rides coming up, I've had to recollect a lot of this stuff.

And Rowan has just placed a rather large order with Chain Reaction Cycles for a lot of what we need to actually build the bicycle.

We are, however, still debating about a fork. Personally, I'd like steel, but there isn't much in the way of steel, and people (including Rowan) are trying to convince me that carbon would be a good choice.
Old 04-24-10, 04:26 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
But on the other hand... It's only you who's not riding seriously...
This from a guy who's name is Fred.
Old 04-24-10, 04:43 AM
FreddyV

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
This from a guy who's name is Fred.
So true.
Old 04-24-10, 07:41 AM
stedalus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A curved fork does create a bit more of a comfortable ride due to a little longer wheelbase (as the rake is normally a little longer) and a bit more shock absorbtion. A straight fork with less rake would make it more directly responding to steering and would take a bit of comfort away.

Basically, for a long distance bike I would want a bit more comfort and I would go with a curved fork instead of a straight one. For a short ride I'd go with a little less comfort and a straight fork.
This is pretty much wrong across the board. Straight blade forks can and do have just as much rake as curved blade forks. Even if they had less rake, this would increase the stability of the bike, possibly to the point of making it difficult to initiate turns. The difference in shock absorption or road feel between curved and straight blades is slight at best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.