Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-22, 07:55 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I hope you all like it. It took a while to work up from the base recipe to what I liked. That's the best part about it.. You can pretty much add or subtract to taste. I went with real whipping cream and a bit of powdered sugar, and other different ingredients, and went back to the trashy goodness that is Cool Whip.

Remove the chocolate and vanilla extract, add in 1/3-ish cup of fresh squeezed lemon, and it's a nice fluffy cheesecake. A little key lime cheesecake pie? 1/4 cup Nellie and Joe's Key West Lime juice. Again, add to taste.
Never realized you had these culinary skillz. I don’t have much patience for creating stuff in the kitchen, so I’ll have to somehow trick Mrs BD into trying your recipe. Where we stand now is that every now and then she will offer to make me a cheesecake and I will reply “ooh goodie”! Works for me.
Old 03-15-22, 08:11 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Opened my credit card bill last night. There is a $309.80 charge at Whole Foods. I’ve disputed it. I’ll bet it was $39.80. But even that seems high considering I was on foot that day.

309.80 seems about right for a gallon of milk at whole foods.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-15-22, 08:27 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Still looking for my first 2.

Wordle 269 3/6

⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I started playing on the archive and got two "2s" there. Today it took me 5.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-15-22, 08:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

Wordle 269 4/6

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
On Sunday Erica set a new national e.t. record for pro stock and still lost the round due to brain fade on the line. Her comment after: "I suck."
Likes For big john:
Old 03-15-22, 08:47 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Never realized you had these culinary skillz. I don’t have much patience for creating stuff in the kitchen, so I’ll have to somehow trick Mrs BD into trying your recipe. Where we stand now is that every now and then she will offer to make me a cheesecake and I will reply “ooh goodie”! Works for me.
The old talk about biscuits and stuff, and professional as opposed to home baked, always made me laugh. I baked for a living for a few years, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy cooking nearly as much, simply because it wasn't as regimented. A baking recipe calls for what it calls for, and there are only a few certain things you can change so as to not destroy the end product. Those things you do change can make that product sing.
Old 03-15-22, 08:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by big john
On Sunday Erica set a new national e.t. record for pro stock and still lost the round due to brain fade on the line. Her comment after: "I suck."
Yep. She's known for her lights, and is arguably the best on the tree for the last decade or so. This was rare, and she's kicking herself for that. With a density altitude of -1,200 feet, this was a rare chance to do something special. Which she did, but not in the manner she liked.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-15-22, 08:52 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
The old talk about biscuits and stuff, and professional as opposed to home baked, always made me laugh. I baked for a living for a few years, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't enjoy cooking nearly as much, simply because it wasn't as regimented. A baking recipe calls for what it calls for, and there are only a few certain things you can change so as to not destroy the end product. Those things you do change can make that product sing.
Funny how the mind works. My "internet impression" of you does not conjure up images of a pastry chef.
Old 03-15-22, 08:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Opened my credit card bill last night. There is a $309.80 charge at Whole Paycheck. I’ve disputed it. I’ll bet it was $39.80. But even that seems high considering I was on foot that day.
fixed
Old 03-15-22, 08:59 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Funny how the mind works. My "internet impression" of you does not conjure up images of a pastry chef.
Yep. Funny how life works. I was a bike riding fool back then, and not too fat for this sport, though I was over 200 pounds at that time. I refused to bake low fat anything., and taste tested everything. Graveyards allow you to live a different life. I would workout for 1-2 hours a day, then crack off at least 50 miles every day. I wasn't racing, I just rode (road) my can off, and lifted a lot.

It was an interesting time of my life.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-15-22, 09:08 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep. Funny how life works. I was a bike riding fool back then, and not too fat for this sport, though I was over 200 pounds at that time. I refused to bake low fat anything., and taste tested everything. Graveyards allow you to live a different life. I would workout for 1-2 hours a day, then crack off at least 50 miles every day. I wasn't racing, I just rode (road) my can off, and lifted a lot.

It was an interesting time of my life.
Bet it was!
Old 03-15-22, 09:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
309.80 seems about right for a gallon of milk at whole foods.
Only if you get the kind made in Ireland from grass-fed cows. Amazon has dumbed down the place to a good degree. I try to shop there as little as possible, but sometimes it's the only convenient option.

If I entered my Amazon prime number for the purchase it should be able to tell me what I was overcharged for. It's not the first time. One year around Thanksgiving someone weighed and priced all the containers of pineapple as pomegranate seeds. I caught that one at the register. Another time I got charged full price for a piece of halibut that was supposed to be half off. I got a receipt that time because I thought something was off. Caught it before I left the store. Rather than refunding me the difference between what I paid and what I should have paid I got the full amount back and got to keep the fish. I had another experience like that. I guess it's just quicker for them to reverse the entire charge than do a little math.

How I didn't notice a $309.80 charge concerns me.
Old 03-15-22, 09:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
More like this, please!
Wordle 269 3/6

🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-15-22, 09:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Exactly at 8:00 AM this morning, a demo crew started breaking up the concrete in our neighbor's back yard. Mrs. GeneJockey said it would have been nice to be warned, but I told her the dumpster in their driveway was a dead giveaway. Poor little Dory is vibrating with anxiety. Rango, of course, is sleeping like the dead. Some Greyhounds are very sensitive to loud noises, and some DGAF.

Old 03-15-22, 09:49 AM
Mojo31
-------

Only if you get the kind made in Ireland from grass-fed cows. Amazon has dumbed down the place to a good degree. I try to shop there as little as possible, but sometimes it's the only convenient option.

If I entered my Amazon prime number for the purchase it should be able to tell me what I was overcharged for. It's not the first time. One year around Thanksgiving someone weighed and priced all the containers of pineapple as pomegranate seeds. I caught that one at the register. Another time I got charged full price for a piece of halibut that was supposed to be half off. I got a receipt that time because I thought something was off. Caught it before I left the store. Rather than refunding me the difference between what I paid and what I should have paid I got the full amount back and got to keep the fish. I had another experience like that. I guess it's just quicker for them to reverse the entire charge than do a little math.

How I didn't notice a $309.80 charge concerns me.
Distracted by the hot chick in the store perhaps? I once erroneously wrote in a $60 tip on a $30 hamburger meal. My wife caught it and said, "She's cute but not that cute."
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-15-22, 09:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

So the Habanero is still unassembled, but I have started to reassemble it in my mind (it's a start).

When I put it together years ago, I put a smidge of Carbon paste/prep on the CF seatpost, and it did not slip or seize at all over the years. I am inclined to repeat this process, but I did an internet and BF search and it seems there is no consensus on what prep (if any) to put on CF seatpost going into a Ti frame. I expect that means there is no perfect choice and it probably does not really matter.

Thoughts?
Old 03-15-22, 10:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by datlas
So the Habanero is still unassembled, but I have started to reassemble it in my mind (it's a start).

When I put it together years ago, I put a smidge of Carbon paste/prep on the CF seatpost, and it did not slip or seize at all over the years. I am inclined to repeat this process, but I did an internet and BF search and it seems there is no consensus on what prep (if any) to put on CF seatpost going into a Ti frame. I expect that means there is no perfect choice and it probably does not really matter.

Thoughts?
I've always thought that the paste gives the smooth carbon a "grip" and have used it on all parts that connect with carbon (stem, seatpost, etc.).

Worst case is if you don't use it and you get some slippage, you can always add it later.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-15-22, 11:50 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Distracted by the hot chick in the store perhaps? I once erroneously wrote in a $60 tip on a $30 hamburger meal. My wife caught it and said, "She's cute but not that cute."
Probably just in a rush to get out of there. I hate shopping there since Amazon took it over. It's definitely not the same business. I am often in such a hurry to get out of there that I forget one or two things. These days I usually only go there on my way home from my NJ office a couple of days/week. It's on the way and close to home, I can park easily in their garage, shop and then make it home in time to find a parking space near my house. But this happened on a Saturday. I looked at some photos on my phone to remind myself of the day. The city was digging up the street in front of my house, so I didn't move my car. I remember walking there, getting a sandwich for lunch and eating it in a park next to the Rodin Museum with the NYT crossword. I may have bought a few other food items, then I walked a couple of blocks to the liquor store because the only other charge for that day is from there.

BTW...The REI sale starts Friday. I have $205 and change in dividend money. I possibly see a new UL tent in my future.
Old 03-15-22, 12:35 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Yup, baking is essentially chemistry, so it calls for more precision.
Old 03-15-22, 12:41 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

Thoughts?
I of course missed the end of the hand-wringing - what's the decision?
Old 03-15-22, 12:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by BillyD
Yup, baking is essentially chemistry, so it calls for more precision.
Cooking is art, baking is science.

Old 03-15-22, 12:54 PM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts

Thoughts?
I would stick with the carbon paste and make sure there's a good coating of it on the seat post before assembly. It won't hurt and may help to prevent slippage and make disassembly easier. I would trust it over using a standard grease on a carbon seatpost too.
Likes For mvnsnd:
Old 03-15-22, 01:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
I of course missed the end of the hand-wringing - what's the decision?
Decision for the seatpost? Likely will reapply carbon paste since that worked well from previous. I honestly have not touched the seatpost in almost a decade and it came out ok.

If you mean decision on the build, I went with Ultegra R8000 mechanical groupset. I chose that because of cost and because the newer electric groupsets are a PITA to run with external wires and/or cannot be had with rim brakes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-15-22, 01:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by mvnsnd
I would stick with the carbon paste and make sure there's a good coating of it on the seat post before assembly. It won't hurt and may help to prevent slippage and make disassembly easier. I would trust it over using a standard grease on a carbon seatpost too.
That's what I am thinking. Thanks.
Old 03-15-22, 01:25 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
That's what I am thinking. Thanks.
i would do the same
Old 03-15-22, 01:29 PM
Mojo31
-------

Porsche "f*** me" moment of the day.

Time for a new one.

Update - Discount Tire fixed it for free.

Saved me $350.
Likes For Mojo31:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.