Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you wave at eBike riders?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you wave, nod, or acknowledge passing eBike riders?
Yes.
29.63%
No.
41.98%
Sometimes. I wave as the fancy takes me.
18.52%
Only if I'm on an eBike too.
1.23%
Other.
8.64%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Do you wave at eBike riders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-23, 10:32 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Hey, I have pants on, should I wave at everyone I walk past who also has pants?
All I know is if you're walking toward me on the sidewalk with no pants on I'm probably not returning your wave.
Old 05-04-23, 10:40 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Mad respect to anyone who exclusively waves to a single type of cyclist or actively descriminates against a single type of cyclist while waving at all others. Must require some real conviction, which is admirable in itself in a way.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 05-04-23, 10:50 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I typically wave at other people when I ride in my neighbourhood, whether they're families taking a walk or people on bikes (including e-bikes). I have no reason to distinguish non-electric bikes and e-bikes. Honestly, I don't understand how people can come up with a survey like this. Maybe the OP is joking and I lack the sense of humour...

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-04-23, 11:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Too many people in my area riding all kinds of bicycles.
This.

But if someone is going my way on a bike I admire (vintage), I'll say "nice bike" or strike up conversion. If they're going the other way, I won't say anything; I'll just stare at their bike as long as I can to take it in.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-04-23, 11:07 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,659 Times in 2,928 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I typically wave at other people when I ride in my neighbourhood, whether they're families taking a walk or people on bikes (including e-bikes). I have no reason to distinguish non-electric bikes and e-bikes. Honestly, I don't understand how people can come up with a survey like this. Maybe the OP is joking and I lack the sense of humour...

I’m afraid your Seattle is showing. How do I know this, I do exactly the same thing. I wave or say hi to people out walking, farmers, cyclists, and cars that cross the line to give me room.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-05-23, 04:06 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
why is this not surprising?
What surprises me is why so many cyclists feel such strong obligation to wave at other cyclists and if they didn't wave they feel guilty like they did something wrong...and if the other cyclist doesn't return their wave, they feel offended and have their feeling hurt.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-05-23, 04:09 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Xavier65
I assume that most cyclists do say hello, wave, or nod to other passing cyclists
You're assuming too much, because that's not the case at all.
Old 05-05-23, 04:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
. It is like the people who eat pigs and cows all day every day but won't eat dogs or cats, they have closed, biased minds..

Open minded people eat cats? WTH?

Raises the question of whether you wave at a person barbecuing a cat.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-05-23 at 05:04 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-05-23, 04:48 AM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
You're assuming too much, because that's not the case at all.
Ok, maybe I should have said 'many'.

I was in a hurry.

And I do think this is best categorised under 'general', because it concerns the general population's views on whether 'cyclist acknowledgement protocol' should be limited to human-powered cycles (or at least, apparently human-powered).
Old 05-05-23, 05:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

I assume that most cyclists do say hello, wave, or nod to other passing cyclists, but not to motorcycle or moped riders.

This is what is known as a heroic assumption.

​​​​​Where you'll see the highest number of cyclists passing each other is almost certainly a MUP, and outside of passing announcements, I don't see much interaction between cyclists there at all. If I encounter another cyclist out in the boonies, we usually nod, wave or say "hi", but in sn urban setting, probably not. I don't encounter ebike riders in the boonies, so who knows?

Do you wave at people on penny farthings?
Old 05-05-23, 05:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ok, maybe I should have said 'many'.

I was in a hurry.

And I do think this is best categorised under 'general', because it concerns the general population's views on whether 'cyclist acknowledgement protocol' should be limited to human-powered cycles (or at least, apparently human-powered).
You're new here, so you probably don't know that there's been comically contentious threads about whether it's impolite not to wave at other cyclists. It's hilarious to see how worked up people get about this complete non-issue. Not your fault for not knowing about that, but expect some silly heat.

Just a personal preference, but I think it's better to just post the question without using the poll function.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-05-23, 06:32 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I'll respond to any wave I see, even pedestrians. I don't initiate a wave unless it's someone I know.
Old 05-05-23, 06:48 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's hilarious to see how worked up people get about this complete non-issue.
It's only the chronic obsessive wavers who get emotionally worked up about it.
Old 05-05-23, 06:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

What surprises me is why so many cyclists feel such strong obligation to wave at other cyclists and if they didn't wave they feel guilty like they did something wrong...and if the other cyclist doesn't return their wave, they feel offended and have their feeling hurt.

You're assuming way too much with the "feel guilty" part, it doesn't surprise me that some people are extremely friendly to strangers generally. The people who get offended if the wave isn't reciprocated are not people I've knowingly encountered IRL, just a few posters on BF as far as I can tell.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-05-23, 06:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's only the chronic obsessive wavers who get emotionally worked up about it.

Did you read post #23?
Old 05-05-23, 07:11 AM
Xavier65

Bikes: Saracen Conquest. Claud Butler Majestic. Viking VK500. Crossmaxx 28" Pinion.

This is what is known as a heroic assumption.
I should have qualified it, e.g.

I assume, that in sparsely populated regions where one may typically encounter around 1-3 passing cyclists on a cycle ride of a few hours, ...
Likes For Xavier65:
Old 05-05-23, 07:14 AM
Xavier65

You're new here, so you probably don't know that there's been comically contentious threads about whether it's impolite not to wave at other cyclists. It's hilarious to see how worked up people get about this complete non-issue. Not your fault for not knowing about that, but expect some silly heat.

Just a personal preference, but I think it's better to just post the question without using the poll function.
A good job I didn't ask if acknowledgement depends upon whether the other cyclist is helmetted or not.

It's not often I'm invited to create a poll, so I figured it was a good opportunity to see how it worked.
Likes For Xavier65:
Old 05-05-23, 07:41 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 491 Posts
I have an e-cargo bike for hauling kids around and 4 regular bikes with pedals and no motor. I take the cargo bike to places like the swimming pool and daycare, all other rides on my good bikes.

Even with that, I’ve noticed bike hate. People who feel obligated to make a snide comment. Or rude looks.

Yes I just passed you uphill with two kids singing a song about the solar system. But it’s not a competition. I’m in a minivan and I know it. Calm down.

If you want me to smoke you uphill on my regular bike, I’m sure I can do that too.
Old 05-05-23, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I should have qualified it, e.g.

I assume, that in sparsely populated regions where one may typically encounter around 1-3 passing cyclists on a cycle ride of a few hours, ...

LOL! I like how good a sport you're being about this.

Maybe the better way to approach it was to say "for those of you who wave to other cyclists, do you wave at riders of ebikes?"
Old 05-05-23, 07:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have an e-cargo bike for hauling kids around and 4 regular bikes with pedals and no motor. I take the cargo bike to places like the swimming pool and daycare, all other rides on my good bikes.

Even with that, I’ve noticed bike hate. People who feel obligated to make a snide comment. Or rude looks.

Yes I just passed you uphill with two kids singing a song about the solar system. But it’s not a competition. I’m in a minivan and I know it. Calm down.

If you want me to smoke you uphill on my regular bike, I’m sure I can do that too.
Where I don't like people riding full speed with a heavy ebike is on a bike path, but I think that's a safety issue. You can do a lot more damage at 20 mph with a 500 pound vehicle than you can with a 200 pound one.
Old 05-05-23, 08:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6974 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
About eight years ago, some guy on a bike just totally ignored me as we passed each other. The thrice-weekly therapy has helped, but man...It still hurts.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-05-23, 08:06 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 378 Posts
If conditions permit it, sure!

Bikes, trikes, ebikes, mopeds, scooter, motorcycles, etc... - are at a severe safety disadvantage compared to increasingly larger cars, SUVs, and trucks. Recent road fatality statistics for us "marginalized" road users are discouraging. We should all stick together and advocate for safety. Two wheels good, and walkers and runners too.
Old 05-05-23, 08:08 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Where I used to live and ride, I noticed no bikers waved back. Here, I encounter more friendly bikers.
Old 05-05-23, 08:10 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Most of the ebike riders here in Philly are as discourteous as automobile drivers, so I hold them in equal disdain. The delivery folks are probably the worst, just one notch above a thoughtless uber driver. So no, they don't get the nod that I'll give to approaching cyclists which lets them know I'm aware. The ebike riders here don't seem to even be paying attention, so they probably wouldn't even see a nod or a couple fingers over the handlebar.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 05-05-23, 08:18 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 378 Posts
Why wave at anyone? Do you wave at other automobile drivers when you pass them going the other way? If you think about how odd that would be, then you should apply it to all situations. It is like the people who eat pigs and cows all day every day but won't eat dogs or cats, they have closed, biased minds. Motorcyclists do the same weird thing, wave at each other because they are both on motorcycles. Hey, I have pants on, should I wave at everyone I walk past who also has pants? Or who has some teeth left?
Motorcyclists ride because they love how it feels and despite being told at every party that someone's cousin's nephew's friend's father got into a bad wreck and now can't make their own lemonade. And we all know someone that has been seriously injured or killed in an accident. So we wave at each other as a sign of camaraderie in our small community of riders.

And I've mostly owned fun cars (Miata, Jeep, S2000, Element) where owners share their love of their rigs with a friendly wave. Costs nothing and puts a smile on my face.

It is hilarious that e-bikers think they are "cyclists", when in reality they are motor-vehicle operators, no different than those driving automobiles or operating motorcycles, except for some reason they do not need a vehicle title, safety inspection, insurance or registration. A Tesla automobile, an E-car, needs all that legal stuff to be on the road, but if it has two wheels it does not ??? There are a thousand slobs running around my city on e-bikes, bicycles with little two-stroke engines, and even gas-powered mini-bikes every-day, all day. If they are having fun or getting somewhere they need to be great, but if they wave to me when I am on a bicycle because they think they have something in common with me, they can go to ache-eee-double-toothpicks.
You sound like the kind of guy that would tell me that your cousin's nephew's friend's father got into a bad wreck and now can't make their own lemonade.
Likes For john m flores:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.