Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage bike deserves vintage watch

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 05:30 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 1,389 Times in 728 Posts

I have yet to find a vintage watch mechanical watch that can handle the vibrations from riding. I have an Omega (1950s), Timex(takes a lickin'), Bulova(1960s) and Movado(1960s). Every one of them loses significant time over a couple of days if I ride with them. They are all mechanical wind.

I have an automatic Titus from the 80s that used to work perfectly, did so for years, but something has happened and now the weight comes loose on every ride.

Anyone have a proven suggestion of a mechanical watch that doesn't weigh a pound and take up serious real estate on the wrist?
Old 11-12-13, 05:51 PM
GerryJarcia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as I love vintage watches they just aren't meant for riding. Even the modern automatics with incanblonc shock protection will have issues after anything more than a leisurely bike ride. Stick to g-shocks and garmin watches or you'll be racking up quite the bill with your local watchsmith.
Old 11-12-13, 05:51 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have some sort of cheap old westclox that seems to keep time well as long as it is wound regularly
Old 11-12-13, 05:52 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Rolex
Old 11-12-13, 05:54 PM
rootboy 

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
I have a few old Breitlings from the 50s, but i don't wear them while riding. Or fishing.
That's what my plastic Ironman Timex is for.
Old 11-12-13, 05:56 PM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by oddjob2
Rolex

Yeah. Or a vintage 70s Breitling Navitimer could probably handle it. If you can handle the outlay.
Old 11-12-13, 06:30 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good god almighty people, this:

(I have a pretty retro looking Zodiac Professional, is quartz paid $75 from a pawnshop and I've had the battery replaced once in 15 years.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old 11-12-13, 06:47 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryJarcia
As much as I love vintage watches they just aren't meant for riding. Even the modern automatics with incanblonc shock protection will have issues after anything more than a leisurely bike ride. Stick to g-shocks and garmin watches or you'll be racking up quite the bill with your local watchsmith.
Well, it looks like the old man went the complete opposite way, and in the pass couple days I got to use it too.

Not vintage, but smartwatch.. I am not a watch person, I have been pushing a black chronograph Pulsar on when I ride the bike. But, a couple weeks ago, the Pulsar had to step aside for a smartwatch.. I was riding with my cell phone in my back pack.. My smartwatch buzzed and I pulled over.. Tapped the watch and took the call. I had a 3 min conversation.. Then made another call and had a quick 2 min conversation..All from my smartwatch..

Love my vintage bike, but going with the smartwatch for riding..
Old 11-12-13, 06:49 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 321 Posts
That moon watch is cool.

Frankly what I'm finding more interesting than the thread topic is the implausability of a first time poster swooping in on such an esoteric query. Just how does such a thing happen?
Old 11-12-13, 08:01 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Companies like Heuer made watches (sot mounted in dashboard) carried in rally cars in the 50's and 60's to record time intervals in rally stages. I would think those were designed to handle road shock a lot better than "regular" stopwatches. They will be quite expensive, but I would think they will have a better chance surviving mounted on a road bicycle.
Old 11-12-13, 08:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,022 Times in 1,540 Posts
They aren't really vintage but some of these have a vintage feel to them

https://www.stauer.com/category/10020...ee-all-watches

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 11-12-13 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 08:18 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
This company, Shinola, makes watches and bikes in the same building in Detroit. The frames are built by Waterford. Maybe their watches hold up to riding vibration!
Old 11-12-13, 09:41 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 2,000 Posts
Reminds me I want a Bulova Accutron, skeleton face. The watch that hums.
Old 11-12-13, 09:49 PM
16Victor

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Raleigh Competition GS, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 Trek 360, 1991 Trek 7000 MTB, 1999 Burley Rumba tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Hmmm...an old Omega Speedmaster would be a very nice choice. Or a Seamaster with the movable bezel.

My IWC Fliegerchronograph is with me almost always; it seems to be OK on a ride when I forget to take it off.

Last edited by 16Victor; 11-12-13 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 10:02 PM
spacemanz

Bikes: Frejus/Bertin/Cannondale

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Casio for good cheap watches. I have one that's waterproof to 100 meters, that's super comfortable, and a 200 meter one, that's technically better, but not as comfortable. Quartz watches aren't as cool as mechanicals, but they're lighter, more shock & water-proof, and usually cheap/disposable.
Old 11-12-13, 10:27 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Get one of those Seiko kinetic watches that make use of those jolts to keep the watch ticking. Personally I use two watches, a cheapo Timex athletic watch and nicer Citizen Eco watch that is solar powered and titanium. Both keep great time.
Old 11-12-13, 11:06 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 16Victor
Hmmm...an old Omega Speedmaster would be a very nice choice. Or a Seamaster with the movable bezel.

My IWC Fliegerchronograph is with me almost always; it seems to be OK on a ride when I forget to take it off.
Yes, because NASA spec'd a wrist watch to handle the intense g forces of space flight ;-) I was going to suggest IWC, but only because I lust after a Mark XII...
Old 11-13-13, 12:04 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I was going to say Zodiac, but see it's been mentioned.
Seiko made some nice automatics.

Does it have to be mechanical?
Because Quartz is old enough to be C&V.

An affordable modern mechanical recommendation would be a Seiko "Black Monster" or "Orange Monster".
Old 11-13-13, 02:33 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2906 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
I have a Muhle Traveler that I bought from someone behind on their bills. (and I still payed more than I need to for a watch). It's said to have a very sturdy shock resistant movement (Swiss Auto) and I believe it's only a 37 mm but thick and heavy......It's a showoff watch and bait. Watches like this that get discontinued go for bigger bucks than they ever do when they're new but I paid a relative pittance. (No I ain't selling mine. I might need to show off again someday.)

On the bike I wear my work watch, a Wittnauer quartz divers watch that I bought for $100 from some cable televised watch sales show. It's a Tag Heuer copy. Frankly I don't really even look at it that much when I ride unless I'm forcing myself to do some half-assed intervals. I've ridden for decades without a watch and find myself making it home before dark more reliably looking at the sun sometimes when the summer's ending.

But if you want some high dollar manual winder that doesn't have the bulky Swiss auto movement and doesn't weigh a ton check out the Minervas. You'll probably be paying for ruby bushings in those.

A more affordable vintage American watch might be a Hamilton. I wouldn't know how one might hold up or keep time under the duress of sitting above cotton bar wrap.
Attached Images
Minerva.jpg (23.3 KB, 47 views)
Minerva_Watch_17.jpg (88.2 KB, 35 views)
Minerva_Watch.jpg (90.4 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Zinger; 11-13-13 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 03:32 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 45 Posts
and then the WATCHMAKER pops up in this thread. Watchmaking was my first vocation and I still have that passion, but people whine about paying a fair price for repairs when their $15 watch dies.

There is NO REASON why your watch shouldnt still keep accurate time while riding your bike. If it doesnt it needs service. The Titus just needs the weight screw tightened properly. That was a common problem with many of the ETA movements used in house brands.

I totally disagree with Gerry. Even a non incabloc watch is still OK for riding. The g-forces that the incabloc protects against are when a watch hits a concrete floor, not a few bumps in the road on pneumatic tires.

My current everyday watch is a Swiss Elgin automatic. I enjoy something that ticks in thousands of beats per hour rather than 360. It doesnt care if I'm riding driving or operating air tools.

Those 214 Accutron spaceview watches are commanding a hefty price tag these days so you probably dont want to wear one of them cycling.

I'm amused at the comment that even a quartz watch is "vintage." It didnt even take a decade for quartz watches to change from a premium price to a cheap commodity.

Anyone is welcome to contact me for anything watch related. I dont do much watch or clock work anymore but I still enjoy it.

-SP
Old 11-13-13, 06:54 AM
rootboy 

Great. A watchmaker is always good to know. Thanks for chiming in, Speedy25. The main reason I don't wear my vintage watches while riding is sweat. They're all on leather straps and they get a bit soaked. Plus, they are not all completely waterproof anymore so I had one crystal "fog" on me once. Not good. But if a vintage watch is well serviced and has a good gasket in the back I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be OK for riding, or why it would loose time. And the OP says several of his have exhibited this phenomena. Kind of strange. I don't wear a watch much anymore, and only broke down and bought a Timex Ironman because my fishing buddies were getting sick of me asking what time it was and how long until low tide, etc.
But I still like these, for other occasions.

Old 11-13-13, 07:01 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I had no problem with a Seiko 5, kept accurate time bike riding. A 21 jewel automatic movement.
Old 11-13-13, 07:16 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 1,433 Posts
You really need to go old school. Forget that fancy 19th century technology.

Old 11-13-13, 07:26 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 2957 Post(s)
Liked 3,022 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
You really need to go old school. Forget that fancy 19th century technology.

Was that a graduation gift?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-13-13, 07:27 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Was that a graduation gift?
Wow.

I've been called old, but not that old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.