Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube folding bike

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Downtube folding bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 08:33 AM
JugglerDave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've now used my DT IXNS for 3 round trip bike+train+bike commutes successfully, which is 3 folds and 3 unfolds per roundtrip.

For those who have had a DT for a longer period of time, what kinds of things tend to work 'loose' and I should look at regularly? Do the frame-release and stem-release latches or nuts work loose? I have to remove the handlebar for the train folds, hoping that the stem QR there doesn't weaken as I'm most paranoid about losing steering control on a steep downhill.

Also, the seatpost has lots of scratchmarks from the combination of twisting + push/pull to lower and raise the post. Should I worry about it at all? Should I lube the seatpost to make it easier or is that a bad idea?

Any tips to ensure a safe continued use of the DT for long-term use would be appreciated. I sure wish there were some add-on latch that I could get to help hold the two wheels together when folded; it is tricky weaving my velcro on the rear bottom triangle to hold it together while allowing the wheels to turn for rolling.
Old 03-14-07, 09:12 AM
barneybarney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks yan

barney
Old 03-14-07, 01:57 PM
kb5ql
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by worker4youth
Am I the only one that is disappointed with Downtube's lack of response to customers' emails? I ordered a bike from them on Monday, and I never received a tracking number -- just the fact that it was shipped. I emailed twice, and my requests have gone unanswered.

Not really a great start to a new customer
This guy is a troll for Dahon.
Old 03-14-07, 01:58 PM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kb5ql
This guy is a troll for Dahon.
Yo mama! Oh wait, we're not in the 5th grade anymore...
Old 03-14-07, 03:49 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JugglerDave
Any tips to ensure a safe continued use of the DT for long-term use would be appreciated. I sure wish there were some add-on latch that I could get to help hold the two wheels together when folded; it is tricky weaving my velcro on the rear bottom triangle to hold it together while allowing the wheels to turn for rolling.
JugglerDave:

Congrats on your new bike. Sounds like it's working well for you.

I wouldn't worry about the quick releases on the handlebar and frame latches. The QRs themselves don't bear a lot of stress, the bolt latch does all the work. The QR just holds the bolt closed, so it really isn't that critical. I feel very secure with both the folding mechanisms. I have put a lot of stress on the handlebars in different riding situations and it's been very solid. On my recumbent, I sit directly on top of the frame hinge, and am still living to tell about it.

I would not lube the seat post! To me, that would be almost dangerous. You want the seat post to stay put, not slide around on you. Think about the scratch marks on the seat post as "battle scars". It shows you actually do RIDE the bike!

Finally, if you're looking for maintenance tips, I would take the bottom bracket out and have it greased or have anti-sieze put on the threads. If you can't do this yourself, the LBS can do it inexpensively. It's a good $20 investment to prevent future potential problems. There are tons of other things you can do to the bike for fun, as you have seen on this loooooong thread, but non is crucial like the BB grease issue in my opinion.

Have fun riding your folder!
Old 03-14-07, 04:47 PM
JugglerDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
Finally, if you're looking for maintenance tips, I would take the bottom bracket out and have it greased or have anti-sieze put on the threads. If you can't do this yourself, the LBS can do it inexpensively. It's a good $20 investment to prevent future potential problems. There are tons of other things you can do to the bike for fun, as you have seen on this loooooong thread, but non is crucial like the BB grease issue in my opinion.
Thanks SesameCrunch. Having read thru the entire thread (probably twice by now) a BB was my first priority; I already had the LBS replace the stock BB with a Shimano UN53. Aside from a minor part breakage which Yan was super quick to rectify, all is well with the IXNS. Lots of interested people on the train, and I take pride in describing the company as local (I'm in Philadelphia Center City).
Old 03-14-07, 06:02 PM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JugglerDave
Thanks SesameCrunch. Having read thru the entire thread (probably twice by now) a BB was my first priority; I already had the LBS replace the stock BB with a Shimano UN53. Aside from a minor part breakage which Yan was super quick to rectify, all is well with the IXNS. Lots of interested people on the train, and I take pride in describing the company as local (I'm in Philadelphia Center City).
Do you know the specs on the UN53? My DT is sitting at the LBS now and the shop owner has invited me to located the BB since he can't find it anywhere...
Old 03-14-07, 07:24 PM
JugglerDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JosephLMonti
Do you know the specs on the UN53? My DT is sitting at the LBS now and the shop owner has invited me to located the BB since he can't find it anywhere...
It is 115 x 68, as per one of the other threads on this forum. I got mine at www.bikesmart.com and had it within a week (ground shipping from California to Philly), $20 plus shipping.
Old 03-14-07, 08:14 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
The answer would be yes (with high probability). There may be some strange forks out on the market in which the threading starts too high on the steerer. However I would guess you should be fine.

FYI we will begin selling parts (including forks) in late April.

Thanks,
Yan
Any thought to selling additional "models" of the bikes with upgraded parts?
Old 03-15-07, 07:12 AM
lOUIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VIIIH pics

I'm still working on how to do that.

Louie
Old 03-15-07, 07:14 AM
lOUIE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about that message. The "subject matter" doesn't show up on the reply.

I am trying to figure out how to post pictures. I'm sure I will figure it out sometime.

Louie
Old 03-15-07, 07:31 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Any thought to selling additional "models" of the bikes with upgraded parts?
Not anytime soon, we are very happy with our bikes. Additionally, we are still a small company and unable to change specs and models as we wish. We must prove we can sell out of our current models before we change/add anything.

Logically speaking we can not introduce new product unless we prove we can sell current stock. Our bikes are prices well below any competitor, hence we have some marketing issues to resolve this year.

FYI H bikes are almost sold out until the next shipment. IX's should sell out by mid-April.

Thanks,
Yan

Last edited by downtube; 03-15-07 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 12:23 PM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Well, I brought mine to my LBS and have the BB replaced.
Repacking/greasing the original BB = $40. New sealed BB + install = $50. I thought it's a no brainer. The downside? It won't be available 'til Monday.
He also suggested, to just change the chainring to a 39T instead of changing the whole crank (gearing is too high). Good idea?

Last edited by DVC45; 03-15-07 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 02:09 PM
nickbtoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I replaced the chainrings on both our VIIIHs with 39T ones. An improvement but still could be better.

Nick
Old 03-15-07, 02:17 PM
JosephLMonti

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45
Repacking/greasing the original BB = $40. New sealed BB + install = $50. I thought it's a no brainer. The downside? It won't be available 'til Monday.
He also suggested, to just change the chainring to a 39T instead of changing the whole crank (gearing is too high). Good idea?
Wow, your situation is identical to mine! I wasn't willing to wait until Monday though...I called practically every bike shop in my area until I found one that stocked the sealed Shimano UN53 Series (68x115 - w/ taper) BB. I'll be trekking out to the 'burbs early Sat morn to pick it up and hand-deliver it to my LBS (where my DT currently resides).

Going w/ a smaller chainring is not a bad idea...I too find the gearing to be a tad high. Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-15-07, 04:46 PM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 53T crank up front. I switched to a Tiagara Double crankset (outer is 53T). I wanted the largest possible for the greatest speed possible.
Old 03-15-07, 07:18 PM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Not anytime soon, we are very happy with our bikes. Additionally, we are still a small company and unable to change specs and models as we wish. We must prove we can sell out of our current models before we change/add anything.

Logically speaking we can not introduce new product unless we prove we can sell current stock. Our bikes are prices well below any competitor, hence we have some marketing issues to resolve this year.

FYI H bikes are almost sold out until the next shipment. IX's should sell out by mid-April.

Thanks,
Yan
I hear you.
I own an 04 or 05. I think it's a great bike for the money. But I see people are doing upgrades and mods, which I haven't the inclination, if the skill, to do. I would be willing to pay more money for a bike that substitutes more up-line components, like BB, rear der., seat post, shifters.
Old 03-15-07, 08:17 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm ready to buy one of the Downtube bikes and do the Cruzbike conversion to make it a recumbent like SesameCrunch did. I'm having trouble deciding between the FS or NS. I'm mainly going to use this bike for air travel and then biking. NS seems lighter and smaller, but FS is attractive to have on a short wheelbase bike. Apprehension toward FS from extra weight/size and fear of "pogo-ing" especially when climbing steep grades. Is this much of an issue? Can a higher quality spring/shock be added to rear?
Old 03-15-07, 10:16 PM
Polaris43

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVC45

do the chainring mod while you have it in the shop. I had mine changed to a 40T but 39T will probably be perfect
Old 03-15-07, 10:23 PM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear you.
I own an 04 or 05. I think it's a great bike for the money. But I see people are doing upgrades and mods, which I haven't the inclination, if the skill, to do. I would be willing to pay more money for a bike that substitutes more up-line components, like BB, rear der., seat post, shifters.
Zowie:

Have you considered purchasing the upgrade components yourself and having your LBS install them? The DTs are so standardized and easy to work on, any LBS would be able to work on your bike (not true of other, more proprietary bike companies). With the low price-point of the DTs, there's a lot of room for adding upgrades and still not break the bank.

Just thinkin'...
Old 03-15-07, 11:55 PM
DVC45

Originally Posted by Polaris43
do the chainring mod while you have it in the shop. I had mine changed to a 40T but 39T will probably be perfect
That leads to my next question..... is the 39T the most ideal gear for the VIIIH? Would a 42T be a better replacement or will it feel almost like the original 48T?
And most importantly, what meassurements/dimensions should I be looking at? I see 42Tx110mm, 39Tx130mm, BCD....?

I'm looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ultegr...024628&sr=1-10 as a possible replacement. Will this work?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DVC45; 03-16-07 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-16-07, 12:03 AM
BigMacFU
Tornado of Teeth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go bigger than 42T for some high end speed. Monti, I didn't see a response to your fender question, I put freddy fenders on mine from planet bike, they're great.
Old 03-16-07, 12:18 AM
DVC45

Originally Posted by BigMacFU
I'd go bigger than 42T for some high end speed.
Wouldn't the 53T you're using make almost all gears harder to pedal? I mean the original set up is 48T...right?
Sorry, I'm a complete noob. Please do tell what I'm missing.

Last edited by DVC45; 03-16-07 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-16-07, 05:25 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I hear you.
Maybe I should have said it differently. I meant to say....it would be illogical for us to add product lines if we are unable to sell our current lines. We will stay put until sales allow us to justify an expansion.

FYI last year we changed too much too fast. It caused some financially issues, hence we will be more conservative in our growth plans in the future

Thanks,
Yan
Old 03-16-07, 06:33 AM
mcgurme
Gone kayaking

Bikes: Gary Fisher Sugar 2, Fat Chance Yo Eddy (electrified w/Currie drive system), GT ZR 4.0, Downtube IXNS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chainring

Remember, it is also possible just to add a second chainring on the inside of the crank splines, thus you can have the best of both worlds, speed with the large ring and climbing ability with the small ring. I just change mine by hand. My current combo is 52/39, and I use the 52 most of the time, but it's nice to have the 39.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.