Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A hit.....to close to home...a loss of a friend

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 07:14 AM
crosscut
cellblock 5150

Bikes: 05 Scott CR1 CF Team 05 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My friends here, I lost a friend on this side yesterday. I am sad to the point that I don't know how to convey what I am feeling. Please pray for the family, as he left two children and a loving wife.

Todd commuted to work almost everyday and rode with me during the MS150. Todd and I rode out during the MS, Saturday morning and had the time of our lives chatting it up and talking about life in general. I will miss him dearly.

Todd flatted on MS ride

leading the way

Bottom Left-goofin off withme while I try to take a picture backwards.

Local newspaper article

Cross
Old 10-15-05, 07:21 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks

PS newspaper requires sign up.
Old 10-15-05, 07:27 AM
ho hum
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry about your friend.
Old 10-15-05, 07:27 AM
badcompany9
Happy cat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Charlotte Observer requires registration, so here is a copy of the article:

Cyclist dies in collision with off-duty city bus

MELISSA MANWARE

Staff Writer

The driver of a CATS bus that collided with and killed a bicycle rider Friday on South Tryon Street had been in another wreck 30 minutes earlier and was returning the bus to the station, city officials said.

The bicyclist and bus collided in front of the entrance to the South Tryon Bus Facility near Clanton Road just before 5 p.m. The bike rider, identified as Todd Matthew Weaver, was thrown about 20 feet and landed in the driveway, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.

The bus driver, who Charlotte Area Transit System officials identified as 50-year-old Jerry Lee Miller, was not injured. A CATS driver for 4 1/2 years, Miller previously had five other on-duty wrecks, CATS spokeswoman Jean Leier said.

After Friday's wrecks, he was placed on unpaid leave. He was also tested for drugs, which is routine in wrecks with injuries. The results weren't immediately available.

At about 4:30 p.m. Friday, Miller hit a planter as he turned bus No. 707 left from Fourth Street onto South Tryon, Leier said. The wreck was minor, but Medic took six passengers to hospitals for evaluations. Miller was told to take his bus back to the South Tryon transit center and then report for a drug test.

Less than 30 minutes later, Miller, southbound on Tryon, was making a left into the parking lot when the bus collided with Weaver, who was riding north, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Sgt. Ricky Robbins said. Medics worked on 36-year-old Weaver, but pronounced him dead in the driveway. He had been wearing a helmet and other gear.

Weaver lives in Concord and works in Charlotte. Robbins said Weaver rode his bike to work every day.

Dan Seeman, who works on Clanton and was headed to a nearby hardware store, said he saw the collision. The bicyclist was a big guy, he said, and had gotten his attention.

"One moment he was alive and riding by me," Seeman said, "and the next he was dead."

Seeman said the man on the bicycle was riding fast and seemed to have his head down. The bike hit the bus near the door.

The bus driver couldn't get his front door open, Seeman said, and exited from a back one. The driver checked on the bicyclist, told Seeman to call 911, then ran for help.

Robbins said officers will complete an investigation and turn their findings over to the Mecklenburg County district attorney, who will decide if charges are appropriate.

Leier said she did not know details of Miller's other wrecks, but said they involved property damage and no injuries. She also did not know if he had been tested for drugs previously, but said drivers are terminated if they test positive.

Leier would not say whether it was uncommon for a driver to be involved in seven wrecks. She said union guidelines say drivers can face termination if they have four in 36 consecutive months. They can be fired sooner depending on the severity, she added.

Three of Miller's five previous wrecks were within 32 consecutive months, she said. After Friday, Miller had five wrecks in 32 months.

CATS supervisors report to all wrecks and have the discretion, Leier said, to allow the driver to take the bus back to the facility or to call someone else.
Old 10-15-05, 07:31 AM
badcompany9
Happy cat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel very sorry for your loss. Todd sounds like a great guy. The bus driver had proven himself incapable of driving a vehicle that big prior, have five previous wrecks in 32 months.
Old 10-15-05, 07:52 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Oh man Cross, I am so sorry to hear this. We read about this almost every day and accept it as a risk and the price of entry, but it doesn't make it any easier when it happens to somebody we know and care for.

My condolences to you and to Todd's family.

55/Rad
Old 10-15-05, 07:57 AM
spunky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. Truly a tragedy. My thoughts are with you and his family. I'm mad as hell at the ineptitude of the bus driver and the city transit for not taking adequate previous action. The driver should not have been on the road. Inexcusable.
Old 10-15-05, 07:59 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cross,

This sickens me. And it puts out live's little trials and tribulations into perspective doesn't it?

...angry about someone passing you while riding on a bike...
...mad because you can't afford a fancy, better bike...
...worried about how to increase your miles or speed...

It all seems so silly at a time like this.

Hang in there, and remember that it's how we get up after a fall that defines us.
We should all ride on in your friend's memory, because I am sure that's how he wants it.

Hip
Old 10-15-05, 08:17 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss....

That is so sad. The only thing I can offer is let it all out... Remember the good times.
Old 10-15-05, 08:38 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
That sucks. I'm really sorry to hear that you lost a friend.

I know this is a tragedy and am not out to point fingers or villify anyone. With that said, according to the witness, that could have been a driver with a perfect record in the accident. Sure, that driver should probably have been taken off the road prior, but he wasn't necessarily 100% at fault this time. This incident should serve as a reminder for all of us to always remain alert.

"Seeman said the man on the bicycle was riding fast and seemed to have his head down. The bike hit the bus near the door."
Old 10-15-05, 08:52 AM
Sharpknife
Experienced Newbie

Bikes: TREK 1000C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very Sorry

My Condolences as well.
Old 10-15-05, 08:59 AM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sorry to read this.

As an aside: WHAT is WRONG with the Charlotte bus agency? Reading the article, it sounds as though they suspected drugs were involved in the first crash (he was asked to come in for a test) - and they told him to KEEP DRIVING until he got back to the depot anyway?! Seems to me that if you think your driver is impaired, you GET HIM OFF THE ROAD!

Frankly, I suspect that even if the driver was sober when he hit the cyclist, he was too messed up on stress after the first incident to be handling his bus safely. As a matter of policy, drivers who cause accidents need to be IMMEDIATELY relieved of duty until they test clean...
Old 10-15-05, 09:47 AM
jfaul4820

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badcompany9
The Charlotte Observer requires registration, so here is a copy of the article:

Cyclist dies in collision with off-duty city bus

MELISSA MANWARE

Staff Writer

The driver of a CATS bus that collided with and killed a bicycle rider Friday on South Tryon Street had been in another wreck 30 minutes earlier and was returning the bus to the station, city officials said.

The bicyclist and bus collided in front of the entrance to the South Tryon Bus Facility near Clanton Road just before 5 p.m. The bike rider, identified as Todd Matthew Weaver, was thrown about 20 feet and landed in the driveway, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said.

The bus driver, who Charlotte Area Transit System officials identified as 50-year-old Jerry Lee Miller, was not injured. A CATS driver for 4 1/2 years, Miller previously had five other on-duty wrecks, CATS spokeswoman Jean Leier said.

After Friday's wrecks, he was placed on unpaid leave. He was also tested for drugs, which is routine in wrecks with injuries. The results weren't immediately available.

At about 4:30 p.m. Friday, Miller hit a planter as he turned bus No. 707 left from Fourth Street onto South Tryon, Leier said. The wreck was minor, but Medic took six passengers to hospitals for evaluations. Miller was told to take his bus back to the South Tryon transit center and then report for a drug test.

Less than 30 minutes later, Miller, southbound on Tryon, was making a left into the parking lot when the bus collided with Weaver, who was riding north, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Sgt. Ricky Robbins said. Medics worked on 36-year-old Weaver, but pronounced him dead in the driveway. He had been wearing a helmet and other gear.

Weaver lives in Concord and works in Charlotte. Robbins said Weaver rode his bike to work every day.

Dan Seeman, who works on Clanton and was headed to a nearby hardware store, said he saw the collision. The bicyclist was a big guy, he said, and had gotten his attention.

"One moment he was alive and riding by me," Seeman said, "and the next he was dead."

Seeman said the man on the bicycle was riding fast and seemed to have his head down. The bike hit the bus near the door.

The bus driver couldn't get his front door open, Seeman said, and exited from a back one. The driver checked on the bicyclist, told Seeman to call 911, then ran for help.

Robbins said officers will complete an investigation and turn their findings over to the Mecklenburg County district attorney, who will decide if charges are appropriate.

Leier said she did not know details of Miller's other wrecks, but said they involved property damage and no injuries. She also did not know if he had been tested for drugs previously, but said drivers are terminated if they test positive.

Leier would not say whether it was uncommon for a driver to be involved in seven wrecks. She said union guidelines say drivers can face termination if they have four in 36 consecutive months. They can be fired sooner depending on the severity, she added.

Three of Miller's five previous wrecks were within 32 consecutive months, she said. After Friday, Miller had five wrecks in 32 months.

CATS supervisors report to all wrecks and have the discretion, Leier said, to allow the driver to take the bus back to the facility or to call someone else.

Bicyclist killed after falling under wheel of cement mixer in Hallandale

By THOMAS MONNAY
sun-sentinel.com
Posted October 14 2005, 12:30 PM EDT

HALLANDALE BEACH – A man was killed Friday morning and a section of eastbound Hallandale Beach Boulevard closed for a time after the bicyclist and a cement truck collided.

Authorities at the scene said the man was riding a black 10-speed Hunter bicycle and trying to cross over the median at Hallandale Beach Boulevard and Northwest Eighth Avenue around 7:15 a.m. when he somehow lost his balance and fell onto the roadway in front on the oncoming left rear rear wheel of a cement mixer. He died there at the scene.

The victim's identification was withheld until police and contact members of his family.

The driver of the cement truck was not immediately identified.

The area is a school zone and police said the truck was traveling at the posted speed limit, news partner NBC 6 reported.

The police investigation continues.

Eastbound lanes of the boulevard were shut from east of Interstate 95 to Northwest Fourth Avenue for more than one hour.
Old 10-15-05, 09:53 AM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cross, I am so sorry for your loss.. I cant even imagine how I would feel if someone so close you got affected.. My condolences to the family...
Old 10-15-05, 10:00 AM
geog_dash

Bikes: Pake fixie. Klein Reve (for sale, https://www.theveer.net/gordons_klein)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crosscut,

I am so sorry.

Condolences to family, loved ones, and friends.
Old 10-15-05, 10:12 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Crosscut, I feel for you, and Todd's family. I can tell you from experience that you will feel better in time. Right now, I understand that you're crushed emotionally, and you're going feel that way for a while. It’s natural, but that certainly doesn’t make the pain go away. My best friend was killed on April 8th, 2001. It still hurts today, but you will gain perspective, and understanding over time.

Be strong for the family, and remember those great times you had together.
Old 10-15-05, 10:24 AM
sandy_pangle
A/K/A "Alpha Male"

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200 (Upgraded)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross..... All you can do is pray and be a friend to the family. Perhaps you could organize a benefit ride for his family or use the funds as scholarship money for his children. It is a crushing blow to lose the leader of the pack and as bad as you hurt, they hurt much worse. They are in my prayers
Old 10-15-05, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sorry to read about the death of your friend. It really does anger me that the article pointed out that he was "riding fast with his head down". What does that have to do with anything? It's like they're looking for some sort of excuse to assign some of the blame to the cyclist. I'm angry at the bus company for not taking the guy back to the yard themselves, and why wouldn't they even perform the test at the hospital to begin with?

Such an unnecessary and avoidable loss.

Koffee

Old 10-15-05, 10:37 AM
dagna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend.

With aloha,
Dagna
Old 10-15-05, 10:38 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry about your loss

my condolences
Old 10-15-05, 10:59 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Koffee beat me to it but I will reiterate - writing that Todd was "riding fast with his head down" doesn't in any way mean he was not alert. This is a disservice to the victim, his family and cyclists in general.

55/Rad

Last edited by 55/Rad; 10-15-05 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-15-05, 11:25 AM
edtrek
RPM: 85. MPH: varies.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very sorry about your friend, my prayers are with his family and you.
Sounds like a great friend.

Hang in there.
Ed
Old 10-15-05, 11:29 AM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
made me sick reading about it....

good point by hipcycler about how that story puts things in their proper place...

cross, posting that story is a good work in todd's memory: each of us who reads it will be more aware, more careful, and more appreciative of life as a result....

Last edited by Ostuni; 10-15-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-15-05, 11:42 AM
puddin' legs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross, condolences to you and to his family.
Old 10-15-05, 11:57 AM
Jared88
Nightrider

Bikes: Ellsworth , Scott , Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sorry , hope you and Todd's family can get through this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.