Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can I see your Miyata?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can I see your Miyata?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 06:21 PM
jar351

Bikes: 1988 Miyata 615, 1985 Team Miyata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
...and an excuse for me to post one of my '85 Team:

Old 01-27-12, 07:47 PM
crashmo
Shaven Sasquatch

Bikes: Salsa Colossal

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She's on Craigslist.
Attached Images
Old 01-28-12, 01:48 AM
sttlesks

Bikes: 1984 Miyata Nine Twelve, 1988 Centurion LeMans,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1984 912

Old 01-29-12, 11:42 AM
arimajol

Bikes: Some old steel, some new steel

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I just picked up a 60cm one of these. It's a nice bike, almost all original 600....but looking at this thread I'm getting jealous of some of the younger 912's with much cooler paintjobs!!

Originally Posted by sttlesks
1984 912

Old 02-06-12, 08:19 AM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
I think I introduced it briefly long ago. I made some modifications, so up again: my SkyExpension.

This SkyExpension is basicly the same frame as Greg Herbold's 1993 NORBA DH winning Miyata Elevation 12,000. The front triangle looks and is pretty similar to that of Miyata's hardtails: 3 carbon tubes, a unique strong bonding proces and cast aluminium lugs. It is quite light and has a slooping toptube. The tail is welded aluminium. The pivot points and swing links are positioned and designed in such way that the suspension acts with progressive resistance. The damper unit is develloped in close cooperation with Yahama. The Japanese and Greg put a lot engineering effort in this frame.

The frame shows a red to blue fade. It is a kind of strong 'electric' red and blue. The same effect shows the green ano of the DH3 fork. The original fork is a RondWP Hydro Pro, what is a very nice and good fork, but when building I had this just serviced DH3 ready within reach.

Brief specs:
Marzocchi DH3
Race Face EX Titanium (I think these were built by Chris Dekerf)
Syncros Titanium bar, Onzas
Race Face XY
Sup Ceramics
Grafton Speed Controller cantis, Odyssey boosters
XTR

If you bought one new in this spec it would have set you back around 10,000 guilders or more. A pricey piece, so a rare gem.

Thank you. I hope you like.

Greg Herbold racing his' >>>

Old 02-06-12, 08:47 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I saw one of those miyata's in The Hague the other day, tubes bonded in alloy lugs. It was a hardtail though, with full XT. Unfortunately it was chained to a pole and apparantly used as a pub run bike!
Old 02-06-12, 09:49 AM
Elev12k

SkyRunner perhaps? Carbon tubing, clear aluminium lugs?
Old 02-06-12, 10:39 AM
Drummerboy1975

Bikes: '81 Fuji Royale/ '96 Rockhopper

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
I think I introduced it briefly long ago. I made some modifications, so up again: my SkyExpension.

This SkyExpension is basicly the same frame as Greg Herbold's 1993 NORBA DH winning Miyata Elevation 12,000. The front triangle looks and is pretty similar to that of Miyata's hardtails: 3 carbon tubes, a unique strong bonding proces and cast aluminium lugs. It is quite light and has a slooping toptube. The tail is welded aluminium. The pivot points and swing links are positioned and designed in such way that the suspension acts with progressive resistance. The damper unit is develloped in close cooperation with Yahama. The Japanese and Greg put a lot engineering effort in this frame.

The frame shows a red to blue fade. It is a kind of strong 'electric' red and blue. The same effect shows the green ano of the DH3 fork. The original fork is a RondWP Hydro Pro, what is a very nice and good fork, but when building I had this just serviced DH3 ready within reach.

Brief specs:
Marzocchi DH3
Race Face EX Titanium (I think these were built by Chris Dekerf)
Syncros Titanium bar, Onzas
Race Face XY
Sup Ceramics
Grafton Speed Controller cantis, Odyssey boosters
XTR

If you bought one new in this spec it would have set you back around 10,000 guilders or more. A pricey piece, so a rare gem.

Thank you. I hope you like.

Greg Herbold racing his' >>>

If you haven't all ready, you should p[ost a pic of this pic on here... https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/
Old 02-06-12, 12:49 PM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Elev12k
SkyRunner perhaps? Carbon tubing, clear aluminium lugs?
Could be, I didn't check the decals... That would be awkward, glossing over tiny details in front of a big bar crowd, full of my friends. I like to keep my habits secret, see
Old 02-06-12, 02:10 PM
Elev12k

1991 SkyRunner

The 1990 model was different, but shared the black/silver look. There were more bonded XT Kogas, but Koga sold relatively many of the 90 and 91 SkyRunner model. Top class bikes.

@Drummerboy
Thx. I will sure put it up there somewhere later.
Old 02-07-12, 02:41 PM
Elev12k

A Koga-Miyata hardtail frame, in this case full aluminium. A couple design features:
- snake stays that curl round the tyre and offer clearance for rings
- delta force monostay with integrated stops, with some models enabled use of a small damper (softail setup)
- no bridge between chainstays, to prevent mud collecting
- crud catcher mounts
- anti chain suck mounts

The frame does show resemblance with the full suspension. The basic layout of the front triangle is the same and they do share some frameparts. Greg raced these hardtails (sometimes in softail setup) in dual slalom events.

Old 02-07-12, 08:53 PM
Johnny Rebel

Bikes: 2007 Bianchi Castro Valley, 1985 Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A 1983 Miyata 310 I picked up on the side of the road for $5. Nothing fancy. My 'new' winter bike.

Suffice it to say, it was a typical dusty bike with 'rotted' tires, disgustingly melted brake hoods, rusty cables, no chain, etc. It smelled as bad as it looked. But all it needed was a chain, bartape, cables, elbow grease, and I had some old 27" whitewalls laying around. I just got it fixed up yesterday, still have to fine-tune, but after one test ride, I like the ride! Gearing's too high for me, but oh well. If I like her I might remedy that later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
miyata 310.jpg (97.4 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg
miyata 310 s.jpg (97.7 KB, 450 views)

Last edited by Johnny Rebel; 02-10-12 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-07-12, 09:44 PM
Mr. Hobbes
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
13 pages of miyatas and no 914s?
Old 02-07-12, 11:07 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hobbes
13 pages of miyatas and no 914s?
It looks like there's a picture on the 2nd page, but the link has long been dead.
Old 02-08-12, 12:06 PM
Elev12k

A bit more of my Koga

The Delta force monostay and a pic of one with cables routed

Old 02-08-12, 12:10 PM
Elev12k

1989 Koga-Miyata RidgeRunner

The same frame as Greg conquered the 1990 UCI downhill world title with. He had a Rock Shox RS-1 fitted, this frame an American built Tange Switchblades. This is an aftermarket fork. The original fork is a nice lugged unicrown.

I have the intention to build it with Dirtdrops.

"RidgeRunner" >>

The frame is built with Hardtlite FM-1 triple butted Spiral Spline from Miyata's own tubing mill >>

Do todays World's winning frames come with a Lifetime Guarantee?? >>

The American Built Switchblades uses more oversized legs than the regular Switchblades. The topcaps are metal intead of rubber and the crown is anodized >>

Old 02-11-12, 06:53 PM
zmensing

Bikes: 1989 Miyata 618GT, 1991 Koga Miyata FullPro ex-Tulip

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally got my FullPro all put together! Can't wait to go out for the first ride. Just needs some handlebar tape (waiting on that until all the last tweaks are made).

Old 02-16-12, 09:29 AM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^That looks great! Love the paint. What groupset did you hang on it? Those MTBs above are totally rad as well.

Here is my humble offering, a 1992 Triplecross built up as an all-purpose commuter. I still need to get a rack for the back (and black cable housing for the rear brake -- I ran out ) but otherwise I've started commuting on it. Thanks to preynmantis for selling me the frame & barcons!

Untitled by orrery84, on Flickr

Most parts were transferred from a '90 Triplecross that was too big for me. Stem/Handlebars are Nitto, Deore V-brakes, and using long-pull Tektro levers.
Old 02-16-12, 03:32 PM
zmensing

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Orrery
^That looks great! Love the paint. What groupset did you hang on it? Those MTBs above are totally rad as well.

Here is my humble offering, a 1992 Triplecross built up as an all-purpose commuter. I still need to get a rack for the back (and black cable housing for the rear brake -- I ran out ) but otherwise I've started commuting on it. Thanks to preynmantis for selling me the frame & barcons!
Thanks! It's mostly DA 7800, with 7700 crank and pedals. The space age 7800 crank just didn't seem like a good fit. There are more pictures in another post: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Miyata-FullPro
That Triplecross looks really nice, like a super-solid commuter.
Old 02-16-12, 03:54 PM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zmensing
Finally got my FullPro all put together! Can't wait to go out for the first ride. Just needs some handlebar tape (waiting on that until all the last tweaks are made).

Hey, i got its slightly smaller brother. Found it a year ago on marktplaats (the Dutch equivalent of craigs list)
Old 02-16-12, 07:32 PM
zmensing

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pullup
Hey, i got its slightly smaller brother. Found it a year ago on marktplaats (the Dutch equivalent of craigs list)
Nice! If you ever consider getting rid of it, or if you happened to need a bigger frame, let me know! Mine's a bit on the large size for me, but I just fell in love with the frame so I'm going with it. I think I have almost the same bar tape you do as well. I haven't put it on yet, waiting to make last minute adjustments, and probably swap out the stem, but it's half black-half red tape too.
Old 02-17-12, 03:50 AM
pullup

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zmensing
Nice! If you ever consider getting rid of it, or if you happened to need a bigger frame, let me know! Mine's a bit on the large size for me, but I just fell in love with the frame so I'm going with it. I think I have almost the same bar tape you do as well. I haven't put it on yet, waiting to make last minute adjustments, and probably swap out the stem, but it's half black-half red tape too.
Actually this one is on the upper limit of I what like to ride. the advert claimed it was a 53 but it turned out to be a 56 when I measured.
If I hadn't seen the thread you made showing the bike last year maybe I would have left it alone because I now have a couple of bikes in that size ( my collection is suddenly mushrooming )
But your bike looked so supernice I decided to bring this one home and indeed it rides like a dream, altough it will probably be the second in line if i decide to get riding.
Old 02-17-12, 10:22 AM
oggypop

Bikes: 1978 Peugeot UO-8, 198? Motobecane Sport Jubile - 1985 Peugeot UO-10 - 1980 Schwinn World Tourist - Volkscycle SS Custom - 2007 Orbea Volata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently restored an 83' Twelve Hundred. Custom paint. Very fast bike.

Old 02-17-12, 11:24 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 82 Posts
In the almost three years I've been pursuing C&V seven or eight Miyatas have passed through my hands, and five are currently in the family stable, one on its way out. Surprising it's taken me so long to post in this thread!

I have bought two since the first of this year, this being the first, a 1990 TripleCross mixte (which I don't think the catalog even mentions as existing). I got it for a very nice price from C&Ver slushlover2 at the Madison Bike Swap. It'll serve for daughter who's taking a semester off from college...her other bike, back on campus, is also a Miyata mixte. This one has had some changes, not sure if those were by slushlover or another owner, but is in very nice shape. Not sure we really need the low gearing here in the flatlands! The original Miyata fenders are a nice touch!

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 02-17-12 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I evidently can't count.
Old 02-17-12, 11:35 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 82 Posts
Here's my other recent acquisition: a 1986 Pro Miyata. It's had some changes (to Shimano! ) which I am going to change out myself. I'm now thinking of going to late Superbe Pro with 7 sp indexing rather than restoring it to Sprint. The pic is as-found, including that hideous saddle. And seriously, blue bar tape??

This bike is replacing my 1988 model 1200, which is too small at 50cm. One way or another it looks like a Miyata is always going to be in my collection.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.